Author Topic: Sports "Cheating" Question  (Read 9109 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Sports "Cheating" Question
« on: July 06, 2008, 09:30:50 PM »
I posted this on the Religion board too. 

Here is the situation.  I play in a softball league on a very good team.  Not sure why they let me play . . . .   But many of my teammates (probably most of them) and many players in the league use "loaded" bats.  These are bats that have had the top removed and material inserted to allow you to hit the ball harder and farther.  Our umps don't check the bats in this league. 

Our league rules incorporate ASA rules, which expressly prohibit "altered bats."  I don't use altered bats for this reason.  I'm tempted, because they really do make a difference, but it just seems wrong to me. 

Would you use them?

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
Re: Sports "Cheating" Question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 11:05:20 PM »
I wouldn't. But that's me. Just cause everyone else is.....doesn't make it ok.
HAHA, RON.....

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:06:50 PM »
I definitely would not use it. i would rather take pride in knowing that my ability is getting results not an altered bat. it would also be my luck that if i did alter a bat, i would be the one who gets exposed by a shattered bat at home plate and my filler material flying everywhere. the few times i tried to cheat it always back fired, just like the coyote.

Dr Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 06:24:03 PM »
I definitely would not use it. i would rather take pride in knowing that my ability is getting results not an altered bat.

exactly

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 06:13:43 AM »
I posted this on the Religion board too. 

Here is the situation.  I play in a softball league on a very good team.  Not sure why they let me play . . . .   But many of my teammates (probably most of them) and many players in the league use "loaded" bats.  These are bats that have had the top removed and material inserted to allow you to hit the ball harder and farther.  Our umps don't check the bats in this league. 

Our league rules incorporate ASA rules, which expressly prohibit "altered bats."  I don't use altered bats for this reason.  I'm tempted, because they really do make a difference, but it just seems wrong to me. 

Would you use them?

No fuvkin way.dude,it's just softball :-\
I play myself and our league doesn't have that problem and we go by ASA rules also.
but the town next to us got so bad that the league had to supply the bats to the teams :-\

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 07:01:33 AM »
What is the world coming to? Corked bats in rec softball leagues?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 08:19:41 AM »
I wouldn't use it either.  Beach do you remember the Hungry Lion Celebrity All Star Team.  I played on that with Tom Selleck, Pat Morita, Henry Kapono and quite a few others.  I remember we were playing against the FBI in a game and they hired the San Diego Chicken to come be a part of it (he was getting $10,000 an appearance back then).  We played at the UH field.  I played ball all the way up till I was 26 and could hit but never was that good in softball.  But my first time up I hit it over the left field fence.  I remember just turning and going back to the dugout without running around the bases.  I have a video of me popping a hot water bottle at that game.  It got huge.  Carolyn Sapp was there too and she was the one holding the video camera.  Robert Kekaula too played.  I liked playing with that team cause I could go into the Hungry Lion and get free meals anytime I wanted.  Is it still there.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 10:23:41 AM »
I play a lot of softball - competitvie fast pitch and slow pitch, as well as recreational.

At no level would I even consider using an illegal bat.  The rules are in place to protect the players.  The advancements in bat technology have made certain brands dangerous, and people have been killed as batted ball speeds increase.  I've seen players in the infield that I've played with for 14 years having problems with some of the rockets that are hit these days.

We've busted teams for this.  One team even spent six hundered dollars to have a Miken Ultra painted to looked like a USSSA acepted  version.

In short, anyone who uses an illegal bat is fucking scum.  Hope you have the sense to not only not use it, but let your team know that they suck as well.
Y

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 01:46:02 PM »
no.

That's a no-brainer. 

I'd find another way to cheat.

jk  ;D

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 01:04:38 AM »

What is the world coming to? Corked bats in rec softball leagues?

Sad, isn't it? I can just imagine these softball fat fucks, looking for any edge.... ::)
HAHA, RON.....

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 05:44:37 AM »

Sad, isn't it? I can just imagine these softball fat fucks, looking for any edge.... ::)

In my experience it's not us fat fucks looking for an edge >:( :D
it's the young kids who just finished high school or college and take things way to serious :-\

they don't realize that softball is a good reason to hang out with your buds and drink beer ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 10:29:18 AM »

No fuvkin way.dude,it's just softball :-\
I play myself and our league doesn't have that problem and we go by ASA rules also.
but the town next to us got so bad that the league had to supply the bats to the teams :-\

