Author Topic: In terms of sheer and utter stupidity, which religion (Islam, Christianity, Juda  (Read 21180 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Here.  Am I not reading English  ???

You are reading but apparently not comprehending.  Here is what you said:

Yes, I know you've already stated that all it takes for a group to be considered a religion is getting their message out via mass media.  

Here are my comments you contend support the preceding statement:

It's ridiculous to say that atheists who have all of the earmarks of a religion are not, in essence, a religion.  Don't just point to one item.  Look at everything I mentioned.

They have a fundamental belief (there is no God).
They meet on a regular basis, sometimes every week, at "humanist centers."
They have national and probably local organizations.
They have annual conventions.
They have a cable TV show.
They probably have radio shows.
They publish magazines and likely newsletters.
Based on their website, it looks like they lobby. 
The website also looks like they have support groups.    

If you view these factors together, it absolutely qualifies as a religion in my book. 

You are a smart lady Deedee.  Your statement was false and I think you know that.  It's right there in black and white.

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
You can oppose what's known as the "religious right" WITHOUT abandoning your faith in God (or any other supernatural entities). That may be part of the agenda. But, mere political opposition is NOT the primary reason why they assemble. It's beyond politics; this is about philosophy, about "doctrine". BTW, I’d love to know what atheists are supposedly trying to “take back”, considering that no one stripped them of any rights, in the first place.

Why must there necessarily be something to abandon?  You cannot fashion a belief out of something that doesn't exist in your heart.  Plain and simple.

That's the one referenced in the article. However, I'm sure that the other have similar practices. If you find one that differs, please list it here.

You're making me work MCWAY  ;D but it's okay.  I like new learning experiences.  :)

QUEENS, NY -- This one is totally political, of which much I don't agree with, but anyway.
http://humanistcenterqueens.blogspot.com/

CT --  I would totally spend evenings with these people!!!
http://www.cthumanist.org/about.html

JOISEY  ;D -- More of a family humanism group.
http://www.njhn.org/index.php

I just don't see this "mock church" aspect with services and fake bishops that you and BB point to with sneering dismissiveness.  The last one appears to have more "atheist" teachings within its concept, but as Ozmo says, parents do need to teach their children morality in some fashion after all.  I could also ask you why so many sermons at any given moment focus so much on the "godless" and alleged "sinners." Why does Ben Stein need to make anti-evolution flicks, and go on religious talk shows to spew stuff like "God is love, science leads to killing people?" With two thirds of the US population being Christian, surely you have nothing to fear.

I only have a few mins and will answer the other stuff later, but usmokepole, Ozmo and Decker have done a good job of trying to explain it.  I think you're just so inured to the idea of obeying a great father that you can't imagine morality without supernatural punishment or reward. It does exist though.

Deedee

• Getbig V
You are reading but apparently not comprehending.  Here is what you said:

Here are my comments you contend support the preceding statement:

You are a smart lady Deedee.  Your statement was false and I think you know that.  It's right there in black and white.

No, I think what it says in black and white is that you don't require spirituality or faith in your concept of religion.  I don't see it there.

We've already covered this idea that Atheism is the fundamental belief.  It isn't.  It's a component of  the larger picture.

The common thread I share with deicide and nordic is that we don't believe ia supernatural being created us.  I have very deep spiritual feelings regarding the beliefs that I hold close to my heart and that make me who I am.  My beliefs would make both nordic and deicide fall over laughing if they got a hint of them.  So how do we "share" a religion?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
I have very deep spiritual feelings regarding the beliefs that I hold close to my heart and that make me who I am.  My beliefs would make both nordic and deicide fall over laughing if they got a hint of them.  So how do we "share" a religion?

What are your spiritual beliefs?  I thought atheists did not believe in the spiritual, spirit, soul, etc.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
That's an assumption you are making FOR atheists.  Show me where atheists say that.  We are back to you putting a false condition on something to make your point make sense.

That's not a false condition. Here's an excerpt from one of the links that Beach Bum posted (www.atheists.org)

Atheism is a doctrine that states that nothing exists but natural phenomena (matter), that thought is a property or function of matter, and that death irreversibly and totally terminates individual organic units. This definition means that there are no forces, phenomena, or entities which exist outside of or apart from physical nature, or which transcend nature, or are “super” natural, nor can there be. Humankind is on its own.

