Author Topic: How many people here actually believe prayer has an affect on anything?  (Read 35086 times)

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
Re: How many people here actually believe prayer has an affect on anything?
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »
Then he got shot four times in Las Vegas and died. Where was God then?
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 12:44:59 PM »
that karma
w

boonstack

• Getbig IV
  • watch out ladies... chaos is on the prowl
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 12:46:11 PM »
Prove to me that Zeus and Poseidon don't exist.

exactly. Thats what im saying. We cant just believe "the bible" bc it has the overall "ultimate message"... there is difficulty differentiating between different beliefs in past. I agree with u

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 12:47:05 PM »
Useless drivel... ::)

Agreed. Declaring yourself an atheist or not has nothing to do with having a clue about anything.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 12:48:06 PM »
God is fair to everything. Not only toward life but also death. ;)

arce377

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 12:48:29 PM »
ALL that Lives...Dies. That is it.
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

arce377

• Getbig IV
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 12:50:39 PM »
ALL that Lives...Dies. That is it.
Yes. The circulation of Ying and Yang. The motor of existance.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 12:51:18 PM »

I actually think that guy is just joking. It's just too much.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »
religion is only a tool to control people. hence religion is for sheeps.  :)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2008, 12:52:58 PM »
Yes. The circulation of Ying and Yang. The motor of existance.

It's existence.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »
decide are u aethist or sumthing weird?

Are you a gaytroll or something similar? Never mind- you already answered that question  ;D

arce377

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2008, 12:54:01 PM »
Comparison of some life events of Horus and Jesus:
Event    Horus    Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus
Conception:    By a virgin. There is some doubt about this matter    By a virgin. 8
Father:    Only begotten son of the God Osiris.    Only begotten son of Yehovah (in the form of the Holy Spirit).
Mother:    Meri. 9    Miriam (a.k.a. Mary).
Foster father:    Seb, (Jo-Seph). 9    Joseph.
Foster father's ancestry:    Of royal descent.    Of royal descent.
Birth location:    In a cave.    In a cave or stable.
Annunciation:    By an angel to Isis, his mother.    By an angel to Miriam, his mother. 8
Birth heralded by:    The star Sirius, the morning star.    An unidentified "star in the East."
Birth date:    Ancient Egyptians paraded a manger and child representing Horus through the streets at the time of the winter solstice (typically DEC-21).    Celebrated on DEC-25. The date was chosen to occur on the same date as the birth of Mithra, Dionysus and the Sol Invictus (unconquerable Sun), etc.
Birth announcement:    By angels.    By angels. 8
Birth witnesses:    Shepherds.    Shepherds. 8
Later witnesses to birth:    Three solar deities.    Three wise men. 8
Death threat during infancy:    Herut tried to have Horus murdered.    Herod tried to have Jesus murdered.
Handling the threat:    The God That tells Horus' mother "Come, thou goddess Isis, hide thyself with thy child."    An angel tells Jesus' father to: "Arise and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt."
Rite of passage ritual:    Horus came of age with a special ritual,  when his eye was restored.    Taken by parents to the temple for what is today called a bar mitzvah ritual.
Age at the ritual:    12    12
Break in life history:    No data between ages of 12 & 30.    No data between ages of 12 & 30.
Baptism location:    In the river Eridanus.    In the river Jordan.
Age at baptism:    30.    30.
Baptized by:    Anup the Baptiser.    John the Baptist.
Subsequent fate of the baptiser:    Beheaded.    Beheaded.
Temptation:    Taken from the desert of Amenta up a high mountain by his arch-rival Sut. Sut (a.k.a. Set) was a precursor for the Hebrew Satan.    Taken from the desert in Palestine up a high mountain by his arch-rival Satan.
Result of temptation:    Horus resists temptation.    Jesus resists temptation.
Close followers:    Twelve disciples. There is some doubt about this matter as well.    Twelve disciples.
Activities:    Walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, restored sight to the blind. He "stilled the sea by his power."    Walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, restored sight to the blind. He ordered the sea with a "Peace, be still" command.
Raising of the dead:    Horus raised Osirus, his dead father,  from the grave. 10    Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave.
Location where the resurrection miracle occurred:    Anu, an Egyptian city where the rites of the death, burial and resurrection of Horus were enacted annually. 10    Hebrews added their prefix for house ('beth") to "Anu" to produce "Beth-Anu" or the "House of Anu." Since "u" and "y" were interchangeable in antiquity, "Bethanu" became "Bethany," the location mentioned in John 11.
Origin of Lazarus' name in the Gospel of John:         Asar was an alternative name for Osirus, Horus' father, who Horus raised from the dead. He was referred to as "the Asar," as a sign of respect. Translated into Hebrew, this is "El-Asar." The Romans added the prefix "us" to indicate a male name, producing "Elasarus." Over time, the "E" was dropped and "s" became "z," producing "Lazarus." 10
Transfigured:    On a mountain.    On a high mountain.
Key address(es):    Sermon on the Mount.    Sermon on the Mount; Sermon on the Plain.
Method of death    By crucifixion.    By crucifixion.
Accompanied by:    Two thieves.    Two thieves.
Burial    In a tomb.    In a tomb.
Fate after death:    Descended into Hell; resurrected after three days.    Descended into Hell; resurrected after about 30 to 38 hours (Friday PM to presumably some time in Sunday AM) covering parts of three days.
Resurrection announced by:    Women.    Women.
Future:    Reign for 1,000 years in the Millennium.    Reign for 1,000 years in the Millennium.

