Author Topic: In terms of sheer and utter stupidity, which religion (Islam, Christianity, Juda  (Read 21203 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Right here:

Put  it in context.....maybe you should have bolded the whole thing:

That's why there is more to the definition of religion than what you conveniently picked out.  Namely:  worship and God.   That's specifically why definitions need to be specific 

So we have what you listed (2,3,6), and the other aspects of the definition that you or haven't yet talked about, and the parts of the definition that included Worship and God.

Hence i did NOT say "only" God.

I'm no longer sold on Nolan as much.   but they did look good, this one preseason game.   lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Put  it in context.....maybe you should have bolded the whole thing:

That's why there is more to the definition of religion than what you conveniently picked out.  Namely:  worship and God.   That's specifically why definitions need to be specific 

So we have what you listed (2,3,6), and the other aspects of the definition that you or haven't yet talked about, and the parts of the definition that included Worship and God.

Hence i did NOT say "only" God.

I'm no longer sold on Nolan as much.   but they did look good, this one preseason game.   lol

Actually, I believe what you've said is the definition of religion must include God, which the same definitions you provided do not entirely support. 

One of the things that separates all of the items you mentioned are weekly mock church meetings.  I don't think doctors have anything like that, or violinists, etc.   

We might sniff the playoffs given how watered down the NFL is these days.  Parity sucks. 

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
It was probably better for you to say nothing. 

The facts simply don't agree with you.  If atheists were just people who didn't believe in God, rather than a group of people (at least some of them) who organized in the manner I've already shown, then you might have a point.  But in reality, some of them meet every week in what is essentially a mock church, form organizations, hold conventions, publish magazines, meet annually, if not more, to talk about . . . the fact they don't believe in a nonexistent being.  That's just laughable.

I watched part of their annual convention last year (?).  It was a complete joke.  About 90 percent or more of the portion I watched involved people mocking religion, God, etc.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I just find it ridiculous that people spend so much time talking about something they don't believe in. 

And yes you put words in my mouth.  You've done that throughout this thread. 

You've used "pretzel logic" on more than one occasion on the board.  Time to retire that one.     

What are your facts? That a relatively small group of people meet for annual conventions to mock God? It may be laughable, but the idea that mocking God constitutes a religion is even more laughable. Did this group of people from somewhere in the US come up with a set of rules for all atheists the world over to follow? A God mocking Code of Ethics perhaps? Cause I didn't get the email, nor did millions of other atheists spanning the globe. I haven't interested myself in these conventions so you would know better than I. Do we now have atheist baptisms? A ritual atheist prayer, secret handshake, any practices wherein I can recognize fellow Atheists within our "faith?"

I didn't think so.

If you get the time, plse point out where I've put words in your mouth as I don't see it.

I'll try to keep from using archaic phrases, so thanks for pointing it out, although it is funny coming from somebody who proclaims "that's absurd" every three posts and who's used  ::) to absolute death on a board mostly populated by adults.  ;D Sorry, I made myself laugh.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
What are your facts? That a relatively small group of people meet for annual conventions to mock God? It may be laughable, but the idea that mocking God constitutes a religion is even more laughable. Did this group of people from somewhere in the US come up with a set of rules for all atheists the world over to follow? A God mocking Code of Ethics perhaps? Cause I didn't get the email, nor did millions of other atheists spanning the globe. I haven't interested myself in these conventions so you would know better than I. Do we now have atheist baptisms? A ritual atheist prayer, secret handshake, any practices wherein I can recognize fellow Atheists within our "faith?"

I didn't think so.

If you get the time, plse point out where I've put words in your mouth as I don't see it.

I'll try to keep from using archaic phrases, so thanks for pointing it out, although it is funny coming from somebody who proclaims "that's absurd" every three posts and who's used  ::) to absolute death on a board mostly populated by adults.  ;D Sorry, I made myself laugh.   

