Author Topic: Bigger, stronger , faster; PR nightmare for bodybuilding?  (Read 5568 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Bigger, stronger , faster; PR nightmare for bodybuilding?
« on: June 10, 2008, 08:27:26 AM »
I have seen the various clips from the pro-steroid movie; "Bigger, Stronger, Faster".
It is a well done film and should be seen by everyone interested in sports and bodybuilding.
There is a now famous deleted scene where Mr Olympia Jay Culter talks opnely about drugs along with various other IFBB pros. I  admire Jay and the others for being honest and candid.
Having said that, I fear that he may wish he never said THAT on film.
If the feds are going after anyone in pro bodybuilding , like baseball (Bonds), it will be the top guy .
Jay is our Mr Olympia and would get more media hype than busting some lower tier Joe Blow pro.
The IFBB can't be pleased that the statements on this film are in direct conflict with their own written rules and policy.

The sad reality is that by being this honest and open about steroids in the current political climate is asking for trouble. Barry Bonds is being called back in for lying to a federal grand jury. We have seen the now famous witch hunt trials in congress.
Does anyone who saw those trials , think for a minute , that being honest and candid is going to help make their case? I wish it would and that the world of sports could come clean , be honest without fear of punishment. I am all for ending the extreme levels of drugs we now see in bodybuilding. But, I don't want those involved  to be treated like criminals for simply doing what needs to be done to win.

bebop396

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Bigger, stronger , faster; PR nightmare for bodybuilding?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 08:31:07 AM »
Jay will get no crap for his remarks....

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:34:12 AM »
I wouldn't say it's a PR nightmare... for an unknown sport, most PR is good.  And 100% of Americans would like to look better... this movie will probably do damn good in the video store.

I didn't see Christin Bovin's remarks to compare to Jay.  Jay basically said everyone does steroids, he sure didn't shy away from anything.  Props for it.

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:34:37 AM »
Jay knows what he's doing.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:44:59 AM »
Jay doesn't specifically admit to it. But he lays the obvious out.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 08:54:20 AM »
I wouldn't say it's a PR nightmare... for an unknown sport, most PR is good.  And 100% of Americans would like to look better... this movie will probably do damn good in the video store.

I didn't see Christin Bovin's remarks to compare to Jay.  Jay basically said everyone does steroids, he sure didn't shy away from anything.  Props for it.
Since ben Johnson in 1988, I have yet to see any pro athlete in ANY sport be treated well in the media or an investigation by being candid and honest about 'roids.
Jay did say he had the advantage.
In the bodybuilding culture we withink this film is awesome and honest. However, it throws open the door into what we already knew as basic fact, to the general public again.

I can see the indictments comming now and it will be a witch hunt, trust me.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 09:03:33 AM »
Jay will be fine, no one except the hobby's fans care about the inner workings of bodybuilding. Most people understand that modern strength sports are heavily drugged up.

If they haven't gone after bodybuilding in the past, they won't now. Bodybuilding, professional or not, just isn't that important.

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 09:07:07 AM »
I have seen the various clips from the pro-steroid movie; "Bigger, Stronger, Faster".
It is a well done film and should be seen by everyone interested in sports and bodybuilding.
There is a now famous deleted scene where Mr Olympia Jay Culter talks opnely about drugs along with various other IFBB pros. I  admire Jay and the others for being honest and candid.
If the feds are going after anyone in pro bodybuilding , like baseball (Bonds), it will be the top guy .
Jay is our Mr Olympia and would get more media hype than busting some lower tier Joe Blow pro.
The IFBB can't be pleased that the statements on this film are in direct conflict with their own written rules and policy.

The sad reality is that by being this honest and open about steroids in the current political climate is asking for trouble. Barry Bonds is being called back in for lying to a federal grand jury. We have seen the now famous witch hunt trials in congress.
Does anyone who saw those trials , think for a minute , that being honest and candid is going to help make their case? I wish it would and that the world of sports could come clean , be honest without fear of punishment. I am all for ending the extreme levels of drugs we now see in bodybuilding. But, I don't want those involved  to be treated like criminals for simply doing what needs to be done to win.

No I think you just wish bodybuilding in it's current form would disappear to remedy your own feelings of inferiority/mediocrity and you would LOVE IT if Jay Cutler for some reason started looking more like you. 

