Poll

What should the next contest (for reps) be?

405 Deadlift
315 Deadlift
315 Squat
315 Bench
225 Overhead Press
185 Overhead Press

Author Topic: Lets put it to a vote (POLL)  (Read 7488 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Lets put it to a vote (POLL)
« on: June 03, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »
First I just want to thank Chris Mason, Alan, and RON for all the support for these competitions we put on!

AtLargeNutrition.com                                                                         ProWristStraps.com     

We want to keep these competitions going every few months. We have many ideas on what the comp COULD be and I thought it best we vote on what the next one will be.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Re: Lets put it to a vote (POLL)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 04:41:29 PM »
Just a question on the overhead press. Does this include any leg drive or is it a strict military press?

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »
i said 315 squat because it would require the least "hedging" in terms of the competitors. either you hit parallel or you didn't. won't be any "i swear i didn't use any leg drive on those reps" or, if leg drive is allowed, "I didn't dip under it like a jerk".

and keep in mind i didn't vote for that because i've got ANY chance of winning that one. i just think it'd be the best. personally, i think the Mr Getbig should coincide with a full-blown PL meet. weight classes and all.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 06:55:44 PM »
How about something that a girl can compete in too??!?!?!!    :P

:)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:52:41 PM »
How about something that a girl can compete in too??!?!?!!    :P

how about a lb for lb contest or division?
I would have liked to do the 550 deadlift but i couldnt get that weight 405 is doable, we already did a 225 dead, and bench why not a 225 squat or are we trying to go heavier b/c this is the powerlifting board? although repping out with 225 on squats makes my stomach turn just thinking about it.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 08:16:32 PM »
how about a lb for lb contest or division?
I would have liked to do the 550 deadlift but i couldnt get that weight 405 is doable, we already did a 225 dead, and bench why not a 225 squat or are we trying to go heavier b/c this is the powerlifting board? although repping out with 225 on squats makes my stomach turn just thinking about it.

I'm down for something lb for lb as long as the rules and calculations are spelled out in advance and everyone agrees. 

Hopefully the timing would work out OK for me with my other comps, because I'm pretty sure I could take most of you big boys.   8)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 10:51:22 PM »
i said 315 squat because it would require the least "hedging" in terms of the competitors. either you hit parallel or you didn't. won't be any "i swear i didn't use any leg drive on those reps" or, if leg drive is allowed, "I didn't dip under it like a jerk".

and keep in mind i didn't vote for that because i've got ANY chance of winning that one. i just think it'd be the best. personally, i think the Mr Getbig should coincide with a full-blown PL meet. weight classes and all.

While I love that idea in principle, depending on the resolution/clarity of the vids people post, it's gonna be pretty hard to judge depth on squats.  Also there would need to be strict instructions to the entrants on what angle to shoot from--and all contestants would need to shoot from the same angle for fairness' sake--so that depth could be judged accurately.  'course that's not an issue with the DL, and not really with the BP (though with the BP you have the issue of whether it is touch and go...).

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:13:29 PM »
I gave Rip pretty good instructions about how to film herself squatting but she didn't appreciate them and she still hasn't posted a video.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 01:11:39 AM »
I go for the overhead press - either one is good.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 06:34:06 AM »
I gave Rip pretty good instructions about how to film herself squatting but she didn't appreciate them and she still hasn't posted a video.

Vids are coming soon, I promise.  But probably not exactly how you suggested I shoot them.   ;D

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 07:59:11 AM »
I was torn between squat and deadlift, but went 405 deadlift because I thought it could be hard to judge a squat and the whole leg drive and jerk thing on the overhead press would be complicated

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 08:05:02 AM »
I was torn between squat and deadlift, but went 405 deadlift because I thought it could be hard to judge a squat and the whole leg drive and jerk thing on the overhead press would be complicated

I've assumed that the overhead press would be seated. I would go for the deadlift one too but squats can be too easily manipulated and there wold be arguments about whether or not parallel would be achieved.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:43:55 AM »
Just a question on the overhead press. Does this include any leg drive or is it a strict military press?

Standing and you do it however you can get it up. Jerk, push press, strict, whatever gets it overhead. Bar pauses in bottom position, press to full lockout, and hold for a second to show full lockout.

