Author Topic: Need some advise  (Read 1642 times)

Mjohnson81

• Getbig II
  • прощать
Need some advise
« on: May 20, 2008, 02:39:58 PM »
I'm looking at doing a Strongman competition in September and I'm trying to come up with a training routine for the gym that will help me.  I know that there are three main areas that I need to work on in the routine, deadlift, squat and overhead lifts but I don't know if I've covered the bases that I need too.  Take a look at what I've come up with and let me know what you think.

Day 1 Back and Bi's
Deadlift: warm up 10-15 reps, 3-4x5 working sets
Bent Rows: 3x10
Lat pull downs: 3x10

BB curls: 4x10
Reverse Grip Curls: 4x10

Day 2 Legs/Calf's
Squats: warm up 10-15 reps, 3-4x5 working sets
Front Squats: 3x10
Leg Extension superset w/ Leg Curls 3x10 each

Standing calf Raises: 4x15-20

Day 3 Rest

Day 4 Shoulders
Military Press: warm up 10-15 reps, 3-4x5 working sets
Behind Neck Press: 3x10
Dumbell Raise: 3x10
Laterall Raise: 3-10

Day 5 Chest/Tri's
Bench Press: warm up 10-15 reps, 3-4x5 working sets
Incline Press: 3x10
Flat bench fly's: 3x10

French Press: 3x10
Tri Pressdown: 3x10

What do you guys think?  To much, to little?  What would you change if this was your workout?  Please feel free to say anything you want.

Thanks

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: Need some advise
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:46:24 PM »
What I have found with Strongman is that we are all very different in how we respond to the work. A lot of people will use a 5x5 type program as it covers full body each day. Some use Westside powerlifting routines customized to Strongman (this is most people actually).

One thing is for sure, you will need a strong base in powerlifting to succeed in Strongman. Then you will need to work on technique with the implements. Throughout both of these you will need to pay special attention to "core strength" and cardio.

Your workout looks fine to start with. I would personally not use flat bench much as there is no lift on that plane of motion in Strongman.

Here is what most use as a split:

Monday - Dynamic Lower/Max Upper
Wednesday - Dynamic Upper/Max Lower
Saturday - Event Training (Heavy, light, high reps or max depends on you and what you have coming up in a comp)

For me, that split doesnt work. Tons of other strongmen use it with great success though (Dan Harrison, Travis Ortmayer, Odd Haugen, Dave Ostlund....). If you need to know more about dynamic and max days then I suggest you got to the westside site and read the articles. Tons of good info there!

Mjohnson81

• Getbig II
  • прощать
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 06:55:42 PM »

After talking to some guys on the training board I chaged around the routine a bit.  I'll also be working with implements on saterdays.

Let me know what you think.

Day 1 Back/Shoulders
Deadlift: warm up 10-15 reps, 3-4x5 working sets
Bent Rows: 3x10
Lat pull downs: 3x10

Military Press: warm up 10-15 reps, 3-4x5 working sets
Clean and Jerks: 4x8
Laterall Raise: 3x10

Day 2 Chest/Calfs
Bench Press: warm up 10-15 reps, 3-4x5 working sets
Incline Press: 4x5
Flat bench fly's: 3x10
Pullovers: 3x10

Day 3 Rest

Day 4 Bi's/Tri's
Barbell Curls: 3x10
Reverse Grip Curls: 3x10

French Press: 3x10
Tri Pressdown: 3x10

Day 5 Legs
Squats: warm up 10-15 reps, 3-4x5 working sets
Front Squats: 3x10
Leg Extension superset w/ Leg Curls 3x10 each

I will also be working abs and every other day (including off days) and calfs on chest day and legs day.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 08:02:32 AM »
Back, shoulders, and chest in two consecutive days? Too much work.

Day 1 is full body. You will be busting your ass on day one so much that you will be paying for it the rest of the week.

Honestly, you would be better off using Max OT than using that "program."

I cannot stress enough that what you have written is going to bring you in reverse. Especially with Saturday event training as well.

Scrap the whole thing. Make a 4 day split that includes an implement training day. Keep max effort movements 48 hours apart.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 08:06:11 AM »
Take a look at this. Its a good place to start.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=179311.0

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 08:30:19 PM »
Take a look at this. Its a good place to start.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=179311.0

beat me to it.

Listen to lift.. he's mr strongman around here. I loved doing it but found powerlifting much more fun to me even though flipping that tire for some reason really got my rocks off. I felt like a dog chasing a ball over and over again. I just coudln't get enough of something so simple HAHA!

too much work like he's saying.. I'd have an upper and lower split like he's suggesting..but have two rest days off between the weights and 3 days off leading up to events.

work
two days off
work
three days off
events
two days off
work
two days off
work
three days off
events

the days will rotate..it's the rest periods you won't. I'd suggest saying screw it to days you want to work out on versus when to rest. Rest and recovery is key. Watch both whenyou're doing strongman. Strongman wore me out more than anything I've ever done. If your eating habits can't handle the work.. best find an awesome weight gainer like atlarge nutrition's maximus or something along the same lines to help keep you in the game. Trust me, it's going to come down to it eventually.