Author Topic: Clancy Ross - passed away  (Read 56310 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Clancy Ross - passed away
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2008, 06:28:08 PM »
RIP Clancy.

Great thread guys......thank you.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2008, 07:24:38 PM »
And thanks to you too, Wes. We kind of got off the Clancy track but he knew most of these guys (if not all of them) and would probably enjoy joining in on this conversation.

Moosejay

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2008, 07:25:26 PM »
Yes, Johnny, Bill did open his first gym in Sacramento as TruGrit mentioned after getting out of the Navy in 1954. I understand that he invested in US War Bonds during his time in active duty and used that money ($2,800) to open that first gym venture. His business grew to roughly 9 successful gyms throughout northern California which he eventually consolidated to the exceptionally fine gym in Sacramento until 1962.

He then moved to Los Angeles ,and purchased the famous George Redpath Gym which I assume was on Manchester Blvd in Hollywood as Max previously mentioned. Thanks, Max. (Good Redpath info here -------> http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/IGH/IGH0301/IGH0301d.pdf )

I don't recall the year but Bill sold his Manchester gym and purchased a building in Pasadena and established his new gym with a nice home directly on the back property.

I do recall that Pasadena was just about the eastern limit of the Los Angeles basin back then. Drive a few blocks east and you were in the desert. But I seem to recall driving out that-a-way to get a haircut in a gym from a new kid who was getting impressive by the name of Rory Leidelmeyer. Anyone recall that town and the name of the gym where Rory trained when he was roughly 18 - 19 years old?

Bill's gym in Pasadena was set up so that the general public could train in the front section and the more serious lifters had the heavier equipment in the back. And there were separate days/hours for the ladies. Back then it was common for the ladies to train on their own private hours/days. I think that changed when Lisa Lyon began training with the guys at Gold's in Santa Monica and all the others followed suit.

Does anyone recall who Lisa's training partner was back in those days? Might have been Bill Grant but I'm not sure about that. Good Trivia question!

Any help on these long time memories is really appreciated. And feel free to correct any mistakes I may be maken!

Here's another trivia question! What was the yearly membership for Gold's Gym when Joe Gold owned it in Venice around 1963 - 1965? You ain't gonna believe me when I tell ya!

Wasn't it $25 or $30?

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2008, 07:43:49 PM »
Wasn't it $25 or $30?

In 1981 a membership at World Gym Santa Monica was $150. So I am going to say $50 for Gold's 1965.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2008, 07:47:42 PM »
One last thing about Clancy, something that you would not know about unless you knew him and spoke with him in person.

He had incredible hair. And he kept it coiffed meticulously. I mean he must have spent hours on it every morning to get it pumped up and slicked back and then hair spray city- because that hair did not move. Think football coach Jimmy Johnson...lol.

One thing I do recall thinking back to 1979 when I first met him, he had a problem with one of his hips-and it mentioned in the article he had both hips replaced-one was replaced twice.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2008, 08:14:45 PM »
Moose, damn close but to the best of my recollection it was $24 a year! How did you come up with that figure? You IS smart!

I first went in there (Gold's) with Gunny Sgt Sam Griffin .... in my eyes - a genuine Marine Corps hero and memorable lifter and character. He took me in to meet Joe Gold who was in the back welding some equipment together. A lot of those members were athletes from UCLA and USC. I weighed in at roughly 185 back then and watched some mammoths squatting in the corner with 495+ on the bar and they were going up from there. I was in decent shape and got invited to join in but I would have fallen through my ass, so I politely declined.

If they had invited me to join in while benching, it would have been a different story though.

I forget the shot-putter who was famous back then but he'd load up the olympic bar with 185+ and push that weight as if was throwing a shot-put with both hands and do reps.

Nope, it was way too far back to be Wayne Bouvier. It would take a few more years before he made his mark as a shot putter and he was a Bill Pearl member anyway once Bill got established in Pasadena.

