Author Topic: wide back?  (Read 15208 times)

anabolic33

• Getbig I
wide back?
« on: May 14, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »
Iv heard that using a narrow grip on most back exercises gets you wider than using a wide grip on exercises? please comment.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
Re: wide back?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 05:56:35 PM »
Narrow grip for width, wide grip for inner back.  Most people have that backwards.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 06:21:32 PM »
Different grips emphasize different areas so it's better to vary the grips and use a variety.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 06:44:59 PM »
Narrow grip for width, wide grip for inner back.  Most people have that backwards.
whoa ! ive been doign wide grip pull downs in attemt to widen my back...  fuckljhlsfjnvldsr

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »
yes, narrow grip for back width and a wide grip to work inner back.

just like close grip bicep curls work outer biceps, and wide grip curls work inner bicep

on lat pulldowns a wide grip will work your upper, outer lats, while a close grip will work your lower lats.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 11:15:07 PM »
yes, narrow grip for back width and a wide grip to work inner back.

just like close grip bicep curls work outer biceps, and wide grip curls work inner bicep

on lat pulldowns a wide grip will work your upper, outer lats, while a close grip will work your lower lats.

Underhand close grip pulldowns are a good exercise for lower lats, gets em nice and toasty.

Speaking of grips on curls.  I was reading something the other day that the way you can figure out how to optimally hit the inner and outter bicep with BB curls is to stand over the par with your arms in a completely relaxed state, then basically turn them over palms up and this is how you should grip the bar to hit both heads.  The guy said it wasn't an exact science but works pretty well.  Anyone agree/disagree/thoughts?  I always just varied grip on sets, but this seems interesting.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 03:02:48 AM »
edit: irrelevant posts removed. let's try to stick to the subject guys and keep the fighting out of the training board.  :)
Z

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 11:12:35 AM »
Underhand close grip pulldowns are a good exercise for lower lats, gets em nice and toasty.

Speaking of grips on curls.  I was reading something the other day that the way you can figure out how to optimally hit the inner and outter bicep with BB curls is to stand over the par with your arms in a completely relaxed state, then basically turn them over palms up and this is how you should grip the bar to hit both heads.  The guy said it wasn't an exact science but works pretty well.  Anyone agree/disagree/thoughts?  I always just varied grip on sets, but this seems interesting.

it makes sense to me that it would target both areas.  I dont do that though, i pick one or the other and rotate it every week as to which side of the bi's i work.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 11:40:12 AM »
99% of us have no reason to worry about distinctions like that.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 11:46:57 AM »

I don't' usually either, just something I read and thought I'd ask for opinions =)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 11:52:55 AM »
i think its important to activate growth in every sector of the muscle...    so understanding what kind of grip stresses which section of muscle fibers is soemthing that i, ersonally, wouuld pay attention to..   

for yourself i think your probably right though, just lift hard and heavy and get the fuck out of the gym.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 01:17:34 PM »
dizzle, it's true for almost any of us. 99% of trainers don't have the need to start targeting "width", "thickness", "density", "inner back", "inner chest", "teardrop", "rear delts", "intercostals", "horseshoe" and any of the other FLEX mag nonsense that gets pounded into people's heads.

you look at my back and it's wider and thicker than ever. my "secret"? i do pullups and rows with whatever grip helps me feel it in my back the best. either it's contracting or it isn't. width comes from lats and teres major. "thickness" is traps and lower back. your back hardly gives a shit where your hands are on the bar.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 01:22:14 PM »
OKAY  magoo i got no reason to argue with you do your own thing your obvisouly hard headed

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 01:55:01 PM »
OKAY  magoo i got no reason to argue with you do your own thing your obvisouly hard headed

you say that as though you aren't. ::)

i respect your dedication and your attention to detail, all i'm saying is that you need to K.I.S.S. a bit. you're worrying too much about things that you have zero reason to concern yourself with.

i did the same thing for the longest time. i'd do front squats to target the teardrop of the quads, leg press with three different foot placements to target various areas. when i did chest, i'd do cable crossovers to get more out of my inner chest and on back day i'd pick exercises to work on this part or that part of my back. let's not forget how often i tried to juggle shoulder exercises depending on which head i thought needed work. ::)

these are the kinds of things newbies worry about because they get wrapped up in muscle and fitness magazine workout templates. they look at their barely-developed bodies and start envisioning muscle imbalances and then over-analyze their workouts. it's unnecessary.

guaranteed, guaran-fucking-teed, if more lifters did the majority of their work on each body part with one core movement instead of trying to hit it from 50 different angles, they'd progress a lot faster.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 03:57:06 PM »
you look at my back and it's wider and thicker than ever. my "secret"? i do pullups and rows with whatever grip helps me feel it in my back the best. either it's contracting or it isn't. width comes from lats and teres major. "thickness" is traps and lower back. your back hardly gives a shit where your hands are on the bar.

Based on your pics, lots of potential still left on the table; better to be open minded rather than patting oneself on the back for great accomplishments that are as yet unrealized. i reiterate that there's much to be gained by open-mindedness. Even if one decides to "keep it simple" there are still good questions to ask as to what is simple-which exercises are best, how to do them, etc.

