Author Topic: Saw Van Halen Concert last night - VIDEO PAGE 4  (Read 24324 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: Saw Van Halen Concert last night - VIDEO PAGE 4
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2008, 09:12:47 AM »
I haven't listened to that song in ages....nobody rules these streets at night but me...the atomic punk!!!  I think in the old days Dave and Mike used to share lead vocals on this, I'll have to go back and check sometime.

I have everything up till Sammy.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »

I have everything up till Sammy.

the sammy era stuff is great, it's different than the dave era stuff but it's awsome..  I love it, like it more than the Dave era but it was really popular right when I was a teenager so.....

got any bootlegs?
nasser=piece of shit

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2008, 09:17:52 AM »

got any bootlegs?

Naw,not that obsessed ;D
but all the first few albums are on my ipod for the gym.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2008, 09:21:38 AM »

Naw,not that obsessed ;D
but all the first few albums are on my ipod for the gym.

if you're into Dave era stuff do a serch for the Warner Bros 25 song demo....lots of great stuff on there or search youtube for these:

Voodoo Queen-music is the same as meanstreet

Light in the Sky

Get the Show on the Road

Let's get Rockin'

We die bold

last night

big trouble

I can't remember anymore but big trouble is pretty damn awsome..

let's get rockin used to be thier setlist opener back when they played gazzari's and the whiskey...

I can go for days.
nasser=piece of shit

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2008, 09:24:01 AM »
if you're into Dave era stuff do a serch for the Warner Bros 25 song demo....lots of great stuff on there or search youtube for these:

Voodoo Queen-music is the same as meanstreet

Light in the Sky

Get the Show on the Road

Let's get Rockin'

We die bold

last night

big trouble

I can't remember anymore but big trouble is pretty damn awsome..

let's get rockin used to be thier setlist opener back when they played gazzari's and the whiskey...

I can go for days.

Yup,obsessed. ;D
"Look I'll pay you for it,what the fuck" :D

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2008, 09:25:27 AM »

Yup,obsessed. ;D
"Look I'll pay you for it,what the fuck" :D

if you listen really close there's a part in hot for teacher where Mike says "what the fuck"...and it's clear as day if you listen for it but the radio never bleeps it, I don't think anyone knows it's there.

I've got a boot of Everybody wants some with totally different lyrics....
nasser=piece of shit

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2008, 10:21:32 AM »
if you listen really close there's a part in hot for teacher where Mike says "what the fuck"...and it's clear as day if you listen for it but the radio never bleeps it, I don't think anyone knows it's there.

I've got a boot of Everybody wants some with totally different lyrics....
ONE of my faves of dave era,women and children 1st whole cd,i like 'fool"s,almost every track eddie starts song with solo.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
ONE of my faves of dave era,women and children 1st whole cd,i like 'fool"s,almost every track eddie starts song with solo.
I love the intro to pleasure dome...fools is good too except for when dave starts moaning :-\
nasser=piece of shit

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2008, 10:56:26 AM »
I love the intro to pleasure dome...fools is good too except for when dave starts moaning :-\
THAT was his thing,pleasuredome rocks,poundcake,runaround,in and out,and of course spanked....

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »
THAT was his thing,pleasuredome rocks,poundcake,runaround,in and out,and of course spanked....

they had the intro to fools done and then templeman asked ed and dave to try something like that...I coulda done without it.

there's some interview from 1982 on youutube with ed and a guy from a guitar magazine, he talks alot about diver down and says Dave was totally againts guitar solo's....really wild stuff...
nasser=piece of shit

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2008, 11:24:26 AM »
they had the intro to fools done and then templeman asked ed and dave to try something like that...I coulda done without it.

there's some interview from 1982 on youutube with ed and a guy from a guitar magazine, he talks alot about diver down and says Dave was totally againts guitar solo's....really wild stuff...
EVERYBODY wants some had the tarzan scream,vh 2 had some chants the woo woo like a train on somebody get me a doc...dlr was /is a nut but a smart nut...those albums rocked and songs were short in length which with roths voice was a blessing.main team avh,evh,michael anthony carried that band,great sound and bravado,due to roths persona.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2008, 12:21:34 PM »
EVERYBODY wants some had the tarzan scream,vh 2 had some chants the woo woo like a train on somebody get me a doc...dlr was /is a nut but a smart nut...those albums rocked and songs were short in length which with roths voice was a blessing.main team avh,evh,michael anthony carried that band,great sound and bravado,due to roths persona.

