Author Topic: Tricep Push Down's/Press Downs...  (Read 3574 times)

SHUTUPANDTRAIN

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Tricep Push Down's/Press Downs...
« on: August 10, 2008, 01:27:25 PM »

...Inside grip or outside grip???

Discuss the benefits of both...

I posted this again because Ron can not keep stupid shit out of normal threads...

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Tricep Push Down's/Press Downs...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 02:54:05 PM »
I believe in switching up the grips. it helps to hit different parts of the triceips.

personally, I use different ways of doing a pushdowns one arm, rope, short bar, angled bar, v bar bar and etc. if you only doing one kind of pushdowns all the time then your only develop one head of the tris. I know you can isotate a head of a muscle but you can  primary hit that head i.e wide grip its the inner head of the tris more the the outter. so the result is the inner head over powering the lloutter head

that my $0.02

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 03:06:48 PM »
...Inside grip or outside grip???

Discuss the benefits of both...

I posted this again because Ron can not keep stupid shit out of normal threads...
I find that I get a better contraction with the closer grip but everyone is different.  It may be more of a personal feel but that closer grip accentuates the outer head a bit whereas a wider grip gives more of a balanced tricep contraction, possibly working the inner head more.  That's usually how it works with exercises.  Wider=inner part of the muscle, closer=outer part. 
Squishy face retard

SHUTUPANDTRAIN

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 03:11:54 PM »
The reason I bring this up in the first place is I do all of my tricep exercises with as inner a grip as I can...I know a lot of guys can not do to wrist problems...I have never had these since I have always worked my forearms (14 years) they are pretty strong and I have no wrist issues...

But thinking about switching up to about 6-12 inches out for better development...

Thanks for the input guys...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 03:51:39 PM »
whatabout using a rope and pull it to the sides
Z

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 03:53:06 PM »
one arm reverse pushdowns supersetted with one arm pushups for the win

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 05:54:16 PM »
The blind lead the blind. You can get to about 17 1/2" biceps doing pressdowns. After that you tend to cheat too much to do the heavy weights. The rope pressdowns are pretty much a total waste of time. Muscleheads still do them!

The triceps grow better if you train the muscle in a stretched position. The elbows should be above the head. The best exercise is the lying extensions with arms on a fixed pad.

The MedX triceps machine is the only machine that gives adequate resistance in the extended position.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 01:22:02 AM »
The blind lead the blind. You can get to about 17 1/2" biceps doing pressdowns. After that you tend to cheat too much to do the heavy weights. The rope pressdowns are pretty much a total waste of time. Muscleheads still do them!

The triceps grow better if you train the muscle in a stretched position. The elbows should be above the head. The best exercise is the lying extensions with arms on a fixed pad.

The MedX triceps machine is the only machine that gives adequate resistance in the extended position.

wow, you must have some pretty "big" triceps.  ::)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 01:52:10 AM »

but the rope ones give one helluva a burn!
Z

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 07:01:45 AM »
but the rope ones give one helluva a burn!

So does pouring gas on your arms and lighting a match, but I don't superset that with dips on arm day.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:30:40 AM »
I do all variants of triceps push-downs.

Rope, close grip, wide grip, one armed, reverse grip, ...