Author Topic: Gaspari or Labrada?  (Read 15817 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Gaspari or Labrada?
« on: July 19, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »
I remember a bodybuilder who was not the biggest but had a reputation of winning contests with just insane conditioning.  I can't remember if it Was Rich Gaspari or Lee Labrada.  I think it was Gaspari but I'm not sure.  Or maybe it was both?  Anyone have an answer to this? 

gzhout

• Getbig II
Re: Gaspari or Labrada?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 11:00:08 PM »
Labrada

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 01:43:42 AM »
Gaspari had the freaky conditioning.

Labrada had a better structure, was consistent and was one of the builds I really liked in the late 1980s along with Berry DeMay and Bob Paris.
He should also have won the one and only drug tested MrO IMO

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 04:25:03 AM »
Gaspari had the freaky conditioning.

Labrada had a better structure, was consistent and was one of the builds I really liked in the late 1980s along with Berry DeMay and Bob Paris.
He should also have won the one and only drug tested MrO IMO

1990? For sure.

Ray 2nd and Haney 3rd. Even though Gaspari was trademark shredded, he lacked fullness at that show.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 04:30:22 AM »
I remember a bodybuilder who was not the biggest but had a reputation of winning contests with just insane conditioning.  I can't remember if it Was Rich Gaspari or Lee Labrada.  I think it was Gaspari but I'm not sure.  Or maybe it was both?  Anyone have an answer to this? 

Dickerson, Zane, Gaspari all won with great conditioning.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 04:59:55 AM »
1990? For sure.

Ray 2nd and Haney 3rd. Even though Gaspari was trademark shredded, he lacked fullness at that show.

Yup

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 09:53:48 AM »
Gaspari over the Flea

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 11:55:26 AM »
Flea? ........... hah  >:(

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 12:40:27 PM »
Flea Labrada, as Haney called him, was the most well balanced and proportioned bber of his time, along with Benfatto and Ray.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 12:32:04 AM »
Dickerson, Zane, Gaspari all won with great conditioning.

I have seen them all in person-including training with Gaspari in 84 after he won Nationals and the Universe-Dickerson and Zane got ripped, but were not even close to Gaspari's level.

Gaspari had the best conditioning of all time. I have only seen 2 others at the same level-Jim Quinn (ripped year round) and Dorian Yates.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »
I have seen them all in person-including training with Gaspari in 84 after he won Nationals and the Universe-Dickerson and Zane got ripped, but were not even close to Gaspari's level.

Gaspari had the best conditioning of all time. I have only seen 2 others at the same level-Jim Quinn (ripped year round) and Dorian Yates.

Great experiences you had, training with Gaspari, do share some stories!

I heard that about Quinn, year-round shape, you dont see that no more.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 09:14:56 PM »
Great experiences you had, training with Gaspari, do share some stories!

I heard that about Quinn, year-round shape, you dont see that no more.

Yeah, Gaspari had just won the 84 nationals and Universe, and he was guest posing at the Contra Costa for Steve O'Brien. 

Now remember, Gaspari had never been in a pro show yet-he was just Mr. Universe. Also remember that in 1984 NO ONE stayed in contest shape year round (Gaspari and Haney-who trained together in Venice in 1983, started that trend). So Gaspari came into Gold's, I was there and we did a few sets because Rich needed a spotter.

So I asked Rich "are you in shape" (he was wearing a sweat shirt and sweat pants), he said "pretty much", so I said cool.

So we do a 5-6 sets and the sweatshirt came off and the entire gym was like WTF! Absolutely shredded wheat-veins criss crossing his entire body-no one, I mean no one had seen anyone that hard before. Even O'Brien was freaked out.

I remember after he guest posed at the show I was talking to O'Brien (promoter-also current Mr O judge-NPC BigWig) and he said Gaspari was as good as anyone he had every seen, and he said that included Haney.

As it turned out Rich never beat Haney, but he won most of the shows he entered for the next 5 years (84-89).

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »
Yeah, Gaspari had just won the 84 nationals and Universe, and he was guest posing at the Contra Costa for Steve O'Brien. 

Now remember, Gaspari had never been in a pro show yet-he was just Mr. Universe. Also remember that in 1984 NO ONE stayed in contest shape year round (Gaspari and Haney-who trained together in Venice in 1983, started that trend). So Gaspari came into Gold's, I was there and we did a few sets because Rich needed a spotter.

