Author Topic: Why isn't natural bodybuilding a bigger deal?  (Read 17016 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Why isn't natural bodybuilding a bigger deal?
« on: May 09, 2008, 09:43:52 AM »
 With all the gyms now ,supplement companies,and negatove steroid press, you would think that drug free bodybuilding would be a bigger deal. Sadly, most drug testing shows and sanctions are small, low budget operations.I have often thought that a true drug free bodybuilding organization with the right name and $$ behind it, would be a bigger success than the current IFBB pro div.
Of course, I am also the guy that said this after someone told me,in 1999, that Texas GOV. G. W Bush would be the next president . " That guy can barely complete a sentence, who would ever vote for that numbnut?" Well, Bushy got elected not once but twice and the IFBB is still light years ahead of any natural organization...go figure ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Why isn't natural bodybuilding a bigger deal?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:52:13 AM »
As you know, bodybuilding’s appeal lies in the freak factor.  People like to see big freaky physiques that they couldn’t see otherwise.  Why pay to go to a natural show when you can see the same physiques (or bigger physiques) in your local gym, at the beach, etc.?  People like to push the envelope and audiences want to see the envelope pushed.  Physiques have gotten a lot bigger over the years—not smaller.  If the bodies got smaller people would stop going.  Bodybuilding is a fringe sport; natural bodybuilding is a fringe within a fringe.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 09:53:39 AM »
As you know, bodybuilding’s appeal likes in the freak factor.  People like to see big freaky physiques that they couldn’t see otherwise.  Why pay to go to a natural show when you can see the same physiques (or bigger physiques) in your local gym, at the beach, etc.?  People like to push the envelope and audiences want to see the envelope pushed.  Physiques have gotten a lot bigger over the years—not smaller.  If the bodies got smaller people would stop going.  Bodybuilding is a fringe sport; natural bodybuilding is a fringe within a fringe.
well said.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »
As you know, bodybuilding’s appeal lies in the freak factor.  People like to see big freaky physiques that they couldn’t see otherwise.  Why pay to go to a natural show when you can see the same physiques (or bigger physiques) in your local gym, at the beach, etc.?  People like to push the envelope and audiences want to see the envelope pushed.  Physiques have gotten a lot bigger over the years—not smaller.  If the bodies got smaller people would stop going.  Bodybuilding is a fringe sport; natural bodybuilding is a fringe within a fringe.

I've seen some of the guys that compete in organizations like the WNBF. Maybe it's just me. But I don't see Jim Cordovas and Rodney Helaires falling out of the sky at the local gyms in my area.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:18:50 AM »
With all the gyms now ,supplement companies,and negatove steroid press, you would think that drug free bodybuilding would be a bigger deal. Sadly, most drug testing shows and sanctions are small, low budget operations.I have often thought that a true drug free bodybuilding organization with the right name and $$ behind it, would be a bigger success than the current IFBB pro div.
Of course, I am also the guy that said this after someone told me,in 1999, that Texas GOV. G. W Bush would be the next president . " That guy can barely complete a sentence, who would ever vote for that numbnut?" Well, Bushy got elected not once but twice and the IFBB is still light years ahead of any natural organization...go figure ;D

Who cares about 165lb shredded guys posing in glitter panties on stage?  Add 100lbs to those genetically gifted competitors via gear and then we have a reason to collect cash.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 10:24:21 AM »
Human beings are naturally attracted to spectacles/oddities(freak shows, car crashes, sex and violence, jerry springer....etc.) and drug produced bodybuilding is a spectacle.
A

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 10:33:31 AM »

You must also remember that a number of the better natural bodybuilders compete in the open NPC shows (more exposure and publicity). Unfortunately, natural bodybuilding is in a no-win rut, it seems. The better you look, the less-likely people think that you're drug-free (I refer you to the bazillion threads, questioning Skip LaCour's drug-free status that have been started over the years).