I think pretty much every team in my league uses them.  Until I started playing several years ago, I didn't realize how huge the sport is.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 10:33:12 AM »
I wouldn't use it either.  Beach do you remember the Hungry Lion Celebrity All Star Team.  I played on that with Tom Selleck, Pat Morita, Henry Kapono and quite a few others.  I remember we were playing against the FBI in a game and they hired the San Diego Chicken to come be a part of it (he was getting $10,000 an appearance back then).  We played at the UH field.  I played ball all the way up till I was 26 and could hit but never was that good in softball.  But my first time up I hit it over the left field fence.  I remember just turning and going back to the dugout without running around the bases.  I have a video of me popping a hot water bottle at that game.  It got huge.  Carolyn Sapp was there too and she was the one holding the video camera.  Robert Kekaula too played.  I liked playing with that team cause I could go into the Hungry Lion and get free meals anytime I wanted.  Is it still there.

Onlyme I don't remember that league and I'm not sure if it's still around.  I know Robert Kekaula isn't playing much softball these days.  lol.   :)  He's a great color commentator for UH football. 

They probably have more than 50 softball leagues on this island and hundreds of teams.  We have 24 teams in my league alone.   

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 11:05:41 AM »
 DUDE JUST USE THE CREAM AND THE CLEAR

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 12:15:08 PM »
Few years  back we had a fast ball company tourney .....we had inside pools going on how many we'd golf swing per game to the parking lot and you got a 50 bonus for breaking a windshield. LOL

no need to cheat (let them do it)...if you have confidence in your swing motion just lay all your power into it and watch that bastard climb. To many mofo get too technical with soft ball (underhand or fast ball) and it sounds like your team mates are those types....it's only softball...destroy the damn thing and let the entire park know you just killed another one because THAT"S WHAT YOU DO! DO WORK lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 05:30:30 PM »
DUDE JUST USE THE CREAM AND THE CLEAR

lol.  I need it with all those darn softball injuries I've suffered.  Dangerous sport.  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 05:33:54 PM »
Few years  back we had a fast ball company tourney .....we had inside pools going on how many we'd golf swing per game to the parking lot and you got a 50 bonus for breaking a windshield. LOL

no need to cheat (let them do it)...if you have confidence in your swing motion just lay all your power into it and watch that bastard climb. To many mofo get too technical with soft ball (underhand or fast ball) and it sounds like your team mates are those types....it's only softball...destroy the damn thing and let the entire park know you just killed another one because THAT"S WHAT YOU DO! DO WORK lol

I hear you.  :)  I can crank them whenever I get a hold of one, but I'm a line drive hitter.  Hitting homeruns just screws up my swing because I start swinging for the fence (or the trees depending on the field).  I don't really need a loaded bat, but I confess I get jealous when those bean poles hit the ball about 325-50 feet.   

How about this:  I outweigh the homerun leader on my team by about 90 pounds.  :)

body88

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 08:31:39 PM »
Don't cork the bat.....But, why not take gh, slin, test and rocket fuel? We all know being the king of the softball field, is where it;s at. ;) ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 04:34:12 AM »
Don't cork the bat.....But, why not take gh, slin, test and rocket fuel? We all know being the king of the softball field, is where it;s at. ;) ;D

Body88 is correct.

Per www.barstoolsports.com:

Softball Dude
An ode to the Professional Softball Player
by Josh Bacott (joshbacott@joesportsfan.com)
For more stuff by Barstool’s newest writer, check his site out at www.joesportsfan.com

Allow me to introduce myself. I’m the best fucking softball player you’ve ever met.

Just ask the opposing teams in the 4 leagues I’m in this summer. I flat out rake. You could populate a small country with all the pitchers I've taken deep.

I just spent three hours in the batting cage and hit the shit out of the ball. Line drives, big flies, opposite field shots. I can do it all. Some kids next to me in the cages were staring and pointing at me. I can’t blame them. They’ve probably never seen a 40 year-old man wearing Oakley Blades and batting gloves who can hit bombs like me. Especially not with shorts this tight.

This season, I’m making sure we sweep all 4 leagues.

Especially the Men’s League at St. Anthony’s. We were two outs away from winning that baby last year and now I can taste it. I’ve gotta get my hands on that 10-foot plastic trophy. It’s all I think about. Rumor has it the league winners get 2 free pitchers at Murphy’s Pub after the season. No way we lose with the trophy and 78 ounces of Busch on the line.

I just bought all new equipment for this season. You should see the acrylic baseball pants I got. Super tight. I picked up a new set of wristbands, a tube of eye black and a pair of 3-inch mud cleats, you know, just in case I need to break up a double play. I also got my hands on a $350 titanium bat for a little extra power. It cost me a week’s pay, but screw it, when I start cranking 400-foot shots it will be worth it. Plus I might need it to beat off all the trim that will be chasing me after the games.

