Author Topic: Recent PR's  (Read 17837 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: Recent PR's
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 06:48:18 AM »
5/7/08 - Bench 1x1x385<<< I dont bench but thought it would be a good idea to see where my strength is at on it. Not too bad?
            Standing OH Exts 1x8x225  8)

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »
5/7/08 - Bench 1x1x385<<< I dont bench but thought it would be a good idea to see where my strength is at on it. Not too bad?
            Standing OH Exts 1x8x225  8)

Nice Lift. How is your training coming for pelican?

Monopoly

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 10:16:18 AM »
Nice Lift. How is your training coming for pelican?

Monopoly

Thanks! Its good but not a ton of implement training. Im going to mimic some of the events this weekend. Pretty much all events next week though.

How about you? Hows the recovery coming?

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 06:31:14 PM »
5/10/08 - Stones 1x3x330 <<<Never tried doing reps with a 330lb stone before. Felt good to get my hands on a REAL stone again.

Slammed a MAXIMUS shake in 3 seconds flat! New PR!!! :D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 07:19:44 PM »
5/10/08 - Stones 1x3x330 <<<Never tried doing reps with a 330lb stone before. Felt good to get my hands on a REAL stone again.

Slammed a MAXIMUS shake in 3 seconds flat! New PR!!! :D

lmao NICE PR ON THE MAXIMUS!

i'm calling my pr in five weeks.. i will be benching 455! AND SO IT WAS WRITTEN!  >:( >:(

BECAUSE i hit 435 last wednesday.. i'm pounding the benchpress to get another 20lbs on it in a month.. or die!  ;D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 09:22:07 PM »
Tonight I went to the gym with the intention of getting a couple PR's on upper body work. I thought I should re-test my OHP max. I have hit 305 before, but when I put 315 on the bar it seemed impossible. Tonight I put 275 up with no leg drive and 295 with minimal leg drive. I put 315 on the bar and unracked it. It felt so light it made me laugh that I ever missed it before. As I exploded up, my right knee popped! I almost had it all the way locked out but could not straighten my knee in fear that something would snap. I was forced to limp out of the gym so that I could get home and ice my knees ASAP.

That was seriously disappointing. I think 325 may have been possible. I even wrapped my knees for fuccks sake! >:(

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2008, 03:23:17 PM »
Lift, what stance do you use for you overhead presses, one foot forward one back, or wide foot stance.  I have tryed both, sem to be more comfortable using one forward one back like olympic lifters.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 07:23:28 PM »
Lift, what stance do you use for you overhead presses, one foot forward one back, or wide foot stance.  I have tryed both, sem to be more comfortable using one forward one back like olympic lifters.

I dont double dip like oly lifters. Not because I dont want to but because I could seriously mess my knees up like that. Feet about shoulder width, maybe slightly more. I should try to go wider to get more power but its just how I am comfortable for now. Small dip, flare the lats, grip the bar as hard as I can, explode up, and push to lockout. Nothin special but I will be working on it.

If you can do it, use the oly stance. It will definitely get you farther than my clunky form. ;D

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2008, 11:32:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply Lift.  I deffinately prefer the Oly stance.  I don't see much overhead or millitary pressing in my gym, and normally have quite a gallery watching when I'm doing it.

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 12:31:33 PM »
Thanks! Its good but not a ton of implement training. Im going to mimic some of the events this weekend. Pretty much all events next week though.

How about you? Hows the recovery coming?

Shitty  :'( 

Did some really high rack pulls last week, worked up to 405x10 with no pain. Also front squats at 225x5 with no pain. Sadly, I was paying for it the next day so I may have pushed a little to hard. No way I will make the comp. It will come back though, just going to take longer than I wanted...

What's up with your knee?

Monopoly

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 01:10:52 PM »
Shitty  :'( 

Did some really high rack pulls last week, worked up to 405x10 with no pain. Also front squats at 225x5 with no pain. Sadly, I was paying for it the next day so I may have pushed a little to hard. No way I will make the comp. It will come back though, just going to take longer than I wanted...

What's up with your knee?

Monopoly

At least you realize you need rest, most dont. Nice lifts nevertheless!

My knees are garbage, haha. My right knee has been giving me problems as of late. I dont know why, its usually the left one! I have been icing it and taking my joint formula and it feels okay again. I just need to remember to warm up thoroughly before anything involving the knees even the slightest bit.

Time for some lower body work tonight so it better be ready.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2008, 11:11:46 AM »
5/14/08 - Suitcase Style DL 1x3x235 each hand <<<Could have gone higher but it was at the end and my grip was DEAD.
              Double Overhand Grip DL 1x1x505 <<<The DL is not the PR but the double overhand grip IS!

The Wall

• Getbig II
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »
OHP has always been my thing Im a huge fan of it...heres a vid of my doing 335 (i realize you cant see the 10's on the ends of the bar but they are there!!) anyways my best so far is 365 hoping to get 405 by the end of summer

BuffGoddess

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Failure is not an option, train hard, get big.
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
Bench 315
Squat 405
Deadlift 425
Not bad for Masters...and that's "RAW" boys...no gear...

Oh yeah, I bench 235 for sets of 12...weep... ;D
I'm 5'5" and 175 @ 16% bodyfat...no it's measured, not guessed...

