Author Topic: Anyone watch Kimbo fight?!  (Read 9359 times)

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Re: Anyone watch Kimbo fight?!
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2008, 03:27:53 PM »
What a utter sham.  Anybody who is a die hard Kimbo fan should be banned from watching MMA.  Thompson is a can and Kimbo had a really hard time with him.   Kimbo attracts the drunk frat boy fans w ho know absolutely nothing about the sport.  There are to many of these types of fans to begin with.
A

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2008, 04:01:34 PM »
War Colossus!

Q

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2008, 04:27:56 PM »
name a fighter who hasn't had an off night.
DAWG

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2008, 05:00:54 PM »
name a fighter who hasn't had an off night.

There is a big difference with an untested over hyped fighter like Kimbo having an off night with a tomato can opponent and a tested fighter having an off night.   Kimbo's opponents have been a collection of has beens and never where's.  JT, a fighter with a terrible record limited skill set and a reputation for a glass jaw was schooling Kimbo for the majority of the fight.  Two or more times he had the dominant position on Kimbo and was effectively striking but was forced to stand up.  Something is not right here.  Kimbo received a gift and as fan of MMA you should be utterly offended by that.
A

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »
To tell you the truth there was hardly ay technique whatsoever in that fight.  It was basically just a backyard fight in a ring with a ref ad a larger audience.  Even on the ground neither of them knew what to do.  Thompson had Kimbo's arm trapped and had a wide open space to rain down punches and all he did was pitter-patter Kimbos face.  Kimbo reversed once from the gournd but that was more  natural move than technique.  I was very surprised how unprofessional they both looked.  And the girl fight was the best.  I liked the Lawler fight the best until they stopped it.  Should never have a woman doctor in the ring making decisions. 

Thompson was gassed.  He showed good technique in secruing underhooks, his wrestling has improved immensely since spending time at Xtreme Couture.  His stand up is still terrible, and his conditioning was lacking.  He did get the crucifix from cross side, passed what Kimbo has for a guard, and mounted multiple times. 

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2008, 05:39:47 PM »
Thompson was gassed.  He showed good technique in secruing underhooks, his wrestling has improved immensely since spending time at Xtreme Couture.  His stand up is still terrible, and his conditioning was lacking.  He did get the crucifix from cross side, passed what Kimbo has for a guard, and mounted multiple times. 

He still fought better than Kimbo, and took Kimbo's punches directly on the chin and didn't get knocked out.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2008, 07:29:09 PM »
Colossus, tough as nails!

Q

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2008, 08:23:48 PM »
I'll say this, Kimbo has some huge frickin fists holy shit!!
X

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2008, 09:28:44 PM »
wow. i'm not a thompson fan, but jeezus he won that fight at least twice. first kimbo tapped, and then he sat there defenseless for over a minute getting pounded, and it looked like after the round ended he just layed there.

that's some baby back bullshit right there. kimbo lost. end of story. and he lost bad.  ::)

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2008, 02:01:19 AM »
He still fought better than Kimbo, and took Kimbo's punches directly on the chin and didn't get knocked out.

I agree.  I was just saying he isn't a total can.  But for someone with little or no wrestling ability, he sure got Kimbo to the ground and kept him there.  If this were Nog, Werdum, Gonzaga, Vera, guys with wrestling and jits, the fight would have been over in the first.  Totally one dimensional fighter in Kimbo.  He needs to obtain those skillsets NOW, because he relies on his athleticism to make his techniques work, and he aint getting younger. 

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2008, 05:01:00 AM »
Kimbo should have been submitted.  They'd better not put him against anybody that has a clue about the ground game.  Some may call it an open guard, but he was just laying flat on his back.  Especially in that weak 1/2 guard, how many times could Thompson take the mount?  EliteXC is the minor league to the UFC.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2008, 06:47:37 AM »

Kev he sucked on the ground.  Most of that stuff will come naturally.  Instinct alone will get you on top.  If you got a guy who knows less than you under you, mounting shouldn't be a problem.  He did get the crucifix but even after that he couldn't do shit.  I haven't done any of this stuff for 20 years and my ground game is better than that.  Thompson is overhyped for the fight.  But he does have a chin cause he did take some good shots.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2008, 07:37:11 AM »
Interview with Colossus right after the fight

http://www.proelite.com/player/video/115332/1
Q

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2008, 09:10:18 AM »
Kimbo should have been submitted.  They'd better not put him against anybody that has a clue about the ground game.  Some may call it an open guard, but he was just laying flat on his back.  Especially in that weak 1/2 guard, how many times could Thompson take the mount?  EliteXC is the minor league to the UFC.

