Author Topic: Ask Disgusted.....Q&A thread  (Read 98191 times)

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
Re: Ask Disgusted.....Q&A thread
« Reply #275 on: July 08, 2008, 02:09:39 PM »
Question for both Jim and Milos:

We know that insulin use, injections after a workout gives you high amounts of insulin and that makes bodybuilders grow alot.

1. If one person does not take insulin but has a pwo shake with high simple sugar carbs, like 80g dextrose. Would that spike insulin levels and have similar effects of slin injections? (obviously not as powerful though)

a) Do you think that exogenous insulin use can cause a bigger midsection?
b) If so, do you think spiking your own insulin can cause it too?
tank u jesus

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #276 on: July 08, 2008, 08:15:20 PM »
Jim,

I was reading "Why animals do not have heart attacks...and people do!" and i found it to be a very interesting book.

I haven't read EVERY page word for word but I've skimmed through the entire thing more or less.

Questions.

1. What is the best form of Vit C in your opinion? Apples, oranges...etc.

2. How often should they be eaten and WHEN? Morning, post WO?...etc.

3. Should the Vitamins/minerals be taken with or without food?

Thank you for the book recommendations, i am now reading protein power.

8)

Doesn't matter where you get your C as far as food intake goes but you will not be able to get the amount that I personally think that you will need just from food.

Vit C has a short half life so I take mine twice per day. 4 grams morning and night.

I like to take them with food. you need to build up the dose of Vit C gradually. Too much too quick may cause some diarrhea.

Both those books are awesome books. Glad you like them. Read them both more than once. You will learn something different each time you read them.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #277 on: July 08, 2008, 08:27:31 PM »
Question for both Jim and Milos:

We know that insulin use, injections after a workout gives you high amounts of insulin and that makes bodybuilders grow alot.

1. If one person does not take insulin but has a pwo shake with high simple sugar carbs, like 80g dextrose. Would that spike insulin levels and have similar effects of slin injections? (obviously not as powerful though)

a) Do you think that exogenous insulin use can cause a bigger midsection?
b) If so, do you think spiking your own insulin can cause it too?

Question 1 No, the fat storing effects are stronger than the anabolic effects. You MIGHT be able to get a better anabolic effect and a lower fat storing effect by lowering your carb intake but I personally don;t think it all that effective.

Question 2 yes!!!

Question 3 Yes!!!!

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #278 on: July 09, 2008, 07:28:09 PM »
Doesn't matter where you get your C as far as food intake goes but you will not be able to get the amount that I personally think that you will need just from food.

Vit C has a short half life so I take mine twice per day. 4 grams morning and night.

I like to take them with food. you need to build up the dose of Vit C gradually. Too much too quick may cause some diarrhea.

Both those books are awesome books. Glad you like them. Read them both more than once. You will learn something different each time you read them.

Hey jim what brand do you use for your vit c? What other vitamins do you take?

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #279 on: July 09, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »
Yo Disgustarino!

What are your thoughts on zinc and magnesium supplementation. Ive always argued that they are two of the most important minerals for bodybuilders to take (since most hard training athletes are deficient in both) . What do u think?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #280 on: July 09, 2008, 09:11:09 PM »
Yo Disgustarino!

What are your thoughts on zinc and magnesium supplementation. Ive always argued that they are two of the most important minerals for bodybuilders to take (since most hard training athletes are deficient in both) . What do u think?

zinc from a multi and a good cal mag D supplelemt is good enough.

DIALEDIN

• Getbig II
« Reply #281 on: July 10, 2008, 11:16:50 AM »
Very true, i was wrong to assume that. But i would only hope that you would be able to put on more muscle if your putting on 70lbs in an offseason like LunchTrey did :)

So what your telling me is that its better to stay lean in the offseason while gaining size so you dont have to diet your ass off and suffer to diet down for a contest?

Why dont you go back to the Opinions section with your wise ass comments about Trey - this area is for "Positive" posts.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #282 on: July 10, 2008, 12:00:49 PM »
Why dont you go back to the Opinions section with your wise ass comments about Trey - this area is for "Positive" posts.

Hi Trey!   :D

Disgusted, I have a question.  I am prepping for the North Americans, and I am about seven weeks out right now.  I'm weighing about 128 pounds, trying to make the LWs at 115.  Typically, I do morning cardio on an empty stomach, then I eat breakfast, work all day, do a second cardio session as soon as work is done, have a protein shake or small meal, and go to the gym at night to lift about 5 times a week.  Then I have another small meal after weight training.

I'm struggling with recovery and fatigue, and I have just loaded up on pretty much the only supplements that I think are worth taking - glutamine and BCAAs.  How much would you recommend I take, how often, and when should I take them?  The glutamine is in powder form, and the BCAAs are caps.

