Author Topic: Just watched pumping iron again  (Read 5154 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Just watched pumping iron again
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2008, 09:28:40 PM »
Only watched it once.  Arnold and Waller came off like a couple of catty beauty queens, Katz and Ferrigno like poster boys for confidence problems.  It's a mess from beginning to end.

Definitely could've been better without disturbing it as an Arnold star vehicle by staying a little truer to the book, by showing some of the great BBs it ignored and by featuring and not pitting Schwwarzenegger against the least impressive, least engaging duds that were featured opposite him.

Still great though.

Moosejay

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2008, 09:30:05 PM »
Not true.....Butler and Gaines had the film in the pipeline for several years, and had shot about 10 minutes of footage the prior year (73,74??), and showed that to investors in new York who put in the $150K to make Pumping Iron. So it had been established for sometime the film was going to shoot.

But Arnold had also been trying to break into the mainstream movie business, with limited success. Arnold had been offered a part in the film "Stay Hungry" and it wrapped a few months before the Mr. Olympia-and Arnold needing as much exposure as he could get took the Stay Hungry  role and dropped a few pounds for filming, knowing full well he was going to have a more limited time frame to prepare for the 75 Olympia.

So Arnold's lower bodyweight was a result of him preparing and doing "Stay Hungry", not the filming of Pumping Iron at the last minute.

yes...pi was filmed over a several-yr period

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2008, 09:31:37 PM »
But Arnold had also been trying to break into the mainstream movie business, with limited success. Arnold had been offered a part in the film "Stay Hungry" and it wrapped a few months before the Mr. Olympia-and Arnold needing as much exposure as he could get took the Stay Hungry  role and dropped a few pounds for filming, knowing full well he was going to have a more limited time frame to prepare for the 75 Olympia.

So Arnold's lower bodyweight was a result of him preparing and doing "Stay Hungry", not the filming of Pumping Iron at the last minute.

Arnold was desperate to be discovered. Whether it was planned over several years the fact is that he was last minute, having already slimmed down for acting purposes. He intended to stay slimmer but bulked back up in a few months in order to do the movie when they came to him.

Moosejay

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2008, 09:32:14 PM »
Definitely could've been better without disturbing it as an Arnold star vehicle by staying a little truer to the book, by showing some of the great BBs it ignored and by featuring and not pitting Schwwarzenegger against the least impressive, least engaging duds that were featured opposite him.

Still great though.

yeah but you know they played around with it to make a boring film more compelling

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2008, 09:33:20 PM »
Actually...if Pumping Iron didn't get picked up....I doubt Arnold would have even bothered competing in 75 after doing Stay Hungry

Agreed, johnny's off.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2008, 09:34:33 PM »
I like pumping iron.  I just didn't like Pumping Iron.

Arnold had a great physique, but that's the extent of my admiration for the guy.

Good pickup on nuance, most here don't get that. The book was much better, movie was great but could've been better. Arnold's great but also a POS.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2008, 09:36:35 PM »
well....I believe I would call it being selfish or being in love with oneself a little too much.  He will stop at nothing to get his way.  Arnold admits it being one of his faults....but it's also his biggest strengths propelling him forward in everything he does.

Of course, ask the 15 or more womena he harassed, including the stupid move on the BBC reporter that was settled out of court. The dumbasses here like to rhapsodize on what a great human being he is as if it was that simple. Anyone who's followed BB from back in the day knows better. He came across as quite arrogant in person back-stage at the Universe i attented the year after Pumping.

Moosejay

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2008, 09:36:47 PM »
Good pickup on nuance, most here don't get that. The book was much better, movie was great but could've been better. Arnold's great but also a POS.

agree...never adfmired Arnold the man. would sell his momma if it furthered his interests

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »
I took a huge dump today. 8)

Best post so far.

Moosejay

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2008, 09:38:26 PM »
Of course, ask the 15 or more womena he harassed, including the stupid move on the BBC reporter that was settled out of court. The dumbasses here like to rhapsodize on what a great human being he is as if it was that simple. Anyone who's followed BB from back in the day knows better. He came across as quite arrogant in person back-stage at the Universe i attented the year after Pumping.

i recall you posting that story...in canada, yes?

Wonder how many women he has had to pay off....not like he doesn't have the$

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2008, 09:41:34 PM »
I took a huge dump today. 8)

I bet the girl in your avatar took a bigger one.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2008, 07:26:26 AM »
epic jealousy of the king here.

so sad. :'(
175lbs by 31st July

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2008, 07:31:15 AM »
Butler & Gaines did as much as anyone to further BB, both the classic movie, the idea behind it, the financing, convincing Schwarzenegger to do it and doing him the biggest ever favor in the process. Just a classic movie; walked by that Gold's a month ago and still get goosebumps. Could have been even better with just a little more accuracy and faithfulness to the book though, through the inclusion of some that were overlooked like Mentzer, more Robinson, Oliva, Nubret, Padilla, all of whom were invisible or afterthoughts, but hey it was intended to be an Arnold star vehicle so they put him up against dopes like Ferrigno, Katz and Columbu to make him look even better, and left out other intelligent peers.

That was only part of it actually.

Why? The thought of actually ever stepping into a gym freaks the shit out of you? 

Put the BOWFLEX aside, you'd be surprised with the gains you can make @ the gym..

"1"

Moosejay

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2008, 07:39:50 AM »

not possible....he is in such a higher spectrum than anyone...he is not our peer...so much higher, how could anyone be jealous?

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2008, 01:30:24 PM »
not possible....he is in such a higher spectrum than anyone...he is not our peer...so much higher, how could anyone be jealous?

true - arnold is a god amoung men. 8)
175lbs by 31st July

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »

Calm down groupie, it's ok for you to deal with both sides of the equation. ;D

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2008, 01:37:46 PM »
was arnold his biggest ever at that olympia? he looked huge. 8)

You are new to bodybuilding aren't you? Arnold was FAR "bigger"  ::) in 1974 (about 20 pounds heavier), than he was in 1975. He cut down in weight because he was filming staying hungry.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2008, 01:43:44 PM »

Yeah and you come across as a really nice guy  ::)

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2008, 02:38:20 PM »
You are new to bodybuilding aren't you? Arnold was FAR "bigger"  ::) in 1974 (about 20 pounds heavier), than he was in 1975. He cut down in weight because he was filming staying hungry.

no i'm not new, but i havn't seen mr olympia 1974 have you dickhead?
175lbs by 31st July

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »

Well....I still admire Arnold in alot of different ways.

But who doesn't have someone they admire but doesn't like everything about the person?

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2008, 05:42:36 AM »
I bet the girl in your avatar took a bigger one.

I'll guarantee you're right. :o
\

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2008, 08:17:21 AM »
Best post so far.

Second that - inside sources tell me that CNN is after the story  8)