Author Topic: .  (Read 7762 times)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: How many people live near TAMPA, FLORIDA?
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 10:22:19 AM »

What resort is that pic taken from?  I suddenly want a vacation lol...
It's not a resort..just a condo ....vacation sounds good!
R

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2008, 08:07:49 AM »
Florida has 3 of nation's top 10 beaches, including No. 1
Associated Press

CALADESI ISLAND, Fla.

Kaylee Sturm sat in the low surf, the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico lapping around her.

The University of Tampa senior had never been to this barrier island north of Clearwater, but she and her mom were immediately impressed.

``I like that it's natural,'' Sturm said, adding that she preferred it to other Gulf Coast beaches. ``The water's just more beautiful here.''

It's an assessment that Stephen P. Leatherman would agree with. Leatherman, a Florida International University professor dubbed ``Dr. Beach,'' picked Caladesi Island as the best beach in the 2008 ranking for his annual list, which was released Thursday. Caladesi beat out beaches in Hawaii, along the Eastern Seaboard and in California for this year's honor.

The runners-up on Leatherman's list of best beaches this year were Hanalei Beach, Hawaii; Siesta Beach in Sarasota, Fla.; Coopers Beach in Southampton, N.Y.; Coronado Beach in San Diego; Main Beach in East Hampton, N.Y.; Hamoa Beach, Hawaii; Cape Hatteras, N.C.; Cape Florida State Park near Miami; and Beachwalker Park on Kiawah Island, S.C.

Caladesi's somewhat remote location factored into Leatherman's rankings _ and why Sturm and her mother, Cynde Jayden, were awed by it.

``It's an island getaway,'' said Leatherman, who has released his annual list since 1991. He noted that despite being in the densely populated Tampa Bay-area, many nearby residents have never visited Caladesi.

Most beachgoers reach the island by a 15-minute, $9 ferry ride. Visitors _ unless they bring their own boat _ are limited to four-hour stays at the beach, which is a state park.

While more remote than the tourist mainstays of Clearwater or Miami, Caladesi still boasts showers, restrooms, kayak and beach chair rentals, and a snack bar where burgers and beer are available. Caladesi's fine, white quartz sand beach owes its creation to a 1921 hurricane, which separated it from nearby Honeymoon Island. Caladesi became a state park in 1968.

The waves are generally low on Caladesi, which Leatherman said adds to its family friendly atmosphere. He uses 50 criteria _ including quality tests on water, sand and amenities _ to make his assessments.

``It's not just about going out and kicking sand,'' Leatherman said.

But for tourists it is.

Jayden, 52, spent a recent weekday trying to get a tan before returning to her home near Pittsburgh.

``I like that you can just see forever,'' she said. ``There's no world out there.''

Jake Wolf and Katie Pass, prospective dental school students from the Kansas City area, said they decided to spend part of their vacation at Caladesi because they figured it would be less crowded than other gulf beaches.

``The fact that you have to take a ferry is different, a little exciting,'' said Pass, 25.

Caladesi, which ranked second in Leatherman's rankings in 2007, will now be retired from the list.

Most years, he has chosen beaches in Florida or Hawaii as the top-ranked. He broke that trend last year by awarding the top spot to Ocracoke Island on North Carolina's Outer Banks.

Leatherman compiles his list as part of the National Healthy Beaches Campaign, and this year plans a television special featuring the nation's best beaches, he said.

Caladesi touts itself as ``the real Florida,'' which is on display on a nature trail that cuts through the center of island. Palmetto scrubs, palm and pine trees sprout from the sandy ground, osprey nests can be seen in the highest branches and lizards and other small animals dart through the leaves.

``It's really the idyllic environment,'' Leatherman said.

Stephen Leatherman's beach rankings: http://www.drbeach.org

Here are the winners going back to 1991 of Florida International University professor Stephen P. Leatherman's annual Best Beach award. Winners are retired from later lists.

2008 _ Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin, Fla.

2007 _ Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks, N.C.

2006 _ Fleming Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii

2005 _ Fort DeSoto Park _ North Beach, St. Petersburg, Fla.

2004 _ Hanauma Bay, Oahu, Hawaii

2003 _ Kaanapali, Maui, Hawaii

2002 _ St. Joseph Peninsula State Park, Port St. Joe, Fla.

2001 _ Poipu Beach Park, Kauai, Hawaii

2000 _ Mauna Kea Beach, Hawaii

1999 _ Wailea Beach, Maui, Hawaii

1998 _ Kailua Beach Park, Oahu Hawaii

1997 _ Hulopoe, Lanai, Hawaii

1996 _ Lanikai Beach, Oahu, Hawaii

1995 _ St. Andrews State Park, Panama City, Fla.

