Author Topic: Grits and Insulin spike?  (Read 3085 times)

cbo

• Getbig I
Grits and Insulin spike?
« on: June 20, 2008, 05:44:51 PM »
OK, i have looked everywhere and cant find a str8 answer,, i know that grits arent as good a carb as oatmeal and that they are a byproduct of corn,,, but are they considered a complex carb?  And ultimately,, will they spike my insulin.  I want to eat grits instead of oatmeal but i cant afford to gain any body fat so would like to keep a steady insulin level. PLEASE HELP,  :  )   THANKS

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: Grits and Insulin spike?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »
ahhh

common misconception about carbs

oatmeal isnt that "complex" bro.

it will raise insulin just like most starches will.

heres how you can find out how much a carb will effect insulin (how fast the body will break it down into glucose and release those sugars into the bloodstream).....    divide the total number of grams of fiber by the total number of carbs  so for example, broccoli has 4 carbs per serving and has 2 grams fiber per serving. 2/4 = .5 ...      the lower the decimal the faster it digests and the more it effects insulin

cbo

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 06:26:18 PM »
CAN,, thanks a lot dude,, i see a lot of ur posts on here and i appreciate you givin a shit enough to answer questions.  Never knew that about the division of carbs and fiber, will deff do that.  So do you think or do you know of body builders using grits as a carb?  I know ronnie does but,,,  do you think that instant grits would be released fast enough to actuall put on fat??

RDW

• Getbig III
  • Get Big or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 06:54:39 PM »
ahhh

common misconception about carbs

oatmeal isnt that "complex" bro.

it will raise insulin just like most starches will.

heres how you can find out how much a carb will effect insulin (how fast the body will break it down into glucose and release those sugars into the bloodstream).....    divide the total number of grams of fiber by the total number of carbs  so for example, broccoli has 4 carbs per serving and has 2 grams fiber per serving. 2/4 = .5 ...      the lower the decimal the faster it digests and the more it effects insulin

No. That is not correct at all.  You are comparing potential energy expenditure with insulin response when they two are not directly related.  

Carbohydrates come in different structures, simple carbs (mono and disaccharides) and complex (polysaccarides). Polysaccharide carbohydrates are made up of glucose monosaccharide units joined together by glycosidic bonds. The more complex the carb the longer it takes to break down into glucose, giving it a low GI value (Glycemic Index).  Now, this does not necessarily correlate proportionally to it's insulin response as two sugars with the same GI may have different effects on insulin (Shown by the Insulin Index).  Here is a document (a pdf) from a study that lists a number of foods and their glucose and insulin index levels.  This particular one has the base being white bread rather than glucose.  So a value of 100 = whitebread and glucose would be 140.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/66/5/1264

To answer the original question, grits and oatmeal are both complex carbs as long as they don't have sugar added (flavoured).  Oatmeal is more complex and is one of the absolute best carbs you can eat, but grits and even straight corn are also considered moderately complex.

Here is another link of useful information regarding complex carbs:
http://www.weightlossforall.com/complex-carbs.htm

Alex23

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 07:19:17 PM »
No. That is not correct at all.  You are comparing potential energy expenditure with insulin response when they two are not directly related.  

Carbohydrates come in different structures, simple carbs (mono and disaccharides) and complex (polysaccarides). Polysaccharide carbohydrates are made up of glucose monosaccharide units joined together by glycosidic bonds. The more complex the carb the longer it takes to break down into glucose, giving it a low GI value (Glycemic Index).  Now, this does not necessarily correlate proportionally to it's insulin response as two sugars with the same GI may have different effects on insulin (Shown by the Insulin Index).  Here is a document (a pdf) from a study that lists a number of foods and their glucose and insulin index levels.  This particular one has the base being white bread rather than glucose.  So a value of 100 = whitebread and glucose would be 140.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/66/5/1264

To answer the original question, grits and oatmeal are both complex carbs as long as they don't have sugar added (flavoured).  Oatmeal is more complex and is one of the absolute best carbs you can eat, but grits and even straight corn are also considered moderately complex.

