Author Topic: Torn Meniscus  (Read 3150 times)

juicyjuce

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Torn Meniscus
« on: June 15, 2008, 01:21:51 PM »
I have a minor tear in my lateral meniscus.  I was wondering if I could get some insight on anyone else's experiences or someone who they know regarding this.  I am particularly looking for how long it took to heal and able to go all out on legs again.

Thanks,
J

The Coach

Re: Torn Meniscus
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:38:20 PM »
I have a minor tear in my lateral meniscus.  I was wondering if I could get some insight on anyone else's experiences or someone who they know regarding this.  I am particularly looking for how long it took to heal and able to go all out on legs again.

Thanks,
J

It's not that big a deal. About a 45min surgery (orthoscopy) off your crutches the next day and walking, start with short walks for a day, the next double what you did the day before and so on for a week. The following week start with light extentions and progress 10% every 2 days for a week then go to more functional movements like bodyweight squats 3 days per week for a week after that start adding small loads progressing 10-15% from there on out.

But after the first week or so, you'll be back to walking normally.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 03:37:22 AM »
^Yep.
Fortunately, I haven't had one (yet), but from literature and talking with different people, recovery time is very minimal - even more so for someone already in good shape.
The orthoscopic procedure is fast, simple, and will not leave you with any big ugly scars.

Did you have the surgery yet?
Does/did your knee tend to lock up on you?
Was it a lateral movement or stress that caused the tear?

Good luck!

juicyjuce

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 05:30:14 PM »
No I have not had surgery yet.  My knee feels like if I straighten it out all the way while walking it feels like I am hyperextending my knee and it shoots a sharp pain(almost breath taking).  I also have the crackling in there as well. 

Can't wait for this to be over.

J

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:38:57 AM »
Good luck.
Let us know how it turns out!

SpaceCase

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:45:55 PM »
The doctor cut my cartilage on June 17 (no stitches, just a trim job), making me as of today approximately 24 days post-op. I've got the OP report in my possession but it's esoteric medical talk, and so I don't understand all of it.

>10 days post-op the doctor told me that I have the well known "bucket handle". The chances for a complete recovery are 50/50, thanks to the dreaded bucket handle. Google has pics of the bucket handle. As bad as a bucket handle is, the doctor said that I'm not bone-on-bone. I have a hole in my cartilage. They can't cover the hole with anything. That's essentially what a bucket handle is.

>i do not yet have my natural walk or gait back yet. My leg is stiff and I still walk with a very noticeable limp. I started rehab earlier this week. I'm making improvements in nice, small, daily chunks, thankfully. The PT allows me to ride the stationary bicycle, but not a road bike. He started me with isometrics but we have yet to use any ankle weights. Right now we're focusing on getting my range of motion back and flexing my quad muscle

>i was full weight bearing on post-op day two or three. I got rid of the crutches around day three post op

>up until post-op day ten I stayed at home and was sedentary. I was either in bed, sitting on a chair or up and about hobbling around fixing something to eat. I felt that doing as little as possible was as opposed to be a hard ass was the best route to take. On post-op day ten I started to go outside as it was time for me to go see my surgeon. I got in my car for the first time since the surgery, went to see him and later that day went to Costco. It was then that I started to experience for the first time what I call "electric shocks" to my injured knee. On a scale of 1 to 10 the electric shock produces a level 9 feeling of pain. You definitely don't want to be carrying a carton of eggs or step in the shower or fire a gun at a target when you get one of these electric shocks. The ES lasts for only a split second and is gone as quickly as it appeared but make no mistake, it's painful. Guess you could say that it feels like a very quick and hard bee sting. Only once did I get an electric shock in a public place and it was kinda embarrassing. You grimace a little and you might say 'ouch' out loud and then you are just as quickly composed and feeling fine leaving people wondering what the heck that was all about.

>ever since day 10 post-op I average anywhere between 2 and 5 electric shocks a day, with a rare day when they are not felt. (I don't take any OTC or prescription meds, it's too soon for that, gotta give PT a chance). The $100 question is whether or not the electric shocks will go away once all the swelling goes down (yes, knee still a little swollen 20+ days post-op) and once I get my full range of motion along with my strength back. Then again maybe it's something that'll never go away and is due to the dreaded bucket handle. Which means they'll have to shoot some lubricants in my knee, or give me either a full or partial knee replacement. Ultimately the question might come down to whether or not I want to live with the electrical shocks 0-5 times a day on a daily basis and become a fanatical day-in, day-out gum chewer. I guess you can always bite down on gum whenever you get an electric shock.

>all in all if it wasn't for the electric shocks I'd say that my rate of progress has been very good and that I'm very pleased and pleasantly surprised with how well things are going in my first week of physical therapy 20+ days after surgery. However, the electric shock matter leaves a huge question mark hanging over my head that won't be answered probably till around Labor Day, 2008. If it's still there by then, then I'm in a pickle because while I like gum I don't want to have to chew it 365 days a year.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »
Which means they'll have to shoot some lubricants in my knee, or give me either a full or partial knee replacement.

Don’t let anyone bullsh!t you.
Whether you get a partial or full replacement, expect some serious pain for a while (approx. 12 months).

My girlfriend is a PT and treats a lot of these. Funnily enough, the surgeons usually fail to mention the part about the post-op pain, and these poor soon-to-be patients go in with the impression that the good Dr. is going to perform this magical surgery and they’ll be HEALED immediately following.

By the time the PT’s get the patients, they’re miserably grumpy and hostile fvcks who end up hating the therapists for making them do sh!t that hurts even more.

SpaceCase

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 11:15:09 AM »
Don’t let anyone bullsh!t you.
Whether you get a partial or full replacement, expect some serious pain for a while (approx. 12 months).

My girlfriend is a PT and treats a lot of these. Funnily enough, the surgeons usually fail to mention the part about the post-op pain, and these poor soon-to-be patients go in with the impression that the good Dr. is going to perform this magical surgery and they’ll be HEALED immediately following.

By the time the PT’s get the patients, they’re miserably grumpy and hostile fvcks who end up hating the therapists for making them do sh!t that hurts even more.

Seriously, that's very interesting. Tomorrow I'll be seeing my PT, week two of therapy, 20+ days post op. I'll tell him what you said. I wonder what your girl would say about the bucket handle I'm dealing with as it relates to the electric shock pain I'm experiencing. If I could, I would ask her, "Can I expect it to go away or is this something that will stick around indefinitely?" Right now, from where I sit, I have to wonder if there's any light at the end of the frickin' tunnel.

If PT, and fate, is unable to deal me a better hand, then I expect the next thing would be for me to get my knee shot up with hyaluronic acid injections or Synvisc injections. Both injections aren't a sure thing, or something a person can count on in defeating osteoarthritis. If none of those work I'll try Aquedan. If that doesn't stop the electric shocks, other than a total or partial knee replacement, I've run out of options.