Author Topic: Scraping knees and shins on deadlift  (Read 11730 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Scraping knees and shins on deadlift
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2008, 11:57:18 PM »
100% right.  "Gone Away", you need to stop posting.  You're hanging yourself with every post.

this reminds me of what happened on my squat day last week.

there's this old fucker at my gym named Jack, nicknamed Turbine because he worked as an engineer for the Navy and is strong as a brahma bull. when he was 63 or so he had a raw pull over 600 pounds and i've seen him, at 67, pull six plates. i'd say he might be the oldest person with a 10x age raw pull i'm aware of.

anyway, i told him about how i hurt my back, and mentioned i'd been pulling beltless. he smacked me in the back of the head and asked "why the fuck were you doing that??" i said i wanted to strengthen up my core. he shook his head and basically told me i was an idiot, and if i wanted to strengthen my core to do it on assistance lifts, put the damn belt on when i pull.

he finished up with something along the lines of "you young guys got all the world in front of ya and go and act like morons!" i responded with "well we don't always have guys like you around to tell us what we're doing wrong!"

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2008, 11:59:36 PM »
you know, i had a long response typed, until i noticed something.

no. NO. bad newbie. all wrong. this is irrefutably 100% incorrect. there is NO argument here, this sentence is entirely and completely bad advice.

you push with your HEELS and move with your glutes and hamstrings. if your weight is on the balls of your feet you're BEGGING for problems. that's why the bar's away from your shins, you're trying to turn it into a squat with the bar in your hands.

although you won't believe me, but i did actually mean the heels. that's what i interpreted 'balls of feet' to mean. guess i should have researched that term beforehand... in virtually any exercise where your feet stay flat, you keep the weight on the heels. that much is obvious.

you move the quads hams and glutes together, as theyre all working in that part of the deadlift. if i remember correctly, ronnie coleman does 'my' form in his unbelievable video, and you can see it when the camera goes side-on.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 12:04:17 AM »
although you won't believe me, but i did actually mean the heels. that's what i interpreted 'balls of feet' to mean. guess i should have researched that term beforehand... in virtually any exercise where your feet stay flat, you keep the weight on the heels. that much is obvious.

you move the quads hams and glutes together, as theyre all working in that part of the deadlift. if i remember correctly, ronnie coleman does 'my' form in his unbelievable video, and you can see it when the camera goes side-on.

if you say you meant heels, i will believe you. i'm skeptical, but okay.

the thing is, ronnie's form is, when he goes heavy, actually pretty rough. it deteriorates over his heavier sets, largely because he readily admits he never goes that heavy normally. for that matter, on his 750 and 800 sets he uses ALL lower back, no quads at all if memory serves. if you want to watch a good puller, check out andy bolton or benedikt magnusson. brian siders comes to mind as well. guys that get their hips involved and pull back on the bar.

it's all leverages, dude. you can take a guy with a 315 deadlift and put him in some flat shoes and get him to lean back more into it and suddenly he's got a 365 pull. now, if you're a bodybuilder and doing reps, then sure the advice is a little moot, but someone doing sets of 6-10 on deadlifts (with straps, likely) is going to pull very differently than someone like me.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2008, 12:14:25 AM »
this reminds me of what happened on my squat day last week.

there's this old fucker at my gym named Jack, nicknamed Turbine because he worked as an engineer for the Navy and is strong as a brahma bull. when he was 63 or so he had a raw pull over 600 pounds and i've seen him, at 67, pull six plates. i'd say he might be the oldest person with a 10x age raw pull i'm aware of.

anyway, i told him about how i hurt my back, and mentioned i'd been pulling beltless. he smacked me in the back of the head and asked "why the fuck were you doing that??" i said i wanted to strengthen up my core. he shook his head and basically told me i was an idiot, and if i wanted to strengthen my core to do it on assistance lifts, put the damn belt on when i pull.

he finished up with something along the lines of "you young guys got all the world in front of ya and go and act like morons!" i responded with "well we don't always have guys like you around to tell us what we're doing wrong!"