The following definition of Atheism was given to the Supreme Court of the United States in the case of Murray v. Curlett, 374 U.S. 203, 83 S. Ct. 1560, 10 L.Ed.2d (MD, 1963), to remove reverential Bible reading and oral unison recitation of the Lord's Prayer in the public schools.

“Your petitioners are Atheists and they define their beliefs as follows. An Atheist loves his fellow man instead of god. An Atheist believes that heaven is something for which we should work now – here on earth for all men together to enjoy.

An Atheist believes that he can get no help through prayer but that he must find in himself the inner conviction, and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and enjoy it.

An Atheist believes that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow mancan he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment.

That pretty much backs what I've said from the start. Atheists put themselves (MAN) as the top hiearchy, as far as authority is concerned.

I don't believe the God that's identified in the bible is the source of morality.  But that's another discussion, a horse well beaten to death by us.

That is another story. But, it goes back to my earlier statements. Atheists don't believe that God (whether you think it's the one defined in the Bible or not) is the source of moral authority. Once again, the question is asked: Who/What is this moral authority or standard for atheists?

"a" (a sacred personage) denotes singularity.  It does not denote an entire species.

in definition 7 it's the same.

In definition 10, it's a general statement.  I view my children and parents with "reverence or regard"   Does that mean worship them instead of God?

Definition 10 is a general statement, which is why I added definitions 1 and 7, to specify it.

Deedee

• Getbig V
What are your spiritual beliefs?  I thought atheists did not believe in the spiritual, spirit, soul, etc.

Some people with atheistic values don't have any spirituality within their worldview, but that doesn't apply to all.  Loco, I'd rather not get into wackiness on the board  :) but I think I once mentioned something about our human hive connectivity.  That's about as far as I'll go.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
No, I think what it says in black and white is that you don't require spirituality or faith in your concept of religion.  I don't see it there.

We've already covered this idea that Atheism is the fundamental belief.  It isn't.  It's a component of  the larger picture.

The common thread I share with deicide and nordic is that we don't believe ia supernatural being created us.  I have very deep spiritual feelings regarding the beliefs that I hold close to my heart and that make me who I am.  My beliefs would make both nordic and deicide fall over laughing if they got a hint of them.  So how do we "share" a religion?

Forgive me for being a little stuck on your misstatement.  You really did prove my point about putting words in my mouth.  Pretty blatant.  

What I've described has the earmarks of a religion.  As either loco or McWay said earlier, these people wouldn't exist without God.  They have organized themselves to mimic traditional Christian churches.  The "humanist centers" really take the cake.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Why must there necessarily be something to abandon?  You cannot fashion a belief out of something that doesn't exist in your heart.  Plain and simple.

I made that remark, because you said that some of the atheist groups were more political in nature, specifically to oppose the "religious right". Again, there are a number of groups that oppose the "religious right" but DO NOT claim that there's no God. In fact, some of these folks proclaim quite adamantly that they are Christians.

You're making me work MCWAY  ;D but it's okay.  I like new learning experiences.  :)

QUEENS, NY -- This one is totally political, of which much I don't agree with, but anyway.
http://humanistcenterqueens.blogspot.com/

CT --  I would totally spend evenings with these people!!!
http://www.cthumanist.org/about.html

JOISEY  ;D -- More of a family humanism group.
http://www.njhn.org/index.php

I'm afraid you've linked more of the same stuff that Bum did. The "Joisey" group, for instance. It may be a family humanism group, but check out the very first paragraph at the top of the home page:

The New Jersey Humanist Network is a vibrant and growing community of secular humanists. Humanism is a democratic and ethical life-stance, which affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives.   We believe that virtues like morality, kindness, justice and generosity derive from natural human values and reason, and are realized fully only when free from belief in supernatural powers and a spiritual afterlife.  Please consider joining us for our free monthly meetings in Bridgewater.

That's another example of what I've been saying. These humanists see THEMSELVES (man) as the ultimate authority on morality and are joined by the common doctrine/belief that there is no God.

I just don't see this "mock church" aspect with services and fake bishops that you and BB point to with sneering dismissiveness.  The last one appears to have more "atheist" teachings within its concept, but as Ozmo says, parents do need to teach their children morality in some fashion after all.  I could also ask you why so many sermons at any given moment focus so much on the "godless" and alleged "sinners." Why does Ben Stein need to make anti-evolution flicks, and go on religious talk shows to spew stuff like "God is love, science leads to killing people?" With two thirds of the US population being Christian, surely you have nothing to fear.

