Author Topic: Weighted dips  (Read 2796 times)

ConanCarl

• Getbig II
  • CD
Weighted dips
« on: August 05, 2008, 07:50:38 AM »
Does anyone do these at beginning of chest workout-because I have a hard time at the end due to fatigue-thanks

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
Re: Weighted dips
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 08:14:29 AM »
I have done them as a quick warm-up to get a good pump.  Then I walk around and intimidate for a bit,  get a drink,  and go hit bench or DB inclines.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:54:33 AM »
why would you do them at the end
Z

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:50:09 AM »
when i did them i did them on with triceps not chest

ConanCarl

• Getbig II
  • CD
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 10:57:55 AM »
Did them first yest-then presses and flyes-good wkt and feel sore wher I should be-lower/outer pec

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »
I do them on chest/tri day. Its maybe th exercise. Ig you are tired at the end keep doing them. As you get stronger you will get better at them at the end of workout. It doesnt matter if you are using 20lbs and its hard at the end if you are capable of 100lb easy at the start. As long as you are progressing that is all that matters

Redwingenator

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 01:38:16 PM »
when i did them i did them on with triceps not chest

I agree.  I do them after shoulders/chest as a lead in to isolated triceps work.  I do them close and heavy.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 03:23:17 PM »
i do them first.
and i do them for chest.
Z

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 09:22:35 PM »
i do them first.

awesome way to fuck your rotor cuffs up

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 02:03:09 AM »
I do them last. I finish with flat flyes and in between sets i do dips. I never start with dips. They can be rough on your delts/rotator if your not careful. Makes sense to do them once warmed up.
No doubt about it...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 02:46:50 AM »

nah i do a pretty proper warm up but i dont count that as real sets

Z

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 03:11:47 AM »
why would you do them at the end

Because if you can actually use a good amount of weight, it's easier to do them at the end of your workout since you don't have to load up a weight belt as much.
At the beginning of a workout, I'll use 2 45's and a quarter. Just getting into position on my dipping bars can be a pain in the ass.
But at the end of a workout, when you've "pre-exhausted" the pectorals by doing benches, inclines and/or flyes, I'll use a single 45 or sometimes even just my bodyweight depending on rest periods and whatnot.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 03:16:19 AM »
wouldnt that depend on how many reps you do? how many do you do
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 04:43:33 AM »

Bingo. Some here with wider perspectives like goudy get it..

It doesnt matter if you are using 20lbs and its hard at the end if you are capable of 100lb easy at the start. As long as you are progressing that is all that matters

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 04:38:02 PM »
wouldnt that depend on how many reps you do? how many do you do

Depends what phase my workout is in. If I'm going heavy, I'll use the 2 45's and a quarter for 6-8 reps. That's at the beginning of the workout. If it's at the end, only 2 45's for 6 maybe 8 if I'm feeling good.
On a lighter "rep day," I will use 2 plates for 8-10 at the start of the workout, but one plate at the end.
It also involves more/less rest time too. If I'm lifting heavy, no more no less than 3min rest. On a lighter day it's 2min rest.
Then there is the week where I may do Giant Sets and have no more than a minute rest, but I'm doing 4-5 different exercises in a row non-stop. I might do Wtd. Dips, run to Incline Smith Bench with a 2 second pause on my chest, flat Flyes, bodyweight dips and finish with a Hammer Strength Incline movement. Rest one minute and repeat all for 10-12 reps if possible.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 08:47:07 PM »
I would have the shoulder girdle and chest well warmed up and stretched before you start these.  You may not tear a muscle but you will surely fuck yourself up.

As far as strength, what are you doing before them?  If you are doing 20 sets before dips then you will likely be weak but doing flat and inclines before shouldn't cause much problems.
Squishy face retard

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 08:53:26 PM »
I would have the shoulder girdle and chest well warmed up and stretched before you start these.  You may not tear a muscle but you will surely fuck yourself up.

As far as strength, what are you doing before them?  If you are doing 20 sets before dips then you will likely be weak but doing flat and inclines before shouldn't cause much problems.
I see you 86'd the '86'......... ;)

I have known two people that have torn their pecs doing dips........I typically don't do them. Once in a great while, if I want to 'burn out' at the end of a chest/tricep workout
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 09:30:23 PM »
I see you 86'd the '86'......... ;)

I have known two people that have torn their pecs doing dips........I typically don't do them. Once in a great while, if I want to 'burn out' at the end of a chest/tricep workout
Yeah, it's no more.

As for the chest issue, you really do need to be careful with the super stretch.  I've felt awkward pulls with two plates strapped to me and opted for BW dips.
Squishy face retard

The Coach

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 10:15:26 PM »

EXACTLY!!

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 01:46:52 AM »
Does anyone do these at beginning of chest workout-because I have a hard time at the end due to fatigue-thanks

Be very careful with dips.  They're an excellent way to fucck up your shoulder girdle in the long run, even if you do them with good form.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 07:28:45 AM »
Be very careful with dips.  They're an excellent way to fucck up your shoulder girdle in the long run, even if you do them with good form.

Exactly dude, the whole idea that good form is always the answer is actually incorrect.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
The people I know who complain about shoulder problems from dips either do too many, go too heavy (either with their own weight or adding weight), or use crap form.  I see too many guys doing bouncy reps, especially the ones who strap 1-3 plates on.

That being said, there are some people just aren't built to do them.
Squishy face retard

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 09:20:25 AM »
I can rep 4 plates easily at 230lbs b/w below parallel.

its about control to an extent and i believe a secret is holding the plates beteen ur egs so they dont swing about and cause instability on your shoulders

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 09:22:01 AM »
The people I know who complain about shoulder problems from dips either do too many, go too heavy (either with their own weight or adding weight), or use crap form.  I see too many guys doing bouncy reps, especially the ones who strap 1-3 plates on.

That being said, there are some people just aren't built to do them.
problem is too many guys let the added weight carry them too far down and they bounce out of the bottom.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »
I can rep 4 plates easily at 230lbs b/w below parallel.

its about control to an extent and i believe a secret is holding the plates beteen ur egs so they dont swing about and cause instability on your shoulders

but youre a strong mofo

Z