For example. alot of Schwarzenegger's back routines often didn't include BB rows, instead used T-bars, which i've always thought and said were similar yet arguably better. If you just stick to vanilla what the book says you miss out on some things that can be better.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 03:58:10 PM »
gotta agree with "Magoo" on keeping it simple...especially with newbs

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 04:18:51 PM »
i say keep it complicated or you get bored and stop going to the gym mix that shit up homie
and dont forget to check out the ladies between sets
Z

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 04:21:52 PM »
you say that as though you aren't. ::)

i respect your dedication and your attention to detail, all i'm saying is that you need to K.I.S.S. a bit. you're worrying too much about things that you have zero reason to concern yourself with.

i did the same thing for the longest time. i'd do front squats to target the teardrop of the quads, leg press with three different foot placements to target various areas. when i did chest, i'd do cable crossovers to get more out of my inner chest and on back day i'd pick exercises to work on this part or that part of my back. let's not forget how often i tried to juggle shoulder exercises depending on which head i thought needed work. ::)

these are the kinds of things newbies worry about because they get wrapped up in muscle and fitness magazine workout templates. they look at their barely-developed bodies and start envisioning muscle imbalances and then over-analyze their workouts. it's unnecessary.

guaranteed, guaran-fucking-teed, if more lifters did the majority of their work on each body part with one core movement instead of trying to hit it from 50 different angles, they'd progress a lot faster.

Candizzle is a bodybuilder and you are a powerlifter or permabulker, which ever you prefer. Apples and Oranges Magoo.
E

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 04:31:25 PM »
i agree with danielson and i think he should post here more often
Z

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 04:36:44 PM »
Based on your pics, i reiterate that there's much to be gained by open-mindedness. Even if one decides to "keep it simple" there are still good questions to ask as to what is simple-which exercises are best, how to do them, etc.

For example. alot of Schwarzenegger's back routines often didn't include BB rows, instead used T-bars, which i've always thought and said were similar yet arguably better. If you just stick to vanilla what the book says you miss out on some things that can be better.

dude, didn't you get all up in my grill in another thread because i brought up posting pictures? ::)

now that you're all up on mine, i guess that means we'll see yours next, right? ...right?

you are correct on "what exercise really is best", and i entirely think that's personal. maybe you respond to incline better than flat, or heavy chins instead of rows, but the point isn't trying to hit it from the right "angle", just trying to find out what gets the muscles stimulated best. getting bogged down in this "wait, i can't do skullcrushers, i already targeted the long head of my tris" bullshit is robbing a lot of trainers of potential gains.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 04:39:24 PM »
dude, didn't you get all up in my grill in another thread because i brought up posting pictures? ::)

now that you're all up on mine, i guess that means we'll see yours next, right? ...right?

you are correct on "what exercise really is best", and i entirely think that's personal. maybe you respond to incline better than flat, or heavy chins instead of rows, but the point isn't trying to hit it from the right "angle", just trying to find out what gets the muscles stimulated best. getting bogged down in this "wait, i can't do skullcrushers, i already targeted the long head of my tris" bullshit is robbing a lot of trainers of potential gains.

No offense but that physique doesn't jive with your unequivocal judgements on training. You should be the first in line open to new suggestions if you wanna improve, if (big if) you're even training hard.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »
No offense but that physique doesn't suggest that you know that much about training or that anywhere near your full potential's been realized, if (big if) you're even training hard.

As someone who can admit I am not much of a physical specimen myself, I agree with Pumpster. Candizzle looks better than you Magoo, whatever he is doing is working better than what you are doing.  It's like me giving Meso advice, just seems kind of out of left field. JMHO
E

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 04:48:38 PM »
No offense but that physique doesn't jive with your unequivocal judgements on training. You should be the first in line open to new suggestions if you wanna improve, if (big if) you're even training hard.

dude, are you for real? or should i be waiting for ashton kutcher to pop up. look at my training journal if you want an idea of how i train. keep in mind i've got videos there as well. i suggest the 225x20 bench video or the 455 platform pull and the 375 zercher. they're pretty recent.

and danny, i'm not sure what's up with you. you've abruptly started following me around to the training board, the PL board, and the pet board just to make dumb little comments. i'm honestly perplexed as to when you suddenly started having this hard-on for me.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 04:51:30 PM »
dude, are you for real? or should i be waiting for ashton kutcher to pop up. look at my training journal if you want an idea of how i train. keep in mind i've got videos there as well. i suggest the 225x20 bench video or the 455 platform pull and the 375 zercher. they're pretty recent.

and danny, i'm not sure what's up with you. you've abruptly started following me around to the training board, the PL board, and the pet board just to make dumb little comments. i'm honestly perplexed as to when you suddenly started having this hard-on for me.

I complimented you on the 225 lift. I am not following you at all. FOR A BODYBUILDER Candi looks better than you. I think we can all agree on that. Just seems odd to give him advice on BBing is all. If I were giving you advice on deadlifting wouldn't you think it was a bit odd?
E

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 04:51:33 PM »

The numbers are ok but aren't everything when it comes to development.

Call down, you seem like a real hothead. You still have a lot to learn based on the hard-headed intransigence you display re: other modes of training than the ones you've already "mastered".