I only have a few mins and will answer the other stuff later, but usmokepole, Ozmo and Decker have done a good job of trying to explain it.  I think you're just so inured to the idea of obeying a great father that you can't imagine morality without supernatural punishment or reward. It does exist though.

With regards to the Palo Alto center, I was making a joke, because the last name of the guy who runs the place happens to be "Bishop". How ironic is that?

As for Stein's statement, that's rather silly. Science is simply the study of nature, God's nature. It has been used to do what Jesus charged His disciples to do: Heal the sick; clothe the naked; feed the hungry; and, execute what Christians have coined the Great Commission, "Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost".

Christians have been charged to spread the Gospel. Scientific discovery has aided GREATLY to that end.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
That's not a false condition. Here's an excerpt from one of the links that Beach Bum posted (www.atheists.org)

Atheism is a doctrine that states that nothing exists but natural phenomena (matter), that thought is a property or function of matter, and that death irreversibly and totally terminates individual organic units. This definition means that there are no forces, phenomena, or entities which exist outside of or apart from physical nature, or which transcend nature, or are “super” natural, nor can there be. Humankind is on its own.

The following definition of Atheism was given to the Supreme Court of the United States in the case of Murray v. Curlett, 374 U.S. 203, 83 S. Ct. 1560, 10 L.Ed.2d (MD, 1963), to remove reverential Bible reading and oral unison recitation of the Lord's Prayer in the public schools.

“Your petitioners are Atheists and they define their beliefs as follows. An Atheist loves his fellow man instead of god. An Atheist believes that heaven is something for which we should work now – here on earth for all men together to enjoy.

An Atheist believes that he can get no help through prayer but that he must find in himself the inner conviction, and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and enjoy it.

An Atheist believes that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow mancan he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment.

That pretty much backs what I've said from the start. Atheists put themselves (MAN) as the top hiearchy, as far as authority is concerned.

It doesn't back anything up.  You are taking statements out of context and attaching your own meaning to them to validate your assertions.  It's not even related to worship.

what does:  only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment?

What does it have to do with worship?  If i want to knowledge about a subject or of a thing I'd look to that subject or thing.  That doesn't mean i worship it.  That's really silly.

I can see why you think it, but it's not reality.  I see that your life hinges on the idea of the GOD of the Bible being everything.  You cannot fathom life in any aspect with out an ultimate being as identified in the Bible.

So you have to construct a connection, no matter how ambiguous or irrelevant, to make sense of how anyone else might see things differently to justify your assertions. 

It's cool.  I get it and respect you for it. 

But don't for one minute try and pass off what you put in bold as worship.

Who/What is this moral authority or standard for atheists?

That's been answered pretty well in other posts on this thread.  I even provided you a standard. 

Definition 10 is a general statement, which is why I added definitions 1 and 7, to specify it.

And statement 1 and 7 don't mean anything close to what atheist do.

Deedee

• Getbig V
Forgive me for being a little stuck on your misstatement.  You really did prove my point about putting words in my mouth.  Pretty blatant. 

What I've described has the earmarks of a religion.  As either loco or McWay said earlier, these people wouldn't exist without God.  They have organized themselves to mimic traditional Christian churches.  The "humanist centers" really take the cake.

Your criteria didn't include anything regarding faith or spirituality did it? Am I blind?  If not, then virtually anything could be a religion and someone should rewrite every existing dictionary. Which was my point.  I'm apparently not the only one who misread and misstated you.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest of it because you neither read or consider anyone's point of view merely repeat yours over and over.  Those humanist centers I posted don't look like anything you propose.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
It doesn't back anything up.  You are taking statements out of context and attaching your own meaning to them to validate your assertions.  It's not even related to worship.

what does:  only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment?

What does it have to do with worship?  If i want to knowledge about a subject or of a thing I'd look to that subject or thing.  That doesn't mean i worship it.  That's really silly.

I can see why you think it, but it's not reality.  I see that your life hinges on the idea of the GOD of the Bible being everything.  You cannot fathom life in any aspect with out an ultimate being as identified in the Bible.

And the atheists' life hinges on the idea that nothing but the natural phenomema exists. If there's any hierachy or order, then it's merely a natural one. Therefore, the highest entity in that order is the ultimate authority. Take a wild guess as to who the highest entity is.

So you have to construct a connection, no matter how ambiguous or irrelevant, to make sense of how anyone else might see things differently to justify your assertions. 

It's cool.  I get it and respect you for it. 