Excuse me while I laugh at the fact you amused yourself.  ::)  What an absurd commentary.  (That was just for you.) 

I believe if you go back and look at every time I had to correct you in this thread when you attributed various conclusions to me, then you have your answer about putting words in my mouth.  Not that hard to figure out.  I'm not going to do it for you.  Or, as I tell my kids, "I'm not going to think for you."  (Since we're using the "adult" vs. child references . . . .)   

Yes, all I mentioned were annual conventions.   ::)  Obviously, what these people talk about at their conventions and in their newsletters, magazines, TV shows, and weekly mock church meetings include their fundamental disbelief in God.  It's absurd.  (I would use a different word, but I'm working and don't feel like it.) 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
The NRA is a religion. It worships THE GUN.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Oh, and can we get back on topic now please?
I hate the State.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
no doubt!there still talking about definitions like there a couple dictionaries.get back to topic or start a separate thread.
DAWG

big L dawg

• Getbig V
here ill start us back on the right path.tom cruse joined a religion started by a science fiction novelist.
DAWG

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
here ill start us back on the right path.tom cruse joined a religion started by a science fiction novelist.

He joined a cult.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

no doubt!there still talking about definitions like there a couple dictionaries.get back to topic or start a separate thread.

He (Beach Bum) is on topic. You asked which religion takes the cake, in terms of sheer and utter stupidity.

Bum's answer: The "religion"  that takes the cake (in terms of sheer and utter stupidity) is the one whose members spend an inordinate amount of time and resources, blubbering about something/Someone they don't believe to exist, ATHEISM.

The only way he is going off topic is if you are operating under the premise that his only three choices are (or should be) Islam, Christianity, or Judaism.

OzmO

• Getbig V
Actually, I believe what you've said is the definition of religion must include God, which the same definitions you provided do not entirely support. 

One of the things that separates all of the items you mentioned are weekly mock church meetings.  I don't think doctors have anything like that, or violinists, etc.   

We might sniff the playoffs given how watered down the NFL is these days.  Parity sucks. 

So now I've went from "only" to "must".   Why didn't you say i said "must" to begin with then?

I'm only stating what the definition says.  Nothing more. 

and by your logic, Footballs are also a pile of crap becuase crap is also brown.

It's not the type of meetings they have, it's the fact they have meetings, just like any other group.  and i'm more than  sure it's not doctrine in any atheist organization that they have mock church meetings every week.

OzmO

• Getbig V

No ,this thread is free of thread doctrine.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Iglesia Maradoniana (Spanish "Maradonian Church")

Iglesia Maradoniana (Spanish "Maradonian Church") was created by fans of the retired Argentine football player Diego Maradona, who they believe to be the best player of all time. It was founded on October 30, 1998 (Maradona's 38th birthday) in the city of Rosario. But it wasn't until the year of 2001 that they had their first gathering. They now reportedly count over 100,000 members from more than 60 countries around the world.

It could be seen as a type of syncretism. It's clear that the passion between the different members is what glues them together. As Alejandro Verón, one of the founders tells us “I have a rational religion and that’s the Roman-catholic church, and I have a religion passed on my heart, passion, and that’s Diego Maradona.”

Supporters of the Maradonian Church, supposedly from all parts of the world, count the years since Maradona's birth in 1960. It is popular, among the followers of this religion (and also among other football fans), the use of the neo-Tetragrammaton D10S as one of the names of Maradona: D10S is a portmanteau word which fuses 10 (diez in Spanish), Maradona's shirt number, and Dios, the Spanish word for god.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_Maradoniana

The 'Hand of God' church
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/2396503.stm

OzmO

• Getbig V
Iglesia Maradoniana (Spanish "Maradonian Church")

Iglesia Maradoniana (Spanish "Maradonian Church") was created by fans of the retired Argentine football player Diego Maradona, who they believe to be the best player of all time. It was founded on October 30, 1998 (Maradona's 38th birthday) in the city of Rosario. But it wasn't until the year of 2001 that they had their first gathering. They now reportedly count over 100,000 members from more than 60 countries around the world.