Stavios

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »
who has a legit torrent !
it's not in theater here and I dont want to wait a few months to see it

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 09:13:24 AM »
No I think you just wish bodybuilding in it's current form would disappear to remedy your own feelings of inferiority/mediocrity and you would LOVE IT if Jay Cutler for some reason started looking more like you. 
Ya know I never really understand the logic of this kind of arguement.
How does my physique vs Jay Cutler's have anything to do with the issue and policy on drug use in our sport.
I don't compete now and never was a pro, thus, my body is a NON issue in this debate.
This thread is a a deabte about this issue and policy of drugs brought out by the film.
I am sorry but your reply was not really relevent in the thread debate.
Thanks

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 09:20:19 AM »
How does my physique vs Jay Cutler's have anything to do with the issue and policy on drug use in our sport.
I don't compete now and never was a pro, thus, my body is a NON issue in this debate.
This thread is a a deabte about this issue and policy of drugs brought out by the film.
Thanks

if steroids vanish, sports will die. we're too far along now. besides, why is it that people care more about performance enhancing drugs than detrimental ones? the super bowl is sponsored by a beer company, just for starters.

somehow it's been decided that if a 17 year old on the football team is presented with a bottle of whiskey, a bowl, and a vial of test, he should take the whiskey and the pot and avoid the test like the plague. if you're gonna fuck up your body, you might as well get something out of it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 09:28:52 AM »
who has a legit torrent !
it's not in theater here and I dont want to wait a few months to see it

can someone call up the director, see if he can sell downloads of it to getbiggers.  I'd pay $10 right now to watch it.  I don't want that torrent drama on my PC.

Stavios

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 09:29:43 AM »
can someone call up the director, see if he can sell downloads of it to getbiggers.  I'd pay $10 right now to watch it.  I don't want that torrent drama on my PC.

I would pay too

I just dont want to wait months until it comes out here

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 09:37:17 AM »
If the feds wanted to go after Pro BBing, they could have done it a long time ago as it's about as easy a target as you get.  It is very, very far from mainstream so it would do them no good to go after it.  They like high profile targets like baseball, football etc.  Who cares if Jay admitted?  Hell you saw the HGH and Humlin-R in his refegerator in his video for god sakes.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 09:40:27 AM »
Jay's wife is a nurse, and he probably has perscriptions for his stuff.
Or at least 1 script for test.  So he can't be cited for possesion, or
Intoxication because he would have a script.
Most are all show no go!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 09:45:48 AM »

Implicit in this comment is that you are OK with “a little” or limited drug use.  If you are OK with any amount of steroid use you are giving everyone a license to tell themselves that “just a little more” is OK.  You heard Jay: he has the edge.  Everyone wants that edge.  In any sort of competitive climate (or even a cosmetic climate) people are going to try to put themselves on the cutting edge.  That’s how we got into the current situation, remember?

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 09:50:07 AM »
Thanks

OK then if the IFBB looked like Layne Norton would you log off and never come back on here?  Would you be happy then?         

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 10:39:46 AM »
STFU and go train, Howie.

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 03:31:25 PM »
Implicit in this comment is that you are OK with “a little” or limited drug use.  If you are OK with any amount of steroid use you are giving everyone a license to tell themselves that “just a little more” is OK.  You heard Jay: he has the edge.  Everyone wants that edge.  In any sort of competitive climate (or even a cosmetic climate) people are going to try to put themselves on the cutting edge.  That’s how we got into the current situation, remember?

sharp, man.  very sharp.  lol

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 03:37:49 PM »
OK then if the IFBB looked like Layne Norton would you log off and never come back on here?  Would you be happy then?         
the ironic and hypocritical part of Howard and his redundant arguments is the fact he himself uses artificial testosterone (steroids) but he can rationalize it to himself because its low dose and prescribed:-\

well what about the competitors who are using low doses of testosterone, as you are Howard-----are they cheats, liars and criminals??  Most BBers have prescriptions for it just as you do.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 03:37:58 PM »
STFU and go train, Howie.

