Author Topic: Mike Tyson at his peak Vs Ali at his  (Read 28968 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Mike Tyson at his peak Vs Ali at his
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2008, 12:25:43 PM »
I was at the gym last night and ESPN2 was showing a 26-year-old Lennox Lewis vs. a 35-year-old "Merciless" Ray Mercer.  Lewis won on a split decision.  Both his eyes were almost swollen shut.  What a dog that guy was. 

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2008, 08:17:40 AM »
I was at the gym last night and ESPN2 was showing a 26-year-old Lennox Lewis vs. a 35-year-old "Merciless" Ray Mercer.  Lewis won on a split decision.  Both his eyes were almost swollen shut.  What a dog that guy was. 

Even a washed up Ali was never knocked out (twice) the way Lennox was (Ali was only TKO'd).  Ironic, "Lennox" is a popular brand of glassware and the guy had a glass jaw.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #177 on: July 23, 2008, 12:00:41 PM »
Even a washed up Ali was never knocked out (twice) the way Lennox was (Ali was only TKO'd).  Ironic, "Lennox" is a popular brand of glassware and the guy had a glass jaw.

Yeah.  He was knocked out by Hasim Rahman.   ::)   

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #178 on: July 23, 2008, 12:13:47 PM »
ali vs tyson would have looked a lot like lewis tyson...

ali and lewis are both tall heavy weights that rely on the jab...but only thing is Ali's came quiker and he was lighter on his feet...UD Ali winning all rounds

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2008, 12:23:54 PM »
Tyson did have trouble with tall fighters who had good jabs, but when he fought Lewis his career was already over.  Tyson in his prime was excellent at slipping jabs.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2008, 06:59:14 PM »
Tyson in his prime was excellent at slipping jabs.
Yes, Tyson in his prime had fantastic head movement.
!

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2008, 10:28:33 AM »
Yes, Tyson in his prime had fantastic head movement.

I think Alis reach and speed and foot work would fustrate a young Tyson

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »
Ali, though past his prime, did well against Foreman who was pretty much the Tyson of his era. Wasn't a pretty fight but Ali showed the world he was the most brilliant boxer out there even though he was no longer the "best" boxer. I think that in his prime he could have handled Tyson (though Tyson was great as long as he was trained by Kevin Rooney).
Great point about Rooney.  Tyson could not beat a good boxer.  It was Douglass's jab that beat Tyson.  Ali had a remarkable jab.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #183 on: July 25, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »
Great point about Rooney.  Tyson could not beat a good boxer.  It was Douglass's jab that beat Tyson.  Ali had a remarkable jab.

the best imo..pero he jabbed faster and with more freq than any heavy weight in history

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2008, 06:19:08 PM »
the best imo..pero he jabbed faster and with more freq than any heavy weight in history

I don't like Holmes, but he had a good jab, not as fast as Ali but maybe a little stiffer.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2008, 10:17:48 PM »
This guy really was one of the best, if not, the best ever heavyweight.
Complete nonsense, and there was no bigger Tyson fan than me when he was an up-an-coming heavyweight in the mid 80's.  He was a beast, but you have to evaluate him with consideration of the level of competition he fought. Impossible to rank him over Ali.
!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2008, 10:31:49 AM »
Wanted to know has anyone here actually been to a Tyson fight live.  Seeing him in his prime was unreal.  I sat in the 5th row for the Bruno fight and you could literally hear the punch and the grunt from Bruno.  In person there is nothing like watching him fight.  And that fight was fixed too.  We were about 99% sure of it. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2008, 11:44:23 AM »
Wanted to know has anyone here actually been to a Tyson fight live.  Seeing him in his prime was unreal.  I sat in the 5th row for the Bruno fight and you could literally hear the punch and the grunt from Bruno.  In person there is nothing like watching him fight.  And that fight was fixed too.  We were about 99% sure of it. 

Didn't he break Bruno's jaw and his ribs?  I think I remember Bruno having to get his mouth wired shut?

Regarding Buster Douglas, I think Tyson had already hired Don King at that point, fired Rooney, etc.  That was the beginning of the end for Tyson. 

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2008, 01:11:32 PM »
holyfield in his prime beats them both
DAWG

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2008, 03:57:01 PM »
holyfield in his prime beats them both
YOU DO NOT BELONG IN THIS THREAD
!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2008, 05:08:01 PM »
Check out this Tyson highlight clip.  Remember when he said he threw "every punch with bad intentions"?  Remember when he literally knocked Berbick silly with one hook to the head?  (That one is one here.)  I don't remember a heavyweight who ever hit this hard.  Such a tragedy.  So much potential.  What a waste. 

&feature=related

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #191 on: July 27, 2008, 05:38:26 AM »
Tyson had those idiots in his corner during the Douglas fight too.  I judged a bikini contest in Ft, Meyers Florida with Trevor Berbick.  he was fighting his first fight after he lost to Tyson.  He sounded really dumb and his trainer told he lost because he had a cold or flu during the fight.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #192 on: July 27, 2008, 05:04:10 PM »
Check out this Tyson highlight clip.  Remember when he said he threw "every punch with bad intentions"?  Remember when he literally knocked Berbick silly with one hook to the head?  (That one is one here.)  I don't remember a heavyweight who ever hit this hard.  Such a tragedy.  So much potential.  What a waste. 

&feature=related

wow those were some top notch opponent's ::)holyfield fought higher level of competition than Tyson or Ali
DAWG

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: July 27, 2008, 05:24:14 PM »
wow those were some top notch opponent's ::)holyfield fought higher level of competition than Tyson or Ali
when you finish swinging off of Holyfield's nuts...kill yourself
!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #194 on: July 27, 2008, 06:27:56 PM »

There have not been "top notch" heavyweights since Ali's days.  Holyfield fought the same kind of dogs that Tyson did. 

Which of Holyfield's opponents do you put in the class of Foreman, Frazier, Norton, and Shavers? 

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2008, 07:08:17 PM »
people think ali is the greatest because they were told he was the greatest.it doesnt make it so.why no rematch with forman?because ali was smart enough to know he wouldnt fall for the rope a dope agin.ken norton beat ali as frazier did but you ever see those fights replayed just the fights he won. ali fought  three or four fighters worth mentioning.I own dvds of about twenty ali fights some of which he obviously lost but judges gave him, most people havent even watched more than 2-3 of his fights tops they just go by what the media tells them.
DAWG

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: July 27, 2008, 09:52:02 PM »
people think ali is the greatest because they were told he was the greatest.it doesnt make it so.why no rematch with forman?because ali was smart enough to know he wouldnt fall for the rope a dope agin.ken norton beat ali as frazier did but you ever see those fights replayed just the fights he won. ali fought  three or four fighters worth mentioning.I own dvds of about twenty ali fights some of which he obviously lost but judges gave him, most people havent even watched more than 2-3 of his fights tops they just go by what the media tells them.

I've watched a bunch of Ali fights. 

Which of Holyfield's opponents do you put in the class of Foreman, Frazier, Norton, and Shavers? 

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2008, 11:23:33 PM »

Iron Mike of course

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #198 on: July 28, 2008, 02:28:02 PM »

we could argue all day about which fighters might be better than others but holyfield fought anyone and everyone during his era the overall list of opponets is stronger than ali.off the top of my head,Michael dokes,busterdouglas,georgeforman,johnruiz,larryholmes,riddickbowe,michaelmoorer,raymercer,miketyson,           lennoxlewis.thats just the ones i can think of sure theres more.
DAWG

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #199 on: July 28, 2008, 02:44:09 PM »
Iron Mike of course

True, except Mike was already with Don King at that point.