Author Topic: "There aint no bug on me"  (Read 5440 times)

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
"There aint no bug on me"
« on: May 22, 2008, 12:13:04 PM »

"There aint no bugs on me, there aint no bugs on me! there may be bugs on some of you mugs, but there aint no bugs on me!!"

anyone know what that catchy tune is from??

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: "There aint no bug on me"
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 12:26:18 PM »

poisons that they think a catchy cute song will make it ok to use on our companions  >:(

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 01:18:13 PM »
"There aint no bugs on me, there aint no bugs on me! there may be bugs on some of you mugs, but there aint no bugs on me!!"

I seem to recall a song from Disney's Pinnochio that goes, "There are no strings on me...". Then again I saw it 35 years ago. That little white dog with the blue scarf, in the commercial is kinda cute.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 02:33:44 PM »
  poisons that they think a catchy cute song will make it ok to use on our companions  >:(

oh sorry i had no idea..guess i should do some research.

really,how so?  how does it affect our loyal companions?  ???
just the gist would be fine

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 03:45:51 PM »
I am not a fan of these "preventatives".    If you read them they are very clear in there instructions to not get any on your skin, yet go ahead and put it on the cat or dog!

I just think they are pushed to much and people are led to believe they are 100% safe and you better use them or your dog will get fleas, heartworm or whatever.  I have never used any of those preventatives on my dogs.

I will not say they can't have their place or a purpose, but the public is sadly misinformed and uniformed on risks as well as other alternatives. 

The ad is cute though, which makes people further believe they should run right out and "protect" there pet.

I am the official "natural rearing" whackjob on this board if you haven't been on this board much.   ;D

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/documents/fleachemfin.pdf

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/pets/pets.pdf

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 04:26:39 PM »
Ok then, i have a question. do you give your dog an omega fat supplement? and if so what kind? my aunty has a dog that i see probably 5 times a week and she is adorale 13 years old though and she has sensetive skin, im thinking this will help with her overall health,,thanks.  :)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:35:46 AM »
Ok then, i have a question. do you give your dog an omega fat supplement? and if so what kind? my aunty has a dog that i see probably 5 times a week and she is adorale 13 years old though and she has sensetive skin, im thinking this will help with her overall health,,thanks.  :)

I give my dogs salmon oil daily.   You would want to use either fish oil (not cod liver!) or salmon oil for the skin, joints, immunity, overall it is great for a lot of conditions and the body overall.

You can give 1 capsule per every 10 or 20 pounds, that can be split up or given all at once.  I give my Danes it twice a day but they get lots of capsules daily!  I would stay away from flax oil especially if dealing with skin problems, it is plant based and some dogs are allergic to it.   The fish/salmon oil comes in capsules or liquid, I prefer the capsules, my dogs eat them like a treat, plus the liquid is a pain to pour over raw bones and not expect it to be all over.  But if she is feeding kibble she could use the liquid and put it on the dry food if the dog won't eat the capsules.
:P

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 09:41:50 AM »

I love that commercial!   ;D

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 06:44:40 PM »
I give my dogs salmon oil daily.   You would want to use either fish oil (not cod liver!) or salmon oil for the skin, joints, immunity, overall it is great for a lot of conditions and the body overall.

You can give 1 capsule per every 10 or 20 pounds, that can be split up or given all at once.  I give my Danes it twice a day but they get lots of capsules daily!  I would stay away from flax oil especially if dealing with skin problems, it is plant based and some dogs are allergic to it.   The fish/salmon oil comes in capsules or liquid, I prefer the capsules, my dogs eat them like a treat, plus the liquid is a pain to pour over raw bones and not expect it to be all over.  But if she is feeding kibble she could use the liquid and put it on the dry food if the dog won't eat the capsules.
can i use a salmon/fish from a health food store or does it have to be from a vet store? ive read that most just give the human supplement but what dosage? thanks very much for the help, very appreciated

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 10:47:51 PM »

I can't recall the exact details, but several years ago I learned flax oil was not very beneficial to dogs.   ???  Probably for the same reasons as humans.  They need the EPA & DHA which is derived directly from fish oil.  Flax oil requires a conversion in the body and dogs like humans probably don't convert well.  I could be wrong on the reasons.  It's just one of those things I locked in the back of my mind, "don't use flax".

can i use a salmon/fish from a health food store or does it have to be from a vet store? ive read that most just give the human supplement but what dosage? thanks very much for the help, very appreciated

Yes, absolutely.  They're usually 1000mg capsules and as ~flower said, 1 cap every 20 pounds.  I just snip the end off the cap and drizzle it over Scout's food.
:

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 08:57:33 PM »
thanks Princess! will do

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 06:44:27 AM »
I am not a fan of these "preventatives".    If you read them they are very clear in there instructions to not get any on your skin, yet go ahead and put it on the cat or dog!

I just think they are pushed to much and people are led to believe they are 100% safe and you better use them or your dog will get fleas, heartworm or whatever.  I have never used any of those preventatives on my dogs.

I will not say they can't have their place or a purpose, but the public is sadly misinformed and uniformed on risks as well as other alternatives. 

The ad is cute though, which makes people further believe they should run right out and "protect" there pet.

I am the official "natural rearing" whackjob on this board if you haven't been on this board much.   ;D

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/documents/fleachemfin.pdf

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/pets/pets.pdf

I use both frontline and interceptor, but you do have a point. I always thought the same thing.  I'll still prolly use it forever, but I do see what your saying.

We agreed.  Lets hug.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 06:37:59 PM »
I use both frontline and interceptor, but you do have a point. I always thought the same thing.  I'll still prolly use it forever, but I do see what your saying.

We agreed.  Lets hug.

Frontline is great for your pet its a form or arsenic! ::)
X

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 07:21:04 PM »
Frontline is great for your pet its a form or arsenic! ::)

How so?  Never heard that

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM »
it's from the commercial where the cute little white dog goes to summer camp. it's a tick and flea collar commercial!  :)

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 04:18:31 PM »
by the way, we used to use a flea collar on "bruno" for a long time. he was perfectly healthy, and it never harmed him. he died from my homicidal momma who put him to sleep because he couldn't hold his water anymore! tragic!  :'( but true!  :'(