Author Topic: B&A Show has been cancelled!  (Read 35113 times)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Re: B&A Show has been cancelled!
« Reply #200 on: July 08, 2008, 08:32:37 PM »
How can you possibly know this?

How do you define 'team'?  Anyone working the Sat event wasn't planning to work the Sun event?

Come on bob, you cannot possibly know this, unless you define his team narrowly and have spoken to each of them. 

I happen to know everyone on the Lindsay production team personally, to my knowledge...no one was working any other shows, including the B and A show.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2008, 08:34:22 PM »
I happen to know everyone on the Lindsay production team personally, to my knowledge...no one was working any other shows, including the B and A show.

Straight from the horses mouth my friends. End of thread, end of story.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2008, 10:29:06 PM »
I happen to know everyone on the Lindsay production team personally,

he was 40ish, overweight, and at a gay bar.   that should narrow it down a bit  ::)

and I said a backstage handler, a gopher, one of the guys who probably make $10/hour.   not someone who works in Lindsay's office.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2008, 10:31:25 PM »
he was 40ish, overweight, and at a gay bar.   that should narrow it down a bit  ::)

Doesn't sound familiar...

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: B&A SHOW CANCELED!!!
« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2008, 10:53:59 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up...Jackie Robinson was the first white dude to ever play in the major leagues...Took a lot of shit and even had death threats from the racist black community...

Actually he was "black". 

ibfasport

• Getbig III
« Reply #205 on: July 09, 2008, 04:03:57 AM »
I HAVE JUST DEND THIS LETTER TO BEN:

Dear Ben,

I inform you that our contest in Italy was a big success,
everithing was perfect

find results and photos on the ibfa forum

I have read once again your cancellation letter

you say that You have lost 40.000 dollars with the contest

the contract of the theater is 2500 dollars ( I have read
the scan)

your poster cost no more than 600 - 800 dollars

your website cost no more than 300 - 400 dollars

are in total 3500 dollars 

how you have spent the remainders 36.500 dolars

can you tell me my friend?

wait your answere

TEMUGIN FILIZOLA
SALERNO
ITALY

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #206 on: July 09, 2008, 08:03:34 AM »
I HAVE JUST DEND THIS LETTER TO BEN:

Dear Ben,

I inform you that our contest in Italy was a big success,
everithing was perfect

find results and photos on the ibfa forum

I have read once again your cancellation letter

you say that You have lost 40.000 dollars with the contest

the contract of the theater is 2500 dollars ( I have read
the scan)

your poster cost no more than 600 - 800 dollars

your website cost no more than 300 - 400 dollars

are in total 3500 dollars 

how you have spent the remainders 36.500 dolars

can you tell me my friend?

wait your answere

TEMUGIN FILIZOLA
SALERNO
ITALY

Can't find Waldo neither?????    ;D
A

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #207 on: July 09, 2008, 09:18:52 AM »

I suppose it could happen, but no one is going to bust their butts working Fri-Sat at the USAs and then turn around and do it on Sunday as well when they could be relaxing and having fun in Vegas. 

IBFAsport has been one of Ben's biggest supporters all along.  For him to begin questioning...

ibfasport

• Getbig III
« Reply #208 on: July 09, 2008, 02:48:06 PM »
my friend Ben1, will never get back the money spent for the prizes of his contest: motorcycle and car

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #209 on: July 09, 2008, 03:13:21 PM »
my friend Ben1, will never get back the money spent for the prizes of his contest: motorcycle and car

Is your group still coming to Vegas that weekend? 

ibfasport

• Getbig III
« Reply #210 on: July 09, 2008, 03:18:42 PM »
the athletes are very demoralized and won't come to las vegas to make the vacations

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #211 on: July 09, 2008, 04:27:06 PM »
poor guy will just have to keep them for himself.  :(
A

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #212 on: July 09, 2008, 11:31:01 PM »
Dear Athletes and Officials,

After receiving several death threads within the last month and other series of negative things that have
what happened to us,we decided after carefully deliberating,to cancel the show. We do not take this lightly because we care about the Athletes but our personal safety is more important. Not only our personal safety, but as well of the participants. We consultat several people about our problem and finaly came to this dicision. I know I will loose our face over this and we put already $40000 in this show, which we will never get back but we still have our lives. No Bodybuilding show is worth to put your family or Athletes in danger.

All entry fees and ticket fees will be returned within 10 days.

