Author Topic: Eugene Sandow - The First Bodybuilder ?  (Read 15366 times)

stan55

• Getbig I
Eugene Sandow - The First Bodybuilder ?
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:10:46 AM »
Does anybody have any biographical info or photos of Eugene Sadow?

I read a little about him years ago in Bob Hoffman's Strength & Health Magazine. The article was accompanied by a couple of photos.
That guy was amazing. He was ahead of his time.
 :)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: Eugene Sandow - The First Bodybuilder ?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:48:18 AM »
Have you seen: www.sandowplus.co.uk ?

:) .

stan55

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 03:21:15 PM »
Thanks for the link BB.
There's so,me really great stuff there.

I had forgotten about George F. Jowett.
Brings back memories.

I remember reading about another oldtime strongman, named Angus McCaskell, who toured with P.T. Barnham's Show for awhile.
Mccaskell was about 6 ft. 10 in. tall and weighed nearly 400 lbs.
He alledgedly had a 66 inch chest.

Thanks again.

Warren

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »

Have you seen my baseball?   ???   ???   ??? 

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 06:38:12 PM »
B.I.B ....BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 06:39:28 PM »
i have these dumbells that are over a 100 years old. Eugene marketed them and sent them around the world. the box is pretty frail, as well as some of the manuals, but the dumbells are like new.

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 10:23:13 PM »
i have these dumbells that are over a 100 years old. Eugene marketed them and sent them around the world. the box is pretty frail, as well as some of the manuals, but the dumbells are like new.
wow man thats pretty cool    thanks for sharing

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 06:34:14 AM »
friedrich jahn 1778-1852 opened what is to be thought the first bodybuilding gym. hippolyte triat is probably the guy to show signifegent developement 1813-1881. in america prof d. l. dowd was perhaps the first to show a before and after pic he was born 1854. all these guys predate sandow who was born in 1867, he was the guy who promoted and profited from it the most. you could say he was the arnold s of his time.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 11:16:42 AM »
the only known pic of hippolyte. looking at him maybe that 's where the word hippy came from.
F

Moosejay

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 09:34:04 AM »

Hey Haz.

Great stuff. I have the bells...in a metal box, tho. Still has a polishing rag inside.

Also had sandpow chest expander, in pristine shape.

Mike

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 08:48:13 PM »
i have a bunch of british bb. mags from the 80's that have a 5 part series on the life of Sandow, with a lot of pics. if you guys are interested i could scan them and post here. let me know.

rik

Moosejay

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 04:28:39 PM »
i have a bunch of british bb. mags from the 80's that have a 5 part series on the life of Sandow, with a lot of pics. if you guys are interested i could scan them and post here. let me know.

rik

I, for one, would be interested....

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 01:24:45 PM »
Me too, Haz!

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 04:01:36 PM »
I, for one, would be interested....

i'll try to scan them soon!  it's not easy being a retired and lazy getbigger. haha

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 11:37:21 AM »
Funk, I could be wrong here but I believe that Jahn was more known at the Father of Gymnastics and actually had nothing to do with bodybuilding per se. I have to admit that gymnastics did increase upper body muscle size though.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 09:38:53 PM »

That is very very cool, where the hell did you get those items??????

What is the current market value of them????

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 10:23:07 AM »
That is very very cool, where the hell did you get those items??????

What is the current market value of them????

a sports memorabilia(sp?) guy was selling off and someone told him to contact me. not sure their value, but he gave me a sweet deal. things like that could be worth alot to the right guy, but if there is no one offering you anything then they are just paperweights. doesn't matter though, i don't think i'd sell them.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 12:47:52 PM »
a sports memorabilia(sp?) guy was selling off and someone told him to contact me. not sure their value, but he gave me a sweet deal. things like that could be worth alot to the right guy, but if there is no one offering you anything then they are just paperweights. doesn't matter though, i don't think i'd sell them.

