Author Topic: Kevin Nee - 500lb RAW Bench  (Read 10913 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Kevin Nee - 500lb RAW Bench
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:03:26 AM »
This guy is all around STRONG! 500lb bench, 865 deadlift, and an 825 box squat?!?! He could tear it up in powerlifting. Heres the bench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRk4m3jDMsw

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Kevin Nee - 500lb RAW Bench
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 01:23:28 PM »
i say three more years, tops, before some kind of disaster strikes him.

when i saw him at 22 or 23 in the WSM practically SWEATING androgens, i was getting bad omens. not that i feel like being needlessly cruel, but he's got "jesse marunde" written all over him, if he makes it that long.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 01:44:57 PM »
Maggot: what exactly do you mean "sweating androgens" ?

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »
Suicide grip always makes me cringe  :-\

Great strength

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 04:47:55 PM »
strong dude.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 05:41:39 PM »

when i saw him at 22 or 23 in the WSM practically SWEATING androgens, i was getting bad omens. not that i feel like being needlessly cruel, but he's got "jesse marunde" written all over him, if he makes it that long.

Jesse was all natural and you're just jealous! >:( ::) ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »
Suicide grip always makes me cringe  :-\

Great strength

that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw it myself.. strong pressing for sure! But if someone in that gym was smart..they'd tell him to not risk his fucking career doing that. The last pl meet i was in..dude let 405 slip with a monkey grip like that and damn near broke his wrist when it went and smashed his arm against his chest. NO FUN!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 01:03:42 AM »
Maggot: what exactly do you mean "sweating androgens" ?

i mean he was 21 years old at the WSM and so obviously geared up it was practically seeping out of his flesh. there's a difference between being "on steroids" and being "crazily juiced up", and nee falls into the latter category.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 01:37:09 AM »
i mean he was 21 years old at the WSM and so obviously geared up it was practically seeping out of his flesh. there's a difference between being "on steroids" and being "crazily juiced up", and nee falls into the latter category.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw him compete. It looks like he'll go to any lengths to win - like the way he was passing out every time he completed an event - he had to be given oxygen at every opportunity - scary stuff. It reminded me of how Curtis Leffler was back in the day.

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 06:10:17 AM »
Kevin is freak for sure, and he is without a doubt pushing the limits IMO. I hope he can find a happy medium and stay healthy.

Monopoly

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 10:35:16 AM »
Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw him compete. It looks like he'll go to any lengths to win - like the way he was passing out every time he completed an event - he had to be given oxygen at every opportunity - scary stuff. It reminded me of how Curtis Leffler was back in the day.

holy shit. i had no idea bout the oxygen. seriously, if that's happening, then that should be a slight indication that you're doing something terribly, terribly wrong.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »
holy shit. i had no idea bout the oxygen. seriously, if that's happening, then that should be a slight indication that you're doing something terribly, terribly wrong.

Strongman competitors in the WSM often need oxygen after they've completed certain events - the weather plays a big part too. That wasn't what worried me because it happens all the time - it was the fact that he would collapse every time he competed an event (usually one of the static lifts) that worried me - even the bigger guys carrying more bodyfat weren't doing that. The guy is setting himself up for a serious accident in the future if he doesn't tone it down somewhat.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 11:28:51 AM »

Marunde died from a congenital heart defect and not steroid use.  Thanks for being an asshole to a great guy and propagating a myth though!  Also, Jesse was one guy who definitely cycled on and off.

Jason

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 01:50:48 PM »
Marunde died from a congenital heart defect and not steroid use.  Thanks for being an asshole to a great guy and propagating a myth though!  Also, Jesse was one guy who definitely cycled on and off.

Jason

Jesse Marunde was an awesome strongman who died far too soon. i see that kevin nee may do the same.

and let me say that i truly believe steroids are an indirect cause with things like this. when you're significantly over 300 pounds and putting your body under IMMENSE stresses, your heart isn't going to like that. the heart ain't made for it. and if steroids are the way you got to that weight and are helping you push your system to its limits...

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 05:08:44 PM »
Jesse Marunde was an awesome strongman who died far too soon. i see that kevin nee may do the same.

and let me say that i truly believe steroids are an indirect cause with things like this. when you're significantly over 300 pounds and putting your body under IMMENSE stresses, your heart isn't going to like that. the heart ain't made for it. and if steroids are the way you got to that weight and are helping you push your system to its limits...