But don't for one minute try and pass off what you put in bold as worship.

That's been answered pretty well in other posts on this thread.  I even provided you a standard. 

And statement 1 and 7 don't mean anything close to what atheist do.

I don't have to construct anything, as the words are there in black and white. They belief that there's nothing beyond the natural and that "Humankind (man) is on his own". If that's the case, why is there such a problem with stating that man is effectively worshipping himself? He believes in nothing he can't detect with his senses or can't grasp with his own logic and reason. He thinks that he is the highest being. Man's logic and reason set the bar for morality, right and wrong, "good" and "evil".

He ain't getting his moral compass from sheep, cattle, and the fowls of the air.

OzmO

• Getbig V

I don't have to construct anything, as the words are there in black and white. They belief that there's nothing beyond the natural and that "Humankind (man) is on his own". If that's the case, why is there such a problem with stating that man is effectively worshipping himself?

As per the definition he is NOT worshiping himself.

Your idea, is that in absence of GOd he must therefore be worshiping himself.  You cannot seem to see life without some sort of worship.  Atheists do.

He believes in nothing he can't detect with his senses or can't grasp with his own logic and reason. He thinks that he is the highest being.

Not true at all.  Based on known evidence yes.  but as the universe is 99.999999999999999999999  unknown.......and they know that.

And if it was, they still don't worship themselves just as monkeys wouldn't if there wasn't man on earth.

And the atheists' life hinges on the idea that nothing but the natural phenomema exists. If there's any hierachy or order, then it's merely a natural one. Therefore, the highest entity in that order is the ultimate authority. Take a wild guess as to who the highest entity is.

Again, known entity, AND they don't, based on the definition, worship the species.

Man's logic and reason set the bar for morality, right and wrong, "good" and "evil".

It may always have and is constantly developing.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
As per the definition he is NOT worshiping himself.

Your idea, is that in absence of GOd he must therefore be worshiping himself.  You cannot seem to see life without some sort of worship.  Atheists do.

Not necessarily. The issue isn't the lack of "worship", but the object of such. In the Christian's case, it's God; in the atheists' case, it's man.

Not true at all.  Based on known evidence yes.  but as the universe is 99.999999999999999999999  unknown.......and they know that.

Oh really!? They appear awfully confident that they ain't going to find any higher being than themselves anytime soon, "This definition means that there are no forces, phenomena, or entities which exist outside of or apart from physical nature, or which transcend nature, or are “super” natural, nor can there be".

That don't sound like "we don't know" or it's "99.9999999999999999% unknown" to me.

Exactly why can there not be any forces or entites that transcend nature (as man knows it, anyway)?

And if it was, they still don't worship themselves just as monkeys wouldn't if there wasn't man on earth.

You are, once again, assuming such would be in the same format as that of Christians or others who worship a supernatural deity.

Again, known entity, AND they don't, based on the definition, worship the species.

Yes, they do. Based on the definition, they do have a sacred personage (that would be man). They hold the logic and reason of man in as high esteem as Christians do the Word of God.

It may always have and is constantly developing.

Developing or not, it's still man's reasoning and logic, not God, that they hold in highest esteem.

OzmO

• Getbig V
Not necessarily. The issue isn't the lack of "worship", but the object of such. In the Christian's case, it's God; in the atheists' case, it's man.

You should get into politics.   :)

It's "only man" becuase you can't see or understand life without an object of worship.

Oh really!? They appear awfully confident that they ain't going to find any higher being than themselves anytime soon, "This definition means that there are no forces, phenomena, or entities which exist outside of or apart from physical nature, or which transcend nature, or are “super” natural, nor can there be".

That don't sound like "we don't know" or it's "99.9999999999999999% unknown" to me.

Exactly why can there not be any forces or entites that transcend nature (as man knows it, anyway)?

I'm not sure what you are getting here.  True atheism allows for the possibility of God, but in the absence of evidence currently there is none.   

the possibility of gaining the 99.99999999999 of unknown universe is very unlikely.
Yes, they do. Based on the definition, they do have a sacred personage (that would be man). They hold the logic and reason of man in as high esteem as Christians do the Word of God.

Are you saying they give the reverence to man as you do to God?   hahahahahaha.  not.

Just from what little i know of you.  You are by far one of the most truest Christians i have ever met.   And you seem to live your life the same way you talk about God.  No way that can be compared to an atheist view of man.

Developing or not, it's still man's reasoning and logic, not God, that they hold in highest esteem.