Wayne was the big guy I mention a year or so ago, who rode around on a very little motor scooter. When he hopped on that scooter, it became invisible beneath his bulky body and it looked like he was the fastest guy who could move forward while in a seated position without moving his legs.

Ahhh .... you'd have to have seen that to understand.   Sorry! Getting carried away again.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2008, 08:29:16 PM »
Johnny, to be honest with ya, I forget about Clancy's hair but I do believe that the day I visited him when he had his leg in a cast was the start of his hip problem. He kind of laughed when he told me that he fell off a stool, but a couple of months later one of his close friends told me. "That's not far from the truth, but did he tell you where that stool was located?" I didn't ask, so he didn't tell.

I have a good friend who lived in the Fremont area and trained with Eddie Corney  before Eddie became a Pro and knew most of these old time greats better than I did and can get some unreal stories on these old time NoCal bodybuilders and the start-up of the supplement industry up that-a-way.

SOme of these old time stories, I can't repeat until some more time passes. Nothing real bad about anyone in particular but could prove embarrassing to most.

Anyone remember MLO?

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2008, 09:26:57 PM »
Thanks again.  S     OH YEA! There is a Gold's Gym facing Lake Merritt in Oakland. I read a brief mention of that location earlier. Can that person provide additional details about that spot?   Off with the kids to see that racing movie and about $60 worth of popcorn, Used to cost a dime a bag but no more!   

That was the original Olympia Gym that opened around 80 or 81 and Don Ross, after he was fired from Clancy's Mr. America Club, was the original manager of that gym when it opened-he was fired pretty fast-then went to a gym in Napa, don't recall the name.

Like I said earlier-the Olympia Gym was very large and had incredible equipment, problem is they had a bunch of idiots running the place-the IRS shut the gym down within 18 months for non payment of taxes-the equipment was sold for 10-20 cents on the dollar, and the Gold's eventually opened up there.

Lake Merritt is a pretty nice area, and it is a good location for a gym.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2008, 10:30:18 PM »
I think that Don flew off to Hawaii shortly after leaving Olympia Gym or maybe he was there before he got that job. He  told me that he got his airline ticket from the state of California and if they were dumb enough to give it to him, he'd be smart enough to take it.

I don't know when you saw Lake Merritt last but there are a lot of new buildings all around it.

Proud to say that my brother in law's father built the retaining wall around that lake.

Here's a recent picture that was taken of a new church under construction about three blocks or less from Gold's Gym which used to be Olympia. I walked past Gold's that day but for some reason, failed to take a picture of it.

Do you have any idea were Yarick's was relative to this Gold's location?

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2008, 08:45:04 AM »
This thread rules. So many fantastic memories of a better time have been shared. I am certain Mr. Ross would approve.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2008, 09:01:15 AM »
Yes, Clancy is more than likely reading this stuff up there someplace and enjoying it a bit. He enjoyed talking about the old times even back then in the old times when I first met him. And he knew this Oakland area well.

Here's another Merritt Lake photo that I meant to post earlier. It's getting to be a very "high rent" area, so if that Gold's Gym location is on a lease, it could possibly not have too many years left to remain in operation.

Great location for a gym though but the luxury highrise construction is moving in an eastward direction and will soon be infringing on that great gym property.

Here's a Lake Merritt photo looking east towards the Oakland Hills which can't be seen in this shot. Gold's is located off the lake a bit beyond that highrise towards the right side of this photo. Prime property to say the least.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2008, 02:32:52 PM »

I drive by Lake Merritt daily, since I'm there numerous times per day on the way to/from work.

That's a pretty good Golds near the Lake, within walking distance of the water. 

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2008, 05:39:38 PM »
I drive by Lake Merritt daily, since I'm there numerous times per day on the way to/from work.

That's a pretty good Golds near the Lake, within walking distance of the water. 

