Author Topic: In terms of sheer and utter stupidity, which religion (Islam, Christianity, Juda  (Read 21120 times)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
lets get two of every animal together.i heard its gonna rain.
DAWG

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
That doesn't make too much sense. It's not like Christmas bonuses are sent from above. Of course an atheist will demand all the benefits his coworkers get, regardless of the traditional motivation behind them.

Try reading that again. No one said anything about their not getting Christmas bonuses or getting Christmas day off with pay.

They aren't giving their bonuses back or demanding to go to work that day, or taking the day off without pay, which they are getting because of the Christmas holiday, a celebration (even at its superficial least) is about the birth of Jesus Christ.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
All religions are laughable, if you misinterpret them.
IMO the same could be said about sciences.

Interpretation of scientific data and religious mythology has NOTHING to do with the other...

One deals with facts and understanding those facts, the other with fables, mythology and fabrications...

Wrong again, Herr Wienerschnitzel!
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Try reading that again. No one said anything about their not getting Christmas bonuses or getting Christmas day off with pay.

They aren't giving their bonuses back or demanding to go to work that day, or taking the day off without pay, which they are getting because of the Christmas holiday, a celebration (even at its superficial least) is about the birth of Jesus Christ.

Who are these people; my progenitors and I always ignored Christmas.
I hate the State.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
Interpretation of scientific data and religious mythology has NOTHING to do with the other...

... and that's not what I said ...

One deals with facts and understanding those facts, the other with fables, mythology and fabrications...

... and that's not true, as proven time and time again.

Wrong again, Herr Wienerschnitzel!

The term 'again' would require at least one incident were you could actually prove me wrong, Herr Altersdemenz.  :D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Who are these people; my progenitors and I always ignored Christmas.

First, try calling them "parents".

Second, you've just made my point. Your parents didn't "ignore" the day off with pay (demanding to work); nor did they "ignore" the Christmas bonuses.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
... and that's not what I said ...

... and that's not true, as proven time and time again.

The term 'again' would require at least one incident were you could actually prove me wrong, Herr Altersdemenz.  :D

how has it been proven time and time agin?ohh I know some one saw the face of jesus in there grilled cheese sandwich.
DAWG

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~

OK, you meant as a demonstration of their disapproval.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
how has it been proven time and time agin?ohh I know some one saw the face of jesus in there grilled cheese sandwich.

I was talking about science providing "facts", which by definition of science it does not. It provides scientific theories.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
First, try calling them "parents".

Second, you've just made my point. Your parents didn't "ignore" the day off with pay (demanding to work); nor did they "ignore" the Christmas bonuses.

I have made no point. The existence of Christmas was only acknowledged inasmuch as others talked about. It was never mentioned in my household. My point was that it always was an irrelevant issue to my progenitors and to me.
I hate the State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
OK, you meant as a demonstration of their disapproval.

YEP!!!

It appears that, to some atheists, everything about Christmas is offensive: Nativity scenes, songs that have the audacity to mention Jesus Christ, etc. But, for some reason, the extra $$$$$/having the day off with pay (because of the celebration of Christ's birth) don't seem to bug them as much.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Then, there's the little matter that, in some spots like California, atheists actually have humanist centers where they go every Sunday, as a answer to their neighbors who attend church on Sunday. I saw this in an article from TIME magazine. According to one lady that was interviewed, she felt that it's tougher for atheists, when they have families, because unlike their Christian counterparts, they usually don't have support groups and centers to help raise their kids and pass their morals and values.

The term "atheist" and "anti-theist" tends to be interchangeable. The self-described atheists, on the sites you linked, don't just believe that there is no God. They are quite hostile to religion and religious people.

Humanist centers??  Sounds like organized religion to me. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I have made no point. The existence of Christmas was only acknowledged inasmuch as others talked about. It was never mentioned in my household. My point was that it always was an irrelevant issue to my progenitors and to me.

Sucks for you.  The Christmas season is awesome.  Thanksgiving through New Year's Day is the most wonderful time of the year IMO. 

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
Sucks for you.  The Christmas season is awesome.  Thanksgiving through New Year's Day is the most wonderful time of the year IMO. 