:)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #283 on: July 10, 2008, 12:10:37 PM »

Disgusted, I have a question.  I am prepping for the North Americans, and I am about seven weeks out right now.  I'm weighing about 128 pounds, trying to make the LWs at 115.  Typically, I do morning cardio on an empty stomach, then I eat breakfast, work all day, do a second cardio session as soon as work is done, have a protein shake or small meal, and go to the gym at night to lift about 5 times a week.  Then I have another small meal after weight training.

I'm struggling with recovery and fatigue, and I have just loaded up on pretty much the only supplements that I think are worth taking - glutamine and BCAAs.  How much would you recommend I take, how often, and when should I take them?  The glutamine is in powder form, and the BCAAs are caps.

BE careful of your BCAA timining.  I learned the hard way that taking BCAAs before bed can actually affect your sleep.  I quit and now sleep a lot better.  As for recovery and fatigue, NAP.  Seriously.  you sound like you're on the go from the minute you wake up until bed time.  Find time to take an hour nap midday.  It'll get you through the afternoon a lot better.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #284 on: July 10, 2008, 12:22:11 PM »
BE careful of your BCAA timining.  I learned the hard way that taking BCAAs before bed can actually affect your sleep.  I quit and now sleep a lot better.  As for recovery and fatigue, NAP.  Seriously.  you sound like you're on the go from the minute you wake up until bed time.  Find time to take an hour nap midday.  It'll get you through the afternoon a lot better.

Interesting... that's why I am wondering when and how often I should take the BCAAs.  I didn't mention that I do also take ZMA before bed, along with Palumbo's fat burner, which has melatonin in it.  I also won't hesitate to take a xanax before bed if I feel like I can't sleep because it's so critical that I actually do sleep for the 6-7 hours that I am able to get some rest.

Napping is a total luxury, and I am jealous of anyone who can afford the time to do it.   :P

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #285 on: July 10, 2008, 12:24:15 PM »

Interesting... that's why I am wondering when and how often I should take the BCAAs.  I didn't mention that I do also take ZMA before bed, along with Palumbo's fat burner, which has melatonin in it.  I also won't hesitate to take a xanax before bed if I feel like I can't sleep because it's so critical that I actually do sleep for the 6-7 hours that I am able to get some rest.

Napping is a total luxury, and I am jealous of anyone who can afford the time to do it.   :P

i know a few guys who are at the top of the posrt who take bcaa's before bed , doesnt effect their sleep...

but then again, these guys normally do so with a couple hitz from the bong and some melatonin and a high carb junk food meal as well  ;D

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #286 on: July 10, 2008, 12:49:51 PM »

Are yout alking about somalyze species stuff?  How'd find it?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: July 10, 2008, 12:59:15 PM »
Are yout alking about somalyze species stuff?  How'd find it?

Yes, Somalyze at night and Lipolyze during the day.  I've been on it for several weeks now. 
I find that it definitely works, but it dries me out something fierce, so I only take 2/3 the recommended dosage for both the day and the night formulas.  I am thirsty all the time and peeing all the time, so I sometimes wonder about the potential impact on my kidneys, but I don't plan on staying on it for much longer.  I may phase it out over the next 2-3 weeks and replace it with something else before the show.  I also had some stomach problems at first, but my system seems to have adjusted to it now. 

ajcuts015

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #288 on: July 10, 2008, 03:59:59 PM »
Disgusted great to have you with this Q&A section !! What do you feel are the best carbs to carb up on leading into a show say if your following the 3 day deplete 3 day load protocol . If I dieted down on Oatmeal , Sweet Potatoes , Red Potatoes , and Brown Rice cakes would it be smart to use those or go with a quicker acting source such as white rice or white rice cakes , banana's , natural jelly , honey etc and even waxy maize possibly the first two days to fill out better or do you feel since your body's not used to those carbs it might backfire ?   What do you feel is the most effective way to carb up and really dry up the last week not using insulin by the way not asking for a complete layout just as far as what are the best carbs in your opinon ? Thanks in advance for any response !

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #289 on: July 10, 2008, 07:02:53 PM »

Yea ill use my MOD key to delete my own post.  ::)

And there is nothing wrong with what i wrote, its the truth, the guy put on 70-80lbs in the year he took off then competed again one and a half years later fifteen pounds lighter. Its the truth! And the truth shall set you free  ;D

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #290 on: July 10, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »

Hi Trey!   :D

Just IMHO Lori, and ill let jim answer this. But I think, that if you did the same schedule but just did your cardio after you lifted instead of doing cardio, then eating, then lifting. You wouldnt be so tired. Your physically exerting yourself three times a day, and on restricted calories. This might be why your so tired.

