Author Topic: How easy is it to get a M.A. or Ph.D. in your country??  (Read 5474 times)

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Re: How easy is it to get a M.A. or Ph.D. in your country??
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2008, 03:41:37 AM »
I met a guy studying particle physics at Cambridge while working as a cook in Belguim (no, he wasn't in a wheelchair).

Ha ha, bollocks!

Did they harvest Mr. Hawking's dribble to make the base of their soups?

الاسلام هو شيطانية

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2008, 04:11:45 AM »
Ha ha, bollocks!

Did they harvest Mr. Hawking's dribble to make the base of their soups?

Saliva is far too potent for the anemic english constitutuion.  ;)

Actually, I think I made a point of not asking about Shaky Steve.  I was interested in talking to the guy and didn't want to piss him off by appearing disinterested in his subject, and I figured he was probably sick of people asking for Hawking stories.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2008, 07:47:26 AM »
Tapeworm

Given your choice to drop out of school after the first year, it’s easy to see why you imagine the need for a college degree will eventually decline.  Obviously, as a product and producer of higher education I have an opposite bias, but the arch of history would appear to be on my side.  The vast majority of “successful” people (however one defines that) appreciate the need for degrees for themselves and their children and they are willing to make great sacrifices to enable that education.

For better or worse the pressure to get that degree is increasing!  The number of students who sit for the SAT is in the tens of millions.  Even more take the PSAT and as recently as yesterday the College Board has unveiled a new, earlier version of the PSAT test for students in 8th grade!  Cirtics say such an exam is test overkill but others argue that even 8th grade is ‘too late’ to get ready for college.

http://www.latimes.com/news/education/la-me-test8-2008aug08,0,7851692.story

...Russlyn Ali, executive director of Education Trust-West, the Oakland arm of a Washington-based nonprofit dedicated to improving education, said many California public school students are first-generation college aspirants who lack the background and information to map out their own routes to higher education.

"That plays out in kids' real lives; most of them are taking a hodgepodge of classes . . . and by the end of 11th grade it's too late," Ali said.

Princeton Review's Kanarek, however, said eighth grade is too late to begin pulling together a college prep portfolio.

"Eighth grade is not the key year for college assessment. That's sixth grade," he said.

"Now we're going to have a preadmission test to get ready for the preadmission test? Get ready to get ready to get ready?" said Robert Schaeffer, public education director of Cambridge, Mass.-based FairTest, which is critical of standardized testing. "To believe you need an eighth-grade test on top of the PSAT and SAT is just insane."

Cortines said he welcomes the new test, as it will focus families and teachers on what students need to succeed...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2008, 09:08:03 AM »
Tapeworm

Given your choice to drop out of school after the first year, it’s easy to see why you imagine the need for a college degree will eventually decline.  Obviously, as a product and producer of higher education I have an opposite bias, but the arch of history would appear to be on my side.  The vast majority of “successful” people (however one defines that) appreciate the need for degrees for themselves and their children and they are willing to make great sacrifices to enable that education.

For better or worse the pressure to get that degree is increasing!  The number of students who sit for the SAT is in the tens of millions.  Even more take the PSAT and as recently as yesterday the College Board has unveiled a new, earlier version of the PSAT test for students in 8th grade!  Cirtics say such an exam is test overkill but others argue that even 8th grade is ‘too late’ to get ready for college.

Your point is well made Bay.  I'd rate myself as a moderate statistical outlier in terms of success without a degree (not that I'm too well off, but I do ok).  I'm a tradesman/business owner with his fingers in a fair few pies, and my industry is sort of the Wild West of money making, so that's another tint in my world view spectacles as far as degrees go.

Like I said, I'd never tell a kid not to go to college.  His employability will be highly dependent on having a degree, provided he has chosen a marketable field.  That assumes, of course, that he can stomach the marketable field in question and that he wants to be an employee.  ;)  I know, there's always consulting....

I feel bad for guys whose chosen field isn't very marketable, like pure science majors.  Some of these people are doing research that almost anyone would call essential, but they have to spend their lives scratching around for grants to make ends meet.  :-\  I'd like to see these folks rewarded for doing important work, rather than having to go to work for Phizer making exercise pills or stiff dick pills.  :(  Physicists living in near poverty, astronomers freezing their ass off on some mountaintop, lol....  That's another topic tho.

I agree with you on the whole.  Odds are, you'll make more money with a degree than you will without a degree, and you'll find more employment options with one than without.  I think that students need to be reminded that the literal translation of an "educator" is the one who is doing the drawing forth, so strictly speaking the student is the educator.  I would like to see an educational system (not just universities) designed to facilitate this.  I bet you'd get many more kids finding their way to and through university without any additional "stay in school" messages required.  They'd just do it naturally.  The rest can wind up in the construction game.  ;D