Sincerely

Epic grade 7 spelling level.
B&A Production

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2008, 08:30:58 AM »
I am too a little pissed off at this.  I really thought Ben would do this.  He took a lot shit from everyone and he hung in there.  To say someone threatened his life or family's with no proof or even a police report I have to say he is lying.  He has told me he had competitors in fact well over 100.  Everyone of them got paid back.  I think maybe his prizes didn't materialize.  I think he got a lot of them donated in return for the publicity and whatever and he just didn't perform enough to satisfy the companies to donate the vehicles.  And to pay for them would be just to costly.  It appeared most everything else was paid for.  I am also sure his sponsors that were also connected with the NPC or IFBB DID back out because they were threatened.  That is probably 100% true since we know that happens.  The problem is why didn't he get their sponsorship money paid.  If they had already put in the cash then who cares if they back out.  You don't have to pay them back for backing out.  But it sounds like he hadn't got paid by them yet which is dumb.  Either way I am pissed that he didn't have the balls to hang in there.  To cave-in from idle threats is just stupid.  I would hate to have to live this way where if anyone threatens me I have to quit what I spent so much time on.  Oh well, some guys have it and some guys don't.  But now he will never be able to do anything like this again cause now NO ONE will enter.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2008, 08:39:19 AM »
 But now he will never be able to do anything like this again cause now NO ONE will enter.

Exactly, he has also damaged it for people who may try in the future. With the prior bust of PDI and this small additional flop, the NPC/IFBB is cementing themself as #1, the exact principle both parties claimed they wanted to work 'againest' ::)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2008, 09:22:03 AM »
Hindsight ...... I do feel rather stupid believing that this event was ever going to be held. Looking back through all this and recalling all those promises that Ben made regarding cash awards, autos, etc., it's damn evident that he was going to have to take a hefty amount of $$$$ out of his own pocket to cover those expenses no matter what the sponsors offered to contribute.

A few of us know what it costs to promote a bodybuilding event ($25,000 minimum based on my personal experience) and how much that basic cost would be increased when you threw in expensive automobiles and/or cash awards.

It's pretty obvious that the promoter would not end up with a profit and would have to spend a lot of his own cash to meet all his commitments.

The one thing I noticed that sort of convinced me that sufficient funds might be available to meet these expenses was the high entry fee. Set those fees high enough and you actually could end up offering the winner a plastic cup filled with a million dollars.

But high entry fees means - fewer contestants which just about kills that idea at the start.

The IFBB itself could not have devised a better plan to avoid competition in the future.  In this case all they had to do was sit back and let Ben do all that work on their behalf by his lonesome.

The IFBB should present Ben with an appreciation award during the Olympia finals. And Vince should gladly accept it on his behalf.

New Point: Here's a thought that could possibly work ......... I offer it to Chick and the IFBB for consideration. Every five to ten years the IFBB should promote a world wide contest open to one and all - amatuer or pro (no need to be a part of any sanctioning body at the initial couple of events and both pros and amateurs can compete). Let the world know what type of physique is considered the IDEAL and set judging standards to award the one ideal individual who meets that ideal criteria. And give the winner a Million Dollars!

A million dollars is a lot of moooo-la so the entry fees would have to be rather high and if the million dollars is impossible to round up from the contestants, the void should be filled by the  Suppliment companies and possibly by the Weiders themselves who can afford it easily). And maybe even donations from the Get Big members.

Get guys like Chick and Keith to get the finances rolling (Keith is phenominal at doing that and Bob would be the counter-balance with his numerous contacts and gregarious disposition). These two would work great together if their sole mission was to secure the necessary prize money commitments. 

All such funds would be placed into an escrow account with detailed instructions regarding how and when it would be withdrawn and specifically slated for the $1,000,000 cash award in the form of a Cashier's Check immediately upon the announcement of the winner or refund to the donors if the show did not materialize.

Now, in order to keep Keith and Bob motivated, I would suggest that they both share a 12 to 15% commission of all funds deposited into that Escrow account with strict instructions regarding how and when that commission is to be paid.

Just a start of an idea here which could actually happen if there is ample interest.

Worth considering, Bob, or NOT!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #216 on: July 10, 2008, 09:29:25 AM »
Interesting that the PDI was able to lure a few IFBB pros... the B&A was able to lure teams of Euro guys.

If Wayne hadn't gotten cancer, year 2 of the PDI would have delivered 6 shows (venues were booked, promoters in Euro had their ball rolling)

One of these days, someone is going to get the forumla right. 