Holding something in the highest esteem doesn't denote worship. 

And who knows what each athiest holds in their highest esteem category or if they do?   You assume they do becuase of your view on life.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
You should get into politics.   :)

It's "only man" becuase you can't see or understand life without an object of worship.

I'm not sure what you are getting here.  True atheism allows for the possibility of God, but in the absence of evidence currently there is none. 

IF that's the case, these these folks from "www.atheists.org" aren't true atheists, as the statement "Nor can there be" (with regards to the existence of supernatural forces or entities) doesn't allow for any possibility of God existing. 

the possibility of gaining the 99.99999999999 of unknown universe is very unlikely.
Are you saying they give the reverence to man as you do to God?   hahahahahaha.  not.

Maybe not. They may be even MORE devoted to their object of "worship"  ;D .

Just from what little i know of you.  You are by far one of the most truest Christians i have ever met.   And you seem to live your life the same way you talk about God.  No way that can be compared to an atheist view of man.

I thank you for the compliment, but I feel it's an undeserved one, as I fall short of that more times than I care to admit.

Holding something in the highest esteem doesn't denote worship. 

And who knows what each athiest holds in their highest esteem category or if they do?   You assume they do becuase of your view on life.

I may not know what each atheist holds in their highest esteem. But, I can take an educated guess, if he happens to be a member of one of the aforementioned groups, referenced on this thread.

OzmO

• Getbig V
IF that's the case, these these folks from "www.atheists.org" aren't true atheists, as the statement "Nor can there be" (with regards to the existence of supernatural forces or entities) doesn't allow for any possibility of God existing. 

I've heard said by atheists before.  But I'm not anywhere near being truly knowledgeable about atheism save that they don't believe in God in anyway.

Maybe not. They may be even MORE devoted to their object of "worship"   .

heheheheheh

I thank you for the compliment, but I feel it's an undeserved one, as I fall short of that more times than I care to admit.

Yes, the burdens of being human.  But your intent, from what i see, is true.

I may not know what each atheist holds in their highest esteem. But, I can take an educated guess, if he happens to be a member of one of the aforementioned groups, referenced on this thread.

Even though i don't agree, I respect your view on this and see why based on your beliefs why you could conclude that. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Your criteria didn't include anything regarding faith or spirituality did it? Am I blind?  If not, then virtually anything could be a religion and someone should rewrite every existing dictionary. Which was my point.  I'm apparently not the only one who misread and misstated you.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest of it because you neither read or consider anyone's point of view merely repeat yours over and over.  Those humanist centers I posted don't look like anything you propose.

Actually you didn't say anything about faith or spirituality initially.  You misrepresented my comments about why I don't have a problem calling atheism a religion.  You then changed the subject when I pointed out how you clearly misstated by views.  It really isn't necessary to distort my comments to get your point across.  But enough whining.   :)

What I've said previously in the thread is the commonly accepted definitions of religion do include belief in a supernatural power, but that denotative meanings are actually broader, based on the definitions Ozmo posted.  I personally wouldn't include groups like the NRA under that definition, because they don't have all of the activities that I've mentioned. 

I don't read or consider anyone's point of view?  Are you kidding?  Absolutely not true.  Don't confuse my disagreement with failure to consider.  I actually make a sincere effort to understand the opposing point of view, even if I don't agree with it. 

But hey reasonable and unreasonable minds can disagree.   :)

Regarding the humanist centers, I'm sorry but these places sound just like a church.  You've spent time in church.  Are you really saying this doesn't sound like church to you?

Sunday School for Atheists
Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2007 By JENINNE LEE-ST. JOHN / PALO ALTO 
Sunday morning at The Children's Program at the Humanist Community of Palo Alto, California.
Kathrin Miller for TIME

On Sunday mornings, most parents who don't believe in the Christian God, or any god at all, are probably making brunch or cheering at their kids' soccer game, or running errands or, with luck, sleeping in. Without religion, there's no need for church, right?

Maybe. But some nonbelievers are beginning to think they might need something for their children. "When you have kids," says Julie Willey, a design engineer, "you start to notice that your co-workers or friends have church groups to help teach their kids values and to be able to lean on." So every week, Willey, who was raised Buddhist and says she has never believed in God, and her husband pack their four kids into their blue minivan and head to the Humanist Community Center in Palo Alto, Calif., for atheist Sunday school.

