Author Topic: How big is your home...?  (Read 6423 times)

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
Re: How big is your home...?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 06:51:56 PM »
Yes, I still have the dream of one day being a thousandaire.  It's made me humble though.  When you live in the trailer park, people really do cling to their guns and their religion.  Old people with cancer they can't treat, walking around the trailer park in their bra and shorts, reading the bible all day with a shotgun on the porch, watching tv in a trailer with no AC, waiting to die.  So depressing.  I don't take anything for granted.  I'm blessed to be living like this now and I thank God every day.  

Do you have pictures of the trailer park?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 06:55:30 PM »
Do you have pictures of the trailer park?

sure, i can dig some up.  The place was mad photogenic.

Moosejay

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 06:56:09 PM »
Yes, I still have the dream of one day being a thousandaire.  It's made me humble though.  When you live in the trailer park, people really do cling to their guns and their religion.  Old people with cancer they can't treat, walking around the trailer park in their bra and shorts, reading the bible all day with a shotgun on the porch, watching tv in a trailer with no AC, waiting to die.  So depressing.  I don't take anything for granted.  I'm blessed to be living like this now and I thank God every day.  

My friend...it is so true. I have these thought now laying inthe hosp.

When I was in clinic as a student, I worked in the Salvation Army half way house...where I had to do physical on many inm,ates just being released from prison.

You could tell many were lifetime thugs...they'd be back,.

One guy..though, I read through his chart and he was a CEO of a big company...lost it all, gambling, drugs, crime, all kinds of crazy stuff.

Lost his family.

I thought I was a hot shot, and kind of imperiously asked him (a tone I would never again take on), "How the Hell did YOU end up here...?)

As I was walking away, he grabbed my smock, and said words I since have not forgotten:

"Young man, we are all (puts finger and thumb one inch apart) this close to pushing a shopping cart,.

Truer words never spoken

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 06:56:27 PM »
sure, i can dig some up.  The place was mad photogenic.

Let's see em.

Moosejay

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 06:57:34 PM »
I will post a pic of my home when I GET home :)

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 07:04:24 PM »
I will post a pic of my home when I GET home :)

Bought it a few years back, 3,100 square feet, and it's a work in progress (a lot of work), almost finished the pool working on a hot tube next.

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
yeah, wife and kid, and a neice staying a bit while my sister deals with some health problems.   It's awesome... TV room, ecercise room, guest room... the place is huge.  I used to live in a trailer, then a small-ass apartment, so I definitely appreciate it every day to be blessed with a big home to live in :)

I have no clue what to do at the moment.  Every real estate agent I meet says "The time to buy is now!" as they're shopping their resume or going back to school.  Most everyone I know is in over their head/upside down on the mortgage.  FL roads/water infrastructure are horrible... they're tearing up half the county putting in city water (running on WELL WATER now), so every homeowner gets a $10k bill on top of their AR mortgage bitch slapping them.

When it's time to renew lease, I'm telling the landlord I want to pay $100 or 150 less, and I think he'll be thankful just to have someone to rent.  It's that ugly here.

We're closing on our first home in mid May. Even with increased number of rental properties being a risk, I still think it is a good time to buy. The house we're getting dropped $20k on the asking price the week we put an offer in, and that kind of discount seemed to be pretty standard in the areas we looked, even if all its doing is bringing prices back to what they should be. My un-scientific theory is even if you buy something in an area that may have more rentals around, as the market turns around in 2-3 years those property values are going to start increasing again and landlords are going to want to start making their money back, the po folk won't be able to rent a 4 bedroom 3 bath for $1300 a month anymore.

Moosejay

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 07:07:57 PM »
Il est tres manifique!

What year is that house?

Moosejay

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 07:08:41 PM »
We're closing on our first home in mid May. Even with increased number of rental properties being a risk, I still think it is a good time to buy. The house we're getting dropped $20k on the asking price the week we put an offer in, and that kind of discount seemed to be pretty standard in the areas we looked, even if all its doing is bringing prices back to what they should be. My un-scientific theory is even if you buy something in an area that may have more rentals around, as the market turns around in 2-3 years those property values are going to start increasing again and landlords are going to want to start making their money back, the po folk won't be able to rent a 4 bedroom 3 bath for $1300 a month anymore.

