Author Topic: Guantanamo inmates 'have rights'  (Read 7875 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Guantanamo inmates 'have rights'
« on: June 12, 2008, 07:54:39 AM »
Foreign suspects held in Guantanamo Bay have the right to challenge their detention in US civilian courts, the US Supreme Court has ruled.

It overturned by five to four a ruling that upheld a 2006 law that took away the rights of suspects to seek full judicial review of their detention.

It is not clear if the ruling will lead to prompt hearings for the detainees.

Some 270 men are held at the US naval base, on suspicion of terrorism or links to al-Qaeda and the Taleban.

The court said the detainees "have the constitutional privilege of habeas corpus".

Justice Anthony Kennedy said: "The laws and constitution are designed to survive, and remain in force, in extraordinary times."

This is the Bush administration's third setback at the highest US court since 2004 over its treatment of prisoners who are being held indefinitely and without charge at the base in Cuba.

The court has ruled twice previously that Guantanamo inmates could go into civilian courts to ask that the government justify their continued detention.

But each time, the Bush administration and Congress, then controlled by Republicans, changed the law to keep the detainees out of civilian courts.

Last week, five detainees, including key suspect Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, appeared before a military tribunal in Guantanamo Bay.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed dismissed the trial as an "inquisition".

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: Guantanamo inmates 'have rights'
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:58:31 AM »
HOW PATHETIC

It's already been proven that once released they go right back to killing people.

As if that is not worse US taxpayers will have to pay for 1) court appointed attorney 2) court costs

Liberals must want to either be blown up or innocent people to die

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 08:16:52 AM »
Lesson...don't take prisoners or don't admit to taking prisoners.... ;D
L

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 08:19:08 AM »
Lesson...don't take prisoners or don't admit to taking prisoners.... ;D

What's the problem? If they are guilty, it'll be proven in court. If it can't be proven they are guilty they shouldn't be there. How are you gonna spread democracy if you won't play by it's simplest rules?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 08:22:41 AM »
What's the problem? If they are guilty, it'll be proven in court. If it can't be proven they are guilty they shouldn't be there. How are you gonna spread democracy if you won't play by it's simplest rules?

I think we should change the rules, and when a US sodier catches a terrorist with a rocket launcher and a cell phone that connects to a terror leader, he should be shot on the spot.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 08:26:05 AM »
This is a GOOD thing for our country

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:28:27 AM »
I think we should change the rules, and when a US sodier catches a terrorist with a rocket launcher and a cell phone that connects to a terror leader, he should be shot on the spot.

If that's the evidence then they will be tried, convicted and sentenced as appropriate and that's a good thing

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:29:48 AM »
I was reading a newspaper article the other day where they quoted US Officials from Guantanamo discussing Khadr, the kid who was paralyzed from the waste down when US troops invaded his house in Afghanistan. His captors were quoted as saying "He is a good kid".
w

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 08:37:57 AM »
I was reading a newspaper article the other day where they quoted US Officials from Guantanamo discussing Khadr, the kid who was paralyzed from the waste down when US troops invaded his house in Afghanistan. His captors were quoted as saying "He is a good kid".

I remember reading the article about the guy who deserted the Kuwaiti army to fight jihad in Afghanistan, was picked up, put in Guantanamo, released, and then blew himself up in the middle of a bunch of Iraqi policemen.  ;)

The majority of the people left in Guantanamo are probably there for a reason given the amount of guys that have been released.

I agree. That's what AQ and the other terrorist groups would do. After torturing their captives, of course.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 08:39:46 AM »
I remember reading the article about the guy who deserted the Kuwaiti army to fight jihad in Afghanistan, was picked up, put in Guantanamo, released, and then blew himself up in the middle of a bunch of Iraqi policemen.  ;)

The majority of the people left in Guantanamo are probably there for a reason given the amount of guys that have been released.

I agree. That's what AQ and the other terrorist groups would do. After torturing their captives, of course.

That avatar is most distracting, in a good way.  :)

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 08:44:53 AM »
That avatar is most distracting, in a good way.  :)

Hahaha, it is. For months I didn't know who it was and thought it was some random girl but it turns out she's a Penthouse model named Shay Laren.

Here's a good pic for this thread.  ;D

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 08:45:07 AM »
Our terrorist, Posada, lives nice and comfortable on US soil under their protection since 2005 despite numerous diploatic requests for him to be extradited. Never mind his *admitted* decade plus spree of bombing an airliner killing all passengers, bombing hotels, schools etc.  

I am 100% serious when I say he gets safety there they say we "might" torture him and they do not approve of torturing terrorists.

Need I mention, this is irony defined.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 08:46:38 AM »
Our terrorist, Posada, lives nice and comfortable on US soil under their protection since 2005 despite numerous diploatic requests for him to be extradited. Never mind his *admitted* decade plus spree of bombing an airliner killing all passengers, bombing hotels, schools etc. 

I am 100% serious when I say he gets safety there they say we "might" torture him and they do not approve of torturing terrorists.

