Author Topic: 120 lbs dumbells are discrimination against BBers  (Read 8573 times)

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
120 lbs dumbells are discrimination against BBers
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:50:05 PM »
Am I the only person that is annoyed that 24 hour fitness does not have dumbells over 120 lbs?  I emailed 24 hour fitness corporate and never received a response.  Do I have to join world Gym or Golds Gym to have access to decent equipment?

JasonH

• Getbig V
Re: 120 lbs dumbells are discrimination against BBers
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 04:12:02 AM »
Am I the only person that is annoyed that 24 hour fitness does not have dumbells over 120 lbs?  I emailed 24 hour fitness corporate and never received a response.  Do I have to join world Gym or Golds Gym to have access to decent equipment?

120lb dumbells isn't actually that bad for those so-called "fitness" gyms.

Here in the UK you're lucky if you go to one of those places and they have higher than 100lb dumbells.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 04:47:03 AM »
Im pissed off right now. We only got them to 100 ( ::)) We had them up to 120, then i go one day and they were gone...
No doubt about it...

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 04:53:28 AM »

they dont want people who workout hard in their gyms. 120lbs dumbells isnt that bad..i seen many gyms were they dont have more than 85-100lbs dumbells

altho the way most people workout most dont need dumbells much higher than 85lbs  ;D

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 07:59:49 AM »
My old gym went to 130 my new goes to 120 :'(

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 08:15:54 AM »
one of the 24's that i go to goes up to 150's but thats the only one that i know of that does most are 120's

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 08:18:44 AM »
You have to remind yourself that Fitness centers are made for the average joe and soccor mom. 95% of the members will never even touch a 120 pound DB.

If you are lucky you will be able to find a local powerlifting gym or non-chain gym that has heavy DBs. we have a gym about an hour from me that has DBs up to 150, but it's a bitch of a drive to get there.

Or you could just use a Barbell...

8)

fromfattoliving

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 08:42:50 AM »
Yah it sucks I work out a 24hr here and there is one that is down the road that has the 150's, but the other is right around the corner from my house with 120's. New gym in CO dedicated to BB'ers and real hardcores with 150's and 100lb plates. Thinking about leaving 24.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 08:49:47 AM »
Have to remember that Darksol is working out at 24 Hour Fitness, not 24 Hour Serious. Most of their business (and it is a big business) is geared towards people who just want to get into some form of decent shape. BB'ing is farest from their minds. Or most highschool aged kids who are stroking it most of the time they are there. They do not have a clue as to what lifting is all about.

If Darksol is doing benches, inclines or DB rows, than he has hit the wall so to speak. Unless he try's the one and one half system, Pre-exhaust, SS, Quad set, etc for awhile. But than again, those all have certain limits. Those fitness centers have high insurance rates and they are more or less in the CYA mode. Heavier DB's could give greater odd's of injury to some folks. Though many injuries are to the  toes or feet, regardless of the weight of the DB (when you drop a weight, please try to get out of the way when it falls).

Darksol may have to look up a better and more serious gym for training. Also might ask for a couple of sample workout to see if that new gym fit's all his needs. Most smaller gyms will let him do that. Good Luck.
F

Bill Loguidice

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 08:53:17 AM »
Just curious what you'd need more than 120lbs dumbbells for?  And yeah, I know I'm a weakling, but it gets very awkward to handle in my opinion when the dumbbells go past a certain weight...

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 08:58:15 AM »
My gym has fixed ones to 121lbs though you cna make ones up to over 140 i think.

Most i have ever used personally is 130lbers for inclines

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 09:38:01 AM »
Just a thought, but would that 24 Hour let Darksol use  magnetic weight plates slapped on the end of those 120's? Actually a lot of  BB'ers can not do correct ROM's (full control up and down) with 120's unless they are doing mid range or partial reps. To me, anything over 140-150 is more bother than it's worth. Just my view anyway. Good Luck.
F

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 09:55:36 AM »
To be honest i dont go over 115 for flat or incline no need what i wouldn't like is working out in a place that would kick you out for making noise :-\ if i dead lifted there they would cancell me on day one ;D
p

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 10:09:15 AM »
I am doing 110s for incline DB presses with good form.  The 120s for flat DB presses feel weak.  When I was attending University of Houston, they had DB all the way up to 150.  All DBs over 100 were located in their own area with their own benches, to keep BBers Segregated from the Girly Men.  The 150s had their own little stand, and were covered in dust from lack of use. But it was motivating seeing them there, and it gave me something to strive for. 