And with the bcaa's Id take 5 grams before training, 10 grams during training, and 5 grams after. But ill let Jim answer this  ;D

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #291 on: July 10, 2008, 08:49:33 PM »

I don't think that any of this is a factor as far as how you feel. I would need more info to determine why you feel that way you do. Most likely it is the overall workload that you are following on a daily basis. I would try for an extra 1/2 hour to an hour sleep per night and see how you feel.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #292 on: July 10, 2008, 08:56:14 PM »
Disgusted great to have you with this Q&A section !! What do you feel are the best carbs to carb up on leading into a show say if your following the 3 day deplete 3 day load protocol . If I dieted down on Oatmeal , Sweet Potatoes , Red Potatoes , and Brown Rice cakes would it be smart to use those or go with a quicker acting source such as white rice or white rice cakes , banana's , natural jelly , honey etc and even waxy maize possibly the first two days to fill out better or do you feel since your body's not used to those carbs it might backfire ?   What do you feel is the most effective way to carb up and really dry up the last week not using insulin by the way not asking for a complete layout just as far as what are the best carbs in your opinon ? Thanks in advance for any response !

I get this question all the time and to be honest IF you are lean enough the best thing to do is pretty much stay on the protocol that got you that way. Too many guys fuck things up at the last minute. Happens all the time, you see a guy looking awesome one week out and then looks flat as a pancake the day of the show. Forget all this carbing up bs and stick to what you know your body reacts to in a positive.

Now, without knowing exactly what you are doing you may just be able to "slighty" increase your carbs say the last couple of days before the show, but be careful and stick the the carbs you react to well. Also, DO NOT cut your water until just a few hours before the show. Also you need to take into account that you are not doing any cardio the last couple of days before a show soooooo sticking to the same amounts of carbs is the same as carbing up too since you are expending less energy since most guys just lay around in their hotel room the last days. See what I mean about not being able to tell you exactly what to do?  ;D Are you even more confused now?   I am.  >:(

TooPowerful4u

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #293 on: July 10, 2008, 11:04:45 PM »

Ill throw in some pix from when Disgusted helped me little over 3yrs ago.  He didnt prep me with my diet (i didnt come in lean enough and was kinda small as i made myself lose muscle to make light heavies)....but he saw me asking questions 4 days out and helped me dry out.....didnt do too bad a job eh?

TooPowerful4u

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #294 on: July 10, 2008, 11:05:29 PM »
I was spilling at this point as it was 1am in the morning after the show....i was DRIER

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #295 on: July 10, 2008, 11:31:42 PM »
u got any pix of what u looked like before jim helped u out?

TooPowerful4u

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #296 on: July 11, 2008, 01:28:02 AM »
u got any pix of what u looked like before jim helped u out?

Like i said, he didnt do my diet.  Just helped me fill out and dry out.  Honestly, if he did my diet i probably would have been leaner!  I still had some fat in my lower back and ham/glute tie-in.  As you can see, im as dry and hard as i could be at that bodyfat%....just needed to be bigger and leaner.  It was the Atlantic States.... i had 22 guys in my weight class alone and i took 3rd (winner of my class almost took overall to a freak HWT).  The guy who took 2nd in my class took i think 5th in Nationals last year. 

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #297 on: July 11, 2008, 07:48:50 AM »
LOL OK well OF COURSE the easiest solution would be to add more time in the day and sleep another 30 mins or hour every night, but that's not going to happen! 

This is my fourth year of contest prep, so I pretty much have my schedule set as good as I can, given everything else going on in my life.  My husband races motorcycles and needs all of the daylight hours in the summertime, so we end up going to the gym in the later part of the evening, and I have no choice but to get my cardio done earlier or else I would be up doing cardio at 11 o'clock every night.  It's either do it this way or don't do contest prep at all.  :)

So having said that, when do you think would be the best time to take glutamine and BCAAs, and how much?  Or do you think I just wasted my money on these supps?

Thanks. :)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #298 on: July 11, 2008, 09:50:33 AM »
LOL OK well OF COURSE the easiest solution would be to add more time in the day and sleep another 30 mins or hour every night, but that's not going to happen! 

This is my fourth year of contest prep, so I pretty much have my schedule set as good as I can, given everything else going on in my life.  My husband races motorcycles and needs all of the daylight hours in the summertime, so we end up going to the gym in the later part of the evening, and I have no choice but to get my cardio done earlier or else I would be up doing cardio at 11 o'clock every night.  It's either do it this way or don't do contest prep at all.  :)

So having said that, when do you think would be the best time to take glutamine and BCAAs, and how much?  Or do you think I just wasted my money on these supps?

Thanks. :)

I don't think that you are wasting your money, but I really don't think that it matters when you take it. With that being said I would recommend you take for your weight 5 grams of glutamine and for the BC go 500 mgs 2 to 3 times daily.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #299 on: July 11, 2008, 10:04:59 AM »
I don't think that you are wasting your money, but I really don't think that it matters when you take it. With that being said I would recommend you take for your weight 5 grams of glutamine and for the BC go 500 mgs 2 to 3 times daily.

Awesome, thanks! 

This is a great thread... thanks for taking the time.  :)