yeah, I'll agree with that but I think Dave was running his course...his whole sctick would have gotten old if he had stuck around..who knows?  Ed was still pumping out great music up until 95, I'm sure Dave could have worked with alot of it but there was just too much tension.  Sammy came in at the perfect time and did a great job IMO, nobody has ever changed lead singers and done as well as VH-I don't count AC-DC cause Bon Scott died...lots of othr bands have tried and failed.  Sam and Ed were a great team when everything was going good....so many good songs by both lead singers...too bad they wasted the last 10 years.
nasser=piece of shit

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
Re: Saw Van Halen Concert last night
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2008, 01:06:42 PM »
Hey Mike if you think go karting is is whimpy watch this

Jake is #43 in the Blue and white car

He had his first race last night of this season and is already beating his times from last year. He hit 52  MPH last night! and that is with a resticter plate on.
That's not Eddie Van Halen!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2008, 01:12:51 PM »
"All I need is a beautiful girl"

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2008, 01:14:06 PM »
"All I need is a beautiful girl"

used to be "bring on the girls" in the club days  :P
nasser=piece of shit

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2008, 05:06:11 PM »
I've seen ed like 10 times live and I never thought he sounded bad with a wireless...I don't get where he's coming from with that.

With the ears, it's REALLY hard to tell what someone can have going on in their head.
Eric Johnson can hear batteries lose their charge in his pedals...so he swaps them out every couple songs when recording. Beethoven, Bach and Mozart could write huge orchestral pieces in their heads, without having an instrument in front of them. They just heard the sound(s) in their head and wrote it down, knowing how it would harmonize with the other pieces and what those pieces were playing.
I wouldn't doubt Ed can hear a difference. Sometimes cords to the amp are made from a economy material, and the cord tends to make your tone sound really "tinny" or thin. I can hear the difference in some- if I'm paying attention and actually care. I'm sure Ed has some monster ears outside that kook brain of his, and personally I think playing with a cord is better.

What matters more, the playing or the entertainment of it all? (This is a trick question...many people will trip themselves up answering it!)

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2008, 05:39:54 PM »
With the ears, it's REALLY hard to tell what someone can have going on in their head.
Eric Johnson can hear batteries lose their charge in his pedals...so he swaps them out every couple songs when recording. Beethoven, Bach and Mozart could write huge orchestral pieces in their heads, without having an instrument in front of them. They just heard the sound(s) in their head and wrote it down, knowing how it would harmonize with the other pieces and what those pieces were playing.
I wouldn't doubt Ed can hear a difference. Sometimes cords to the amp are made from a economy material, and the cord tends to make your tone sound really "tinny" or thin. I can hear the difference in some- if I'm paying attention and actually care. I'm sure Ed has some monster ears outside that kook brain of his, and personally I think playing with a cord is better.

What matters more, the playing or the entertainment of it all? (This is a trick question...many people will trip themselves up answering it!)

lots of rumors are going around that ed is actually loosing his hearing, maybe that has something to do with it.  Ed's tone in 91, 93 and 95 was great IMO, I didn't see him in 98 but I heard a ton of boots and it seemed good to me.  In 04 he used a cord but some of the boots I've heard sound terrible, not just playing but on a sinic level...

oh, well....it's not like he cares what I think about his cord :-\

I did like it alot more when he would move around onstage like in the Live without a net vid, or even the toronto PPV, in 04 he didn't get around as much cause of the cord.
nasser=piece of shit

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #167 on: May 01, 2008, 05:52:19 PM »

Albert Collins, Rod Piazza, and George Smith all got around with cords. They had people feed the cord while they were walking through the clubs playing as the people looked on. I'm sure Eddie wouldn't have too much trouble finding someone to do the same.