I'm down for something lb for lb as long as the rules and calculations are spelled out in advance and everyone agrees. 

Hopefully the timing would work out OK for me with my other comps, because I'm pretty sure I could take most of you big boys.   8)

Come up with some ideas as to how we can verify peoples weight 100% AND be sure they are weighing themselves and lifting on the same day. Honor system only goes so far. Im sure I can get a scale to say, convincingly, that I am 50lbs less than I am and still zero out correctly. So why cant someone else?

While I love that idea in principle, depending on the resolution/clarity of the vids people post, it's gonna be pretty hard to judge depth on squats.  Also there would need to be strict instructions to the entrants on what angle to shoot from--and all contestants would need to shoot from the same angle for fairness' sake--so that depth could be judged accurately.  'course that's not an issue with the DL, and not really with the BP (though with the BP you have the issue of whether it is touch and go...).

Ditto.

I think the 405 Deadlift is the easiest one for people to agree on. Weight on the floor, pick it up, simple.

I like the overhead press but I think seated will be hard to judge. People tend to turn it into an incline press and then claim it was "strict." If its standing and you are allowed to jerk, jump, or however you can get it up, it turns into a brute strength event where the whole body is included. In a strongman competition there is no rule, just get it up, lock it out, the end. We could make it a clean and press event too. What do you guys think?

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 09:12:06 AM »
Standing and you do it however you can get it up. Jerk, push press, strict, whatever gets it overhead. Bar pauses in bottom position, press to full lockout, and hold for a second to show full lockout.

sounds like we're angling for a PL board strongman competition. y'know my gym DOES have a log unit handy...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 09:27:32 AM »
I like the overhead press but I think seated will be hard to judge. People tend to turn it into an incline press and then claim it was "strict." If its standing and you are allowed to jerk, jump, or however you can get it up, it turns into a brute strength event where the whole body is included. In a strongman competition there is no rule, just get it up, lock it out, the end. We could make it a clean and press event too. What do you guys think?
man i would love a clean and press event just cuz it sounds like fun i havent done those in forever...but i know id get way out done on it i dont even know if i can clean 185...lol

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 03:37:45 PM »
military 225 for reps.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 07:01:14 PM »
How about something that a girl can compete in too??!?!?!!    :P

let's have a chocolate chip cookie bake off !

:D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 07:29:54 PM »

let's have a chocolate chip cookie bake off !

:D

HA!  Whatever it is, Geo my sweetie pie, I'll betcha that if you and I both enter, I will mop the floor with you.   :-*

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 07:41:58 PM »

HA!  Whatever it is, Geo my sweetie pie, I'll betcha that if you and I both enter, I will mop the floor with you.   :-*

Picking on golden agers isn't very nice.  >:(

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 07:57:11 PM »

agreed!

and again..a huge thanks to all our sponsors. This thing went off better than the deadlift challenge did! All competitors please be sure to get with me for your discount codes and your APT prizes!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 08:34:12 PM »
Picking on golden agers isn't very nice.  >:(

He started it!   :P

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 07:40:39 AM »
225 Overhead or 405 Deadlift

Squat is too hard to judge and based on past quality of videos it will be a mess.

Also, you could wear tight briefs while squating and nobody would know.

8)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 08:36:56 AM »
225 Overhead or 405 Deadlift

Squat is too hard to judge and based on past quality of videos it will be a mess.

Also, you could wear tight briefs while squating and nobody would know.

8)

Thats what I was thinking too. You COULD even have a suit on with baggy clothes over it. Most people seem to like the squat but I wonder how many would actually make it through judging? I think we would have to just say that the contest is Ass-to-Calves, nothing less. Then we would have to have standard clothing as to minimize the possibility of using supportive gear.

Daisy Dukes and Tube Tops all around! :P

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 08:41:51 AM »
Thats what I was thinking too. You COULD even have a suit on with baggy clothes over it. Most people seem to like the squat but I wonder how many would actually make it through judging? I think we would have to just say that the contest is Ass-to-Calves, nothing less. Then we would have to have standard clothing as to minimize the possibility of using supportive gear.

lol the last thing i wanna see on the internet is dudes in daisy dukes doing ass to grass squats.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 06:57:42 PM »

you know there's no question with me!  :D