Author Topic: Scraping knees and shins on deadlift  (Read 11757 times)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
Re: Scraping knees and shins on deadlift
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 12:10:55 AM »
1) gloves are a stupid, stupid thing to wear while deadlifting. it is impossible to keep your grip on the bar with maximal weights.

2) if your body mechanics are thus that the bar scrapes your shins, then tough it out. it would be HORRENDOUSLY dumb to try and "fix" your form to  put the bar further in front of you, that's just begging for a lower back injury. speaking as a guy who just recently fucked up his lower back, you can trust me on that.

it's the same school of thought that says "you can avoid scabbed up shoulders by wearing the pad when you squat". well sure, you CAN, but it both sets you up for injury and messes up your ability to lift optimally. you lose either way, unless "lifting heavy" isn't your thing. no flame there either, if you're not going for max sets (be it a set of 12 or a single), then sure you can toy around, but that's just not an option for most of us.

1) answer me this - if ur hands are so banged up callouses that it literally pains you to grip the bar for a deadlift or chinup, would you wear gloves or tough the pain?

2) its not about leveraging the arms further forward, its bringing lower legs back that will help prevent scraping.

the pad on the bar is terrible. if you mean the round thing. putting a small towel over your shoulders isnt gonna make much difference to your lift or form at all. its almost neccessary when doing heavy weights for some people who simply dont want to injure themselves in any way, whether it be bruises, scrapes, whatever. i dont go to the gym to get injured.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 12:57:32 AM »
1) answer me this - if ur hands are so banged up callouses that it literally pains you to grip the bar for a deadlift or chinup, would you wear gloves or tough the pain?

2) its not about leveraging the arms further forward, its bringing lower legs back that will help prevent scraping.

the pad on the bar is terrible. if you mean the round thing. putting a small towel over your shoulders isnt gonna make much difference to your lift or form at all. its almost neccessary when doing heavy weights for some people who simply dont want to injure themselves in any way, whether it be bruises, scrapes, whatever. i dont go to the gym to get injured.

1) i have never, in my life, met anyone who managed to tear their hands up that badly. you'd have to have skin made out of graham crackers.

2) i could draw you a diagram for this one, but barring a pen handy and a scanner (or a good graphical editor on my PC) you'll have to trust me on this one: many, many people's bodies are at their most mechanically aligned with the bar scraping their shins. you cannot POSSIBLY claim otherwise.

and i'm sorry, but you're talking about putting a towel on the bar to squat because you "don't come to the gym to get injured"? jeezus man, grow some testicles and realize that if you want to build your body you can't do it and keep your manicure in tip top shape. you may want to ask yourself if lifting weights is really for you if these kinds of things are actually prohibiting you from working out.

you're like a guy who wants to run to get in shape but won't push it too hard because blisters on his feet aren't "part of the bargain". man up, it's a little nip on the shin or the occasional tear on the hands. deal with it. if you want to sit around and put lotion on your hands and lay on pillows all the time and never have to deal with a little boo-boo, weight training is not for you.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 05:06:25 AM »
lol...

when i used to chin without gloves, my hands would be ripe with callouses that actually did rip open and i had to grab toilet paper from the bathroom and put it over the bar to stop it hurting. there is no way you can tell me that wearing gloves in a case like that would hinder performance on deadlift or chins.

if you know anything about training physiology, you know the pressure places on the ankle by moving shins/lower leg further past the toes. that's why they say in squat - sit down like a chair, not dorsi flex the ankle. under loads like that, it's just begging for an injury. if people do it wrong, that's their prisk, but that's not the most physiologically safe way of doing it. and its part and parcal that by doing it the safer way will put the bar at less risk from scraping the shins.

nothing is prohibiting me from working out and i have made some nice gains by training safely. but when im in pain from the weight being too heavy on the bar, i make it less painful and carry on my workout. no sense in 'toughing it out' for some 'battle scars' if there are other options. even if its just a bruise from the bar, i dont care. the pain was getting too much and i did something about it.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2008, 10:20:02 AM »
lol...

when i used to chin without gloves, my hands would be ripe with callouses that actually did rip open and i had to grab toilet paper from the bathroom and put it over the bar to stop it hurting. there is no way you can tell me that wearing gloves in a case like that would hinder performance on deadlift or chins.

if you know anything about training physiology, you know the pressure places on the ankle by moving shins/lower leg further past the toes. that's why they say in squat - sit down like a chair, not dorsi flex the ankle. under loads like that, it's just begging for an injury. if people do it wrong, that's their prisk, but that's not the most physiologically safe way of doing it. and its part and parcal that by doing it the safer way will put the bar at less risk from scraping the shins.

nothing is prohibiting me from working out and i have made some nice gains by training safely. but when im in pain from the weight being too heavy on the bar, i make it less painful and carry on my workout. no sense in 'toughing it out' for some 'battle scars' if there are other options. even if its just a bruise from the bar, i dont care. the pain was getting too much and i did something about it.
I'm with Magoo, he's spot on about everything he has said.

