Author Topic: Is Bodybuilding for Losers? Lets keep it real!  (Read 22814 times)

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Re: Is Bodybuilding for Losers? Lets keep it real!
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2008, 04:02:37 PM »
No you do not offend. I have seen your cousin and I can see why you are concerned. He is not as bad as you say and with time he may be OK. AS far as delusional, well you have a point. Anyone that thinks bodybuilding can take the place of a job is lost. It is like any other hobby, you do it after work for kicks. If you get real good at it then you wont need to work but that is a tiny percentage. I see it all the time, people give up their job to get ready for a local show.

So what to do from here. 1st, talk to him about your concerns, tell him Ronnie won 4 Olympias with a 10 hour a day job. Personal training certificate can earn some good dollars but you have to know how to use it. Perhaps he should start training some of his mates for free, as practice, so when he gets some clients he has some experience. He seems OK, just lost which is normal at that age. At least he has an interest and a goal even if it is misguided, it beats doing nothing or being a drunk or loser pillhead.

Bodybuilding is a great pass time but does attract some fruits, from my experience most fans are OK and don't see it as gay. Keep training mate and stay positive, there is plenty of worse lifestyles than training.
Quality..now thats a Reply.
He has potential, but i need to be realistic and so does he.
He quit a career to compete Tony, he had a $60,000 scholarship to become a Teacher/P.E teacher and declined it cause intense studying will ruin his physique and screw up his dream, Why do i care some much? his my lil cousin, he pissed away a great oppurtunity to follow a dream that's becoming a nightmare, oh and he busted his shoulder too.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »
Quality..now thats a Reply.
He has potential, but i need to be realistic and so does he.
He quit a career to compete Tony, he had a $60,000 scholarship to become a Teacher/P.E teacher and declined it cause intense studying will ruin his physique and screw up his dream, Why do i care some much? his my lil cousin, he pissed away a great oppurtunity to follow a dream that's becoming a nightmare, oh and he busted his shoulder too.

Talk him out of it somehow! I wish some had talked me out of it when I was younger. I was a good rugby player, made all age grade teams and gave it up to do bodybuilding  :-\ Now all I have to show for it is a few plastic trophys, while a few of my buddys are playing professionally and earning a good living. Bodybuilding is a trap and your cousin needs a reality check! Help him QB!
P

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2008, 04:29:11 PM »
Talk him out of it somehow! I wish some had talked me out of it when I was younger. I was a good rugby player, made all age grade teams and gave it up to do bodybuilding  :-\ Now all I have to show for it is a few plastic trophys, while a few of my buddys are playing professionally and earning a good living. Bodybuilding is a trap and your cousin needs a reality check! Help him QB!
Man, i tried, his bro tried, his girlfriend even tried, I cannot control him but when he hits 25 and his mates are buying homes etc and his struggling to pay Paul graham to register for the next comp it will be to late.

Bodybuilding as a hobby is the best, beats drinking and taking drugs, doing it to keep fit is what its about, now to compete you need to have a reality check, even Con Demetriou the aussie bodybuilder spoke to my cuz backstage and said "It's a shit life, I had to beg for Sponsorship to go to Newyork" he advertised on his Myspace, Max sponsored him, not sure what he placed but dont think he went in the top 10.

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »
Whatever i had in mind to write i've gotta go with what Messiah said, it beats being a drunk or pillhead.

The older i get -only just 29- the more i realise there are a lot of fuck-ups in the world. At least your cousin has a goal. You've just got to get him to apply his energy correctly and to more aspects of life.

One thing bodybuilding teaches you is that you can accomplish what you put your mind to and you can change yourself. A lot of people in life are basically told, or just believe, that they are limited in what they can do and cannot accomplish things they think are too hard.

If he has the commitment to turn up and train every time he is meant to that's great, apply only that to a normal job and he's ahead of 80% of lemmings out there. He's just got to realise he has to do more in life and he has to realise it soon.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2008, 04:38:05 PM »
Whatever i had in mind to write i've gotta go with what Messiah said, it beats being a drunk or pillhead.

The older i get -only just 29- the more i realise there are a lot of fuck-ups in the world. At least your cousin has a goal. You've just got to get him to apply his energy correctly and to more aspects of life.

One thing bodybuilding teaches you is that you can accomplish what you put your mind to and you can change yourself. A lot of people in life are basically told, or just believe, that they are limited in what they can do and cannot accomplish things they think are too hard.

If he has the commitment to turn up and train every time he is meant to that's great, apply only that to a normal job and he's ahead of 80% of lemmings out there. He's just got to realise he has to do more in life and he has to realise it soon.
Agreed.
He wants to be a IFBB pro..No more hating, Good luck to him.

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2008, 06:29:26 PM »
dont your cousn earn some money out of his "certificate"? i mean why isnt he a trainer, at least he could live of his passion?

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2008, 06:33:48 PM »
dont your cousn earn some money out of his "certificate"? i mean why isnt he a trainer, at least he could live of his passion?
He calls up gyms and they tell him "we dont need you" he was promised a job and that was broken, he should of taken up that Teaching scholarship, he would have been working full time by last year

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2008, 06:36:21 PM »
One good thing about bodybuilding is that being lean is one of the main priorities, and that should be a priority for everyone for health and for looking good.   Although some 'bodybuilders' get wrapped up in "bulking."  :-X

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2008, 06:38:26 PM »
I may make a career out of personal training but in the meantime i'll continue to work my 'regular' job until i know I can make money doing that; and even then I will probably work both jobs.

