Author Topic: question for jpm  (Read 870 times)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
question for jpm
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:24:33 PM »
how would you set up a bodybuilding routine (main focus on adding mass)?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: question for jpm
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:51:54 PM »
With K.I.S.S. in mind. Actually always in mind, I might suggest 3 to 4 sets of 6 to 9 reps of each exercise. Something  for the upper body like a front press, dips-weighted, BB row (curl grip), upright row. And lower body like BB Hack squats, Step-ups and GoodMornings. Either do this in one total body workout or split it up if time or recovery is a problem.. Something like on Mon- upper body. Wed-lower body. Fri-upper body again. The next Mon start with lower body, Wed-upper body and Fri- lower body again. Alternate each week.  Feel free to throw in a couple sets of bicep/tricep if you wish, though really not need if a heavy program is followed. Same with abs. Notice I am not suggesting the usual squat, bench and such. Time to try a new approach to serious training.

Power rack training which will include partial movement (usually pins in the 3 position start) by all means. Heavy Benches, rack presses, Hi-pulls/power cleans & DL/shrugs, etc. All the Big Boy growth movements. Again, feel free to split this up to lower/upper body workouts. This type of training can be very demanding. And the amount of weight you will be handling can amaze anyone after a while. Reps anywhere from 3 to 20. Not a typo, 20 reps on those short range lockouts. Two main ways to do this style program. Each rep is started from a dead stop or keeping TUT without any complete ROM, no lockout and no true start position.. Try each version for awhile to see which suits your needs.

GVT, the true version. Same weight all 10 sets and all 10 reps. That is 100 reps total, not 89, 93 or what ever you may think is right. 90 to 120 seconds between sets. Attacking those motor units with those 100 reps can increase strength and muscle size greatly.

5X5's, the old faithful when wanting mass and strength and in somewhat of a hurry. Basic squat, BB row and Bench. Though most any compound exercise can be exchanged on this style program. Actually just doing DL's and jerk presses off a power rack can produce excellent results. But most people think they need benches, squats or rows for such muscle mass. Not always true.

20 rep progressive breathing (3 to 8 breaths) squats. An advanced version of the rest/pause program. Just add the bench or dip and BB rows to the program. And of course a set of straight arm pullovers right after the 20 rep squat. Many a football player who had to gain muscular weight for the game increase 15 to 25 lbs in a 90 day period. Some even sooner that that. I know I did when doing this  squat program at 16 years old. This can work well with DL's and power cleans also.  The whole point being to add a little weight each workout on the squat bar. Can be as light as 1 1/4 plates each side.

Lot of other tweaks to add to most of these above programs, but that's enough for me right now. Good Luck.

F