Author Topic: Is the behind the neck press dangerous?  (Read 5062 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Is the behind the neck press dangerous?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 03:32:16 PM »
i watch mariusz  all the time. i let him guide me as we're very much alike when it comes to genetics, experience, strength, steroids etc

Are you admitting to using steroids?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 03:34:54 PM »
i watch mariusz  all the time. i let him guide me as we're very much alike

rumor has it that mariusz hits from the other side of the plate these days

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 04:09:18 PM »
Are you admitting to using steroids?

im using irony to illustrate the stupidity of naming the worlds strongest man in this discussion as it teaches us nothing unless we too are the worlds strongest man.

and no i never used steroids, i dont even use creatine because it's a drag mixing that shit. i had some jaegerbombs this weekend though.
Z

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »
of course weightlifting isnt safe... but doing presses 1st when your fresh and strong is asking for trouble, there realy isnt any need... it takes u to propperly fuck your self before u see the light....... actualy where all trainings concerend, should all be nice slow, good form, big squeezes, thats real bodybuilding...not loading the bar up and squeeling whilest u do bouncy half reps

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »
of course weightlifting isnt safe... but doing presses 1st when your fresh and strong is asking for trouble, there realy isnt any need...

if you want to get better at pressing, then yes there is a need.

it takes u to propperly fuck your self before u see the light....... actualy where all trainings concerend, should all be nice slow, good form, big squeezes, thats real bodybuilding...not loading the bar up and squeeling whilest u do bouncy half reps

yeah you enjoy that. and enjoy being little and weak while you're at it. meanwhile i'll be over here, improving.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 03:18:48 PM »
well im 6ft at 245, with a visible 6 pack and some nice chunky veins,, so im hardly a little weakling as u suggest....... ive been there and done it, and i can honestly say u dont need to chase huge weights to get the most out of your training....

how long do you think you can throw big weights about before u get fucked, how big will you be when your injured for 6 months of every year?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 03:37:36 PM »

Ya sometimes neat n tidy ain't cuttin it if you want to push the envelope. You have to go further, but not f*** things up either, find somewhere in between that helps but doesn't cause problems.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 05:02:59 PM »
Blew my left rotator out 2 years ago doing them. Hasn't come back. Unlike other joints, the shoulders are a very poorly 'constructed' and BNPs places them in a very mechanically disadvantageous position. Be careful. Having said that, they can be a great exercise for some. I would advise not going too low on them - ie. stop at the ears, not at the shoulders/traps. Better yet, do a form of pressing to the front.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 02:16:41 AM »
While we're on this subject

How about alternating front and back in same set?. In doing 10 reps - 1 to the front and one to the back etc until you complete the set - moderate weights

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 05:02:24 AM »

How about alternating front and back in same set?. In doing 10 reps - 1 to the front and one to the back etc until you complete the set - moderate weights

sure. as long as your weights are progressing, and your not using the same weights month after month.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 02:15:23 PM »
or you could use the same weights month after month, as most pros do.
and alter time under tension, no of reps, no of sets, resting periods etc etc etc
Z

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 04:30:02 PM »

or you could use the same weights month after month, as most pros do.
and alter time under tension, no of reps, no of sets, resting periods etc etc etc

wont work in the long run unless your using drugs and even then your limiting growth if your not adding weight to the bar.

but we already know its your excuse to be a pussy.

pros grow by uping the dosage.

hope this helps

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2008, 04:32:09 PM »

i've never met anyone who's as strong to the back as they are to the front, so if you really really want to go that route i'd say pick a goal of 10 reps, do as many to the back as you can, then finish the 10 to the front. keep going until you can hit all 10 behind, and then go up in weight and start again.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2008, 07:38:48 PM »
Dreadlord is doing the Bradford press, even if he does not know it.  Press from the front and lowered to the back and vice versa. Best to use a moderate weight as he does. That grip position can be a killer for some, so you might take care if attempting it. It would not be my first choice as an exercise to do for the delts. One of the better shoulder combo, that works for me anyway, is the PBN and Up-Right rows SS'ed. Or front press and Up-right rows SS'ed. And of course the front and PBN press SS'ed, but not in the Bradfore style.

