Author Topic: Lying BB Triceps Extension (Skull Crushers)  (Read 4561 times)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
Lying BB Triceps Extension (Skull Crushers)
« on: August 24, 2008, 01:22:56 AM »
Don't normally do this, but decided to try it out a few days ago. I performed it with the upper arms slightly tilted towards my head, so when I lower the bar, it goes past my head instead of down to my forehead. Incase I drop it, this prevents the bar smacking into my head. Also, I felt a much better contraction doing it this way, rather than with the upper arms straight up. I also didn't lock the arms all the way out at the top.

Anyway, I felt this alot in my long head (the main one you see in a front double biceps pose), but not at all in my lateral head. So, as far as different exercises affecting different heads, this seems to be one of them. Give it a go and see if you feel it in your long head too.

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: Lying BB Triceps Extension (Skull Crushers)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 07:09:12 AM »
its just a tricep dude.  ::)

you are spamming this whole board with your long head short head fetish  ::)  ::)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 07:17:23 AM »
its just a tricep dude.  ::)

you are spamming this whole board with your long head short head fetish  ::)  ::)

I'm not spamming. If people go out and do skull crushers the way I did it, and then come back with which head they felt it in, it's an unofficial study on the exercise. Who knows, maybe most people will feel it in their long head. Then we can gather that it does hit the long head moreso than any other.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:11:48 AM »
behind the head is the best way to perform them, way better stretch that way.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:30:44 AM »
behind the head is the best way to perform them, way better stretch that way.

Agreed - I tend to do them both ways depending on how heavy I want to go. On lighter days I go down to forehead very strict. On heavier days I go behind the head and use a small bit of momentum and the greater range of motion to get the weight back up - not as strict of course but still effective nonetheless.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 03:00:09 PM »
I performed it with the upper arms slightly tilted towards my head, so when I lower the bar, it goes past my head instead of down to my forehead.
Anyway, I felt this alot in my long head (the main one you see in a front double biceps pose), but not at all in my lateral head.

Extensions done from behind the head do work the long head of the triceps more than other movements.

If you are looking for other similar movements, consider trying bodyweight triceps extensions done off a bar positioned about waist height. I can’t find a pic., but someone told me that the exercise is detailed in The Arnold Encyclopedia.
Done correctly, they are harder to do than they at first look.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 03:02:34 PM »
Extensions done from behind the head do work the long head of the triceps more than other movements.

If you are looking for other similar movements, consider trying bodyweight triceps extensions done off a bar positioned about waist height. I can’t find a pic., but someone told me that the exercise is detailed in The Arnold Encyclopedia.

those are a great movement, some people call them Tiger Dips, very hard and very effective.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 08:07:26 PM »

how do these work
choice is an illusion

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 09:00:42 PM »
They work quite well.

Sorry...
 ;D

One way:
Stand in a power rack.
Position the hooks at about waist height and set a barbell in them.

Grip the bar with both hands about shoulder width apart.
Stand with your body almost against the bar and, with one foot, take a nice sized step back.
Now move your other foot to meet it.

Feet together.
Bend a bit at the hips.
Tuck your chin.

Bending the arms at the elbows, slowly lower your head under the bar until you get a decent stretch. Keep your elbows pointing down and in with constant tension on the triceps.
The rest of the body remains fairly rigid.
You’ve just done the negative.

Now reverse the above actions and push yourself back to the starting position by basically doing a triceps extension.
Really, that’s all this is, but instead of moving the bar away from your body, you’re moving your body away from the bar.

You’ll probably have to experiment a bit with minor adjustments to bar, feet, and hand positioning to get the right "feeling" for you.
Judging from your pics, I’m confident you’ll know by feel when the movement is right.

So give it a shot and report back.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 03:14:57 AM »
They work quite well.

Sorry...
 ;D

One way:
Stand in a power rack.

Stand with your body almost against the bar and, with one foot, take a nice sized step back.

Feet together.
Bend a bit at the hips.
Tuck your chin.

Bending the arms at the elbows, slowly lower your head under the bar until you get a decent stretch. Keep your elbows pointing down and in with constant tension on the triceps.