Interesting.  WBF fails in 1992 and you have nothing for 14 years.  Suddenly you have 5 organizations (asia, titus, dillet, PDI, B&A) popping up in 2 years.  You can deny it all day, but the IFBB must be a little concerned.  Someone is going to get it right one of these days.  All it takes is for a motivated Tre, 1Fast400, or someone like that to just say "why the hell not" and boom... things change forever.

Very interesting to watch.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2008, 09:29:48 AM »
Hindsight ...... I do feel rather stupid believing that this event was ever going to be held. Looking back through all this and recalling all those promises that Ben made regarding cash awards, autos, etc., it's damn evident that he was going to have to take a hefty amount of $$$$ out of his own pocket to cover those expenses no matter what the sponsors offered to contribute.

A few of us know what it costs to promote a bodybuilding event ($25,000 minimum based on my personal experience) and how much that basic cost would be increased when you threw in expensive automobiles and/or cash awards.

It's pretty obvious that the promoter would not end up with a profit and would have to spend a lot of his own cash to meet all his commitments.

The one thing I noticed that sort of convinced me that sufficient funds might be available to meet these expenses was the high entry fee. Set those fees high enough and you actually could end up offering the winner a plastic cup filled with a million dollars.

But high entry fees means - fewer contestants which just about kills that idea at the start.

The IFBB itself could not have devised a better plan to avoid competition in the future.  In this case all they had to do was sit back and let Ben do all that work on their behalf by his lonesome.

The IFBB should present Ben with an appreciation award during the Olympia finals. And Vince should gladly accept it on his behalf.

New Point: Here's a thought that could possibly work ......... I offer it to Chick and the IFBB for consideration. Every five to ten years the IFBB should promote a world wide contest open to one and all - amatuer or pro (no need to be a part of any sanctioning body at the initial couple of events and both pros and amateurs can compete). Let the world know what type of physique is considered the IDEAL set judging standards to award the one individual who meets that criteria. And give the winner a Million Dollars!

A million dollars is a lot of moola so the entry fees would have to be rather high and if the million dollars is impossible to round up from the contestants, the void should be filled by the  Suppliment companies and possibly by the Weiders themselves who can afford it easily). And maybe even donations from the Get Big members.

Get guys like Chick and Keith to get the finances rolling (Keith is phenominal at doing that and Bob would be the counter-balance with numerous contacts). These two would work great together if their sole mission was to secure the necessary prize money commitments.  All funds would be placed into an escrow account with detailed instructions regarding how and when it would be withdrawn and specifically slated for the $1,000,000 cash award in the form of a Cashier's Check immediately upon the announcement of the winner or refund to the donors if the show did not materialize.

Now, in order to keep Keith and Bob motivated, I would suggest that they both share a 10% commission of all funds deposited into that Escrow account with strict instructions how and when that commission will be paid.

Just a start of an idea here which could actually happen if there is ample interest.

I've got a better idea, Bill.....

How about 1 million people just give me and Keith $1 each, and we'll split it?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #218 on: July 10, 2008, 09:35:44 AM »
I've got a better idea, Bill.....

How about 1 million people just give me and Keith $1 each, and we'll split it?

Send me that contract I will sign it immediately.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: July 10, 2008, 09:36:14 AM »
Interesting that the PDI was able to lure a few IFBB pros... the B&A was able to lure teams of Euro guys.

If Wayne hadn't gotten cancer, year 2 of the PDI would have delivered 6 shows (venues were booked, promoters in Euro had their ball rolling)

One of these days, someone is going to get the forumla right. 

Interesting.  WBF fails in 1992 and you have nothing for 14 years.  Suddenly you have 5 organizations (asia, titus, dillet, PDI, B&A) popping up in 2 years.  You can deny it all day, but the IFBB must be a little concerned.  Someone is going to get it right one of these days.  All it takes is for a motivated Tre, 1Fast400, or someone like that to just say "why the hell not" and boom... things change forever.

Very interesting to watch.

I'm a little surprised your THAT gullible, Rob...Wayne whether getting a return bout of cancer or not, tanked out...could have handed off the PDI to anyone who wanted it (Rhino, perhaps?)....he had no sponsors, no money, no mass exodus of world class bbers,  and little to no interest.....game over. And what makes you think Ben lured anyone but a handful of europeans to compete? His word? There were no "teams" of anyone...just a bunch of hot air and promises, or a scam... take your pick.

