Author Topic: Slipped disc, weakened psoas, never gonna get to lift again, HELP!  (Read 3195 times)

laurion

• Getbig III
My injury is in my lower back and it's difficult to explain so please bare with me. 
I believe that I first slipped a disc on 7/21/06, I'm not sure because I didn't take it seriously for about a year and a half.  I was doing heavy t-bar rows and over-training as usual when suddenly it was like I was shot in the back with a shotgun.  The pain was unbearable and my strength was immediately gone and the worst thing was that I had to drive to the beach the next morning, it was excruciating.  I called the doctor and got some anti inflammatory medicine  and was told to go easy for a while which was easy since I was at the beach for a week.   ;D  The pain eventually went away and I started working out again on 8/9/06, I apparently had no problems because according to my journals I went right back to over-training.  Fast forward to February of this year and after a year straight of hardcore leg training which I used to be proud of it became apparent that I had done some real damage to my back as it got increasingly worse until I finally did what I should have done to begin with and got it checked out.  It should be noted that I was 8 solid weeks into my second cutting phase and I was spot on with food but still over-training.  I finally took everyone's advice in my family and gym and toned down my workouts and went to the doctor who scheduled me an MRI and they said I had an old slipped disc injury L5-S1 protruding to the left with a little wearing of the disc.  My doctor (who is frail) wanted to send me to a physical therapist (i didn't go)  my chiro who is a bber said he could correct the disc problem and that I also had a weakend psoas.  I now almost feel as if my disc problem is gone but my psoas still feels sore after any physical activity, but I really have no idea.  Since I always felt the worst after leg day I have stopped doing legs altogether which was done in steps until I realized that I just needed to stop.  I still appropriatly lift for upper body only and usually it's okay but I still have pain occasionally I try stretching, core strengthening, taking it easy on the weights, etc. and they have all helped decrease my problem maybe 60% but I still have an issue after 2 years what do I do?

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
Re: Slipped disc, weakened psoas, never gonna get to lift again, HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 12:13:35 AM »
I still have an issue after 10 yrs with the exact same protrusion.  I didn't start really taking care of it until now.  I've been seeing Chiros on and off but that doesn't do much unless you combine it with physical therapy.  Go to your physical therapy buddy.  I am telling you right now that this is not something you want to delay any longer.  I've bulged a hundred times and I promise you will too if you keep doing what you are doing.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 01:04:47 AM »
your spine is way to important to fuck it up

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 01:20:22 AM »
It was that protrusion, I should note, that caused me to lose feeling and fuction of the outside of my leg for several months.  Feeling has returned as with most of the function-but the calf is still deformed and the glute is still problematic.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 01:36:20 AM »
laurion, i know its a injury and rehab thread but getbig is not the right place to ask for opinions for back problems, seriously.

laurion

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 07:26:30 AM »
I know I already asked on other boards  ;D jk Ron.
Seriously though I am just looking for opinions and to see if other people with this problem have gotten over it or not.  I am seeing my doctor and my chiro about it I just wanted to know if there was anything else I could do.

The Coach