An estimated 14% of Americans profess to have no religion, and among 18-to-25-year-olds, the proportion rises to 20%, according to the Institute for Humanist Studies. The lives of these young people would be much easier, adult nonbelievers say, if they learned at an early age how to respond to the God-fearing majority in the U.S. "It's important for kids not to look weird," says Peter Bishop, who leads the preteen class at the Humanist center in Palo Alto. Others say the weekly instruction supports their position that it's O.K. to not believe in God and gives them a place to reinforce the morals and values they want their children to have.

The pioneering Palo Alto program began three years ago, and like-minded communities in Phoenix, Albuquerque, N.M., and Portland, Ore., plan to start similar classes next spring. The growing movement of institutions for kids in atheist families also includes Camp Quest, a group of sleep-away summer camps in five states plus Ontario, and the Carl Sagan Academy in Tampa, Fla., the country's first Humanism-influenced public charter school, which opened with 55 kids in the fall of 2005. Bri Kneisley, who sent her son Damian, 10, to Camp Quest Ohio this past summer, welcomes the sense of community these new choices offer him: "He's a child of atheist parents, and he's not the only one in the world."

Kneisley, 26, a graduate student at the University of Missouri, says she realized Damian needed to learn about secularism after a neighbor showed him the Bible. "Damian was quite certain this guy was right and was telling him this amazing truth that I had never shared," says Kneisley. In most ways a traditional sleep-away camp--her son loved canoeing--Camp Quest also taught Damian critical thinking, world religions and tales of famous freethinkers (an umbrella term for atheists, agnostics and other rationalists) like the black abolitionist Frederick Douglass.

The Palo Alto Sunday family program uses music, art and discussion to encourage personal expression, intellectual curiosity and collaboration. One Sunday this fall found a dozen children up to age 6 and several parents playing percussion instruments and singing empowering anthems like I'm Unique and Unrepeatable, set to the tune of Ten Little Indians, instead of traditional Sunday-school songs like Jesus Loves Me. Rather than listen to a Bible story, the class read Stone Soup, a secular parable of a traveler who feeds a village by making a stew using one ingredient from each home.

Down the hall in the kitchen, older kids engaged in a Socratic conversation with class leader Bishop about the role persuasion plays in decision-making. He tried to get them to see that people who are coerced into renouncing their beliefs might not actually change their minds but could be acting out of self-preservation--an important lesson for young atheists who may feel pressure to say they believe in God.

Atheist parents appreciate this nurturing environment. That's why Kitty, a nonbeliever who didn't want her last name used to protect her kids' privacy, brings them to Bishop's class each week. After Jonathan, 13, and Hana, 11, were born, Kitty says she felt socially isolated and even tried taking them to church. But they're all much more comfortable having rational discussions at the Humanist center. "I'm a person that doesn't believe in myths," Hana says. "I'd rather stick to the evidence."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1686828,00.html

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I've heard said by atheists before.  But I'm not anywhere near being truly knowledgeable about atheism save that they don't believe in God in anyway.

That's why I went to the links provided here. Again, by their own words (at least, those on atheists.org), they are quite confident that there is no God nor can there be one. If I want to know what atheists believe, I simply ask them or link their sites.

The term "anti-theist" is a better fit for many, because there's not just a lack of a belief but a hearty disdain for religion (and sometimes, people of faith).

Even though i don't agree, I respect your view on this and see why based on your beliefs why you could conclude that. 

The feeling's mutual.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Atheism is not a religion. It has no rituals, no creed, nothing of the sort.

No creed? Then, what the heck do you call these:

Atheism is a doctrine that states that nothing exists but natural phenomena (matter), that thought is a property or function of matter, and that death irreversibly and totally terminates individual organic units. This definition means that there are no forces, phenomena, or entities which exist outside of or apart from physical nature, or which transcend nature, or are “super” natural, nor can there be. Humankind is on its own. - From "atheists.org"

Humanism is a democratic and ethical life-stance, which affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives.   We believe that virtues like morality, kindness, justice and generosity derive from natural human values and reason, and are realized fully only when free from belief in supernatural powers and a spiritual afterlife. - New Jersey Humanist Network

Bunch of fucktards....I personally would never join anything like that.

What exactly is your beef with these folks (or others like them)?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
There's one other aspect that the "religion" of atheism shares with religions with supernatural deities: The belief that those who don't think and believe as they do have some moral and/or intellecual flaw or shortcoming.

Christians often referred to themselves as "saved", implying that others who aren't Christians are "lost".