There is no "formula" to get right...the bottom line is, there aren't enough "best bodybuilders" in the world to substanciate another federation...period. There isn't enough interest in the IFBB, which IS the biggest and best BB federation we have...by the fan base, etc...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2008, 09:40:49 AM »
I'm a little surprised your THAT gullible, Rob...Wayne whether getting a return bout of cancer or not, tanked out...could have handed off the PDI to anyone who wanted it (Rhino, perhaps?)....he had no sponsors, no money, no mass exodus of world class bbers,  and little to no interest.....game over. And what makes you think Ben lured anyone but a handful of europeans to compete? His word? There were no "teams" of anyone...just a bunch of hot air and promises, or a scam... take your pick.

There is no "formula" to get right...the bottom line is, there aren't enough "best bodybuilders" in the world to substanciate another federation...period. There isn't enough interest in the IFBB, which IS the biggest and best BB federation we have...by the fan base, etc...

You can call me gullible, that's fine.

Wayne got 1500 butts in chairs in NYC, with Lee Priest on a stage.  He got ESPN the Mag to cover it.

You can trivialize it all you'd like by throwing Rhino's name at it.  But there HAVE been 5 attempts in 2 years.  This is notable.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2008, 09:55:17 AM »
240.... Do you really think someone else is going to try again?

Five attempts, five failures!

That's more notable.

No one in his right mind would step in against the IFBB now.

Even in the movie business - Only three failures and you're on your way out. You're gone before the 5th. Gone and forgotten.

Not that the IFBB is all-powerful, but rather (and as Chick states) there's just not enough world-wide interest in competitive bodybuilding to have another successful organization.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2008, 09:56:48 AM »
But there HAVE been 5 attempts in 2 years.  This is notable.

there was a big shakeup in bodybuilding when Hoffman left the scene.  There is a bit of a shakeup going on now that the Weiders have turned over most of the control to others.   There will probably be a bigger shakeup when Manion leaves the scene.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2008, 10:03:27 AM »
240.... Do you really think someone else is going to try again?
Five attempts, five failures!
That's more notable.
No one in his right mind would step in against the IFBB now.
Even in the movie business - Only three failures and you're on your way out. You're gone before the 5th. Gone and forgotten.
Not that the IFBB is all-powerful, but rather (and as Chick states) there's just not enough world-wide interest in competitive bodybuilding to have another successful organization.

You're welcome to your opinion, and you may be absolutely right.

My point is that there are no new organizations for 14 years...
then suddenly we have five attempts in two years.

It's notable.  IMO, the fact that for 14 years, no one had the guts or position to start a rival organization... then suddenly we have FIVE new orgas pop up in the last 24 months... Something has to be the catalyst for that.   As years pass, and people retire, the BIG organization will be run more and more as a company, not a family-run business.  And since the barriers to entry for a BBing federation are so low (under $50k delivers a show, and athletes are plentiful), will it be long until another entry comes along?

Moosejay

« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2008, 10:06:36 AM »

New Point: Here's a thought that could possibly work ......... I offer it to Chick and the IFBB for consideration. Every five to ten years the IFBB should promote a world wide contest open to one and all - amatuer or pro (no need to be a part of any sanctioning body at the initial couple of events and both pros and amateurs can compete). Let the world know what type of physique is considered the IDEAL and set judging standards to award the one ideal individual who meets that ideal criteria. And give the winner a Million Dollars!

A million dollars is a lot of moooo-la so the entry fees would have to be rather high and if the million dollars is impossible to round up from the contestants, the void should be filled by the  Suppliment companies and possibly by the Weiders themselves who can afford it easily). And maybe even donations from the Get Big members.

Get guys like Chick and Keith to get the finances rolling (Keith is phenominal at doing that and Bob would be the counter-balance with his numerous contacts and gregarious disposition). These two would work great together if their sole mission was to secure the necessary prize money commitments. 

All such funds would be placed into an escrow account with detailed instructions regarding how and when it would be withdrawn and specifically slated for the $1,000,000 cash award in the form of a Cashier's Check immediately upon the announcement of the winner or refund to the donors if the show did not materialize.

Now, in order to keep Keith and Bob motivated, I would suggest that they both share a 12 to 15% commission of all funds deposited into that Escrow account with strict instructions regarding how and when that commission is to be paid.

Worth considering, Bob, or NOT!

All very true

I ran, for 4 years, a show for college students in which I gave cash scholarships as awards.

Super successful-contestant and spectator wise.

Sponsors?

Let me put it this way:

$80,000 out of my own pocket after 4 years.

NOT good business.