Author Topic: DAVID BLAINE JUST BROKE A WORLD RECORD  (Read 3312 times)

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
DAVID BLAINE JUST BROKE A WORLD RECORD
« on: April 30, 2008, 03:46:29 PM »
He stayed under water on the Oprah Winfrey show for 17 minutes 4 seconds. The old record was 16:32.

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
Re: DAVID BLAINE JUST BROKE A WORLD RECORD
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 03:49:53 PM »
LOL

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 03:50:48 PM »
He stayed under water on the Oprah Winfrey show for 17 minutes 4 seconds. The old record was 16:32.

Heard about this. When Oprah asked him what he was thinking about while holding his breath, he replied he was thinking about her. What a bullshitter. Still, impressive though to hold your breath for over 17 minutes.

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 03:51:04 PM »
just another skinny bitch, who cares.

He did a stunt where he fasted for like 40 days, lost a tonnnne of weight, his metabolism was screwed. I saw some footage of a few months later and he literally looked like he had gained 100lb. he looked massive, alot was fat but it looked like he gained a lot of muscle. Now he is back to being slim

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 03:56:15 PM »
Hehe. I think this was the toolbox that suspended himself near the Thames in a plastic box and the locals came by with their pitching wedges and golf balls. Would like to have seen that. 

Dorian01

• Getbig IV
  • Coach loves the sticky studs
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 04:26:34 PM »
He said while doing the public fasting people would yell his name, get his attention, then tell him stuff like "go fuck yourself!" Then he'd be bothered all day by it.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 04:35:20 PM »

And you think it was all legit. He is an illussionist, a magician, and a very good one at that too.

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 04:58:29 PM »
And you think it was all legit. He is an illussionist, a magician, and a very good one at that too.

Considering he got awarded from the GUINNESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS, yes I do. Hey don't change my subject title.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: David Blaine - Underwater for 17 minutes - world record
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 05:25:37 PM »

So do you think he was able to sneak out the bottom of the pool and grab a breath of fresh air without anyone noticing? All world record judges had a lapse in concentration?
Maybe he had a giant oxygen tank strapped to his back!!! The judges just didn't mention this detail?
Illusion is about misdirection...making you focus on something and while your attention is diverted something else is going on. For instance, when a card trick is being done, the magician says "concentrate really hard, and make sure to clamp down on this card here. You sure you have a good grip?" Meanwhile, as the right hand is holding the card that you are, his left hand is setting up a pinky break so when he switches cards, the double lift he uses is nearly impossible to spot. With time and experience, a good card handler will boggle your mind.
So, being an illusionist, how would David Blaine go about misdirecting judges attention to break a world record of holding his breath.....for 17min at that?

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Re: David Blaine - Underwater for 17 minutes - world record
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 05:43:02 PM »
So do you think he was able to sneak out the bottom of the pool and grab a breath of fresh air without anyone noticing? All world record judges had a lapse in concentration?
Maybe he had a giant oxygen tank strapped to his back!!! The judges just didn't mention this detail?
Illusion is about misdirection...making you focus on something and while your attention is diverted something else is going on. For instance, when a card trick is being done, the magician says "concentrate really hard, and make sure to clamp down on this card here. You sure you have a good grip?" Meanwhile, as the right hand is holding the card that you are, his left hand is setting up a pinky break so when he switches cards, the double lift he uses is nearly impossible to spot. With time and experience, a good card handler will boggle your mind.
So, being an illusionist, how would David Blaine go about misdirecting judges attention to break a world record of holding his breath.....for 17min at that?

Are you calling Ron a fucking liar?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 05:45:06 PM »
Are you calling Ron a fucking liar?

Not a liar. Comes across as being more delusional than anything, in trying to keep the peace. 

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 05:45:42 PM »
Not a liar. Comes across as being more delusional than anything, in trying to keep the peace. 

That's true.

turner98

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 05:50:37 PM »
just another skinny bitch, who cares.