Atheists call themselves "freethinkers", implying that people of faith are "enslaved" mentally. At times, they've called themselves "brights", hinting that believers in God are not so bright (or flat-out stupid).

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
No creed? Then, what the heck do you call these:

Atheism is a doctrine that states that nothing exists but natural phenomena (matter), that thought is a property or function of matter, and that death irreversibly and totally terminates individual organic units. This definition means that there are no forces, phenomena, or entities which exist outside of or apart from physical nature, or which transcend nature, or are “super” natural, nor can there be. Humankind is on its own. - From "atheists.org"

Humanism is a democratic and ethical life-stance, which affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives.   We believe that virtues like morality, kindness, justice and generosity derive from natural human values and reason, and are realized fully only when free from belief in supernatural powers and a spiritual afterlife. - New Jersey Humanist Network

What exactly is your beef with these folks (or others like them)?

Just more primitive tribalism and people's innate need for social activities; I would never join THAT sort of organisation; Dungeons and Dragons conventions, maybe  ;D. I think true atheists are much more like cats, i.e. you can't herd them together. Most of my friends are atheists (I have no theist friends) and they also shun such outward displays of tribalistic neediness.
I hate the State.

Deedee

• Getbig V
Actually you didn't say anything about faith or spirituality initially.  You misrepresented my comments about why I don't have a problem calling atheism a religion.  You then changed the subject when I pointed out how you clearly misstated by views.  It really isn't necessary to distort my comments to get your point across.  But enough whining.   :)

What I've said previously in the thread is the commonly accepted definitions of religion do include belief in a supernatural power, but that denotative meanings are actually broader, based on the definitions Ozmo posted.  I personally wouldn't include groups like the NRA under that definition, because they don't have all of the activities that I've mentioned. 

I don't read or consider anyone's point of view?  Are you kidding?  Absolutely not true.  Don't confuse my disagreement with failure to consider.  I actually make a sincere effort to understand the opposing point of view, even if I don't agree with it. 

But hey reasonable and unreasonable minds can disagree.   :)

Regarding the humanist centers, I'm sorry but these places sound just like a church.  You've spent time in church.  Are you really saying this doesn't sound like church to you?

With me being the unreasonable one I suppose?  :)  I did say something about spirituality right away, but you're right.  Who cares. I really don't see that these Humanist groups are so Church-like, and the first two links I posted couldn't be less "church-like."  But for the sake of argument, let's say that Humanism is a religion, not a world-view or philosophy.

Do they:

1. have a book which tells them to murder all infidels?
2. believe that 72 virgins await dead murderers in heaven?
3. get hysterical if a glass of milk spills onto their filet mignon and throw away a perfectly good piece of meat?
4. have dozens of wives and marry underage children?
5. picket the funerals of soldiers and create even more upset for grieving families?
6. withhold medical attention that would save the lives of their children if it weren't for their beliefs?

Do the women:

7.  shave their heads upon marriage and wear wigs for the rest of their lives?
8.  believe that their bodies are unclean two weeks out of the month and have to race across town to a communal bath before they can love their husbands in the biblical sense?
9.  think it's okay for their husbands to beat them cause it says so in their book?

You and MCWAY are saying the Humanists have the dumbest world-view or tenets because they meet on the weekend and their format is similar to yours, (guess Jews and Christians have first dibs on the weekend, and everyone else gets school nights  ;D) but seems to me, there are stranger ones belonging to other faiths, than believing an appreciation of art and music are one way to enlightenment and that all human beings should be treated ethically and equally.  :-\

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
With me being the unreasonable one I suppose?  :)  I did say something about spirituality right away, but you're right.  Who cares. I really don't see that these Humanist groups are so Church-like, and the first two links I posted couldn't be less "church-like."  But for the sake of argument, let's say that Humanism is a religion, not a world-view or philosophy.

Do they:

1. have a book which tells them to murder all infidels?
2. believe that 72 virgins await dead murderers in heaven?
3. get hysterical if a glass of milk spills onto their filet mignon and throw away a perfectly good piece of meat?
4. have dozens of wives and marry underage children?
5. picket the funerals of soldiers and create even more upset for grieving families?
6. withhold medical attention that would save the lives of their children if it weren't for their beliefs?

Do the women:

7.  shave their heads upon marriage and wear wigs for the rest of their lives?
8.  believe that their bodies are unclean two weeks out of the month and have to race across town to a communal bath before they can love their husbands in the biblical sense?
9.  think it's okay for their husbands to beat them cause it says so in their book?