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2008, 06:46:54 PM »
He calls up gyms and they tell him "we dont need you" he was promised a job and that was broken, he should of taken up that Teaching scholarship, he would have been working full time by last year

are you kidding me, what kind of retard is he?  he should go there in person, who is dumb enough to try to get hired in a gym by phone ????

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2008, 09:10:10 PM »
are you kidding me, what kind of retard is he?  he should go there in person, who is dumb enough to try to get hired in a gym by phone ????
Sorry he has enquired in person, but keeps calling them to see if they want him.

And for the Woman bodybuilders, you look like horses.

alejandro_torres

• Getbig IV
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2008, 09:13:38 PM »
like your cousin i like bb too.. but i work every day.. im 19 years old... he needs to get his focused changed...

he will feel sory in a few years when his friends graduate and buy new cars and new houses.. yet he rides the bus to the gym...

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2008, 09:41:52 PM »
Sorry he has enquired in person, but keeps calling them to see if they want him.

And for the Woman bodybuilders, you look like horses.

and why dont they, isnt he suposed to be passionate about it, why cant he convince em exactly???

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2008, 11:19:04 PM »
and why dont they, isnt he suposed to be passionate about it, why cant he convince em exactly???
His shy, a little anti-social, insecure..typical bodybuilder.
I dont know if he can succeed as a PT, he has no drive, he cant communicate with others well, I feel bad cause i think i should be the one to steer him in the right direction, It's his decision but i dont want to see him at 30 and his still searching and his mates have homes, cars, Secure jobs/futures while his deciding what time the bus shows up..

Quickerblade melting down..

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2008, 11:21:16 PM »

Need i say more

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2008, 12:02:21 AM »

He needs to visit gyms over and over in person with copies of his cv. He will not get a job on the phone. I have people call up looking for work all the time and I usually tell them that I don't employ lazy girls just before I hang up. Nothing like a good handshake from a persisant person.  He has to get out there to get a floor job in gym.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2008, 12:04:56 AM »
He needs to visit gyms over and over in person with copies of his cv. He will not get a job on the phone. I have people call up looking for work all the time and I usually tell them that I don't employ lazy girls just before I hang up. Nothing like a good handshake from a persisant person.  He has to get out there to get a floor job in gym.
haahhaahah

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2008, 12:07:59 AM »
His shy, a little anti-social, insecure..typical bodybuilder.
I dont know if he can succeed as a PT, he has no drive, he cant communicate with others well, I feel bad cause i think i should be the one to steer him in the right direction, It's his decision but i dont want to see him at 30 and his still searching and his mates have homes, cars, Secure jobs/futures while his deciding what time the bus shows up..

Quickerblade melting down..

Just remember if he is all these things, anti social, insecure, poor communicator then he would probably suck at teaching as well. Also, some of his mates will be fucked up at 30, drunk, fat, sad. Just cause someone has a good job when they start out does not ensure happiness for alot of people. He is lucky to have you in his corner, dont give up on him just yet. He could be doing a lot worse.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2008, 12:11:35 AM »
Just remember if he is all these things, anti social, insecure, poor communicator then he would probably suck at teaching as well. Also, some of his mates will be fucked up at 30, drunk, fat, sad. Just cause someone has a good job when they start out does not ensure happiness for alot of people. He is lucky to have you in his corner, dont give up on him just yet. He could be doing a lot worse.
Good point, how can he teach if his shy!..I will help him out.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2008, 12:45:48 AM »
Bodybuilding is a great hobby but a shitty career choice, the discipline learnt through bodybuilding when applied to normal life with a potentially good job will take you to great heights, the bad part is that so many guys can try so hard at bodybuilding and live  it 24 7 but are unable to adapt that work ethic to modern life, if you can believe me, you will be successful at most things if not all.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2008, 12:56:36 AM »
Bodybuilding is a great hobby but a shitty career choice, the discipline learnt through bodybuilding when applied to normal life with a potentially good job will take you to great heights, the bad part is that so many guys can try so hard at bodybuilding and live  it 24 7 but are unable to adapt that work ethic to modern life, if you can believe me, you will be successful at most things if not all.
I agree, tell this to a stubborn 20 year old, im going to have a chat with him soon and knock some sense into him, if he wants be a loser thats fine, but i need to make sure i do my best to avoid that..Im pretty good at motivating but its not working with this kid, but i will hang in there..

Fuck, whats so hard, get a career, and train in the morning, thats what i do and most of us do.

io856

« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2008, 02:11:13 AM »

Fuck, whats so hard, get a career, and train in the morning, thats what i do and most of us do.
ditto
+ he is going to need $$$ for his gf, cycles, car, house etc.

having a job will develop his confidence etc. etc. also providing structure

io856 approved

Pecs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2008, 02:36:13 AM »
Sounds like many potential real life models for ANIMAL PAK!!!!

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2008, 03:12:52 AM »
Many losers in there - though a few are cool.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2008, 03:17:09 PM »
I agree, tell this to a stubborn 20 year old, im going to have a chat with him soon and knock some sense into him, if he wants be a loser thats fine, but i need to make sure i do my best to avoid that..Im pretty good at motivating but its not working with this kid, but i will hang in there..

With the exception of a few most bodybuilders that end up somewhere in the sport pay there bills with a 9-5 job or a are financially stable. Bodybuilding is not meant to be chased in the same way a career is, you must take it as a hobby first and if it becomes good enough to replace your current financial situation then great and if it doesn't then at least your still paying your bill. I think this must be made clear to him.