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2008, 12:42:28 AM »
Bench 315
Squat 405
Deadlift 425
Not bad for Masters...and that's "RAW" boys...no gear...

Oh yeah, I bench 235 for sets of 12...weep... ;D
I'm 5'5" and 175 @ 16% bodyfat...no it's measured, not guessed...

I just feel sorry for you to be honest. :'(
As empty as paradise

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2008, 11:36:41 AM »
OHP has always been my thing Im a huge fan of it...heres a vid of my doing 335 (i realize you cant see the 10's on the ends of the bar but they are there!!) anyways my best so far is 365 hoping to get 405 by the end of summer

Id call that a "jerk" as opposed to an over head press, but its still damn strong!

Jason

The Wall

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2008, 12:02:42 PM »
Id call that a "jerk" as opposed to an over head press, but its still damn strong

I turned 21 in march and missed 405 by around 40lbs so I got alot of work left to do this summer to catch up to my goal.  Hopefully all this pressing pays off when It comes to my strongman in july, Log got the best of me at my last competition so Im ready to redeem myself

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2008, 05:07:04 PM »
I turned 21 in march and missed 405 by around 40lbs so I got alot of work left to do this summer to catch up to my goal.  Hopefully all this pressing pays off when It comes to my strongman in july, Log got the best of me at my last competition so Im ready to redeem myself

Get after it man!  Surely it will pay pff.

Jason

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »

It is not a press.

It is a jerk.

Very impressive of course.

But the carry-over from jerks to shoulder strength isn't always 100%.

I was told about a fairly small bloke who were able to clean and jerk an outstanding 365 lbs.

But was so ashamed of his standing shoulder press, that he would stand in a corner doing them - training with 135 lbs on the bar. Don't know how true that story is, but it tells you something.

But as JP mentioned, great lift. And you should do well in the Apollons axle and the log lift come summertime.
As empty as paradise

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »

I just feel sorry for you to be honest. :'(

You can find her pictures online if you are really bored at work and you look hard enough.  She still looks pretty much like a woman, just a very muscular one. 

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2008, 02:45:49 PM »
Kettlebell Toss 1x20x48kg <<<Trying to simulate a keg as best I can. The KB is 50lbs heavier than the keg and it was hitting 8-10 feet high. The keg will be to 13' and only 55lbs.

Cobble Stone Load 1x4x280 No tacky

Hedge, I have seen some training vids before where (Chinese?) guys do strict presses with what looked like 120lbs or so and then jerk 300+lbs like its nothing. The technique is everything. I can get 305 standing but only 265-275 seated.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2008, 10:04:14 PM »
I havent been in the gym for a while because I was doing recovery work for my comp. Unfortunately it did not happen due to a tornado having ripped the town in half a couple days prior. The whole festival the town has every year was called off. One person died and something like 13 were injured. I tried to contact the promoter but got no reply. I hope he and everyone else are doing okay now!

Have you heard anything, Monopoly?

First full effort day in a couple weeks went pretty well:

RAWWWWW Squats 3x5x455 <<<Havent been here in a while! It felt great!
Leg Curl Machine (used as single leg curl) 2x8xfull stack (200lbs I think)

I needed a day like this after not getting to compete. Next comp in a month though, I'll be more than ready.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2008, 10:10:08 AM »
I havent been in the gym for a while because I was doing recovery work for my comp. Unfortunately it did not happen due to a tornado having ripped the town in half a couple days prior. The whole festival the town has every year was called off. One person died and something like 13 were injured. I tried to contact the promoter but got no reply. I hope he and everyone else are doing okay now!

I needed a day like this after not getting to compete. Next comp in a month though, I'll be more than ready.

WOW, total bummer about the competition.  I hope everyone's OK.   :-\

Keep up the good work! 

:)

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2008, 10:24:05 AM »
Hey bud,

Such a shitty situation. They actually did have the contest. I thought it was off, and then someone got ahold of me late on Saturday morning asking if they could use one of our stones!

Ended up going down in Loveland at some guys place. Was a decent turnout actually. I didn't hear your name so I wondered if you heard anything. I guess Willie posted something over on the Anvil Friday? I didn't see it.

Keep training hard, I think my back may be ready for the next one  8)

BTW, Pat and his family/home are okay, guess it just missed them.

Monopoly

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2008, 10:40:38 AM »
Hey bud,

Such a shitty situation. They actually did have the contest. I thought it was off, and then someone got ahold of me late on Saturday morning asking if they could use one of our stones!

Ended up going down in Loveland at some guys place. Was a decent turnout actually. I didn't hear your name so I wondered if you heard anything. I guess Willie posted something over on the Anvil Friday? I didn't see it.

Keep training hard, I think my back may be ready for the next one  8)

BTW, Pat and his family/home are okay, guess it just missed them.

Monopoly

Yeah, I just heard from Pat (just now!) and another guy who saw that on the Anvil. Im just about as pissed as I could ever be! I would have shown up in Windsor if my gf didnt realize that the news said the tornado was in Windsor. I checked the site and emailed Pat (he had no power I guess) and couldnt find anything about it other than the huge red lettering that said "PELICAN FEST HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO EXTREME WEATHER ISSUES!"

The next one is only a silver, I may have to travel to another state to compete.

Good luck with the back! See you in comp soon Im sure.