Author Topic: Attention American Getbigers: How many of you are jingoist?  (Read 3075 times)

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
A part from Moosejay,Who are the jingoist here?
Please let me know.

Moosejay

Re: Attention American Getbigers: How many of you are jingoist?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:09:13 AM »
Likely not many, Ky, but some are but they don't know it

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:11:08 AM »
Likely not many, Ky, but some are but they don't know it
You are right. Just i wanted to know how many are concious of theirselves.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 07:11:24 AM »
what does that mean? Gay?

yeah moose fits that description, haha j/k

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 07:13:24 AM »

Dont start hating and meth this thread. I am serious about this theme.

Moosejay

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 07:27:22 AM »

No, youandme.

I have always liked your avatar, actually.

And you can look it up...eductae yourself and help strengthen America (A semi-jingoistic statement-hint)

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:02:03 AM »
eductae yourself and help strengthen America (A semi-jingoistic statement-hint)
Awesome very nice!!

Count me as one  ;D

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 08:04:02 AM »

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 08:30:14 AM »
While I believe that many people use patriotism to compensate themselves for their own shortcomings, the many haters out there who are always bashing America are doing the exact same thing.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 08:32:09 AM »

It's only the socially maladjusted who are proud of being jingoists.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 08:34:22 AM »
It's only the socially maladjusted who are proud of being jingoists.
Intersting opinion.
Can you explain bit more details why you think so?

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 08:54:11 AM »
The crowd who has the whole "my country is better than yours" attitude in a manner resembling the way one might root for a home sports team, who will blindly support any policy of our government even if wrong, or who assumes everyone outside of America is living in some mud hut without knowing anything about the country in question is ignorant.

However, legitimate criticism, even harsh criticism, of another culture if you actually know something about that culture, or support of American government policies that you have thought through and agree with is not jingoism.
Ron: "I am lazy."

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 09:06:17 AM »
Intersting opinion.
Can you explain bit more details why you think so?

Seems like it's mostly the "My life sucks, but my country is great" crowd that subscribe to such a philosophy.

Similar to the poor whites who rationalize their miserable existences with a "at least I'm white"

Moosejay

Moosejay

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »
Seems like it's mostly the "My life sucks, but my country is great" crowd that subscribe to such a philosophy.

Similar to the poor whites who rationalize their miserable existences with a "at least I'm white"

ANY action is better than sitting on the sidelines and complaining, and taking NO action.

It takes all kinds.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 09:20:10 AM »
I'm happy that America freed us from the germans in WWII.
+ : American order is far better than russian.
When the russians commanded the eastern part of Austria all hell broke loose... rape, murder, theft, fistfights... the Wodka-men are brutes.

Moosejay

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »
I'm happy that America freed us from the germans in WWII.
+ : American order is far better than russian.
When the russians commanded the eastern part of Austria all hell broke loose... rape, murder, theft, fistfights... the Wodka-men are brutes.

Most have it too good here in the US to appreciate this.

Talk to some WW 2 vets before they are all gone.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 09:32:13 AM »
The crowd who has the whole "my country is better than yours" attitude in a manner resembling the way one might root for a home sports team, who will blindly support any policy of our government even if wrong, or who assumes everyone outside of America is living in some mud hut without knowing anything about the country in question is ignorant.

However, legitimate criticism, even harsh criticism, of another culture if you actually know something about that culture, or support of American government policies that you have thought through and agree with is not jingoism.

Agreed.

Saying a particular country is "the best" is meaningless.  Best how?  Best standard of living?  Best economy?  Least crime?  It would be much more accurate if people would say, "I prefer to live in X."  In general, people's nationalist bent is inversely proportional to their educational and financial soundness.

Talking to a nationalist is like talking to a cult member.  Logic and reasoning play no part.  Their only goal in the conversation is to repeat the 'ol human dynamic of mine's-better-than-yours, which can be observed in all sorts of conversations: whose mechanic is the bigger rip off artist, whose doctor is more thorough, who had the worse flu, who is more unwilling to "stoop to that level," etc.  Most of their enjoyment comes from playing this game and hearing themselves talk.  Does this remind you of anyone on Getbig?

Moosejay

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 09:34:09 AM »
Agreed.

Saying a particular country is "the best" is meaningless.  Best how?  Best standard of living?  Best economy?  Least crime?  It would be much more accurate if people would say, "I prefer to live in X."  In general, people's nationalist bent is inversely proportional to their educational and financial soundness.

Talking to a nationalist is like talking to a cult member.  Logic and reasoning play no part.  Their only goal in the conversation is to repeat the 'ol human dynamic of mine's-better-than-yours, which can be observed in all sorts of conversations: whose mechanic is the bigger rip off artist, whose doctor is more thorough, who had the worse flu, who is more unwilling to "stoop to that level," etc.  Most of their enjoyment comes from playing this game and hearing themselves talk.  Does this remind you of anyone on Getbig?

Liberals....ho hum

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 09:36:58 AM »
Liberals....ho hum

Actually, I agree with everything Tapeworm said, and I'm far from Liberal.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 09:38:04 AM »
Liberals....ho hum

Translation: He's got me pegged.

I'm a-political as far as I'm able.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 09:42:33 AM »
I'm a ME-ist.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 09:51:32 AM »
Agreed.

Awesome post.  This Swedish American prefers living in both the States and Sweden, and hopefully other countries as well in the future.  The only thing I can think of that I really wouldn't want to do is live in just one country.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 10:10:06 AM »

Hmmm, that does not make any sense. May need to hit the psych books harder and look for the real menaing of ethnocentrism. And the miserable existence of life has nothing to do with color,,,that miserable existence is Thomas Hobbes The Leviathian, in which a man makes his own steps...but with his country behind him.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 10:17:44 AM »
Agreed.

What? It would be directly proportional, not inversely. The product of nationalism increases as other factors are increasing
This is the inverse you would be talking about n= e/f   
This is correct, directly proportional n = e * f