I just about use the same weight in the front and behind the neck press from a power rack (though Mcgoo and I have never met). With the front version being a little more heavy. (we have a few guy pushing 275-300+ off the rack for the PBN...just the way it is) Trouble is most guy's seem to have a man crush on bench pressing and negelect any overhead pressing action. Too bad, their loss.

Might what to have overhead pressing the first thing in a shoulder workout, if wanting serious shoulder girdler mass. Leave the extensions movements for later (if you must do them at all), unless you are doing pre-exhaust workouts. My first selection would be overhead pressing anytime over doing flat benches. Inclines(depending on the angle) can be a different matter all together.

Some of the Russian and other eastern block Olympic lifters have been knows to jerk heavy overhead from behind the neck in training. As the good Dr Chimps suggest, the PBN is not for everyone. But for those who are constructed for it, it will strengthen the whole shoulder girdle when common sense is used. Good luck.

Side Bar: From what I have seen on a personal level (from working with BB'ers & lifters) I might suggest that bench pressing may have blown out more shoulder than overhead presses every have.  DB benches seem to be more user friendly than a straight bar. Over use and abuse of BP's may lead to nagging and long time injuries. Just a observation and some experience gather my myself over a few years ...nothing written in stone.
F

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 01:17:55 AM »
I use all three. I've never had any problems with BNP because I load it up with enough weight to reach 8-10 reps comfortably. I use the "bradford press" (thanks jpm) rarely and always with moderate weights and caution so I don't screw up my shoulders down the road. Warm up well so your shoulders are flexible and arent stiff.

Overall, I prefer the front overhead press because i can use heavy poundages on it. Every once in awhile I'll do front presses (2 sets) + BNP (2 sets) and wrap it up with a bradford press (1 set). Poundages will vary once i switch from one press to another.

I'm sure opinions will vary but I've gotten good results from mixing it up occasionally

Mega Man

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 02:37:53 AM »
It has to do with your form.....

I see people lower the bar as low as they can, and lock out at the top as high as possible.....cause they think this is works the muscle better ???

You should only lower the bar so your arms are paralell with the floor and you can draw a straight line under your arms. That's why I do them on a smith machine in front of a mirror. so I can see How low I go in the mirror. Also I don't go all the way up and lock out at the top. I just go High enough to where it feels natural and safe.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 02:47:17 AM »

I learnt via the hard way about not locking out on top with heavy weights(BNP) during my early years of weight training.

On my second set it felt like i uprooted all the nerves in my lower back.  At the time it didnt feel too bad so i foolishly did ANOTHER set. I really paid a heavy price for that the next morning and for the next few months. That was a good learning experience for me to leave my ego at the door.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2008, 03:16:12 AM »

wont work in the long run unless your using drugs and even then your limiting growth if your not adding weight to the bar.

but we already know its your excuse to be a pussy.

pros grow by uping the dosage.

hope this helps

so you're saying ronnie coleman is limiting his growth because he doesnt add fractional plates to the legpress from one week to the other?  ::)

Z

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2008, 05:45:16 AM »
so you're saying ronnie coleman is limiting his growth because he doesnt add fractional plates to the legpress from one week to the other?  ::)

your the perfect candidate for bible studies.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 07:43:14 AM »
If anyone has a problem with too much stress on the lower back when overhead pressing, you might consider this. Bend the knees slightly and place one foot ahead of the other about 6 to 9 inches (or whatever you may need) like Olympic lifters do. If the back is still a problem than have a little wider grip on the bar, with that one foot ahead of the other. If you tend to have too much of a backbend, when pressing, than you are using too much weight on the bar.

No need to lockout overhead or lower the bar beyond the upper trap/neck area for the PBN. Same with not locking out with front presses. As mentioned before, a lot of very big BB'ers will only press in the middle range of the lift and at a very rapid rate. (this goes for benches and most every other exercise they do) Never a hint of a lockout or to touch any part of the traps/neck area. The TUT thing again. If your into strongman training, power rack or Olympic lifting, than that would not be the case.

Try not to forget DB overhead presses in any serious delt training program. Insure that each side of the body is balanced in way of muscle size and strength, as best as it can be. DB's can also give a better focus of the shoulders themselves. Good Luck.
F