Come on lighten up!  ;D I don't think David Blaine gets paid to be 276lb at 13% body fat

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 08:42:57 PM »
Now I'm gonna live atop a Giant Redwood for 14 years, where I won't eat, poo, or tickle my wiener. Check it out!

Whatever happened to sawed-up chicks and makin' shit disappear?

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 08:54:48 PM »
The longest a human being can go without oxygen is like 5 minutes, and that is the best of the best, 17 minutes is laughable and that anybody believes this is even worse :|
TEAM Nasser

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 09:11:09 PM »
The 'trick' is to hyperventilate before going under water. They all do that so it's no secret.

Lamplighterx

• Getbig III
  • I support the Wizard of Truth
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 09:14:57 PM »
this is a bodybuilding message board

please stop cluttering it with other stuff

Thanks in advance
Proud to be a member of Team Nasser

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 09:16:01 PM »
who fucking cares, i hope he dies

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 09:21:08 PM »
who fucking cares, i hope he dies

Damn bro, Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?  ???

TooPowerful4u

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 09:22:12 PM »
The 'trick' is to hyperventilate before going under water. They all do that so it's no secret.

HOLY SHT you were right!  Just tried it.  Got a little dizzy hyperventilating.  Is that normal?  I just did 2 minutes without a problem wtf...when we were kids we used to try to see how long we could go under water and my best was 50 seconds.  OMG im using this trick on my brother tomorrow haha......

how do you go about improving?  practice?  what happens when you start to get dizzy hyperventilating?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 09:24:29 PM »
HOLY SHT you were right!  Just tried it.  Got a little dizzy hyperventilating.  Is that normal?  I just did 2 minutes without a problem wtf...when we were kids we used to try to see how long we could go under water and my best was 50 seconds.  OMG im using this trick on my brother tomorrow haha......

how do you go about improving?  practice?  what happens when you start to get dizzy hyperventilating?

When I was younger me and my cousin would take turns seeing who could hold their breath the longest. I noticed that each time we tried we could hold out breath longer. We didn't realize it then but with each turn we took we were getting more oxygen in our blood stream, hence being able to hold our breath longer.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Damn bro, Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?  ???

David Blaine!

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Big hard and turbo charged
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 09:47:58 PM »
He did a stunt where he fasted for like 40 days, lost a tonnnne of weight, his metabolism was screwed. I saw some footage of a few months later and he literally looked like he had gained 100lb. he looked massive, alot was fat but it looked like he gained a lot of muscle. Now he is back to being slim

samething happens to heroin users when the get out of rehab  seen it happen twice

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 10:55:14 PM »
Much like in powerlifting with "Inzer-assisted" and "unassisted" standards, there are also two standards for holding one's breath.

The world record for "unassisted" breath-holding is around 7-8 minutes, which is pretty fucking amazing.

David Blaine's record was "assisted" in that he breathes pure oxygen from a machine for a few minutes prior to going for the record. That oxygenates his blood and allows one to practically double one's ability to hold their breath. The prior record was a little more than 16 minutes.

Why Guiness acknowledges a "world record" that uses a machine to complete is a little bizarre. Maybe David Blaine made a contribution to the Guiness Non-Profit Foundation.
BigNationRadio.com

Alex23

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 11:25:45 PM »
Much like in powerlifting with "Inzer-assisted" and "unassisted" standards, there are also two standards for holding one's breath.

The world record for "unassisted" breath-holding is around 7-8 minutes, which is pretty fucking amazing.

David Blaine's record was "assisted" in that he breathes pure oxygen from a machine for a few minutes prior to going for the record. That oxygenates his blood and allows one to practically double one's ability to hold their breath. The prior record was a little more than 16 minutes.

Why Guiness acknowledges a "world record" that uses a machine to complete is a little bizarre. Maybe David Blaine made a contribution to the Guiness Non-Profit Foundation.

Brutal 'running downstairs breathless for Oreos'  type of jewlousy....  ;D

;D