Author Topic: i think i might have type 2 (adult onset) diabetes?!  (Read 6717 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
i think i might have type 2 (adult onset) diabetes?!
« on: August 13, 2008, 07:31:10 AM »
going to the doctor this friday, august 15 for a check-up. kind of worried though because doing some internet research i have some of the various symptoms of type 2 the adult onset diabetes!?!

will be turning 44 in a couple of weeks and just this past week for some reason i have a constant throbbing tingling from my left elbow to my hand, not sure why didn't fall on it or hit it on anything and for a couple of months now sometimes i get blurring vision when i read the newspaper or anything else and overall kind of tired especially mid afternoons. ALL SYMPTOMS OF TYPE 2 DIABETES! HOWEVER....

some of these things can also be explained away for instance 1) i go to bed pretty late and wake up very early so perhaps that is why i'm tired during the day. 2) the blurry vision is not all the time and could be just that i'm mentally tired or at my age (about to be 44) i just need reading glasses! havent been to an eye doctor in years. also the throbbing tingling thing, perhaps i just have a pinched nerve that happened while i was sleeping.

i also don't have any other symptons of diabetes 2 you know desperately thirsty and hungry plus no family history of it,although being half hispanic, i read that hispanics, blacks are at a greater risk for it?

will see what the doctor says and what tests he'll do!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: i think i might have type 2 (adult onset) diabetes?!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:24:39 PM »
Don't go freaking out yet. Doc will do some glucose testing and go from there. Type 2 can often times be handled thru diet.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:27:39 AM »
*bump for status
:

burn2live

• Getbig IV

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 12:40:55 PM »
true..don't panic yet...but I am 46 and I started getting those same symptoms as well a few years ago around your age..blurry vision sometimes....tired and lethargic...the tingling as well......then I started to wake up and piss three times a night and I knew something was wrong....

and sure enough I had high glucose readings in my blood...diabetes was beginning to come on....glucose levels were over 200 when it should have been 90 to 125 or so.....doctor wanted to put me on meds but I refused because I didn't want to be psychologically and physically dependent on drugs.....

I don;t like dieting because i believe they don't work and I don't like depriving myself .....all I did was keep lifting regularly and added regular cardio..plus I stopped drinking all forms of sweetened drinks..no more sodas....and no candies....that in itself was enough to bring my levels down to the 120's..I was happy and so was my doctor..doctors love it when you follow their advice and it works... :)

you being hispanic definitely puts you at a higher risk.....it's genetic and also the diet of hispanics is filled with starch....the bananas, Yuca, plantains, and rice and beans...my wife is hispanic so I know....good luck to you..hope this helps

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 06:17:04 PM »
true..don't panic yet...but I am 46 and I started getting those same symptoms as well a few years ago around your age..blurry vision sometimes....tired and lethargic...the tingling as well......then I started to wake up and piss three times a night and I knew something was wrong....

and sure enough I had high glucose readings in my blood...diabetes was beginning to come on....glucose levels were over 200 when it should have been 90 to 125 or so.....doctor wanted to put me on meds but I refused because I didn't want to be psychologically and physically dependent on drugs.....

I don;t like dieting because i believe they don't work and I don't like depriving myself .....all I did was keep lifting regularly and added regular cardio..plus I stopped drinking all forms of sweetened drinks..no more sodas....and no candies....that in itself was enough to bring my levels down to the 120's..I was happy and so was my doctor..doctors love it when you follow their advice and it works... :)

you being hispanic definitely puts you at a higher risk.....it's genetic and also the diet of hispanics is filled with starch....the bananas, Yuca, plantains, and rice and beans...my wife is hispanic so I know....good luck to you..hope this helps

What glucose levels were these?

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 06:53:02 PM »
diabetes sucks sometimes.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 07:10:36 AM »
What glucose levels were these?

sorry I may have said it wrong...it's the levels you check before eating in the morning when waking after fasting all night.....thats high..should be 90-125 or so......

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 04:42:58 PM »

sorry I may have said it wrong...it's the levels you check before eating in the morning when waking after fasting all night.....thats high..should be 90-125 or so......

Ah right, I know what's happened. I saw what you said and I'm used to working in mmol/L, where normal is around 5. You're working in mg/dl where normal is as you stated. I thought 200 in mmol/L was pretty impossible! lol

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 08:52:53 PM »
that would be dead lol

i  think my sugars are in the 200+ range currently

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 04:07:42 PM »
that would be dead lol

i  think my sugars are in the 200+ range currently

join the club.....202 here......gotta get that down to at least the 120's....high sugars do a lot of damage to the body...especially to the capillaries that serve the penis...thats why a lot of guys with full blown diabetes are impotent.....I definitely don't want that!!!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 10:25:56 PM »
i'm spanish, my penis trumps diabetes lol.  but yeah i need to get it down to normal

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »
going to the doctor this friday, august 15 for a check-up. kind of worried though because doing some internet research i have some of the various symptoms of type 2 the adult onset diabetes!?!

will be turning 44 in a couple of weeks and just this past week for some reason i have a constant throbbing tingling from my left elbow to my hand, not sure why didn't fall on it or hit it on anything and for a couple of months now sometimes i get blurring vision when i read the newspaper or anything else and overall kind of tired especially mid afternoons. ALL SYMPTOMS OF TYPE 2 DIABETES! HOWEVER....

some of these things can also be explained away for instance 1) i go to bed pretty late and wake up very early so perhaps that is why i'm tired during the day. 2) the blurry vision is not all the time and could be just that i'm mentally tired or at my age (about to be 44) i just need reading glasses! havent been to an eye doctor in years. also the throbbing tingling thing, perhaps i just have a pinched nerve that happened while i was sleeping.

i also don't have any other symptons of diabetes 2 you know desperately thirsty and hungry plus no family history of it,although being half hispanic, i read that hispanics, blacks are at a greater risk for it?

will see what the doctor says and what tests he'll do!

did u ever find out if u had diabetes?