There are things that requires strict skin/bar contact, deadlift, bench, squat. You throw on gloves and you lose grip for deadlift, balance for bench and a towel does no good for squat, nor does that little round tampax pad.

If you were tearing your callouses doing pullups, you should see a dermatologist, something wrong with your skin.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 11:29:50 AM »
I'm with Magoo, he's spot on about everything he has said.

There are things that requires strict skin/bar contact, deadlift, bench, squat. You throw on gloves and you lose grip for deadlift, balance for bench and a towel does no good for squat, nor does that little round tampax pad.

If you were tearing your callouses doing pullups, you should see a dermatologist, something wrong with your skin.

yeah, that last part baffles me. even when i attempted chins weighing 270 my hands didn't tear up much. so unless GA is bizarrely heavy, i can't figure out why pullups are so bad.

and yeah, you gotta think about limb/torso length. someone with, say, long thighbones is going to have his hips further back and likely will rake his shins up. also if you lean back hard enough some contact will happen. not everyone does, but many do.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2008, 11:36:38 PM »
the deadlift does not require bar contact with the shins. if its scraping the shins, you're simply doing it wrong. i do understand if you want maybe an extra rep or whatever, limiting the ROM by that .5 or so of a centimeter, may help in that regard, but for me, i would never let it scrape my shin. not worth the cuts.

listen, i will ask a college fitness instructor teacher what he thinks about the bar/shin and whether a towel on the back of the shoulders would hinder performance on a squat. maybe u guys could do the same, find a strength coach who has uptodate info (last 2 years) and ask.

and it was just the texture of the bar that caused the callouses. different bar was fine.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2008, 03:45:16 PM »

You throw on gloves and you lose grip for deadlift,

you throw on gloves and you'll become a queer who sucks dick behind seedy bar's on the other side of town !

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2008, 07:45:08 PM »

you throw on gloves and you'll become a queer who sucks dick behind seedy bar's on the other side of town !
That too! ;D

the deadlift does not require bar contact with the shins. if its scraping the shins, you're simply doing it wrong. i do understand if you want maybe an extra rep or whatever, limiting the ROM by that .5 or so of a centimeter, may help in that regard, but for me, i would never let it scrape my shin. not worth the cuts.

listen, i will ask a college fitness instructor teacher what he thinks about the bar/shin and whether a towel on the back of the shoulders would hinder performance on a squat. maybe u guys could do the same, find a strength coach who has uptodate info (last 2 years) and ask.

and it was just the texture of the bar that caused the callouses. different bar was fine.
You're not very good at reading are you?

A towel on the back is going to do jack shit for squats, nothing, nada, not a godamned thing.

The bar scraping the shins is going to happen, if you don't allow it to happen, good for you, how much are you lifting? Probably not very much. On warmup sets you can allow the bar to float away from your legs like that, on heavier sets, it's not going to happen, you're going to drag the bar.

PS, fuck your college professor, I'm sure I can speak for Magoo when I say we are talking from experience, not what some kunt "fitness" queer thinks. ::)

PSS, "fuck your college professor" is solely from me as Magoo probably is too nice to say that to you. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2008, 07:54:03 PM »
"college fitness instructor" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 09:29:20 PM »
fitness queer? dear lord, you really are ignorant.

you guys are the ones who wear tapout shirts, give mean stares, and just act like a general dick in the gym, aren't you? man, the exact mentality that gives weight training and bbing a bad name. testosterone-fueled knuckleheads who don't know SHIT about proper training form, stay at 25% bf year round, claiming they are 'bulking', throw the weights around in the gym as if to assert their manhood because they lack doing that in other areas of life, hide behind their statements over the net and when someone tries to prove something, such as myself, shoot it down because theyre so insecure about the possiblity of being wrong.

good luck to you chaos and maggoo in getting another back injury (GEE, WONDER WHY THAT HAPPENED???), cuts all over your shins and whatever other injuries you're getting because of your lack of proper lifting knowledge and just plain ignorance.