Hit the nail on the head. I'm not anti-steroids, but if you already have a congenital heart defect, putting it under stress will contribute to it failing. Very few diseases are purely genetic. I'm not saying steroids killed Jesse Marunde, but they played a part, just like his heart problem did

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 04:34:52 AM »
This guy is all around STRONG! 500lb bench, 865 deadlift, and an 825 box squat?!?! He could tear it up in powerlifting. Heres the bench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRk4m3jDMsw
Levrone did 5 reps with that weight, like coleman, or Ruhl... Nothing impressive in a Strongman...
S

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 09:02:09 AM »

Found this picture on flickr. Entitled..."Kevin Nee passes out again:-\

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 11:16:06 AM »
Levrone did 5 reps with that weight, like coleman, or Ruhl... Nothing impressive in a Strongman...

Strongmen dont bench. At most they do CG bench. If he practiced bench pressing like he does the squat and deadlift, it would be a lot higher.

He does collapse quite a bit. He will argue that he is "giving it all he's got" but it seems to be more than that.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 11:18:28 AM »
What exactly is causing his collapses?

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 09:24:07 PM »
Strongmen dont bench. At most they do CG bench. If he practiced bench pressing like he does the squat and deadlift, it would be a lot higher.

He does collapse quite a bit. He will argue that he is "giving it all he's got" but it seems to be more than that.

the problem is... there's a line between "giving it all you've got" and "being smart". honestly, if i really wanted to blow myself out you could take a lot of my sets and add a few reps, but as it is i'm sucking wind and my heart's pounding. my 7:30 mile could have been under 7 easily if i wanted to run so hard i passed out at the end, but that's just fucking stupid.

if nee is passing out FREQUENTLY... that's sad. aside from being at a point that doesn't seem particularly healthy as it is, he's taxing his body to the point of collapse? bad bad bad.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 09:39:34 PM »
the problem is... there's a line between "giving it all you've got" and "being smart". honestly, if i really wanted to blow myself out you could take a lot of my sets and add a few reps, but as it is i'm sucking wind and my heart's pounding. my 7:30 mile could have been under 7 easily if i wanted to run so hard i passed out at the end, but that's just fucking stupid.

if nee is passing out FREQUENTLY... that's sad. aside from being at a point that doesn't seem particularly healthy as it is, he's taxing his body to the point of collapse? bad bad bad.

As I said, seems to be more than "giving it all he's got." He obviously is going beyond what his physiological limitations are. Who knows, maybe the next overexertion is going to be his last? It wont take much to put him into tach/fib if his system isnt up to the task.

What exactly is causing his collapses?

Simply overexerting himself. His system just cant keep up with all the demands he's putting on it. Even though he is very strong, I dont think Strongman is his game. He would be a great powerlifter, even at his height. He has done well since he was a kid and still holds a teen record with NAS. Though no matter how much you love it, it isnt worth dying for.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 09:59:39 PM »
Simply overexerting himself. His system just cant keep up with all the demands he's putting on it. Even though he is very strong, I dont think Strongman is his game. He would be a great powerlifter, even at his height. He has done well since he was a kid and still holds a teen record with NAS. Though no matter how much you love it, it isnt worth dying for.

exactly. he's accomplished a lot, but honestly if he dies in the middle of a PL or WSM competition, i'm not going to feel bad. it's one thing if it's marunde who just went down suddenly, but to have a reputation for collapsing during events and not to scale it back is just Plain Fucking Stupid.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 02:21:01 AM »
exactly. he's accomplished a lot, but honestly if he dies in the middle of a PL or WSM competition, i'm not going to feel bad. it's one thing if it's marunde who just went down suddenly, but to have a reputation for collapsing during events and not to scale it back is just Plain Fucking Stupid.

Have to say I totally agree. I admire his determination and all, but at some point you need to have the sense to rein it in

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 02:24:48 AM »

Strongman do bench, see for example Magnus Samuelson training... Benching and squatting!
S

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 06:34:41 AM »
&feature=related

read the description of this video.....
bad bicep injury

and is sweating like a beast at night time outside in the car park.