Tone, the tone you heard in the years you stated, could have been what Eddie was going for. Then changed his direction in sound. I know he used to use that Mighty Mite strat, or was it a Kramer (both?)? Then had the guitar that Peavey made for him, right? I'm not the expert on EVH you are! ;) But that change in guitar could not have really changed his tone, but more or less the direction he wanted to go towards. An opportunity really, to get out of the same routine- no matter how good it was/is.
Wes Montgomery had a similar problem playing octaves, Hendrix burning his guitar, and the Who destroying their equipment.
When life starts imitating art, it's a scary thing. :-\

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: May 01, 2008, 06:31:44 PM »
Albert Collins, Rod Piazza, and George Smith all got around with cords. They had people feed the cord while they were walking through the clubs playing as the people looked on. I'm sure Eddie wouldn't have too much trouble finding someone to do the same.

Tone, the tone you heard in the years you stated, could have been what Eddie was going for. Then changed his direction in sound. I know he used to use that Mighty Mite strat, or was it a Kramer (both?)? Then had the guitar that Peavey made for him, right? I'm not the expert on EVH you are! ;) But that change in guitar could not have really changed his tone, but more or less the direction he wanted to go towards. An opportunity really, to get out of the same routine- no matter how good it was/is.
Wes Montgomery had a similar problem playing octaves, Hendrix burning his guitar, and the Who destroying their equipment.
When life starts imitating art, it's a scary thing. :-\

in the early days ed made his own guitars, in 86-88 he played a Kramer guitar and used his old marshal amp, in 91 he experimented with a saldano amp, he did a couple of appearances at NAMM with it-I just know the names, don't really know what they mean.  In 91-93 ed played a music man EVH model and used a peavy 5150 amp, that sounded great...too bad ed got caught screwing the owner of music man's wife so in 95 he hooked up with peavey to design the wolfgang, basically it looked pretty much like the musicman but it had a "drop d tuner" installed in it, ed also came out with a 5150 II amp and he used the old kramer 5150 and marshal amp on a couple of tunes on balance-I know he used it for aftershock (great song).  The amp was rebuitl by a guy in holland...can't remember his name....

in 04 Ed switched to charvel's which he would paint up and then they would sell them so if you look at pics he's playing a ton of different guitars during that tour, now I think he plays charvel on this tour..,.I'd have to double check that so don't quote me on it.

in the early days when ed built his own guitar I think he used charvel's and put humbuckers in them if that makes sense (I really only know this stuff from reading interviews, I don't know anything about guitars), in fact charvel wanted ed to endorse them, he didnt' even though he used the bodies and maybe the necks...there's pics of ed taken where he put tape over the charvel on the headstock cause he was pissed at them for running ads with his name....

let's see...ed's played a stienberg guitar-dont' know if that's the actual name but he used it on summer nights and get up, it's got a trans-trem on it, he's also played a ripley whcih is a stereo guitar (Top Jimmy and From Afar from vh III). 

that's what i knwo about ed's gear, in 04 and on this tour he's using a 5150 II amp I think....David Cook from american idol had a EVH 5150 amp setup on monday....yes i'm that much of a geek that I noticed that.

ed used a wireless at least since 86, don't know about the previous tours, I'd have to chekc but I'd guess he was using one since at least 82.
nasser=piece of shit

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »

You know EVH like I know SRV. :P

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2008, 06:36:50 PM »

You know EVH like I know SRV. :P

I just thought of a ton of other stuff.....the ibenez shark on the cover of women and children, the white and black stripped guitar.....man, I could really geek out here but I gotta get to bed.

maybe tomorrow.
nasser=piece of shit

vinnyvee

• Getbig IV
  • Dorian never bitched, he just shut em up!
« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2008, 09:12:38 PM »
in the early days ed made his own guitars, in 86-88 he played a Kramer guitar and used his old marshal amp, in 91 he experimented with a saldano amp, he did a couple of appearances at NAMM with it-I just know the names, don't really know what they mean.  In 91-93 ed played a music man EVH model and used a peavy 5150 amp, that sounded great...too bad ed got caught screwing the owner of music man's wife so in 95 he hooked up with peavey to design the wolfgang, basically it looked pretty much like the musicman but it had a "drop d tuner" installed in it, ed also came out with a 5150 II amp and he used the old kramer 5150 and marshal amp on a couple of tunes on balance-I know he used it for aftershock (great song).  The amp was rebuitl by a guy in holland...can't remember his name....

in 04 Ed switched to charvel's which he would paint up and then they would sell them so if you look at pics he's playing a ton of different guitars during that tour, now I think he plays charvel on this tour..,.I'd have to double check that so don't quote me on it.