A sound plan

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2008, 07:09:52 PM »

Unless the neighborhood's fucked.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2008, 07:11:04 PM »
Where i live is fairly big...
No doubt about it...

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2008, 07:11:13 PM »
Il est tres manifique!

What year is that house?

Thanks, it's awesome in the summer we have some fun parties.

The original house is very old!  We completely gutted/remodeled the entire house, however we kept a lot of the orignal architecture to give it an old world feel.  That house is my pride and joy (my wife is up there too)

Moosejay

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2008, 07:11:27 PM »
Yes...on top of that, you can often not control who your neighbors are/will be.

Moosejay

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2008, 07:12:49 PM »

The original house is very old!  We completely gutted/remodeled the entire house, however we kept a lot of the orignal architecture to give it an old world feel.  That house is my pride and joy (my wife is up there too)

Yes...I can tell by the stone turret.

I live in CT and there are houses that are over 300 years old here.

But you have to have your druthers together to get one sans too many problems.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »

In the background you can see part of an old barn which we converted to a guest house.  It's a full size loft with full bath, living room, kitchen.  We lived there for 6 months while getting our home remodeled.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 07:14:57 PM »
XF - the home is beautiful.

Yeah, the neighborhood is what scares me.  The hosues on my block are 250k to 300k in FL prices (much higher in cali), and you have some poor folks on my road. I don't like that.  If I'm putting a good chunk of my life's $ into a house, I want a safe neighborhood.  

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 07:16:35 PM »
Yes...I can tell by the stone turret.

I live in CT and there are houses that are over 300 years old here.

But you have to have your druthers together to get one sans too many problems.

I gotta say you are impressing me with some intelligence. I appreciate you used the word turret. Not many do.

Most people come over and say "Cool big stone tower thing"  lol

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 07:17:18 PM »

Yeah, the neighborhood is what scares me.  The hosues on my block are 250k to 300k in FL prices (much higher in cali), and you have some poor folks on my road. I don't like that.  If I'm putting a good chunk of my life's $ into a house, I want a safe neighborhood.  

Just get old Moose here to leave you his house in his will.

He's falling apart and single.... an opportunity worth pursuing.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 07:18:09 PM »

Thanks Dude!

Isn't Florida taking a hit in the housing sector?  You can get a place pretty cheap there right now, no?

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 07:18:46 PM »

hahaha  Nice.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2008, 07:20:21 PM »
hahaha  Nice.

Good to see some people still have a sense of humor in this joint.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2008, 07:21:07 PM »
good looking female, x.   is that a pebble tech finish in your pool?

Moosejay

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2008, 07:23:38 PM »

Haha...yes...my sister is the executor of my will...and ...paranoid as I am, I give her my briefcase that has instructions in it for what to do if I bite the bullet during /after one of my many surgeries.

I will be damned if my assetts go to probate so the lazy-ass folks on the dole get at it.

Moosejay approved!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2008, 07:24:56 PM »
Thanks Dude!

Isn't Florida taking a hit in the housing sector?  You can get a place pretty cheap there right now, no?

incredibly cheap.  but that means poor people are moving in and bringing crime with them.  2 home invasions yesterday in fort myers.  one of them, a teenage kid hit an old man with a hammer for his wife's purse.  people here are broke, and broke people do desperate shit.  another, the robber drove to a nice part of down, knocked on door, then kicked the shit out of the lady who answered and took some $ and left.  broad daylight too.  

construction industry died overnight, so did tourism.  Lots of people whose only skill is painting or drywall or roofing, who suddenly have no way to pay the bills (they were already living hand to mouth, when construction industry was booming).

Moosejay

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2008, 07:26:32 PM »
Funny...I have had more than a few patients who were in the trades (Painting, handywork, carpentry, etc) move to Florida bc they said jobs were easier to come by than in CT