Softball groupies love guys who can go deep.

I can’t wait for that first at bat. I’m bringing a tape deck to the game, so that I can blast The Scorpions when I walk to the plate. Nothing gets me fired up to play ball more than The Scorpions. Except maybe AC/DC, but I save that for the playoffs.

I feel sorry for the other teams. They have no idea what I’m about to unleash on them. Actually, I don’t feel sorry for them. You think that anyone felt sorry for me when that bastard coach cut me from the 8th grade baseball team? You think Babe Ruth or Dave Kingman felt sorry for the other team when they took them deep?

They should have known better than to get into a league with me.

This year I’m focused. I practiced like a son of a bitch in the winter and got the call to play third. That’s right, the hot corner. Only the best play the hot corner. I have to be sharp, so no more beer during the games. I’m going to wait until after the game to starting pounding cold ones and I’m still going to drink you under the table.

My initials might as well be M-V-P. That stands for Most Valuable Player for all you non-softball players.

The League starts Tuesday night. I took the day off of work.

Why do I take softball so seriously?

Fuck you. You’re just jealous.

Y

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 07:09:37 AM »
I hear you.  :)  I can crank them whenever I get a hold of one, but I'm a line drive hitter.  Hitting homeruns just screws up my swing because I start swinging for the fence (or the trees depending on the field).  I don't really need a loaded bat, but I confess I get jealous when those bean poles hit the ball about 325-50 feet.   

How about this:  I outweigh the homerun leader on my team by about 90 pounds.  :)

I bet that guy you outweigh by 90lbs is one of those "softball guys" that comes up to the plate shifting his balls after he digs into the box while adjusting his helmet stares(sp) at the bat and adjust his velcro tightness on his batting gloves...after EVERY FREAKING SWING.....probably wears arm/wrist bands (can be ok but just on a roll..lol), probably has on shades with the strap on the back when outfield (again ok but i'm sure he has this), wears a shin protector, elbow protector....etc,etc and probably thinks he's ready to play AAA ball.

I hear you about the swinging for the fence....that's me 100% and I aint changing mine..lol...you either get an atom bomb HR to china or me damn near down on one knee swinging getting struck out. Fk it. lol.  The bystanders and onlookers love it either way I guess it's entertaining. LOL

I wear no. 45 in honor of BIG Cecil Fielder out there also....LOL. Only a few caught onto that one since everyone wants cute numbers. lol

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 10:42:01 AM »

In my experience it's not us fat fucks looking for an edge >:( :D
it's the young kids who just finished high school or college and take things way to serious :-\

they don't realize that softball is a good reason to hang out with your buds and drink beer ;D
exactly. I play in a flag football league in the fall. These clowns treat every play like it is the final minute of the Super Bowl. One even made up a "playbook" with Hail Mary's, laterals and shotgun formations. s

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 10:23:11 AM »
exactly. I play in a flag football league in the fall. These clowns treat every play like it is the final minute of the Super Bowl. One even made up a "playbook" with Hail Mary's, laterals and shotgun formations. s

Haha,that's the same reason I quit the flag leauge in my town ;D
softball I can deal with but with football it's not worth it to me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »
I bet that guy you outweigh by 90lbs is one of those "softball guys" that comes up to the plate shifting his balls after he digs into the box while adjusting his helmet stares(sp) at the bat and adjust his velcro tightness on his batting gloves...after EVERY FREAKING SWING.....probably wears arm/wrist bands (can be ok but just on a roll..lol), probably has on shades with the strap on the back when outfield (again ok but i'm sure he has this), wears a shin protector, elbow protector....etc,etc and probably thinks he's ready to play AAA ball.

I hear you about the swinging for the fence....that's me 100% and I aint changing mine..lol...you either get an atom bomb HR to china or me damn near down on one knee swinging getting struck out. Fk it. lol.  The bystanders and onlookers love it either way I guess it's entertaining. LOL

I wear no. 45 in honor of BIG Cecil Fielder out there also....LOL. Only a few caught onto that one since everyone wants cute numbers. lol

lol.  He isn't quite that serious, but he does show up looking like he's going to war.  I told him last weekend that his softball bag was so big it looked like it had a dead body inside.  These guys spend $300 on bats and then have them "blessed" by the guys who alter bats. 

Cecil was a big boy. 

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 11:02:25 PM »
Yeah Keith the Hungry Lion is still there in nuuanu!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 12:46:29 AM »
Yeah Keith the Hungry Lion is still there in nuuanu!

Great place.  My pic is hanging in there I think.  They have great sweet bread they give you.  I miss it. Thanks