People only believe you're drug-free, if your physique lacks shape and proportion and/or you're ripped but look like a (relatively speaking) twig.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 10:37:11 AM »
You must also remember that a number of the better natural bodybuilders compete in the open NPC shows (more exposure and publicity). Unfortunately, natural bodybuilding is in a no-win rut, it seems. The better you look, the less-likely people think that you're drug-free (I refer you to the bazillion threads, questioning Skip LaCour's drug-free status that have been started over the years).

People only believe you're drug-free, if your physique lacks shape and proportion and/or you're ripped but look like a (relatively speaking) twig.
Yea, whatever Tulip. Skip LaCour is totally on MuscleTech. One of my inside sources says he used a stack like this for the 2005 Team U...

NirtoTech: 3 shakes daily.
 Cell-Tech: Upon awakening and post-workout.
 AnatorP70: 1 shake daily.
 Pump Tech: 6 pills pre-workout.
 Creakic: 4 pills on workout days only.

That's a pretty sick cycle. You can't possibly think he's natural on a boatload of shit like that.
?

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 10:37:40 AM »
I do think that natural bodybuilding is on the up though.Top supplement companies such as EAS,CNP,Reflex,Maximuscle,Savant(Udo's Oil) etc. are sponsoring the shows here in the UK and both audience and competitor numbers are on the increase.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »
Human beings are naturally attracted to spectacles/oddities(freak shows, car crashes, sex and violence, jerry springer....etc.) and bodybuilding is a spectacle.
Yeah, but consider that the figure/fitness girls are lot more marketable then the pro female bodybuilders.
Plus, look at the winners of the typical beauty contest or even bikini contest, etc.
I think that IFBB has a steady, devoted hardcore crowd that wants the freaks. But this crowd is limited and won't grow. A natural , more mainstream kind of physique contest would have huge potential, just like when figure came in and outpaced the female bodybuilders.

Sharma

• Getbig IV
  • TEAMNASSER4LIFE
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 10:41:08 AM »
Yes, they love the freaks. Look at a guy like Nasser, 300 rock solid pounds with perfect abs.

but no one wants to see naturals. Naturals look like complete shit and everyone laughs at their pitiful bodies.

even the old school were running plenty of gear.
physiques with no gear look like shit. the ones that don't are guys denying they used.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 10:41:34 AM »
Why pay to go to a natural show when you can see the same physiques (or bigger physiques) in your local gym, at the beach, etc.? 

There it is.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 10:42:05 AM »
I've seen some of the guys that compete in organizations like the WNBF. Maybe it's just me. But I don't see Jim Cordovas and Rodney Helaires falling out of the sky at the local gyms in my area.

Where do you live?  What gym do you go to?  In the CA and FL gyms I go to big guys are very common. 

And they are available for G4P, Gay-4-charity, Gay-4-pleasure  :P

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 10:44:11 AM »
One problem with natural bodybuilding is that it is  compared to juiced bodybuilding.I mean a natural guy compared to a Ronnie Coleman looks silly.In other pro sports,the guys that weren't juicing were still fantastic.Mickey Mantle is still remembered as great,the same with NBA guys and NFL guys.In fact,many think Jimmy Brown wasstill the greatest football player ever.Because bodybuilding is only about the body,its too easy to see the differences between juiced and non juiced physiques.

In fact,its very hard to even know if there ever was a truly clean pro bodybuilder,as the sport developed at the same pace as steroid use.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 10:44:49 AM »
Where do you live?  What gym do you go to?  In the CA and FL gyms I go to big guys are very common.
Yea, I bet they are Liberace.   ::)
?

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »
Yeah, but consider that the figure/fitness girls are lot more marketable then the pro female bodybuilders.
Plus, look at the winners of the typical beauty contest or even bikini contest, etc.
I think that IFBB has a steady, devoted hardcore crowd that wants the freaks. But this crowd is limited and won't grow. A natural , more mainstream kind of physique contest would have huge potential, just like when figure came in and outpaced the female bodybuilders.