That's priceless ;D  Also very impressive he can pull that much weight at that age.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2008, 12:22:42 AM »
That's priceless ;D  Also very impressive he can pull that much weight at that age.

seriously, he's a monster (or was, anyway). most of his joints are shot now, and i haven't seen him doing anything heavy since his SECOND hip replacement (he's about 70 now), but he still lifts when he can. he's the guy that got me into powerlifting, and i swear every time i'm there he busts my balls about going into that gym at 17 weighing a buck fifty and being downright intimidated by this stooped over old bastard hollering like crazy while he pulls over 600 pounds.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2008, 12:34:01 AM »
seriously, he's a monster (or was, anyway). most of his joints are shot now, and i haven't seen him doing anything heavy since his SECOND hip replacement (he's about 70 now), but he still lifts when he can. he's the guy that got me into powerlifting, and i swear every time i'm there he busts my balls about going into that gym at 17 weighing a buck fifty and being downright intimidated by this stooped over old bastard hollering like crazy while he pulls over 600 pounds.

holy smokes, lifting that kind of weight after a FIRST hip replacement is insane.  That's awesome you have him as a kind of mentor.  What were his lifts on the other two of the "big three"?

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2008, 12:42:51 AM »
holy smokes, lifting that kind of weight after a FIRST hip replacement is insane.  That's awesome you have him as a kind of mentor.  What were his lifts on the other two of the "big three"?

no clue. he never really did them. most i ever saw him do on the bench was put 185 on the incline and do sets of 10 slow and controlled. on the squat, he'd put 225 or 275 on and do a few sets and they were more good mornings than squats. it seemed like, at that age, he had his posterior chain left and that was it.

i was told by others that he blew his back out in that weight room shortly before i joined up, and a year later was back to doing it. it was a sight to behold, i'll tell you. like yoda in star wars episode 2. he'd hobble in looking like he can barely walk, blast the weights, and then hobble back out. guy's cool as shit, too, but real old school and no-nonsense.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2008, 12:47:58 AM »
if you say you meant heels, i will believe you. i'm skeptical, but okay.

the thing is, ronnie's form is, when he goes heavy, actually pretty rough. it deteriorates over his heavier sets, largely because he readily admits he never goes that heavy normally. for that matter, on his 750 and 800 sets he uses ALL lower back, no quads at all if memory serves. if you want to watch a good puller, check out andy bolton or benedikt magnusson. brian siders comes to mind as well. guys that get their hips involved and pull back on the bar.

it's all leverages, dude. you can take a guy with a 315 deadlift and put him in some flat shoes and get him to lean back more into it and suddenly he's got a 365 pull. now, if you're a bodybuilder and doing reps, then sure the advice is a little moot, but someone doing sets of 6-10 on deadlifts (with straps, likely) is going to pull very differently than someone like me.

definately. there is alot involved in perfecting the deadlift.

not much more we have to discuss, i think we got to common ground there at the end. :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2008, 07:11:15 AM »
yeah, youre going to get scratched a bit, just the reality of things

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »

not much more we have to discuss, i think we got to common ground there at the end. :)

i've noticed a lot of the time people end up realizing that, had they started off by giving some background info, the debate would have been unnecessary.  ;D

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2008, 10:54:43 AM »
.... and mentioned i'd been pulling beltless.
what's wrong with pulling beltless? ??? ??? ???

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2008, 10:56:18 AM »
what's wrong with pulling beltless? ??? ??? ???

well as it turns out, going extra heavy on beltless pulls standing on a platform is a bit of a game of russian roulette. i might do fine for a few workouts, but then BANG.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »

So we all agree you're wrong. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2008, 11:11:03 PM »
So we all agree you're wrong. :)

here we go again... lol. not gonna start another discussion, but not admitting i'm wrong either. read the thread.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2008, 11:27:41 PM »
here we go again... lol. not gonna start another discussion, but not admitting i'm wrong either. read the thread.

settle down, fella. he's just busting balls.  :D

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2008, 09:00:38 AM »
settle down, fella. he's just busting balls.  :D
Apparently his have "GoneAway"......... ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2008, 11:32:55 AM »
Apparently his have "GoneAway"......... ;D

ahah, well put sir, well put.  ;D