Not necessarily so, if you were born into a Jewish family, as deicide was.  The Jews have their own set of holidays to coincide with the Christmas holidays.  I'm told that many Jews do enjoy Christmas because movie theatres are empty Christmas Eve. By the same token, many New Yorkers of Christian faith find that the best night to get a last minute restaurant reservation is Yom Kippur.  It's a symbiotic relationship I think.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Here's the link to that TIME magazine article:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1686828,00.html

Here's an excerpt:

On Sunday mornings, most parents who don't believe in the Christian God, or any god at all, are probably making brunch or cheering at their kids' soccer game, or running errands or, with luck, sleeping in. Without religion, there's no need for church, right?

Maybe. But some nonbelievers are beginning to think they might need something for their children. "When you have kids," says Julie Willey, a design engineer, "you start to notice that your co-workers or friends have church groups to help teach their kids values and to be able to lean on." So every week, Willey, who was raised Buddhist and says she has never believed in God, and her husband pack their four kids into their blue minivan and head to the Humanist Community Center in Palo Alto, Calif., for atheist Sunday school.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Not necessarily so, if you were born into a Jewish family, as deicide was.  The Jews have their own set of holidays to coincide with the Christmas holidays.  I'm told that many Jews do enjoy Christmas because movie theatres are empty Christmas Eve. By the same token, many New Yorkers of Christian faith find that the best night to get a last minute restaurant reservation is Yom Kippur.  It's a symbiotic relationship I think.

I agree.  I know Jewish people who love the Christmas season.  But tt doesn't sound like he actually enjoyed the holiday season.  He can correct me if I'm wrong.  

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
Even if it were true, this is not a ritual. Do I need to provide the definition of ritual for you, Mr. Thick Skull?

I am not unbending. Please give me evidence for the existence of your deity and I will gladly believe.

Please prove to me that Zeus does not exist.

Thank you.

Since you have no life to speak of, yes please provided the definition of ritual, use it in a sentence, its origin, and please site sources.

Thank you
X

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Here's the link to that TIME magazine article:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1686828,00.html

Here's an excerpt:

On Sunday mornings, most parents who don't believe in the Christian God, or any god at all, are probably making brunch or cheering at their kids' soccer game, or running errands or, with luck, sleeping in. Without religion, there's no need for church, right?

Maybe. But some nonbelievers are beginning to think they might need something for their children. "When you have kids," says Julie Willey, a design engineer, "you start to notice that your co-workers or friends have church groups to help teach their kids values and to be able to lean on." So every week, Willey, who was raised Buddhist and says she has never believed in God, and her husband pack their four kids into their blue minivan and head to the Humanist Community Center in Palo Alto, Calif., for atheist Sunday school.

Sounds like church to me.   :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy

does it have doctrine? 

Does it have ritual?

Does it have a holy book of stories?

I think Atheism is just a POV.  nothing more.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
BTW  i think of the main stream religions, Islam takes the cake.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
does it have doctrine? 

Does it have ritual?

Does it have a holy book of stories?

I think Atheism is just a POV.  nothing more.

Is that the definition of "religion"?  I don't things like a "book of stories" is necessary.  I think the way these folks have organized to discuss their nonbelief in a non-entity is not only humorous, but qualifies as a "religion."

If it's just a point of view and nothing more, than why all this?

National organizations:   http://www.atheists.org/     http://www.atheistalliance.org/

A TV show called Atheist Viewpoint:  http://atheistviewpoint.tv/

National conventions:  http://www.atheists.org/convention/

Deedee

• Getbig V
Claiming atheism to be a religion is utterly absurd.

But I imagine it makes people who suffer from a constant pervading sense of persecution feel better to lump a wide variety of others into a single "group."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
No more absurd than multiple organizations, TV shows, annual conventions, "humanist centers," etc. where folks talk about their nonbelief in a nonexistent being. 

But I guess paranoid, anti-religious extremists need outlets too. 

Deedee

• Getbig V
No more absurd than multiple organizations, TV shows, annual conventions, "humanist centers," etc. where folks talk about their nonbelief in a nonexistent being. 

The claim that people who get together for political reasons or to socialize are part of an organized religion does nothing other than denigrate your own faith.

But I guess paranoid, anti-religious extremists need outlets too.

Exaggerate much?  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
The claim that people who get together for political reasons or to socialize are part of an organized religion does nothing other than denigrate your own faith.

Exaggerate much?  ::)

No more than you.   ::)

They even have a magazine:  http://atheists.org/aam/  I bet they have t-shirts too. 

How does calling atheism a religion denigrate my faith?