You and MCWAY are saying the Humanists have the dumbest world-view or tenets because they meet on the weekend and their format is similar to yours, (guess Jews and Christians have first dibs on the weekend, and everyone else gets school nights  ;D) but seems to me, there are stranger ones belonging to other faiths, than believing an appreciation of art and music are one way to enlightenment and that all human beings should be treated ethically and equally.  :-\

Not quite. What I've said is that the primary cause for their meeting isn't art appreciation or music. Nor is it about the ethical/equal treament of human beings. All of those things can be, have been, and are currently done in religious institutions (at least, in the Christian ones).

The focal point of their assembly is based on one doctrine: Their DISBELIEF in a supernatural being and, by default, asserting that man is the highest entity.

Deedee

• Getbig V
As for your “mutual understanding”, (notwithstanding that such is based on humanistic reasoning) saying that “I don’t want (fill in the blank) done to me; so I won’t do that to other people” ain’t the most sound principle in the world. It's quite easy to justify doing something to someone else that you DON'T want done to you.

You may want to have sex with someone else’s wife/girlfriend; but, it’s highly unlikely that you would want another guy to bone your wife/girlfriend. And, even thieves lament when someone takes their possessions from them. And, virtually no murderer wants to be murdered himself; no rapist wants to be raped.

Are you saying belief in God is an infallible deterrent?  There are no Jewish fraudsters or soddomites, no Christian murderers, theives, liars, pedophiles, rapists, serial killers? It can't be that the 15% of the population that are Atheists are commiting all of the crime in the country.

And going back to your other question about where atheists get their morality... mostly it was already answered but it's also a question of consequences. People know that if they murder and steal, society will degenerate and
humanity will extinguish itself.  Even the animal world exhibits some "morality."  They don't generally eat their own species, live in herds for protection, the alpha males protect the females, they cooperate on the hunt, etc.

You may think that God is the beginning and end of your morality, but aside from the Big Ten, man is always evolving in his sense of morality.  You simply can't own slaves today, even though God seems to be okay with it.  You can't sell your daughter for $500 to her rapist, and you can't have your meth-addicted no-good 22-year-old son executed for mouthing off.  We keep changing our morality through the ages.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Are you saying belief in God is an infallible deterrent?  There are no Jewish fraudsters or soddomites, no Christian murderers, theives, liars, pedophiles, rapists, serial killers? It can't be that the 15% of the population that are Atheists are commiting all of the crime in the country.

And going back to your other question about where atheists get their morality... mostly it was already answered but it's also a question of consequences. People know that if they murder and steal, society will degenerate and
humanity will extinguish itself.  Even the animal world exhibits some "morality."  They don't generally eat their own species, live in herds for protection, the alpha males protect the females, they cooperate on the hunt, etc.

For starters, we ain't animals; we're people, unfortunately with sinful nature. What happens when man stops caring about what happens to "society" and "humanity", as long as his fleshy needs get gratified?

You may think that God is the beginning and end of your morality, but aside from the Big Ten, man is always evolving in his sense of morality.  You simply can't own slaves today, even though God seems to be okay with it.  You can't sell your daughter for $500 to her rapist, and you can't have your meth-addicted no-good 22-year-old son executed for mouthing off.  We keep changing our morality through the ages.

Owning slaves isn't an issue, especially since the lion's share of the "slaves" in the OT were what we called "indentured servants". Not that such was mandatory, anyway. Certainly, there were NOT the chattle slaves that blacks were in America.

Once again, you have the rapist thing wrong. First, 50 shekels was about 5-7 years wages. In US dollars today, that's an average of at least $200,000. Secondly, as we've discussed before, the whole issue centered on one aspect: MATERIAL CARE for the victim (the sole reason the rapist is kept alive). And, it's not mandatory that she be married to the victim, anyway. He simply has to cough up the dough or become a "slave" to pay off the debt. Of course, if the victim is already married or bethroed, that care is already in place.....BYE-BYE RAPIST!!!!

As for that last blurb, it takes a whole lot more than "mouthing off" to get the death penalty.

We have changed our morality, throughout the ages. But, it ain't always for the better. Going back to the rapist thing, they can get a light sentence and "paid their debt to society"; meanwhile, the victims are devastated for years to come, with no aid (of any source). Again, the rapist don't foot the medical care for physical wounds or pay for the shrink that the victim may have to see for months/years. Nor, does he pay for back wages lost.