I think what your seeing with female bodybuilding is such a departure from a feminine ideal that it narrows the appeal even further.    This has an effect on the perception of female bodybuilders as they become more muscular they are viewed as more masculine. Female bodybuilding loses its titillation/sex appeal except for a few weirdos who find women with stubble attractive.  It is different for men.  Muscle equals masculine power or maleness and in some ways by some individuals it is viewed that the more muscle the more masculine or powerful.  I am not argue against what your saying about naturals just providing a reasoning for the popularity of unnatural competition over natural.
A

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 10:56:32 AM »
Yea, whatever Tulip. Skip LaCour is totally on MuscleTech. One of my inside sources says he used a stack like this for the 2005 Team U...

NirtoTech: 3 shakes daily.
 Cell-Tech: Upon awakening and post-workout.
 AnatorP70: 1 shake daily.
 Pump Tech: 6 pills pre-workout.
 Creakic: 4 pills on workout days only.

That's a pretty sick cycle. You can't possibly think he's natural on a boatload of shit like that.

If there's one poster who truly lives up to his name, it's you.

Notwithstanding your aversion to making a complete dope out of yourself, it would help if you actually got your facts straight.

First, why are you obessesed with MuscleTech? Nobody here has even mentioned the company, until you arrived, spewing your usual brand of foolishness.

Second, LaCour didn't compete in the 2005 Team Universe, his last TU appearance was in 2003, winning his class but losing the overall to Jeff Willet.

Third, LaCour has never been with MuscleTech. He's worked for MET-Rx, Twinlab (especially when Blechman was running "All-Natural MD"), and for the past several years, he's been with AST.

Of course, MuscleTech has little to do with the subject at hand. That's merely you, operating in rebel-without-a-clue mode.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »

Notwithstanding your aversion to making a complete dope out of yourself, it would help if you actually got your facts straight.

First, why are you obessesed with MuscleTech? Nobody here has even mentioned the company, until you arrived, spewing your usual brand of foolishness.

Second, LaCour didn't compete in the 2005 Team Universe, his last TU appearance was in 2003, winning his class but losing the overall to Jeff Willet.

Third, LaCour has never been with MuscleTech. He's worked for MET-Rx, Twinlab (especially when Blechman was running "All-Natural MD"), and for the past several years, he's been with AST.

Of course, MuscleTech has little to do with the subject at hand. That's merely you, operating in rebel-without-a-clue mode.

Ouch!  I felt that smackdown from all the way over here!  :-[

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 11:03:28 AM »
Ouch!  I felt that smackdown from all the way over here!  :-[
I bet you did, Clay Aiken.   ::)
?

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 11:05:17 AM »
yes buts thats because of sex appeal

and because woman's BBing is contrary to what is the ideal "female" since they are taking male hormones and end up barely resembling anything female or feminine------as opposed to Male BBing, where they are taking copious amounts of testosterone (the male hormone) and becoming basically super masculine

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 11:07:38 AM »
howard,

would you attend a male figure show?

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 11:08:16 AM »

Hahahahahaha! You always MELT like baby holding a popcicle in the summertime.
?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 11:09:52 AM »

If they're so marketable, why hasn't a single one of them acheived any kind of mainstream success?

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 11:10:24 AM »
yes buts thats because of sex appeal

and because woman's BBing is contrary to what is the ideal "female" since they are taking male hormones and end up barely resembling anything female or feminine------as opposed to Male BBing, where they are taking copious amounts of testosterone (the male hormone) and becoming basically super masculine

I'm happy you understand that distinction.  When I ask girls if they like male bodybuilders they often follow up by asking me whether or not I like female bodybuilders which doesn't make much sense to me because muscle is hyper-masculine, and it would make more sense if I like Kate Moss for example, who is extremely thin (if we look at thin as being a feminine trait, then Kate Moss would be hyper-feminine.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 11:11:03 AM »

This:

Bodybuilding Pro.com