I hate to be a stickler, but our torture tactics pale in comparisons to most other countries and terrorist groups. AQI has been documented cutting people's faces off with piano wire. I really have no sympathy for extremists not getting their rights in their vacation home in Cuba.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 08:49:36 AM »

Ferdinand Marcos, The Shah of Iran... the list is endless. The USA has always provided asylum to terrorists.
w

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 08:52:57 AM »
America's the bad guy, America's the bad guy, without America things would be wonderful, everybody would live in peace and harmony in fuzzy bunny land....fuck these gitmo assholes....they want u dead..pump for info and leave em in a ditch. Which is more then they would do to u...but again most on here have never been met, dealt with or been effected by these assholes.
L

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 08:58:14 AM »
America's the bad guy, America's the bad guy, without America things would be wonderful, everybody would live in peace and harmony in fuzzy bunny land....fuck these gitmo assholes....they want u dead..pump for info and leave em in a ditch. Which is more then they would do to u...but again most on here have never been met, dealt with or been effected by these assholes.

no one is saying that

America is the Good Guy and that's why this ruling by the Supreme Court is a GOOD THING

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 09:01:22 AM »
I hate to be a stickler, but our torture tactics pale in comparisons to most other countries and terrorist groups. AQI has been documented cutting people's faces off with piano wire. I really have no sympathy for extremists not getting their rights in their vacation home in Cuba.

Well, good as you are supporting his on your tax dollars as well, making sure he is nice and comfy in Miami. Also, Cuba was not the main one wanting extradion btw.

20+ nations in the region have requested his extradition as well. They said they will take him to their soil, so any Cuba connection is lost. Mine has, which there is no way we could even be suspected of torture. We have no guns, no armed military, no death penalty, or allow corporal punishment in schools to give you an idea of the vibe. So, no flame, but the thought that we would torture is retarded at best, as all our history shows this. We probably don't even know how, knowing us.

Ferdinand Marcos, The Shah of Iran... the list is endless. The USA has always provided asylum to terrorists.

And they wonder why the international community looks at their "war on terror" weird.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 09:26:34 AM »
It's already been proven that once released they go right back to killing people.

HH6,

If you were taken POW, then released...

would you return to duty?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 09:52:13 AM »
HH6,

I thought we released them because they were innocent.

If I was taken captive, and released and presumed innocent I would have nothing to return to except my family and job.

If otherwise I should be kept captive and then shot, instead of being fed five course meals and being allowed to pray.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 09:56:22 AM »
I thought we released them because they were innocent.

If I was taken captive, and released and presumed innocent I would have nothing to return to except my family and job.

If otherwise I should be kept captive and then shot, instead of being fed five course meals and being allowed to pray.

Just because we can't charge them, doesn't mean they're innocent.  Everyone in that cage is probably guilty.  Problem is, you don't have evidence, and by the rules of law, a guy fighting in a war can't be prosecuted for fighting in a war.  You release him when the war is over.  It's how it worked in every other war until this one.

Now, we keep the wars going indefinitely (pilfering public treasury and stalling war outcome so we can build pipeline is the goal).  So we're stuck with these folks that would normally have returned once 'mission accomplished' was announced.  Then, if they choose to attack again, they're a criminal who is fighitng when there isn't a war, and they get hanged by iraq itself.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 09:57:27 AM »
HH6,

HH6 would grab a quick protein shake and be back on duty in 5 mins.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 09:59:51 AM »
Donald Rumsfeld says "Democracy is Messy"

and this is probably one of the few topics on which he is right and he probably doesn't even know it.

http://www.fpa.org/newsletter_info2583/newsletter_info_sub_list.htm?section=Americans%20Wonder%3A%20Can%20Iraq%20be%20saved%3F

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »
Just because we can't charge them, doesn't mean they're innocent.  Everyone in that cage is probably guilty.  Problem is, you don't have evidence, and by the rules of law, a guy fighting in a war can't be prosecuted for fighting in a war.  You release him when the war is over.  It's how it worked in every other war until this one.

Now, we keep the wars going indefinitely (pilfering public treasury and stalling war outcome so we can build pipeline is the goal).  So we're stuck with these folks that would normally have returned once 'mission accomplished' was announced.  Then, if they choose to attack again, they're a criminal who is fighitng when there isn't a war, and they get hanged by iraq itself.

I'm pretty sure after we arrest them we have evidence collected. But what if we don't your willing to let those that you know are guilty be set free to kill innocent children and women with bombs strapped to their back? That is not morals, that is murder.

Brits held German troops prisoners for over 5 years after WWI, same with all the other wars we still have soldiers in Vietnam.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 11:04:16 AM »
I'm pretty sure after we arrest them we have evidence collected. But what if we don't your willing to let those that you know are guilty be set free to kill innocent children and women with bombs strapped to their back? That is not morals, that is murder.

Brits held German troops prisoners for over 5 years after WWI, same with all the other wars we still have soldiers in Vietnam.

think hard about the question you're asking here

when you wrote  "your willing" I assume you mean "are you willing"

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 11:09:48 AM »
yeah, "are you"

I know not many of us in this thread with the exception of one would, haha.

Just brings up a mystifying subject of "morals" and Nietzsche's "will to power" are we willing to save one life (inherently evil) for the risk of hundreds some of which we may say are "good"?