Author Topic: metformin + insulin  (Read 18408 times)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
metformin + insulin
« on: July 13, 2008, 12:47:41 PM »
what do you guys think would happen if somebody took metformin a half hour before administering insulin ? 

exaggerate the effects?
no effect?
diminish te effect?

G

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: metformin + insulin
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 07:28:23 PM »
it will definately increase the effects of slin, much higher chances of going hypo...supposedly it's good to take metformin on slin cycles every 30 days or so to improve the receptors sensitivity. I personally use Metformin only on CKD to get me faster into state of ketosis after carb laod days.

erokyrwrld

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 11:55:34 AM »
It will increase the effect, but not to a great degree as it takes some time for the metformin to get in your system. Now, take metformin for two days straight before the slin and the slin will hit you much harder. 

steveeray

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 01:05:36 PM »
Metformin and insulin is what my wife takes for her blood sugar. The metformin is taken daily and the slin for when the blood sugar does not drop. Usually she takes the slin when the metformin does not do the job.
Slin dropes it fast so she has to be watched. Her blood sugar can go from around 400 to 130 in an hour so it would be dangerious for the normal person to take

steveeray

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 01:11:14 PM »
I forgot to add. I honestly think it would kill a normal person

G

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:41:02 PM »

nah it ain't....but like i said insulin by itself is powerfull enough...so tehres no need really for the glucophage

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 02:07:06 PM »
I don't see the use of combining the two. From what I remember metformin doesn't increase insulin stimulated glucose uptake in skeletal muscle. It also lowers IGF-1 IIRC.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »
what would be the benefits of taking metformin pre workout?

Texastriceps

• Getbig II
  • IT'LL KILL ME BUT ITLL TAKE 8 MEN TO CARRY ME
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »
  I ran a cycle of metformin, T3, GH, insulin , and anabolics and got to 260lbs around 12% at 26yrs and I am 5'7  I had to eat constantly and trained 2 times per day but it absolutely rocked!!!!
RUSTY OF TEXAS

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 02:48:21 PM »
  I ran a cycle of metformin, T3, GH, insulin , and anabolics and got to 260lbs around 12% at 26yrs and I am 5'7  I had to eat constantly and trained 2 times per day but it absolutely rocked!!!!
how did you utlilize the metformin?

and if you dont mind could you outline your slin protocol?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 04:10:22 PM »
what do you guys think would happen if somebody took metformin a half hour before administering insulin ? 

exaggerate the effects?
no effect?
diminish te effect?

You have to be kidding.    ::)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 04:12:38 PM »
Metformin and insulin is what my wife takes for her blood sugar. The metformin is taken daily and the slin for when the blood sugar does not drop. Usually she takes the slin when the metformin does not do the job.
Slin dropes it fast so she has to be watched. Her blood sugar can go from around 400 to 130 in an hour so it would be dangerious for the normal person to take

Is your wife Type II who's had to go onto insulin or is she type I? 

The reason I ask is I asked about that combination when I was having insulin resistance problems last year and was basically told it wouldn't work if there is no endogenous insulin production.  I've argued back and forth about it, but in the end the endocrinologist won. 

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »
no, ive always wondered why people dont use the two together...    it seems to me that if metformin increases insulin sensitivity and insuling is INSULIN,, (lol), then the two would be synergistic.....woudl they not ?

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »

this is why i love this board :)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 04:13:28 PM »

Post pics...... 

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 04:14:25 PM »
this is why i love this board :)
you didnt contribute anything to this thread and you have never displayed any kind of knowledge or helped anyone else out on ths board, benz.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 04:16:46 PM »
no, ive always wondered why people dont use the two together...    it seems to me that if metformin increases insulin sensitivity and insuling is INSULIN,, (lol), then the two would be synergistic.....woudl they not ?

Um, insulin isn't Insulin in some cases.....  

The exact mechanism of metformin is not known.  It is thought to inhibit gluconeogensis by affecting carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in the liver and its thought to have some indirect action sensitizing insulin receptors, but to the best of my knowledge the exact mechanism is unknown.  

Theres a lot of disent with metformin amoung diabetics.  Ask one person and its a miracle drug, ask another and its the devil, the same as actos. 

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 04:17:50 PM »
you didnt contribute anything to this thread and you have never displayed any kind of knowledge or helped anyone else out on ths board, benz.

Im not that stupid to believe that a box of glucophage will help, but if you want i can take pics of the ones i got here to prove my knowledge isnt based on what i read over and over, sissy.

Anyway and back to the main point, vet's comment is why i love this board, wheres division for the smash :)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »

Um, insulin isn't Insulin in some cases.....  

The exact mechanism of metformin is not known.  It is thought to inhibit gluconeogensis by affecting carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in the liver and its thought to have some indirect action sensitizing insulin receptors, but to the best of my knowledge the exact mechanism is unknown.  

Theres a lot of disent with metformin amoung diabetics.  Ask one person and its a miracle drug, ask another and its the devil, the same as actos. 
when is insulin not insulin ?

so what your saying is that metformin DOES NOT  promote insulin sensitivity ?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 04:20:46 PM »
I honestly dont' know.  I'm convinced it'd be safer to hit a stick of dynamite with a sledge hammer than do insulin like some people on the boards claim to do.  I'm also convinced that majority of the people doing insulin who are also taking GH are severely insulin resistant (maybe even type II diabetic) and just don't know it.  

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 04:21:03 PM »
I know Dr. Atkins wasn't a big fan of insulin but was more fond of metformin.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 04:22:08 PM »
Im not that stupid to believe that a box of glucophage will help, but if you want i can take pics of the ones i got here to prove my knowledge isnt based on what i read over and over, sissy.

Anyway and back to the main point, vet's comment is why i love this board, wheres division for the smash :)
you still have contributed zero, you still have displayed zero knowledge,

division for the smash ?
grow up

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 04:23:05 PM »
I honestly dont' know.  I'm convinced it'd be safer to hit a stick of dynamite with a sledge hammer than do insulin like some people on the boards claim to do.  I'm also convinced that majority of the people doing insulin who are also taking GH are severely insulin resistant (maybe even type II diabetic) and just don't know it. 

Great comment man

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 04:25:47 PM »
when is insulin not insulin ?

so what your saying is that metformin DOES NOT  promote insulin sensitivity ?

Lets see.....  

most of the insulins prescribed now days (humalog, novolog, lantis) are not "insulin".  It used to be diabetics were treated with actual "insulin" by injecting bovine or pork insulin.  These insulins are nearly identical to human insulin, differing by only a couple of amino acids each (pork is 1 or 2, bovine is 3).  This stopped with the DNA recombinant technolgies in the 1980s.   At that time, humulin R was developed which is a DNA recombinant technology "Human" insulin.  From there the technology moved to insulin analogues which are chemical structures similar to insulin which act on the insulin receptor, but really aren't insulin chemically.   They are an altered form, unlike anything occuring naturally in nature, but still have an insulin action.  

And for the second question,

No, I'm saying its not known to the best of my knowledge.  

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 04:26:59 PM »
you still have contributed zero, you still have displayed zero knowledge,

division for the smash ?
grow up

I studied business and economy and i go to china once a year to check my biz over there, do you really think i need to prove anything to someone that think he's a roids master with a pt diploma bought at www.buyadiploma.com and that learned everything about meds by just reading google? haha sure :)