1994 _ Grayton Beach State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, Fla.

1993 _ Hapuna, Hawaii

1992 _ Bahia Honda, Big Pine Key, Fla.

1991 _ Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, Hawaii

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-522beaches,0,6006711.story

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2008, 08:13:53 AM »
San Diego gets one top 10 spot.....Coronado is a beautiful beach.

The runners-up on Leatherman's list of best beaches this year were Hanalei Beach, Hawaii; Siesta Beach in Sarasota, Fla.; Coopers Beach in Southampton, N.Y.; Coronado Beach in San Diego; Main Beach in East Hampton, N.Y.; Hamoa Beach, Hawaii; Cape Hatteras, N.C.; Cape Florida State Park near Miami; and Beachwalker Park on Kiawah Island, S.C.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2008, 11:19:47 AM »
San Diego gets one top 10 spot.....Coronado is a beautiful beach.

We were staying at the Del Coronado once and went to the main pool.  It was closed because of a baby ruth incident :-\
R

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2008, 11:21:07 AM »
I moved to Tampa for work, and am curious how many other getbiggers live in this area.  it seems like a lot of getbiggers live in florida. 
Lots of great gyms in the area and Clearwater Beach is awesome!
It is one of my fav places in FLA to visit.
Howard

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2008, 11:25:42 AM »
We were staying at the Del Coronado once and went to the main pool.  It was closed because of a baby ruth incident :-\

Hahahah...Caddyshack time!   ;D

fitt@40

• Getbig II
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »
Lots of great gyms in the area and Clearwater Beach is awesome!
It is one of my fav places in FLA to visit.
Howard

Can you recommend a gym near McDill AFB?  The 2008 Armed Forces bodybuilding and figure championship is going to be held in Tampa, FL.  I plan to compete and I'd like to spend my last couple of weeks in the area.

Thanks,
Fitt@40

MissLady

• Getbig I
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2008, 03:16:48 PM »
Maybe someone on this post may be able to help me ???

Hi everyone, I'm new to this blog which is really cool by the way. I was wondering if anyone here could help me with any recommendations on a good trainer for figure/fitness competition in the Tampa, Florida area. Just to give u a little history of me I use to be an athlete that was in tip top shape. Once I graduated college I contemplated competing in figure/fitness competition so that I could have a goal in order to keep myself in shape. Unfortunately I got seriously injured in not one but two car accidents on two different occasions. Now I’m seriously out of shape. The second time around was pretty bad I’m still doing therapy for it. But my doctor gave me the ok to start training again as long as I take it slow. I'm seriously looking for a good personal trainer that's great with nutritional diets for competitions who is able to work with overweight females. Someone that I could see in person and that is able to customize the nutritional plan specifically for my body type, needs and goals and that's able to make chances on my diet when is needed. I've already checkout a few places in Tampa. One of the place I check out is Tim gardeners place which was very nice by no means I’m knocking it but unfortunately is to expensive for my budget and I didn’t feel to comfy about the computerized diet plan so this one is mark off my list. I’m also not interested on online training. I feel that is a great tool if you already have a relationship with the trainer and have work with them one on one in the past but for right now I feel that my needs will be better met with personal one on one training. I was wondering if anyone knows of any one that they could recommend who's really good and is able to work one on one for fitness/figure coaching on overweight females in the Tampa/Clearwater/St.pete area. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2008, 04:51:40 PM »
I work in Tampa and live 30 minutes away in Holiday, Fl

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2008, 08:39:33 PM »
I work in Tampa and live 30 minutes away in Holiday, Fl

I live in new port richey hahaha

MissLady

• Getbig I
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2008, 11:24:13 AM »
Do u either one of u guys offered nutrition and personal training services?

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2008, 11:38:25 AM »
Lots of hot chicks down in Tampa

And Texas.  ;)

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2008, 11:41:35 AM »

NICOLE ACKER

• Getbig II
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2008, 11:49:08 AM »
Does anyone know of a chef or nutritionist that offers bodybuilders meals,or a restaurant that provides plain protein and carbs combos as takeaways, in the Tampa area? There are plenty of great gyms (and apparently great girls too! ;D) so someone must be able to help me?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2008, 12:38:12 PM »
there's a guy on here named Dave.  He goes by sqaudfather.

If there's one guy that knows about eating...it's definitely him

NICOLE ACKER

• Getbig II
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2008, 01:57:54 PM »

thanks for your help :)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2008, 01:58:58 PM »

ever gonna post proof of the 405 incline that you claim Mulatto Man?

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2008, 02:00:12 PM »
ever gonna post proof of the 405 incline that you claim Mulatto Man?

Haha did he claim that?  ::)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2008, 02:00:44 PM »
Haha did he claim that?  ::)
yep, he's half black too.