Author Topic: Shin splints...  (Read 2513 times)

Tombo

• Getbig V
Shin splints...
« on: July 03, 2008, 04:57:26 AM »
the best excuse for not doing cardio, the problem is, they only fucking hurt when you're finished :( anyone else have problems with em? and if you do, other than 'rest' what are your awesome remedies i know you guys have..

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: Shin splints...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 07:51:44 AM »
I get shin splints whenever my running/cardio shoes begin to crap out on me.  As soon as I start to get them, I know it's time for a new pair.

You may be over-pronating your feet when you are doing cardio.  You may want to consider a pair of shoes that are designed for over-pronators.  I wear Saucony Stabils and replace them every 3-4 months if I am doing alot of cardio.
:)

The Coach

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:09:03 AM »
Don't confuse Shin splints with Compartment syndrom. Pay careful attention to your foot strikes while running.

laurion

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 03:27:04 PM »
I get shin splints whenever my running/cardio shoes begin to crap out on me.  As soon as I start to get them, I know it's time for a new pair.

You may be over-pronating your feet when you are doing cardio.  You may want to consider a pair of shoes that are designed for over-pronators.  I wear Saucony Stabils and replace them every 3-4 months if I am doing alot of cardio.

Agreed, i kept getting them for a while and couldn't figure out why till someone told me to get new shoes.  Long story short got new running shoes and got my feet evaluated at The Runners Market" problem solved.

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 12:04:46 AM »
Don't confuse Shin splints with Compartment syndrom. Pay careful attention to your foot strikes while running.

Yeah but I'm not having any fluid buildup or swelling? isn't that one of the primary symptoms? and since I bought a new pair of shoes, and don't run on hard surfaces, It's only sometimes in my right tibialis, and it subsides after resting/sleep .. i've had ankle problems too, my range of motion is more than normal in my ligaments, and know how to strap them etc etc, but I just can't see the need to for cardio on grass. Thanks for the comments and advice though! :)

fromfattoliving

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 09:21:11 AM »
Hey man if they are shin splints try different cardio for a while because rest and ice will be the main help. But you can also do some towel stretches pulling on the toes and resistance stretches sitting and pulling up with your toes. I get them when I am starting my outdoor cardio stuff again for the year (every year!).