Here is another link of useful information regarding complex carbs:
http://www.weightlossforall.com/complex-carbs.htm

Hahahahah RDWNED.

Candildo = stay in school and stop expertizing and day dreaming.

cbo

• Getbig I
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 08:35:02 PM »
THANKS dude,, that makes sense,, i just dont wanna be eating grits everyday and spiking my insulin without even knowing it.  You think grits would be ok to eat two or three times daily though?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 09:05:23 PM »
THANKS dude,, that makes sense,, i just dont wanna be eating grits everyday and spiking my insulin without even knowing it.  You think grits would be ok to eat two or three times daily though?
Don't worry about insulin response or glycemic index or any of that shit - worry about your total energy intake and macronutrient breakdown.

So, absolutely, nothing wrong with eating grits if the energy intake corresponds with what you're trying to do (go up or down in weight).

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 12:18:09 AM »
what the fuck ?

i am absolutely 100% accurate with what i said

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 12:25:43 AM »
YES absolutely worry about the GLYCEMIC LOAD (who gives a fuck about the glycemic index ? that doesnt matter at all)...

lets say a certain carbohydrate digests at a rate wheere 5 grams of glucose enter the bloodstream per minute. lets say you base metabnil rate burns 3 grams glucose per minute. if you have no room in glycogen stores for those extra 2 grams; those get stored as fat.

now another carb digests at a rate of 3 grams glucose per minute. and your bmr is 3 grams per minute. no fat storeage, even with filled glycogen.

so 50 grams of carbs, two different sources with different glycemic loads, and one of them causes fat storeage the other doesnt.

VERY FEW PEOPLE have a glucose demand or metabolism that is going to burn off oatmeal at the rate it is digested. so you had better have room in your glycogen stores when you eat oatmeal.

a calorie IS NOT a calorie !!!

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 12:37:40 AM »
CAN,, thanks a lot dude,, i see a lot of ur posts on here and i appreciate you givin a shit enough to answer questions.  Never knew that about the division of carbs and fiber, will deff do that.  So do you think or do you know of body builders using grits as a carb?  I know ronnie does but,,,  do you think that instant grits would be released fast enough to actuall put on fat??
yes ffor sure they can. like isaid, if your bmr doesnt have a fast enough burn on glucose to cover the rate of digestion of a carbohydrate, then anything extra that cant fit in glycogen WILL be stored as fat.

first thing in the morning or post training or before some strenuous activty grits will be fine tho

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 01:17:34 AM »
YES absolutely worry about the GLYCEMIC LOAD (who gives a fuck about the glycemic index ? that doesnt matter at all)...

Well, Glycemic load is based off of the Glycemic index.

Anyway, it just does not matter much at all. It comes down to energy in vs. energy out, whether you gain or lose fat.

A calorie is not a calorie if we consider all macronutrients. If your diet is lacking protein for example it will be detrimental. But if the macro ratios and amounts are fixed then the sources of the carbs will not matter much in the end (fructose is a bit of a special case). But if we compare two complex carbs with different GIs or IIs it just does not matter in the end.

Candi, don't forget that proteins also cause a rise in blood sugar and boost insulin quite nicely (remember that insulin program where you'd only drink whey to raise BG?). If having "low" BG and having low Glycemic load was that important you shouldn't drink any whey on a diet either.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 10:09:36 AM »
yes the same amount of calories in with the same amount of calories out = same excact changes in WEIGTH

but

if ALL the calories in are used effeciciently by the body and ZERO are stored as body fat, that makes  HUGE difference over time when it comes to body composition. low gL carbs will ensure that your body is using all of that energy, not storing it, and then drawing upon it an hour later from fat stores.

because the body uses ingested food very efficiently, where it uses body fat not to efficiently.