Author Topic: acl tear  (Read 3298 times)

jcguy20

• Getbig II
  • 1st round draft pick
acl tear
« on: May 04, 2008, 06:53:10 PM »
I know there is probably something already on the board about this but cant find it....

Im a football player and i recently tore my acl and now there saying me illl be able to come back for the next football season...but ive heard acl surgury and recovery takes up to a year so how is that possible? just wondering and needed some other opinions im in a knee brace right now and wont get surgury for maybe 2 weeks til I get back home from college

justt needed some help thanks

The Coach

Re: acl tear
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 05:13:38 PM »
I know there is probably something already on the board about this but cant find it....

Im a football player and i recently tore my acl and now there saying me illl be able to come back for the next football season...but ive heard acl surgury and recovery takes up to a year so how is that possible? just wondering and needed some other opinions im in a knee brace right now and wont get surgury for maybe 2 weeks til I get back home from college

justt needed some help thanks

Since the ACL is the most improtant ligament (connects femer to the tibia) The main function is to stop the forward movement of the tibia on the femur, in other words, it helps to stabilize the knee. Tha being said, since you are essentially rehabing a legiment and not a muscle, it's going to take quit a bit longer depending on how well you listen to your ortho. If your MRI revealed a tear, you need to find out what grade tear it is. If you are a grade 1, you're lucky, you could probably get away with a few months of rehab and then use a brace and start with some easy lateral runs. If you are grade 2, rehab might be tried but surgery is likely, grade 3, no choice but surgery. Find out what grade you're at.

When you first did it, were you doing hard lateral movements, come down on it hard and most important.......did you hear a "pop" and was there alot of swelling? 

jcguy20

• Getbig II
  • 1st round draft pick
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 05:26:18 AM »

I didnt hear a pop....it actually went numb for awhile and there was swellling for a couple dadys then it went down.....Its not as swollen but ive been walking on it (its a little tender) I can bend it but wehen i go to far back i can feel something pullling so i know something is wrong but my take on it is that its not completely torn because most guys told me id be on cruches and wouldnt be walking on it as good as I am.....but imgoing to get a second opinion

hoping its not a grade 3 this is my sophmore in colllege and iw as red shirted last year i dont want to sit out another year

fromfattoliving

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 08:52:41 AM »
Hey man I have had over 10 surgeries on my knee/leg alone. Dislocated my knee completely on a jump w/the 82nd. First and foremost you need to control swelling at all costs, if this means icing 2-3 times a day than do it! Your body is not healing when you are swollen. That includes... R.I.C.E. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Just make sure that you have it under control. Next you should find a really good PT one that works with the best ortho in your area, because their success depends on having a good PT to recommend they will help you to start rehabing RIGHT AWAY, there are things that you can do that will prevent loss of motion and straightening that they can help with. Otherwise if you have some good people in your corner follow what they say and you can do whatever you want eventually. Listen to DR's and PT's watch anyone that gives you really specific advice on injuries that is not one esp if your sports career is in jeopardy!