Now reverse the above actions and push yourself back to the starting position by basically doing a triceps extension.
Really, that’s all this is, but instead of moving the bar away from your body, you’re moving your body away from the bar.

You’ll probably have to experiment a bit with minor adjustments to bar, feet, and hand positioning to get the right "feeling" for you.
Judging from your pics, I’m confident you’ll know by feel when the movement is right.

thanks a lot man...

i will definetly give it a go....for sure
thanks
mes 8)
choice is an illusion

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 05:37:09 AM »
They work quite well.

Sorry...
 ;D

One way:
Stand in a power rack.

Feet together.
Bend a bit at the hips.
Tuck your chin.

Interesting stuff. Very innovative. Kind of like the Sissy Squat, except for triceps. ;)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 09:28:45 AM »
Those Tricep Push Off's, that Montague suggest, are excellent. Get a full stretch as never before (can almost lower yourself to the mid trap range) and can adjust the resistance by just moving your feet back or forth a matter of inches. And you can do them anywhere, from a strong table, chair, desk, kitchen sink, etc..

After getting adjusted to this exercise, try shifting more of the resistance to one arm and than the other. Alternating the tension for each  rep. Almost like doing a one arm version.

Do not know why this great tricep exercise is not done more now-a-days. Was used in the late '50's, I had been told. Probably most guy's are too concerned with the weight they use, more so than the muscular results they could get. Something like a BB'er obsessed with getting that big 400 bench.Thinking that is the way to gain super mass. Of course this is not always true. Another BB'er, who maybe can only bench 280-300lbs tops , may have much more impressive muscle mass. Genetics or just training BB'ing smart? Good Luck.

F

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 10:32:34 AM »
"Skull crushers" down to the forehead are like triceps pushdowns, probably the two most popular triceps exercises yet neither is particularly effective = nice waste of time. More than half of the guys i see training still do them. Skulls hit the tris less and elbows more plus there's an added risk factor if the weight's ever dropped. Extensions behind and below the head, and as someone mentioned add a little momentum at the bottom just to get it started is similar to cheat curls as well as making it easier on the elbows.

Lying extenions hit the long head the biggest part of the tris better than anything. For medial and lateral heads dips, CG, dip machine, etc.

I've suggested this for years, it's the single best triceps size builder out there. Now i see that someone put something like it up. I do almost same thing, but lying on the bench in the usual direction, not perpendicular as he's doing and keep the weight higher, above the forehead at the starting point.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 11:23:19 AM »
pumpster you always deliver the goods..
i love learning new excersises..
i have never  thought to do two arm dumbell extensions like that
cant wait to try them also on friday
especially as the ez bar has been missing for 3 months now
ive been doing skull crushers with the olympic bar every week...

question
on the dumbell extensions described

do you lockout?
do you keep the whole movement behind the head or do u bring it over the body on lockout?
choice is an illusion

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 12:08:10 PM »
Sure looks like that guy in the video is doing bent arm pullovers rather than any pure form of tricep extensions.  Seems also his lat's and even pec's are getting a good share of work. Which all add up to DB bent arm pullovers. Which are my favorite exercise for lat's ,pec's and triceps. Also the rib box and it's attachments get worked. Usually use two DB or a BB. But DB's (one or two) can give a better full stretch. Really no need to lockout at any time.

If he was doing a complete bent arm pullover with a DB's/Bar,than they would come to touch his chest area and than be push back over and behind his body again. Kind of hard with that single DB in the video. But never the less he is doing a version of the bent arm pullover. A straight arm pullover would be with the elbows semi locked, but not bent to any extreme.

J&M presses are another great movement for the triceps. As are DB lying extensions, where the DB will touch the pec's each rep, rather than going straight back along side the head. Skull crushers are partial tricep extensions, which can work very well for most. Seen a couple of guy's handle a bit over the 300 mark in this one. Elbows  not problem for them, though this may not hold true for everyone. Might try a EZ bar rather than a straight bar. You pick you own poison when choosing any exercise. Good Luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 05:04:47 AM »
Sure looks like that guy in the video is doing bent arm pullovers rather than any pure form of tricep extensions. 