It fronts the water........walk across the street and you're there.  :o

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2008, 07:01:38 PM »
It fronts the water........walk across the street and you're there.  :o

This I know. :)

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2008, 12:28:12 AM »
Great stuff Made In Montana. Can you tell me who owns the website this pic is from-"IronGameLegands"????
Clancy, and the others, will all be remembered for years to come.
It's mine...just to host pictures...to help make sure these guys will be remembered.
Thank you, Johnny, Stunt...and everyone who looks to the beginning again. Everything about these guys is classic, timeless and appeals worldwide to all people as much today as back then. Bodybuilding has come a long way in some aspects, but these guys lacked nothing in terms of ideal strength, health and aesthetically pleasing good looks. Bodybuilding can develop the spirit as much as the physique. That was the reason these guys started doing it...and it's the reason why they will be remembered. The kind of men they were is why I post their pictures.

Clancy, George and Steve

4 Mr. America's: Alan Stephan, Clancy, George Eiferman, Steve Reeves

Steve in front of Ed's

Clancy giving Steve trophy for Mr. Pacific Coast title 1947

Maybe a moderator could move this thread to the history board at some point so it doesn't get lost here.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2008, 12:20:15 PM »
Montana-great pics, I have never seen these.

How can I access all of your pics??????

Thanks-Clancy, and Steve, and the others are not forgotten, not by a long shot.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2008, 06:19:48 PM »
Montana, the photo of Steve taken outside of Yarick's with the gym bag in his right hand kind of looks like Lou Digni. Looks too short to be Steve. Can you confirm? Thanks again, Montana.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »
Montana, the photo of Steve taken outside of Yarick's with the gym bag in his right hand kind of looks like Lou Digni. Looks too short to be Steve. Can you confirm? Thanks again, Montana.

Looks like Steve to me.

If you notice Steve's gym bag, that is what they used to look like, and I had one exactly like that in 1979.  ;D

Moosejay

« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2008, 07:00:54 PM »
Moose, damn close but to the best of my recollection it was $24 a year! How did you come up with that figure? You IS smart!

I first went in there (Gold's) with Gunny Sgt Sam Griffin .... in my eyes - a genuine Marine Corps hero and memorable lifter and character. He took me in to meet Joe Gold who was in the back welding some equipment together. A lot of those members were athletes from UCLA and USC. I weighed in at roughly 185 back then and watched some mammoths squatting in the corner with 495+ on the bar and they were going up from there. I was in decent shape and got invited to join in but I would have fallen through my ass, so I politely declined.

If they had invited me to join in while benching, it would have been a different story though.

I forget the shot-putter who was famous back then but he'd load up the olympic bar with 185+ and push that weight as if was throwing a shot-put with both hands and do reps.

Nope, it was way too far back to be Wayne Bouvier. It would take a few more years before he made his mark as a shot putter and he was a Bill Pearl member anyway once Bill got established in Pasadena.

Wayne was the big guy I mention a year or so ago, who rode around on a very little motor scooter. When he hopped on that scooter, it became invisible beneath his bulky body and it looked like he was the fastest guy who could move forward while in a seated position without moving his legs.

Ahhh .... you'd have to have seen that to understand.   Sorry! Getting carried away again.

Stunt, I recall when Mike Katz first opened his World's in CT in 1979, he charged 99$ per year, and some kid complained, and Mike referenced that Gold's 15 years earlier was "only $25", so an increase of not even 75 bucks over 15 year span should not be whined about :)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2008, 11:42:35 PM »
What strikes me in those old shots aside from the more natural and healthy looking physiques is the relative innocence and optimism. Not much of the cynicism that has spread in to the culture and BB over the decades. Clearly a different time.

longhorn1rob

• Getbig I
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2008, 05:37:57 PM »
RIP Clancy.

Thanks to those of you who posted some great nostalgic stuff. For those interested in the "Dungeon", Dave has lots of stuff written about it in his free weekly articles over at davedraper.com. I'm only 18 but long for this era. Dave is a good friend of mine and one of the greats of the time period. Again, thanks for sharing these stories.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2008, 06:01:48 PM »
Montana, Thanks for those new photos. I've never seen any of them before.