meltdown ;)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 10:31:24 PM »

you guys are the ones who wear tapout shirts, give mean stares, and just act like a general dick in the gym, aren't you? man, the exact mentality that gives weight training and bbing a bad name. testosterone-fueled knuckleheads who don't know SHIT about proper training form, stay at 25% bf year round, claiming they are 'bulking', throw the weights around in the gym as if to assert their manhood because they lack doing that in other areas of life, hide behind their statements over the net and when someone tries to prove something, such as myself, shoot it down because theyre so insecure about the possiblity of being wrong.

good luck to you chaos and maggoo in getting another back injury (GEE, WONDER WHY THAT HAPPENED???), cuts all over your shins and whatever other injuries you're getting because of your lack of proper lifting knowledge and just plain ignorance.

meltdown ;)

I'd bet my left nut (which I prize highly, by the way) that Magoo and Chaos could run circles around you in the gym.  From what you've said in this thread, it's clear you're a pussy who looks for the easy way out.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 10:35:36 PM »

holy projection, batman.

meltdown ;)

i pulled 500 pounds today despite my back being dodgy. just out of curiosity, how much are you deadlifting, wearing your gloves and being oh so careful to avoid your shins?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2008, 10:45:52 PM »

meltdown ;)
Now  I was going to log off for the night, but I have to say....this is the dumbest thing I have read.

I am actually quite helpful to peole who are willing to listen and learn. You are not willing to do either since you are a weak ass moron. You should stick with your plastic weights and your cable machines so you never get hurt by straining your big bad muscles, you beast of a man you. ::)

And you never answered me, how much weight are you working out with when you deadlift?

Yes PANDAE, I'm sure Magoo and I could outrun this guy in the gym with one of our legs in a potato sack..... ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2008, 10:49:39 PM »
I'd bet my left nut (which I prize highly, by the way) that Magoo and Chaos could run circles around you in the gym.  From what you've said in this thread, it's clear you're a pussy who looks for the easy way out.

you're not exactly a slouch yourself, panda.

...seriously, what few lifts you HAVE told me are downright annoying. like, right now i'm eating peanut butter on a wheat wrap and thinking "maybe i should have two more of these and a half gallon of milk" in the hopes of starting to catch up.

what's your best weight on hang cleans again? it was around two, maybe three thousand pounds. i forget.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2008, 10:53:55 PM »
panda, give me a break. you're just another from the "no pain, no gain" and  "no cuts, no nuts" school. people like you are looked down upon by bodybuilders who know how to train and make gains without subjecting themselves to injury by using sloppy form and throwing the weights about trying to be macho. people like you get NOWHERE and are seen as tiny tits by people who know a thing or two about how to lift, and not from the articles you read in FLEX. lol

i dont train for strength nor do deadlifts that often. last deadlift i did was 375 for 4. no bar to shin contact at all and perfect form.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2008, 10:55:01 PM »
last deadlift i did was 375 for 4. no bar to shin contact at all and perfect form.

:o  You're an absolute beast.  I take back everything I said about you.

::)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2008, 10:58:31 PM »
Now  I was going to log off for the night, but I have to say....this is the dumbest thing I have read.

I am actually quite helpful to peole who are willing to listen and learn. You are not willing to do either since you are a weak ass moron. You should stick with your plastic weights and your cable machines so you never get hurt by straining your big bad muscles, you beast of a man you. ::)

And you never answered me, how much weight are you working out with when you deadlift?

Yes PANDAE, I'm sure Magoo and I could outrun this guy in the gym with one of our legs in a potato sack..... ;D

this is just about the most ignorant post in this entire thread. I"M NOT WILLING TO LISTEN OR LEARN???? LOL!!!! you're making stuff up because you fail to provide any justification for your testosterone mentality-type posts, whereas i can justify mine perfectly and have done.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2008, 11:02:28 PM »
this is just about the most ignorant post in this entire thread. I"M NOT WILLING TO LISTEN OR LEARN???? LOL!!!! you're making stuff up because you fail to provide any justification for your testosterone mentality-type posts, whereas i can justify mine perfectly and have done.

