Author Topic: Pa. Soldier Who Jumped on Grenade to Receive Posthumous Medal of Honor  (Read 8331 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Another American hero.

Pa. Soldier Who Jumped on Grenade to Receive Posthumous Medal of Honor
Friday, May 23, 2008

Pfc. Ross McGinnis of Knox, Pa., who died saving the lives of his comrades in Iraq, will be awarded the Medal of Honor June 2.
WASHINGTON —  The White House announced Friday that a Pennsylvania soldier who jumped on top of a grenade in Iraq and saved the lives of his comrades will posthumously receive the Medal of Honor.

The nation's highest military honor will be given to 19-year-old Army Pfc. Ross McGinnis of Knox, Pa., on June 2.

McGinnis "distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism," said White House deputy press secretary Tony Fratto.

McGinnis was perched in the gunner's hatch of a Humvee when a grenade sailed past him and into the truck where four other soldiers sat. He shouted a warning to the others, then jumped on the grenade. The grenade, which was lodged near the vehicle's radio, blew up and killed him.

Lt. Col. Anne Edgecomb, an Army spokeswoman, said McGinnis easily could have jumped out of the truck and saved himself.

"The instinct is, jump out of the vehicle, but his four buddies were in the vehicle with him ... and he chose to place himself on top of the grenade and absorb the impact, and it saved their lives," Edgecomb said.

McGinnis was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 26th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, in Schweinfurt, Germany.

He died on Dec. 4, 2006.

Three others have also been awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously for their actions in Iraq. They are Army Sgt. 1st Class Paul R. Smith, Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor and Marine Cpl. Jason L. Dunham.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,357671,00.html

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Rest in peace....good job Beach
L

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
he jumped on a grenade for Bush, Cheney and McCain ?

RIP dope !

NT

Don't question, just do.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
RIP, fuck he was a young kid, 19..fucken 19 :'(

brave boy to save his mate's lives but fuck...19yrs old

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.

RIP dope !

NT

And yet, cowards like you live on.

Sad world.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.

I'm sure he's very excited about this honor.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
I'm sure he's very excited about this honor.
theres no honour..his dead.."he died a brave man" thats straight bullshit..the reality is his dead. sugar coating does not make it better.

again Im not brave enough to go to battle and be on the frontline, im just sad for the kid's family, 19 is a child when you think of it;

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
i dont mean to offend anyone here that has family member's die in the Iraq..

those kids are brave to do what they do, i personally hope they come back sooner then later, THe Iraq war sucks

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?

RIP dope !
NT

I served forward deployed in several theaters  including Desert Storm and we (Servicemen/women give a pound of flesh daily so you can talk shit freely, go fuck yourself commie bastard!

Hate punk asses like you!
W

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
I served forward deployed in several theaters  including Desert Storm and we (Servicemen/women give a pound of flesh daily so you can talk shit freely, go fuck yourself commie bastard!

Hate punk asses like you!

So Saddam's invasion of Kuwait was actually just the first step in his nefarious plan to repeal the First Amendment?

Jesus Christ, do people think before they post any more?

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
So Saddam's invasion of Kuwait was actually just the first step in his nefarious plan to repeal the First Amendment?

Jesus Christ, do people think before they post any more?

the guy is making light of this kid giving his life what are you talking about!!!!!!!!!!
W

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
we (Servicemen/women give a pound of flesh daily so you can talk shit freely

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
the guy is making light of this kid giving his life what are you talking about!!!!!!!!!!
i would of preferred if he wasnt there at all.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Some of you are fools. I get being against the war and so on but it's sad that a gaggle of nerds would piss on the grave of a man who was willing to die for his friends from behind their keyboards

Sadly, no logical explanation would even be useful since some of you can't see what kind of man he must have been to trade his own life for that of his friends.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
Some of you are fools. I get being against the war and so on but it's sad that a gaggle of nerds would piss on the grave of a man who was willing to die for his friends from behind their keyboards

Sadly, no logical explanation would even be useful since some of you can't see what kind of man he must have been to trade his own life for that of his friends.

when i was 19, i did a lot of stupid things to

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
i would of preferred if he wasnt there at all.

I agree but if called to serve I serve my country!

Can't stand these spoon-fed sissies who talk shit about soldiers! The soldeirs are just doing their job. Punk ass subversives stay home and talk shit, pick up a weapon or shut the fuck up!!
W

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
when i was 19, i did a lot of stupid things to

jake is being a bitch on this board because he feels his "superior" intellect goes unrecognized here.

Nobody wants to see dead 19 year olds and all the medals on the planet are not going to make the situation one iota better.

And the reason this shit was posted was to act as if he died for some noble cause.

There is no noble cause here.  Just a kid who did the right thing in the pursuit of a wrong end.  He could have chosen to not pursue that wrong end, but unfortunately did not make it.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.

Can't stand these spoon-fed sissies who talk shit about soldiers! The soldeirs are just doing their job. Punk ass subversives stay home and talk shit, pick up a weapon or shut the fuck up!!

Quit being a cry-baby.  Sentimentality is for women and children.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V

to die for this war is horrible, but i dont believe its a just war..lot of dead bodies for a bullshit cause..

thats my opinion, but i never hear them talking bout the soldiers anymore, these kids that put there life on the line every fucken second should be headlining not on pg 21..

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
Damn I wish the involuntary draft was in effect.
W

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
Quit being a cry-baby.  Sentimentality is for women and children.

That's right hide behind your keyboard pussy!
W

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
Damn I wish the involuntary draft was in effect.

As opposed to the voluntary draft? ::)

Stick to flirting on the women's board, stud.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
That's right hide behind your keyboard pussy!

::)

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
jake is being a bitch on this board because he feels his "superior" intellect goes unrecognized here.

Nobody wants to see dead 19 year olds and all the medals on the planet are not going to make the situation one iota better.

And the reason this shit was posted was to act as if he died for some noble cause.

There is no noble cause here.  Just a kid who did the right thing in the pursuit of a wrong end.  He could have chosen to not pursue that wrong end, but unfortunately did not make it.

the fact is the KID is dead, that medal is not going to do a motherfucken thing! anyhow how many U.S soldiers have died in the Iraq war??

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
As opposed to the voluntary draft? ::)

Stick to flirting on the women's board, stud.

Ever heard of selective service? when you send the form in its a voluntary draft!

Anyway meat curtain alot of these kids joined because of 911 they made the choice just like I did years ago but liek Dr says don't piss on their grave for doing their duty.
W