Author Topic: Hammer Strenghth  (Read 4644 times)

envier

• Getbig II
Hammer Strenghth
« on: July 06, 2008, 06:10:11 AM »
Want to here some opionions on Plate loaded Hammer Strenghth equitment. I have always used freeweights and have recently tried these out. Was supprised at the amount of weight I could lift.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
Re: Hammer Strenghth
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 06:13:25 AM »
Want to here some opionions on Plate loaded Hammer Strenghth equitment. I have always used freeweights and have recently tried these out. Was supprised at the amount of weight I could lift.

if you increase your poundages you will grow (if you eat enough etc etc). regardless if its a machine or free weights.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 08:50:44 AM »
They are good IMO. I use them in addition to free weight movements. It shouldn't be either free weights or machines,it should be both. There will be some guys who say you need all freeweights to grow, but it's not true. Resistance is resistance and as long as you're adding weight and getting stronger as slave said you'll be ok.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:32:16 PM »
I personally like them. They've been really helpful in the past (for me) when dealing with injuries & such.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 07:25:27 PM »
I’ve always liked Hammer machines, maybe because that’s what I “grew up” on.
However, I do favor the plate loaded ones much more than the pin/weight stack combo. Maybe it’s psychological, but I just prefer the feel.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 08:11:17 PM »

still not as good as free weights imho but if you feel like you're getting a better response from them, use'em. There's no set way of doing things. They're still a machine as far as I'm concerned. It's just a different way of adjusting the weight.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
Sometimes the machines are better actually, despite all the online claims to the contrary, exactly as Sergio said. The best is a combo of machines and weights that marries the stengths of each. Hack machine and pullover machine are two clear examples in which the machines are better.

Plate loaded agreed, slightly better because of the difference in the resistance curves, but both versions of machines can be great, and not just the hammer brand by any means.

I'd only suggest them to a women, an attention getter, or someone that is injured?

To women lol Sergio and others like Yates disagree with your generalizations completely.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »

progress = progress. if you're getting stronger in a lift in the long haul, you're going to grow. i maintain that machines, while a nice little addition to a lifting program, are no substitute, if for whatever reason freeweights just aren't going to happen (no spotter, injury, whatever), then there's no reason not to use 'em.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 07:02:19 AM »
i strongly believe on the right mixture of free weights and some plate-load-machines like Hammer-Strength, Panatta, .....

of course it´s possible to load more plates on these machines as on the bars, because the "curve" of resistance was made so that you can push or pull heavier weights on your weakest point, what is not possible with free weights.
Also, for Athletes over 40 yrs. HS-Equipment is good, because the joints and ligaments where not damaged that much as with heavy free weights.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 08:07:09 AM »
They should never be a substitute for free weights, they should be used in addition to them.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »
I think that the Hammer Strength machines are the best ones out there for the most part.  Nothing replaces free weights, obviously, but these are good machines.  And alot of them allow you to work each side of your body independently, which reduces the possibility of developing dominance on one side and improves symmetry.

:)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 08:55:16 AM »

To women lol Sergio and others like Yates disagree with your generalizations completely.

yates turned to machine when he got injured to work around the injures + hammer strength sponsored him by supplying the machines to his gym. also he only used a couple of them.
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 05:48:19 PM »
yates turned to machine when he got injured to work around the injures + hammer strength sponsored him by supplying the machines to his gym. also he only used a couple of them.

Tangents, he loved using them to the extent that hammer named one of their row machines after him. also loved smith squats better than standard weight version. As far as using only "a couple of them" that's more than enough for strong endorsements.

Most HIT guys including Mentzer, Viator and Yates used machines because they were open minded enough to use what is highly effective.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 01:52:14 PM »
Lots of Hammer machines in Temple Gym - I have used them for years and I think they are very good. Obviously I will always choose free weights over machines any day but for adding a bit of variety into your workouts and mixing things up a bit, especially on chest and back days, the Hammer machines are great. Probably the best alternative to barbells and dumbells IMO.

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 04:09:58 PM »
I like their row machines, comfortable and safe for the lower back.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 06:52:01 AM »
Hammer Strength is great.

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 07:38:05 AM »
Oh boy, another hammer strenggth warrior has set foot on holy getbig soal.  ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 07:41:27 AM »
Oh boy, another hammer strenggth warrior has set foot on holy getbig soal.  ::)

"Great post"  ::)

Redwingenator

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 03:06:15 PM »
There's hero's in my gym that load up the one arm jobby lat pull hammer strength with five plates on each side. I never use that machine because the dumbells go up to 150# in the place I call "home". Hammer strenght is an ego booster!

I never thought of that, but you do make a valid point  :)

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 03:39:11 PM »
I don't care for hammer strength equipment, but they do have a row machine that I find interesting.  It looks something like this...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 03:48:09 PM »
Hammer strenght is an ego booster!

It's quite irrelevant which one allows the use of more weight, unless your ego's outta control in the first place and is keeping score. The more important thing isn't the amount of weight, it's the effect.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 04:11:47 PM »
Tangents, he loved using them to the extent that hammer named one of their row machines after him. also loved smith squats better than standard weight version. As far as using only "a couple of them" that's more than enough for strong endorsements.

Most HIT guys including Mentzer, Viator and Yates used machines because they were open minded enough to use what is highly effective.

Why wouldn't they? Good marketing. He stopped regular squats in 1986 after injuring his hip and then and only then did he go look for alternatives.

When he fucked up his triceps he had to stop db and bb overhead and benchpress and replace them with machines.

Back in the day before he got injured his back routine was all free weights.

His shoulder routine was all dumbbells + cable side laterals.

For chest his meat and potatoes mass builder was bb incline bench presses.

Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 05:28:36 PM »
Why wouldn't they? Good marketing. He stopped regular squats in 1986 after injuring his hip and then and only then did he go look for alternatives.

When he fucked up his triceps he had to stop db and bb overhead and benchpress and replace them with machines.

Back in the day before he got injured his back routine was all free weights.

His shoulder routine was all dumbbells + cable side laterals.

For chest his meat and potatoes mass builder was bb incline bench presses.

That's only part of it actually, he used some of them due to injury then said later some of them were better ie smith squats.

All moot anyway,guys like Mentzer and Viator disagree with you. Aren't you the guy doing marathon 27 sets a muscle for size?  ::)

Knowledge

• Getbig II
  • Don't hate me cause you ain't me
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 05:59:19 PM »
I like hammer strength due to it a fixed motion as opposed to free weights.  Much safer for the elderly and/or injured or even one who is training alone.  I use both.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 07:28:24 PM »
I like hammer strength due to it a fixed motion as opposed to free weights.

What's funny is that one of the stock weight arguments is the need for "stabilizer muscles" when in fact there's always an equal counter-argument that the fixed plane allows one to focus more on increasing load on the muscle, the argument's never as one-dimensional as some like to make it.