Maybe you should take up knitting instead?  I bet you'd be pretty good at it, based on your posts. :-*

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2008, 11:06:39 PM »
panda, give me a break. you're just another from the "no pain, no gain" and  "no cuts, no nuts" school. people like you are looked down upon by bodybuilders who know how to train and make gains without subjecting themselves to injury by using sloppy form and throwing the weights about trying to be macho. people like you get NOWHERE and are seen as tiny tits by people who know a thing or two about how to lift, and not from the articles you read in FLEX. lol

i dont train for strength nor do deadlifts that often. last deadlift i did was 375 for 4. no bar to shin contact at all and perfect form.

wait wait. WAIT.

you, who have deadlifted 375x4, are claiming that i don't know how to lift.

dude. SERIOUSLY. you may want to re-think this. i'm giving you a chance to man up, admit that you overstepped your comfort zone, and walk out of this one without getting flamed. i would suggest you take it.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2008, 11:07:22 PM »
Maybe you should take up knitting instead?  I bet you'd be pretty good at it, based on your posts. :-*

based on my posts? haha. i see you with a back injury and torn bicep in 5 years, at 25+% bf and still trying to own tiny tits here and at the gym. i guess you train to 'get the girls' huh panda?

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2008, 11:11:27 PM »
wait wait. WAIT.

you, who have deadlifted 375x4, are claiming that i don't know how to lift.

dude. SERIOUSLY. you may want to re-think this. i'm giving you a chance to man up, admit that you overstepped your comfort zone, and walk out of this one without getting flamed. i would suggest you take it.

either way i'll get flamed. it's what getbig is. look at what i've said here already. perfectly viable suggestions to prevent injury and pain to the body, shot down by guys who have the 'cage fighting' mentality. its the most stereotypically gym junky attitude there is - and you represent it.

not saying your technique is WRONG, but it's not the only way to deadlift well. but what YOU are saying is that my technique is wrong, which it clearly isn't. i've only been training seriously for a few years and don't deadlift much, nor train for strength at all.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2008, 11:15:24 PM »
either way i'll get flamed. it's what getbig is. look at what i've said here already. perfectly viable suggestions to prevent injury and pain to the body, shot down by guys who have the 'cage fighting' mentality. its the most stereotypically gym junky attitude there is - and you represent it.

not saying your technique is WRONG, but it's not the only way to deadlift well. but what YOU are saying is that my technique is wrong, which it clearly isn't. i've only been training seriously for a few years and don't deadlift much, nor train for strength at all.

what's ironic is that you pointed at my injury, but if you read my thread you'd know that the REASON i got injured was that the bar was AWAY from my shins. i went FORWARD, my weight transferred to the balls of my feet, and my lower back gave out. if i had kept the bar against my shins, nothing would have happened. i've done 405x5 beltless and 455x2 standing on a platform (again beltless) with no issues as long as i lean back.

what -i- am saying is that many, many people do scrape their shins and that isn't wrong. not everyone does, some people's leverages are at their best with the bar a little in front of them. i, and many others, do not fall under that category. there are any number of reasons why shin contact is a good idea. chiefly, it GUARANTEES your weight is on your heels, and it means you're leaning back.

had i done that, i wouldn't be sitting with a bottle of motrin next to my bed.  :P

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2008, 11:36:47 PM »
having the bar 0.5 of a centimetre away from your shins won't make much difference at all in terms of injury and mechanics. when you get the bar from ground for knee height, the only thing moving should be the quads, but in reality the shins move back too to make it a bit easier. by doing this, the only direction the bar is going from floor to knee is straight up. that's how you avoid contact with the shins. once you reach knee height, than you pull back. i have long legs, and short torso, being an ectomorph, and this way was very hard at first but it's the (or 'a') right way of doing the deadlift. you just need to put more focus on lifting with the balls of your feet, the quads, and keeping the back in its natural curve for that first part of the lift. as soon as the back begins to round you're fucked. i rounded the back once doing good mornings too heavy and nearly injured myself. cant imagine what id be like on a deadlift.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2008, 11:43:36 PM »
you know, i had a long response typed, until i noticed something.

you just need to put more focus on lifting with the balls of your feet, the quads

no. NO. bad newbie. all wrong. this is irrefutably 100% incorrect. there is NO argument here, this sentence is entirely and completely bad advice.

you push with your HEELS and move with your glutes and hamstrings. if your weight is on the balls of your feet you're BEGGING for problems. that's why the bar's away from your shins, you're trying to turn it into a squat with the bar in your hands.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2008, 11:49:28 PM »
you know, i had a long response typed, until i noticed something.

no. NO. bad newbie. all wrong. this is irrefutably 100% incorrect. there is NO argument here, this sentence is entirely and completely bad advice.

you push with your HEELS and move with your glutes and hamstrings. if your weight is on the balls of your feet you're BEGGING for problems. that's why the bar's away from your shins, you're trying to turn it into a squat with the bar in your hands.

100% right.  "Gone Away", you need to stop posting.  You're hanging yourself with every post.