Author Topic: Franco Columbus win in 1981  (Read 10069 times)

Harry Spotter

• Getbig II
Re: Franco Columbus win in 1981
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2008, 04:19:33 AM »
Notwithstanding that Columbo got a gift, the guy's low lat insertions look incredible in that front double-bi on the first page.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2008, 05:08:58 AM »
1. Platz
2. Padilla
3. Callender
4. Dickerson
5. Jessup
L

The Wizard

• Getbig III
  • Old School is THE School
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2008, 06:43:57 AM »
Yes he did. End of Thread.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2008, 01:54:43 PM »
Franco was actually in great shape, his upper body looked very thick and hard (great abs) and he even had calves. It was just that his lack of quad separation was so non-existent, there is no way he deserved higher than fifth place. One thing I did notice was that Franco was flexing all the time, even when everyone was standing relaxed in the line-up. Back in 1981, when the bodybuilders stood in line for the relaxed round, everyone was really relaxed, not like today where everyone looks like they are smuggling grapefruits under their arms. Franco was flexing his whole upper body all the time which made him look harder than everyone else. When I look at the pictures now, Padilla looks almost perfect but when I was watching the show live, he looked almost too gaunt and lean and he wasn't very aggressive onstage. Franco was very aggressive as was Roy Callendar, who was in the best shape of his life and was very confident onstage. Platz had the best combination of size (about 15 pounds heavier than the year before), definition and just total confidence that he had done everything right all year long to look the best he could have possibly looked. The crowd was behind Platz all the way and I really feel like he should have won that night.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2008, 06:40:59 PM »
tough call...but I would say between Padilla or Platz....it would be Padilla over tom by a close margin

The only reason would be symmetry.  Tom's lower half just over powers his upper body

Moosejay

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2008, 06:44:15 PM »
Franco was actually in great shape, his upper body looked very thick and hard (great abs) and he even had calves. It was just that his lack of quad separation was so non-existent, there is no way he deserved higher than fifth place. One thing I did notice was that Franco was flexing all the time, even when everyone was standing relaxed in the line-up. Back in 1981, when the bodybuilders stood in line for the relaxed round, everyone was really relaxed, not like today where everyone looks like they are smuggling grapefruits under their arms. Franco was flexing his whole upper body all the time which made him look harder than everyone else. When I look at the pictures now, Padilla looks almost perfect but when I was watching the show live, he looked almost too gaunt and lean and he wasn't very aggressive onstage. Franco was very aggressive as was Roy Callendar, who was in the best shape of his life and was very confident onstage. Platz had the best combination of size (about 15 pounds heavier than the year before), definition and just total confidence that he had done everything right all year long to look the best he could have possibly looked. The crowd was behind Platz all the way and I really feel like he should have won that night.

Good post...Arnold likely told Franco to keep tensing his muscles when everyone wlse was not....just an Austrian trick...another typical, Austrian trick.... ;)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2008, 07:01:07 PM »
Too bad Danny Padilla wasn't Arnold's best friend. He would've won the '81 Olympia.  :-X

100% true

tomplatz

• Getbig I
  • "DareD to Dream"
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2008, 08:41:13 PM »
Thank you.  Great post.  Mind if I use it?  Send me an email as I donʻt come here much.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2008, 08:56:37 PM »
Thank you.  Great post.  Mind if I use it?  Send me an email as I donʻt come here much.

Tom,
  How those legs looking these days?

And don't lie that you dont come here often! ;D

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2008, 11:34:32 PM »
From those pics, a few competitors got robbed.
\

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2008, 05:13:17 AM »
I admit that I'm not really an expert on judging this stuff but to me, from those pictures, I would put Platz well ahead of everyone. Well ahead.

DITO

WOOSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2008, 11:08:07 AM »

Is this the real Tom Platz?  If so, get that man some Blue Stars!

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2008, 02:36:58 PM »
Could a physique look more perfect than Padilla's?

The problem with Platz was that he was a little narrow (and his legs still over-powered his upper body). Imagine if he hadn't torn his bicep the next year!

Moosejay

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2008, 02:38:31 PM »
Either could have / should have won...and yes, Padilla pretty much has no weak points...

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2008, 06:01:58 PM »
Could a physique look more perfect than Padilla's?

The problem with Platz was that he was a little narrow (and his legs still over-powered his upper body). Imagine if he hadn't torn his bicep the next year!

Tom destroyed that midget.