in the early days when ed built his own guitar I think he used charvel's and put humbuckers in them if that makes sense (I really only know this stuff from reading interviews, I don't know anything about guitars), in fact charvel wanted ed to endorse them, he didnt' even though he used the bodies and maybe the necks...there's pics of ed taken where he put tape over the charvel on the headstock cause he was pissed at them for running ads with his name....

let's see...ed's played a stienberg guitar-dont' know if that's the actual name but he used it on summer nights and get up, it's got a trans-trem on it, he's also played a ripley whcih is a stereo guitar (Top Jimmy and From Afar from vh III). 

that's what i knwo about ed's gear, in 04 and on this tour he's using a 5150 II amp I think....David Cook from american idol had a EVH 5150 amp setup on monday....yes i'm that much of a geek that I noticed that.

ed used a wireless at least since 86, don't know about the previous tours, I'd have to chekc but I'd guess he was using one since at least 82.

Let me as a guitarist help you out here.
Back in the day Eddie had two very valuable Gibson 335's. He loved the tone but couldnt stand the body. He did purchase a Charvel body and a neck from Lynn Ellsworth.
Routing out the bridge pickup he stuck a humbucker in where the single coil used to be. Thus we all now can have a Strat body guitar with a humbucker in the bridge position.
Would someone have eventually gone there? Probably but it was Eddies innovation that got us there. He wanted the sound of a Les Paul type guitar in a Strat body. Neccessity is the mother of invention.
I'm not  100% sure but I think the "shark" guitar was a Gibson Explorer. Yes Ibanez makes them as well. Claims he took a chainsaw to it but I have a large blown up close poster of that guitar and you can see he drilled then cut. Doesnt matter. Anyway he removed the pick gaurd and gave it a paint job. Never recorded on it. Wait, he did record on it. Runnin W/The Devil was recorded on that guitar before he butchered it up.
After he butchered it he claimed the sound was ruined.
He's an ignima for sure. An oddball at best socially. Honestly I doubt he's from this Earth sometimes.
Once in Lakeland Fl on the 5150 tour with Sammy I was 4 rows back and watched the man basically re learn a song and playing it elsewhere on the guitar due to two strings breaking thus throwing most of the others out. That's an understatement of fretboard knowledge....

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2008, 06:50:26 AM »
Here you go...Enjoy !!

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f62/

I'm very familiar with that site  ;D
Let me as a guitarist help you out here.
Back in the day Eddie had two very valuable Gibson 335's. He loved the tone but couldnt stand the body. He did purchase a Charvel body and a neck from Lynn Ellsworth.
Routing out the bridge pickup he stuck a humbucker in where the single coil used to be. Thus we all now can have a Strat body guitar with a humbucker in the bridge position.
Would someone have eventually gone there? Probably but it was Eddies innovation that got us there. He wanted the sound of a Les Paul type guitar in a Strat body. Neccessity is the mother of invention.
I'm not  100% sure but I think the "shark" guitar was a Gibson Explorer. Yes Ibanez makes them as well. Claims he took a chainsaw to it but I have a large blown up close poster of that guitar and you can see he drilled then cut. Doesnt matter. Anyway he removed the pick gaurd and gave it a paint job. Never recorded on it. Wait, he did record on it. Runnin W/The Devil was recorded on that guitar before he butchered it up.
After he butchered it he claimed the sound was ruined.
He's an ignima for sure. An oddball at best socially. Honestly I doubt he's from this Earth sometimes.
Once in Lakeland Fl on the 5150 tour with Sammy I was 4 rows back and watched the man basically re learn a song and playing it elsewhere on the guitar due to two strings breaking thus throwing most of the others out. That's an understatement of fretboard knowledge....

good info, it's harder for me to talk about the guitar stuff just because I don't play so I know the terms but not really what alot of it means-I have no idea what  a humbucker pick up is compared to a regular pick up.  I do know alot about ed's equipment but I have to sit down and really think about it and it's more along the lines of what guitars and amps he used on what songs, I know the history of the things he did but again it's harder for me to really nail that stuff.

if you want to talk about albums, songs, demo's or the who's, what's, where's and when's then I can go for days :D
nasser=piece of shit

Determinator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2008, 06:55:10 AM »
Shallow al.