;D
[/youtube]

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 03:45:23 PM »
the ironic and hypocritical part of Howard and his redundant arguments is the fact he himself uses artificial testosterone (steroids) but he can rationalize it to himself because its low dose and prescribed:-\

well what about the competitors who are using low doses of testosterone, as you are Howard-----are they cheats, liars and criminals??  Most BBers have prescriptions for it just as you do.
Stop argueing, the guy made it clear that he used to compete and couldn't cut it and now holds a big grudge against guys who used steroids because of his own shortcomings. This is usually the case with people against steroids. If only one person that argued against roids that had the genetics to be a pro then I would shut up permantly, but clearly its only people with shity genetics bash the sport so they can justify their own shorcomings.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 04:08:11 PM »
Stop argueing, the guy made it clear that he used to compete and couldn't cut it and now holds a big grudge against guys who used steroids because of his own shortcomings. This is usually the case with people against steroids. If only one person that argued against roids that had the genetics to be a pro then I would shut up permantly, but clearly its only people with shity genetics bash the sport so they can justify their own shorcomings.
I have said the same kind of things myself about others who crack on the pros as "all drugs".
I have posted ad naseum on my own failings as a bodybuilder. I actually  tried to go pro for a few years back in the 80's. Yup,  used some juice and did what I could and won a few Mr Podunks, but, that was it.Even on a boatlod of drugs, I would never be close to Ronnie, Jay or Dexter, etc. I am fan of the pros and top national bodybuilders and attend events, judge NPC shows, etc.
I am big advocate of the idea that the pros are the top guys due to genetics, work ethic , diet discipline MORE than drugs. Thus, unlike many here, I think the best guys would still look damn impressive , despite being less massive /freaky on a lot less drugs.

Ok here is an open question:
* Do you agree with moderate drug use as a means to bring sanity back into bodybuiding? Thanks, Howard

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
I have said the same kind of things myself about others who crack on the pros as "all drugs".
I have posted ad naseum on my own failings as a bodybuilder. I actually  tried to go pro for a few years back in the 80's. Yup,  used some juice and did what I could and won a few Mr Podunks, but, that was it.Even on a boatlod of drugs, I would never be close to Ronnie, Jay or Dexter, etc. I am fan of the pros and top national bodybuilders and attend events, judge NPC shows, etc.
I am big advocate of the idea that the pros are the top guys due to genetics, work ethic , diet discipline MORE than drugs. Thus, unlike many here, I think the best guys would still look damn impressive , despite being less massive /freaky on a lot less drugs.

Ok here is an open question:
* Do you agree with moderate drug use as a means to bring sanity back into bodybuiding? Thanks, Howard
I agree with what it would take to win according to your passion not your stupity. If you have the potential to go pro and become one of the best in the world you cannot let societies opinion hang you. If you are a high school student looking for attention then of course doing roids is a bad decision. Jay has been to hell and back on his way to the top anyone who disagrees with this is dumb, how are you sitting in the back seat saying he took a wrong turn (his comment on roids), don't you think that he knows what he is doing. The sport is not going to change nor should it. What next lets shut down NASA because a couple of rockets have blown up with people inside, lets band rock climbing because a few people have falling of the a cliff or lets just close the highway so there won't be any car accidentsd, give me a break.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 04:37:32 PM »
I agree with what it would take to win according to your passion not your stupity. If you have the potential to go pro and become one of the best in the world you cannot let societies opinion hang you. If you are a high school student looking for attention then of course doing roids is a bad decision. Jay has been to hell and back on his way to the top anyone who disagrees with this is dumb, how are you sitting in the back seat saying he took a wrong turn (his comment on roids), don't you think that he knows what he is doing. The sport is not going to change nor should it. What next lets shut down NASA because a couple of rockets have blown up with people inside, lets band rock climbing because a few people have falling of the a cliff or lets just close the highway so there won't be any car accidentsd, give me a break.
I really like your reply and ideas in it, I agree, passion to push the envelope is how all great things are done.
However, going to extremes, just to go to extrems may not always be the best path.
In my humble opinion, being more massive than Arnold or Sergio is NOT better, but distorted.
You don't want a swimmer physique, but a freaky mass monster at 300lbs is not the ideal either.
I am one of those guys that is also against those straight jacket bench shirts that lets a guy bench 200 or more lbs over their raw max.
I think the passion should be for perfection of the overall physique and in my opinion, perfection is as much about shape and balance along with size and cuts.
Howard