It could be seen as a type of syncretism. It's clear that the passion between the different members is what glues them together. As Alejandro Verón, one of the founders tells us “I have a rational religion and that’s the Roman-catholic church, and I have a religion passed on my heart, passion, and that’s Diego Maradona.”

Supporters of the Maradonian Church, supposedly from all parts of the world, count the years since Maradona's birth in 1960. It is popular, among the followers of this religion (and also among other football fans), the use of the neo-Tetragrammaton D10S as one of the names of Maradona: D10S is a portmanteau word which fuses 10 (diez in Spanish), Maradona's shirt number, and Dios, the Spanish word for god.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_Maradoniana

The 'Hand of God' church
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/2396503.stm

wow..................... .......   Give that one the cake.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

wow..................... .......   Give that one the cake.

;D

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Maradona is satan. We were robbed by the scummy little coke snorting podge.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Maradona is satan. We were robbed by the scummy little coke snorting podge.

;D

"The Hand of Satan"

big L dawg

• Getbig V
i see your crazy soccer fans and raise you a hippie that walks on water.
DAWG

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
End of Thread.... :-\
I hate the State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
End of Thread.... :-\

I guess this thread didn’t morph into the Christianity (or other religion) bashfest for which Deicide was hoping.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I guess this thread didn’t morph into the Christianity (or other religion) bashfest for which Deicide was hoping.

Nothing to do with that...just went way off topic...

;D

I hate the State.

Deedee

• Getbig V
Excuse me while I laugh at the fact you amused yourself.  ::)  What an absurd commentary.  (That was just for you.) 

I think it's fairly obvious that I amuse myself very easily.  I don't think my commentary was absurd; thought it was quite lucid actually, and it's also fairly obvious that you've just been playing dumb or the devil in this thread.

I believe if you go back and look at every time I had to correct you in this thread when you attributed various conclusions to me, then you have your answer about putting words in my mouth.  Not that hard to figure out.  I'm not going to do it for you.  Or, as I tell my kids, "I'm not going to think for you."  (Since we're using the "adult" vs. child references . . . .)   

Meaning... you can't, because I didn't put any words into your mouth.

Yes, all I mentioned were annual conventions.   ::)  Obviously, what these people talk about at their conventions and in their newsletters, magazines, TV shows, and weekly mock church meetings include their fundamental disbelief in God.  It's absurd.  (I would use a different word, but I'm working and don't feel like it.) 

Atheists discussing their non-belief in any deity! Shocking.  :o 

Yes, I know you've already stated that all it takes for a group to be considered a religion is getting their message out via mass media.  Guess that means everything from the republican party to homosexuality should therefore be viewed as religions. 

And while it's absurd, I'm not sure it's any more so than Christians railing at non-believers and sinners through those very same avenues, except a thousands times over, rather than minding their own business.  That pesky thing called freedom of speech is only nice when it works in one's favor.  :)

What's a mock church?  ;D  Do they have ritual mock prayers? They must be secret satan worshipers!!!  >:(

Deedee

• Getbig V

OzmO

• Getbig V
I'm actually starting to think that the idea that atheism as a religion is right up there with 9/11 CT'ers.

That's the best defense against atheism's attack of logic?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
I'm not here to argue that Atheism is a religion, and I am aware that not all atheists are the same.  However, you can't compare organized Atheism to Republicans, Democrats, the NRA or the Mustang club.  Those organizations would still exist even if so much as the idea of God did not exist.  But if the idea of God did not exist at all, neither would atheists nor organized Atheism.  Therefore, Atheism is attached to and dependent on the idea of God.  This is why some might think of organized Atheism as a religion. 

Also, there are the former atheists turned agnostics, deists and theists who say that they came to a point in their life where denying the existence of God any longer would take more faith than accepting it...their words, not mine.