Author Topic: Shoulders never get sore the day after? try HIGH reps!!!!!  (Read 7962 times)

Boost

• Getbig V
Shoulders never get sore the day after? try HIGH reps!!!!!
« on: April 26, 2008, 04:03:57 PM »
I've found my shoulders never typically get sore the day after a workout so i tried this:

Side laterals, lightweight, 5 sets very little rest between sets, 30+ reps per set
Front raises - the same as above
Military press- slow negative again lightweight 20-30 reps

Ive never felt this type of soreness in my shoulders before. Hopefully it will spark some growth!

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: Shoulders never get sore the day after? try HIGH reps!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 06:02:29 PM »
But thats assuming that, in order for muscle growth, you must experience DOMS. This isn't necessarily true.

I could do 1000 reps of 5lb db curls and my bi's would be sore, but that doesn't mean that my bi's will grow.
No doubt about it...

supreme

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 01:41:07 AM »
I wouldn't do so many reps because it mostly targets your slow twitch muscle fibers, and they dont grow (so much).
Though it could be nice to do it once in a while just to get the feeling

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 03:35:15 AM »
I've found my shoulders never typically get sore the day after a workout so i tried this:

Side laterals, lightweight, 5 sets very little rest between sets, 30+ reps per set

Ive never felt this type of soreness in my shoulders before. Hopefully it will spark some growth!

once again; you dont need to be sore to grow. what you need to focus on is getting your shoulder press poundages moving upwards. then you add in some side laterals (or not..depending on your routine). front raises are basically worthless.

what you posted is a waste of time.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 07:24:51 AM »
once again; you dont need to be sore to grow. what you need to focus on is getting your shoulder press poundages moving upwards. then you add in some side laterals (or not..depending on your routine). front raises are basically worthless.

what would you suggest as a worth time shoulder workout slaveboy

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 07:30:04 AM »

Some years ago I performed a few shoulder workouts putting iso work first, and saving presses for last.

I was coming off a very minor shoulder injury and wanted to make certain the ENTIRE delt area was sufficiently warmed up before getting into the heavier compound stuff.
Only thing I didn’t like is that I felt so much triceps working during the presses, but they had to since the delts were more fatigued from the isolation work. It was similar to a pre-exhaust.

Though I didn’t do the 30 rep thing (I believe that is WAY too high for growth stimulation in upper body), DOMS was significantly greater than it had been in a while… for about 3 weeks. Then my body adapted.
Yours likely will, too after so long.
I wouldn’t worry about diminishing post workout soreness, though. For many people, the body adapts to that soreness pretty quickly. Resistance to muscle growth takes a while longer.
At least that’s what anecdotal evidence suggests.

If you’re concerned about workout staleness, try switching up pressing grips, substituting db’s for bb’s, throwing in some smith machine or hammer presses in place of free weights (once in a while), changing the order of your isolation work etc.

But as for 30 reps for shoulder growth?
I would try some other things first.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 11:03:35 AM »
High reps can be a good idea, because what everyone's missing is that what's needed to grow is increased intensity, not necessarily increased poundages. Increased poundages is only one avenue, others include intensity techniques like supersets, tri-sets, giant sets, rest-pause reps, forced reps, cheats, negatives, reduced rests between sets, etc. that don't involve increased poundages.

Exactly what Coleman, Larry Scott & Milos prescribe as parts of giant set or tri set routines some of the time, which amounts to high reps.

Plus, some denser muscles respond better to high reps, like delts, calves and forearms.

Plus the change-up from lower reps shocks the muscles.

Soreness can in fact be a good indicator of growth-no one can say for sure actually. Secondly, with DOMS there's definite confirmation you've hit the desired muscle area. Combine those two factors and i'd say you're far better off trying for soreness as often as possible, in the absence of conclusive proof either way.

Sure, sometimes the reps can get too high with too light a weight, but i don't think this is the case here. If 30 is too high for some, 20 might not be.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 05:12:17 PM »

hahahaha

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 03:10:36 PM »

right as always. don't look at non-indicators like soreness and pumps. pay attention to progress.

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »
Yeah, just ask Dorian about "progress" in weight/poundages ::) You obviously can"t keep getting infinitely stronger, so what happens then? All done growing I guess. Double  ::) ::)

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »
two shoulder routines i like would be

seated dumbell presses 3x8
standing side raises  set 1 10  set 2 8
standing rear raises           10          8
standing barbell shrugs       10        10

seated barbell presses 8-6-6
standing one arm side raises 10  -8
standing rear raises              10- 8
standing dumbell shrugs        10  10

id prefer workout one.
one area people neglect is that u dont need more than 15-20s for raises.  i mean u dont need to use crazy wieghts but if u can use 40-50s for good sets of 8-10 on side and rear raises delts will definatly build size. also ive never seen anyone do sets of 90s-100s pounds dumbell presses who did not have good delts.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 06:10:44 PM »
Yeah, just ask Dorian about "progress" in weight/poundages ::) You obviously can"t keep getting infinitely stronger, so what happens then? All done growing I guess. Double  ::) ::)

boy, dorian's a great role model. i mean, he's a natural athlete, right? drugs had nothing to do with THAT, no sir.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
Why do people want to feel sore after training? I hate feeling sore. I never do that and I'm still getting reasonable results  :-\

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 06:15:26 PM »
Why do people want to feel sore after training? I hate feeling sore. I never do that and I'm still getting reasonable results  :-\

Becasue way too many people think that DOMS = Hypertrophy

Just like people whose main aim in training is to "get a pump"  ::)
No doubt about it...

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 06:20:59 PM »

Hmm, for me, sore just means I've done too much

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 06:21:29 PM »

bingo. it's sad. i used to get crazy pumps and sore all the time. i reveled in getting a pump in my triceps so big that i couldn't bend my arm, and damned if i didn't love the day after a brutal leg workout where i couldn't walk.

now, my triceps never get a "pump" and they sure as hell don't get sore, and yet my arms are bigger than they've ever been, not to mention my close-grip has soared. i used to be one of those guys putting a 25 or a 35 on either size of an EZ bar and doing a superset of skullcrushers/close-grip "bench". oh man that was a crazy pump. now i just do heavy presses all the time and, gasp, my triceps are growing like crazy.

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 09:28:45 PM »
Oh jesus, dont tell me weve got some sHITERS here ::) 1 set baby, 1 set :-*