That's the main difference with my verions, I use an extension movement, returning the weight to a place higher up on the face. The other thing is that i do them lying on the bench in the usual direction, not across the bench like he's doing, which changes the angle.

Even pullovers do in fact work the tris reasonably well.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 05:10:12 AM »
pumpster you always deliver the goods..
i love learning new excersises..
i have never  thought to do two arm dumbell extensions like that
cant wait to try them also on friday
especially as the ez bar has been missing for 3 months now
ive been doing skull crushers with the olympic bar every week...

question
on the dumbell extensions described

do you lockout?
do you keep the whole movement behind the head or do u bring it over the body on lockout?

Thanks man always appreciate your feedback as one of the serious BBs here. Please get back to me a day or two after trying them with some feedback. I doubt you'll ever use the olympic bar again after these. Lie on the bench in the usual direction for extensions, not across the bench like he's doing.

Yes, i lockout and do them as an extension movement; it's just like doing seated dumbbell extensions but lying down. The weight is lowered far below the head, off the end of the bench just like with a pullover, but use an extension motion by bending the elbows-elbows don't have to be kept rigid, doesn't matter their position. Then bring it back over the top of the face. Just make sure that the weight is lowered as far back below the bench as possible for maximum stretch, then use a little momentum at the very bottom to get it going the first few inches. That seriously reduces elbow stress. The pump from these is insane.

As far as grips, two hands around a dumbbell or a hammer triceps bar work best IMO. The big advantage with using a dumbbell is that it can be left standing on one end in vertical position on the floor behind the bench between sets, then grabbed off the floor to begin each set while lying there so getting hold of the weight at the beginning of each set takes no effort.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 07:40:08 AM »
Thanks man always appreciate your feedback as one of the serious BBs here. Please get back to me a day or two after trying them with some feedback. I doubt you'll ever use the olympic bar again after these. Lie on the bench in the usual direction for extensions, not across the bench like he's doing.

Yes, i lockout and do them as an extension movement; it's just like doing seated dumbbell extensions but lying down. The weight is lowered far below the head, off the end of the bench just like with a pullover, but use an extension motion by bending the elbows-elbows don't have to be kept rigid, doesn't matter their position. Then bring it back over the top of the face. Just make sure that the weight is lowered as far back below the bench as possible for maximum stretch, then use a little momentum at the very bottom to get it going the first few inches. That seriously reduces elbow stress. The pump from these is insane.

As far as grips, two hands around a dumbbell or a hammer triceps bar work best IMO. The big advantage with using a dumbbell is that it can be left standing on one end in vertical position on the floor behind the bench between sets, then grabbed off the floor to begin each set while lying there so getting hold of the weight at the beginning of each set takes no effort.

I would also add to this that one can use individual DBs, similar to the hammer grip bar, which adds a different twist to the movement and works each arm individually.
Squishy face retard

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 08:34:34 AM »
I suppose a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. The version shown in the video has the benefit of a full tricep stretch with partials reps at the overhead lockout point. Also the lats will be affected strongly. A couple of days after doing this exercise should prove that. Pullovers, straight (slightly bent elbows) and bent arm, affect the whole torso. A lot of guy's include them in a lat/back building program. Also can give more flexibility to the rib box and shoulder girdle.

As far as regular bent arm pullovers go, might try adding a bench press motion to it. Hence the Pullover & Press. Can push the triceps to another level. Not to mention the pec's and anterior delts. The grip will be close, so much better for hitting the triceps fully.

If I was forced to do only one upper body exercise it would be the Pullover & Press. In the past, doing that combo exercise with the GVT system have given very impressive results. Good Luck.
F

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 12:23:54 PM »
jpm... montague wsup i tricep extension on a fixed bar using my body weight great very good

pumpster you came through again man.. dumbell two arm lying extension.. best tri excersise especially for hitting the outer head damn damn damn.. funny enough ive never seen it in magazines...
little or no stress on the elbows at all and direct stress to the tris
easily one of the best tri excersises if not the best..
and i was only trying them on the end of my chest session
pumpster i salute you.

choice is an illusion