I don't know how confident I would feel about slapping some magnetic weights on the sides of these.

The 24 HF where I live has some pretty big dudes.  I am sure I am not the only one who would appreciate some larger DBs.

Just curious what you'd need more than 120lbs dumbbells for?  And yeah, I know I'm a weakling, but it gets very awkward to handle in my opinion when the dumbbells go past a certain weight...

When you reach the level of greatness that some of us have reached, it will no longer feel awkward
Allow me to present example A of Greatness

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 10:52:30 AM »
120 lb. sounds pretty good for a mainstream gym factoring in the low numbers of those who'd use more and the increased danger, noise and possible damage very heavy bells can pose.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 11:28:52 AM »
120lb dumbells isn't actually that bad for those so-called "fitness" gyms.

Here in the UK you're lucky if you go to one of those places and they have higher than 100lb dumbells.

Gallery Gym windsor goes up to 220lb a pair!

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 12:08:14 PM »
Gallery Gym windsor goes up to 220lb a pair!

Great so the Canadians not only have better health care, they also have better gym equipment too.  Of course If I lived in Canada where its ASS cold. I would probably prefer to stay inside a nice warm gym for the majority of my day.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »

most gyms are like this...for the main reason that no one would ever touch them. How many people do you ever see using them out of the thousands that possibly have a membership? A handful.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 01:04:02 PM »

if i'm doing heavy DB presses, 120s are inadequate. the 110s are pretty doable on incline even after i've done all my heavy sets on flat bench, and i've tossed around the 100s on shoulder presses.

it's a good thing i stick with a bar, because if i was concentrating on dumbbells i'd be mighty pissed off at my current gym. not to mention if i'm doing DB rows i have to do sets of 15-20.

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 01:04:38 PM »
To be honest i dont go over 115 for flat or incline no need what i wouldn't like is working out in a place that would kick you out for making noise :-\ if i dead lifted there they would cancell me on day one ;D
Sounds like "Planet Fitness"

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 01:06:16 PM »
yo brosky i live in houston and attend UH as well the 24 off of jones road and 1960 goes up to 150's, the db's at UH had small handles shit feels like it cuts right through my hands

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »
honestly i dead lift all the time at a few 24's and nobody has ever said anything to me I dont yell or anything but i do end up "grunting" i guess you could call it

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 01:30:40 PM »
yo brosky i live in houston and attend UH as well the 24 off of jones road and 1960 goes up to 150's, the db's at UH had small handles shit feels like it cuts right through my hands

I've trained at both those gyms dude... ;)

You should check out Tiny's power lifting gym in Humble, that's where the big boys lift. :)

I've used the 150's at UofH, a couple big boys press those dust collectors every now and then. i used to train people at that gym every weekend...

8)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 02:02:45 PM »

I've trained at both those gyms dude... ;)

You should check out Tiny's power lifting gym in Humble, that's where the big boys lift. :)

I've used the 150's at UofH, a couple big boys press those dust collectors every now and then. i used to train people at that gym every weekend...

8)
damn man i didnt know you were from houston mang, cool shit theres quite a few of us here i never would have guessed it...humbles a little ways from me i live in cypress nowadays just as well though i think id probably get laughed right outta tinys gym

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »
damn man i didnt know you were from houston mang, cool shit theres quite a few of us here i never would have guessed it...humbles a little ways from me i live in cypress nowadays just as well though i think id probably get laughed right outta tinys gym

I live in Memorial. Very close to Memorial City Mall.

Actually, Tiny is real cool about letting anyone learn power lifting at his gym. he has a bunch of high school kids pressing some serious numbers. i don't train there very often because of the drive, but he has meets there all the time and i usually judge them.

8)