Hell yeah!!.... I would love to own those....and youre right, those are things old timers like us would never part with....

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
i'm an idiot, but i'm trying to figure out how do post these articles.

rik

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 06:08:19 PM »
Does anybody have any biographical info or photos of Eugene Sadow?

I read a little about him years ago in Bob Hoffman's Strength & Health Magazine. The article was accompanied by a couple of photos.
That guy was amazing. He was ahead of his time.

You do know that Eugene Sandow was bi/gay right?

Yes, he was married to a woman, Blanche Brookes Sandow, and fathered two daughters, but he traveled (without his wife) a lot for work, performing feats of strength and showing off his body, and his wife deeply resented the fact that so many men and women openly admired her husband as the "perfect" physical specimen.  “Things became even more complicated due to Sandow developing a deep relationship with a close male friend named Martinus Sieveking. He spoke of Sieveking as his ‘great and inseparable friend’, and they became long-time companions.”

Eventually Sandow dumped his wife and toured the country posing and flexing with his piano playing boyfriend, Martinus, in tow.  They put on shows together with Martinus playing the piano and Sandow posing for the audience.  The two men eventually set up house together in NYC.  Sandow even got Martinus into bodybuilding.

They didn’t call it that at the time but Sandow also engaged in what we today call private posing . . .  ::)

http://www.sandowmuseum.com/sandowlife.html

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 08:50:17 PM »

They didn’t call it that at the time but Sandow also engaged in what we today call private posing . . .  ::)

http://www.sandowmuseum.com/sandowlife.html

And how on earth could someone verify such things that happened over a century ago??? In the horse and buggy days????

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 12:13:08 AM »
You could ask the same question of almost any historical claim.

As I have noted in other threads, people who study the past (historians, anthropologists, climatologists, biographers, paleontologists, Egyptologists, osteologists, etc.) often use sources and methods which are specific to their discipline that the casual observer would not necessarily think of, understand, or even accept as “proof.”

If I told you it were possible right now to sample the air quality on the planet from 5000, 10,000, and 20,000 thousand years ago and by comparing air quality then with the air quality now draw legitimate conclusions about changes in the planet’s air quality and composition, would you believe that were possible?  A skeptic might ask, “how could we possibly know what the air quality was like on earth 5K, 10K or 20K years ago?”  It is possible to know this.  How isn’t really important…

Similarly, with regard to Sandow the details of how we know this don’t really matter; suffice to say there is ample definitive proof that Sandow engaged in "private posing" (again, it was not called that at the time) and any historian who is familiar with his life would corroborate it.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 02:57:34 PM »
Bay that post you made about Sandow being gay doesn't seem to show he had sex with any guy.  No matter what, posing for fags still don't make you a fag.  Especially when money is being paid.  Many people do things they normally wouldn't do but when money is involved it makes things different.  Do you have pictures of Sandow having sex with a man.  DO you have any man he had sex with him to say that.  As much as I wouldn't pose for guys and let them touch me, I am pretty sure if the money was right I could fake it.
No Worries 4 me

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »
Bay that post you made about Sandow being gay doesn't seem to show he had sex with any guy.  No matter what, posing for fags still don't make you a fag.  Especially when money is being paid.  Many people do things they normally wouldn't do but when money is involved it makes things different.  Do you have pictures of Sandow having sex with a man.  DO you have any man he had sex with him to say that.  As much as I wouldn't pose for guys and let them touch me, I am pretty sure if the money was right I could fake it.

True, I don't have a video tape of him having sex with Martinus so I could never "prove" it.  On the other hand, I don't have video of anyone having sex during the 19th century.  ::)

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 08:14:54 PM »
True, I don't have a video tape of him having sex with Martinus so I could never "prove" it.  On the other hand, I don't have video of anyone having sex during the 19th century.  ::)

Well get going.  Check Ebay.  There has to some for you ;D
No Worries 4 me