I've been traveling to and from Lake Tahoe so I've not been on this site for a good while. Good to be back and see that people are still interested.

Bodybuilding was completely different back then. Very unknown  and very few involved in any capacity. No one was making money off the sport except for the magazines and a few of the guys who went into the movies either in front of or behind the camera.

PUMPSTER, I couldn't have said it any better and agree with you completely .... "the relative innocence and optimism" that prevailed back then. It was such a small activity that everyone involved knew everyone else.

Those definitely were the good old days.

Johny V, you're more than likely right about that being Steve in the "gymbag picture" but it sure is a striking resemblance to Lou Degni when he was still a young kid.

Montana, do you know Steve's age in each of those photos? I think I first met Steve in or about 1947, the year he won the Pacific Coast. I was in the area back then as a young kid and I recall going down to the train station (or that "train" that ran from Oakland to San Francisco over the Oakland Bay Bridge and from there - to points further south) to help send Steve off to one of the California contests - and the Pacific Coast might just be the one. DO you know when and where it was held and some further details about that event? Wasn't it George Eifferman who went on that train trip with him?

Thanks, Montana.

Made in Montana

• Getbig II
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2008, 07:52:38 PM »
Stunt...20 yrs. old with the gym bag and 21 with the trophy with Clancy. Thank you for sharing...and everyone commenting with good stuff.

Sam Loprinzi sponsored the 1946 Mr. Pacific Coast contest in Portland, Oregon. Steve and his work out partner at the time, Bob Weidlich, entered the Dec. 21st show. They left on Fri., Dec. 20 on the Pacific South Railway car for Portland. Steve and Bob both carried a gym bag with a change of clothes and their posing trunks, and sandwiches and fruit for the trip that Gr Goldie packed for them.

They did not tell Ed Yarick that they entered the contest because that way if either of them did well, then they would surprise him with the good news. Ed was like an older brother/father figure/role model for Steve because Steve's father Lester died when he was two from a pitchfork that went into his stomach. Steve's stepfather went to the bar, drank and smoked, played cards and told jokes...but that was it. He thought bodybuilding was a waste of time and told Steve to dig holes in the backyard instead of lift weights. In other words, Ed had more influence on Steve because of similiar interests.

Steve and Bob were both a little excited and nervous not sure how they would do. They waited a week before the contest to enter. The Mr. Pacific Coast show in Portland was sold out. Merlsi and Bradly started out with a handbalancing act. The judges were Dud Nelson, George Pavlich, Joe Loprinzi, Al Kost and Dr. C. Wheeler. There were 3 classes and the winner was determined by a point system: 5 pts. for muscularity, 7 pts. for proportion, 2 points for posing, a point for general overall appearance=15 pts. total on each of the scorecards. So in other words...75 pts. was a perfect score.

Three poses were allowed and they had to do their routine in 90 sec. When it was Steve's turn, he stepped up on the platform and did a front double biceps, a rear double biceps and front lat spread. The crowd went wild cheering and he scored 72 pts. Steve won Mr. Pacific Coast the first time at age 20. Strength and Health took his picture and put as a caption "The Herculean Steve Reeves" (11 years before he was offered to play the role for Hercules on film). When he came back he cave his trophy to Ed and said "Merry Christmas, Ed!"

The 1947 Mr. Pacific Coast contest that was sponsored by the S. California Weightlifting Assoc. was on May 24th at the Embassey auditorium in L.A. Steve entered this one too up against home town favorite Eric Pedersen and Bill Cantrell. Walt Marcyan wrote in Your Physique "Steve out-glowed, out-shone, and out muscled them all! I personally proclaim him to be the finest specimen of American Manhood I have ever seen...He hasn't a single weak spot in his make up." He won 4 trophies that night for Best arms, Best chest, Best Legs and Champion of show--the most ever won by a competitor at a single show.

Steve and Eric Pedersen