So I asked Rich "are you in shape" (he was wearing a sweat shirt and sweat pants), he said "pretty much", so I said cool.

So we do a 5-6 sets and the sweatshirt came off and the entire gym was like WTF! Absolutely shredded wheat-veins criss crossing his entire body-no one, I mean no one had seen anyone that hard before. Even O'Brien was freaked out.

I remember after he guest posed at the show I was talking to O'Brien (promoter-also current Mr O judge-NPC BigWig) and he said Gaspari was as good as anyone he had every seen, and he said that included Haney.

As it turned out Rich never beat Haney, but he won most of the shows he entered for the next 5 years (84-89).

& rich was pretty young compared to how old the Pro's are now

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 08:57:30 PM »

& rich was pretty young compared to how old the Pro's are now

Yeah, he was 21 y/o....like Arnold and Lou, he was a BBing savant.

Funny thing was he was so jacked year round on sauce his body only lasted until 89- and he was like 26, 27 y/o and he was done.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 05:54:39 AM »

Yeah, he was 21 y/o....like Arnold and Lou, he was a BBing savant.

Funny thing was he was so jacked year round on sauce his body only lasted until 89- and he was like 26, 27 y/o and he was done.

Any speculation on what his cycles were like?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 10:54:35 AM »

alot

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 09:28:31 PM »

No, I have no idea.

My buddy Dave Zachery (Used to be an owner at San Diego/PB Gold's) was Rich's roommate in Reseda(??) in like 81 or 82-he would probably know-if I run into him I will ask him.

alot

I think it would have to be a lot considering how Rich's body deteriorated after just 5 years in the pro's. At 21, he was bigger than anyone in Golds Gym Walnut Creek in 1984.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 10:36:10 AM »
No, I have no idea.

My buddy Dave Zachery (Used to be an owner at San Diego/PB Gold's) was Rich's roommate in Reseda(??) in like 81 or 82-he would probably know-if I run into him I will ask him.

I think it would have to be a lot considering how Rich's body deteriorated after just 5 years in the pro's. At 21, he was bigger than anyone in Golds Gym Walnut Creek in 1984.

Rich just isn't a big guy.  You can look at him & tell he was juiced to the gills

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 04:13:19 AM »
Rich just isn't a big guy.  You can look at him & tell he was juiced to the gills
I met rich and he told he was natural using only gaspari supplements back in the late 80s and 90s...plasmajet is a reboxed version of gaspari jet he said  ::)

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 12:28:14 PM »
I met rich and he told he was natural using only gaspari supplements back in the late 80s and 90s...plasmajet is a reboxed version of gaspari jet he said  ::)

He used no diuretics either, just watched his sodium intake pre-contest...

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 06:36:08 PM »
He used no diuretics either, just watched his sodium intake pre-contest...

Funny you say that because Rich and Dave Zachery would go to Sizzler's in West LA and order chicken and steaks and Rich would tell them NO SALT, and then when the food would come it owuld have salt and Rich would send it right back to the kitchen...... this supposedly happened everytime they went to Sizzlers.... according to Zachery anyway.

The REAL Pat Neve

• Getbig II
  • ...or should I say the REAL Pat Neve Jr. :)
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 10:50:41 AM »
Labrada had better symmetry but Gaspari was a bit more freaky. I liked Labrada personaly.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 09:00:02 AM »
labrada was better than gaspari.

sure gaspari was often crazy ripped, but his physique had no 'flow'

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 10:47:16 AM »
Gaspari was a freak, that took conditioning to new levels, a role model for overachieving with poor genes(shape & structure).
Labrada really was Mass with Class. The man had great shape, proportion and symmetry. Polished beyond belief, a real class act, great ambassador. Couple of inches taller, Mr O 2-3 times... 89 & 90 were his IMO.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Gaspari was a freak, that took conditioning to new levels, a role model for overachieving with poor genes(shape & structure).
Labrada really was Mass with Class. The man had great shape, proportion and symmetry. Polished beyond belief, a real class act, great ambassador. Couple of inches taller, Mr O 2-3 times... 89 & 90 were his IMO.
ALL TRUE,,,gaspari was built for today,labrada for the long haul,but they are both doing well in there buissness endevors.