Author Topic: Squat, Deadlift, Bent over row  (Read 3397 times)

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Squat, Deadlift, Bent over row
« on: May 09, 2008, 08:22:28 AM »
These exercises shoud be avoid, the spine can be damaged, even if light weight is used ?

What's your opinion ?

Thank you.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Squat, Deadlift, Bent over row
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:43:14 AM »
There is a well guarded secret that special hospitals and care units are only for people who have used squats, DL's, and bent over row's. The more extreme abuse of these exercises, with the actual adding weight on a lifting bar, have led to untimely deaths of these foolish folk. Always be cautious if attempting to workout. Good Luck.
F

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:54:09 PM »
Any excercise can damage any1 if done incorrectly or with bad form. But the ones u mentioned probs have injured alot of people. On the flip side theyv also probably put more muscle on more lifters than any other excercises?!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »
If you are going to avoid those for fear of injury, you might as well avoid training altogether. 
You should learn the proper form on every exercise and lift smartly to prevent injury.

:)

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:10:27 PM »
These exercises shoud be avoid, the spine can be damaged, even if light weight is used ?

What's your opinion ?

Thank you.

::) ::) ::)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 09:34:59 PM »

What's your opinion ?

Thank you.

You're an idiot.

You're welcome.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:59:03 PM »
With good form they are brilliant and safe exercises

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 08:31:35 AM »
If you are going to avoid those for fear of injury, you might as well avoid training altogether. 
You should learn the proper form on every exercise and lift smartly to prevent injury.

Bingo! perfect answer.  :)
Masters- 50-54
148#

sip53tkd

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 08:41:15 AM »
Nothing wrong with either one of them You need to concentrate on doing them correctly. I personally like Bent over barbell rows the most. The correct way to do these is to perform the
movement while on an elevated surface, such as a flat bench. You need to be able to lower the
barbell past your feet and pause at the bottom to really stretch the lats. I personally never go
above 250 lbs, but try and do at least 10 reps per set. I see so many guys today that just do
them from the floor. It is wasted effort.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 02:01:38 PM »
Nothing wrong with either one of them You need to concentrate on doing them correctly. I personally like Bent over barbell rows the most. The correct way to do these is to perform the
movement while on an elevated surface, such as a flat bench. You need to be able to lower the
barbell past your feet and pause at the bottom to really stretch the lats. I personally never go
above 250 lbs, but try and do at least 10 reps per set. I see so many guys today that just do
them from the floor. It is wasted effort.
Good post Ed. 8)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 02:34:10 PM »
I love squatting but hate deadlifting. I think it goes back to my younger days when I used to cheat with deadlifts using incorrect form and a rounded back and it's fucked me up since. My lower back is very weak as a result. Squatting I can get away with because for some reason my lower back doesn't come into play as much and I don't have any knee problems so it's a decent exercise for me.

Kviahellan

• Getbig II
  • Monsterceps
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 10:38:19 AM »
Work on quality, then quantity.
#

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 11:34:11 AM »
Thanks everyone  :-*

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 02:30:18 PM »
these exercises should be learned correctly and then be the staples of anyones workout when trying to add muscle

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 02:07:57 PM »
Dangerous stuff  :o
Vain people do this danger-freak-exercises to impress the elderly and more often than not fuck up their lifes and spines.

Stay away.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
Dangerous stuff  :o
Vain people do this danger-freak-exercises to impress the elderly and more often than not fuck up their lifes and spines.

Stay away.

when people take responsibility to do these motions correctly, there should be no problem at all...these are great exercises

jdooly

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 01:48:37 PM »

What's your opinion ?

Thank you.

good luck making gains if you're scared. 

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 11:52:14 AM »
during many years i used to handle more than 400 lbs for deadlift, 350 lbs for barbell squat,...

now i am older and want to stay injuries free, so i am still squatting but i do 15-20 reps per set, for deadlift i only do partial deadlift, and for rows i prefer chest support rows/and one dumbell row.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »
you might as well plan on your development coming to a halt faster than it would if you did them.

look you can get hurt doing anything..this is why LEARNING PROPER FORM IS CRUCIAL! If you don't learn it, the chances of injury are obviously increased. If you DO learn proper form with lighter weight and progress up  as time goes by, the risk of injury is lowered but let's not kid ourselves.... you can get hurt doing anything. You could break your ankle on the way into the gym from teh parking lot but you're not thinking about that ever are you?  No... so learn the proper way to do these exercises that best suits YOUR BUILD and go from there.

Do not squat, deadlift, etc...you might as well just run on the treadmill imho.