they better not put him against a good striker, either. kimbo's basically bob sapp only without the frightening physical advantage and even less technical skill. he doesn't weigh 360 pounds so he can't just charge over people and hope to land a few punches.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
wow. i'm not a thompson fan, but jeezus he won that fight at least twice. first kimbo tapped, and then he sat there defenseless for over a minute getting pounded, and it looked like after the round ended he just layed there.

that's some baby back bullshit right there. kimbo lost. end of story. and he lost bad.  ::)

He was defenseless, but although his air supply was limited, I didn't think those elbows were doing any damage at all.

I thought he tapped, though. 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2008, 12:09:43 PM »
He was defenseless, but although his air supply was limited, I didn't think those elbows were doing any damage at all.

I thought he tapped, though. 

they may not have been doing damage, but the point is he was laying there not defending himself for over 60 seconds. i've seen fights in that position get stopped after about 10. it was a TKO, end of story.

Looney

• Getbig I
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2008, 12:35:10 PM »
The fight really exposed Kimbo`s lack of groundgame.
Im sick of the Kimbo hype, he lost 2 rounds against a D-level fighter and he is nowhere near the level that some people claim him to be.
Gary Shaw got some balls when he is trying to say that Kimbo would give some of the best Hw fighters problems.
The fight also looked fixed , Kimbo took like 20 elbows to the head wich he did not defend and the referee said nothing. Then the referee stood them up when JT had Side controll wich is a dominant position.
Then proceeded with stopping the fight way too prematurely
Kimbo = overrated.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2008, 01:29:17 PM »
Kev he sucked on the ground.  Most of that stuff will come naturally.  Instinct alone will get you on top.  If you got a guy who knows less than you under you, mounting shouldn't be a problem.  He did get the crucifix but even after that he couldn't do shit.  I haven't done any of this stuff for 20 years and my ground game is better than that.  Thompson is overhyped for the fight.  But he does have a chin cause he did take some good shots.

He never did any of this in his previous fights.  So he was a D level can prior, and is now a C level can.  His chin has always been suspect, and the fact that Kimbo didn't KO him makes me wonder about Kimbo's power. 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2008, 01:46:49 PM »
The fight really exposed Kimbo`s lack of groundgame.
Im sick of the Kimbo hype, he lost 2 rounds against a D-level fighter and he is nowhere near the level that some people claim him to be.
Gary Shaw got some balls when he is trying to say that Kimbo would give some of the best Hw fighters problems.
The fight also looked fixed , Kimbo took like 20 elbows to the head wich he did not defend and the referee said nothing. Then the referee stood them up when JT had Side controll wich is a dominant position.
Then proceeded with stopping the fight way too prematurely
Kimbo = overrated.

kimbo exists for one reason: he is a large, scary black thug. he got his ass kicked by a scrub white dude in a fight with limited rules, in which he broke the rules and then his posse dove in when gannon responded in kind. KO'd four times if memory serves.

today he's "hyped" because he's been "trained" and is now roided up twice as big. if a 200 pound white dude with blond hair had been in those underground fights, there'd be no hype. kimbo just looks like a terrifying hood rat and his promoters will ride the kimbo train by making sure he never fights anyone good, and the refs will make sure if he's against anyone competent that he'll still win.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2008, 03:38:23 PM »
kimbo exists for one reason: he is a large, scary black thug. he got his ass kicked by a scrub white dude in a fight with limited rules, in which he broke the rules and then his posse dove in when gannon responded in kind. KO'd four times if memory serves.

today he's "hyped" because he's been "trained" and is now roided up twice as big. if a 200 pound white dude with blond hair had been in those underground fights, there'd be no hype. kimbo just looks like a terrifying hood rat and his promoters will ride the kimbo train by making sure he never fights anyone good, and the refs will make sure if he's against anyone competent that he'll still win.

Well said.  When is the Mike Tyson circus going to happen?