horizontal rule
Comparison of some characteristics of Horus and Jesus:
Characteristics    Horus    Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus
Nature"    Regarded as a mythical character.    Regarded as a 1st century CE human man-god.
Main role:    Savior of humanity.    Savior of humanity.
Common portrayal:    Virgin Isis holding the infant Horus.    Virgin Mary holding the infant Jesus.
Title:    KRST, the anointed one.    Christ, the anointed one.
Other names:    The good shepherd, the lamb of God, the bread of life, the son of man, the Word, the fisher, the winnower.    The good shepherd, the lamb of God, the bread of life, the son of man, the Word, the fisher, the winnower.
Zodiac sign:    Associated with Pisces, the fish.    Associated with Pisces, the fish.
Main symbols:    Fish, beetle, the vine, shepherd's crook.    Fish, beetle, the vine, the shepherd's crook.

horizontal rule
Comparison of some teachings of Horus and Jesus:
Characteristics    Horus    Yeshua of Nazareth, a.k.a. Jesus
Criteria for salvation at the place of judgment:    "I have given bread to the hungry man and water to the thirsty man and clothing to the naked person and a boat to the shipwrecked mariner." 11    "For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me..." Matthew 25:35-36 (KJV).
"I am" statements    
bullet   "I am Horus in glory...I am the Lord of Light...I am the victorious one...I am the heir of endless time...I, even I, am he that knoweth the paths of heaven." 12
bullet   "I am Horus, the Prince of Eternity."
bullet   "I am Horus who stepeth onward through eternity...Eternity and everlastingness is my name."
bullet   "I am the possessor of bread in Anu. I have bread in heaven with Ra."

bullet   "I am the light of the world....I am the way, the truth and the life."
bullet   "Before Abraham was, I am"
bullet   "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and today and forever."
bullet   "I am the living bread that came down from heaven."

(From the Gospel of John)

horizontal rule
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

S_Samuel

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2008, 12:57:34 PM »

WHAT AN IDIOT!

How is being an atheist making you live in a make believe world? Wouldn't it be the other way around?

Fuckin dumbass christian piece of shit... ignorant as the day is long...  ::)

S_Samuel

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2008, 12:59:46 PM »
Only a moron prays.

Atheism is the only rational choice.

;D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally, another person who makes up his mind and doesnt believe the spoon fed bullshit of a god that you pray to.

S_Samuel

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2008, 01:02:55 PM »

Some dumbass on a motorcycle thinks he's got everything figured out lol

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2008, 01:04:13 PM »
religion is only a tool to control people. hence religion is for sheeps.  :)

Sheep...
I hate the State.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2008, 01:07:10 PM »
Fuckin dumbass christian piece of shit.

:D :D :D

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2008, 01:08:04 PM »
Interesting article

God on the Brain

Rudi Affolter and Gwen Tighe have both experienced strong religious visions. He is an atheist; she a Christian. He thought he had died; she thought she had given birth to Jesus. Both have temporal lobe epilepsy.

Like other forms of epilepsy, the condition causes fitting but it is also associated with religious hallucinations. Research into why people like Rudi and Gwen saw what they did has opened up a whole field of brain science: neurotheology.

The connection between the temporal lobes of the brain and religious feeling has led one Canadian scientist to try stimulating them. (They are near your ears.) 80% of Dr Michael Persinger's experimental subjects report that an artificial magnetic field focused on those brain areas gives them a feeling of 'not being alone'. Some of them describe it as a religious sensation.

His work raises the prospect that we are programmed to believe in god, that faith is a mental ability humans have developed or been given. And temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) could help unlock the mystery.

Religious leaders

History is full of charismatic religious figures. Could any of them have been epileptics? The visions seen by Bible characters like Moses or Saint Paul are consistent with Rudi's and Gwen's, but there is no way to diagnose TLE in people who lived so long ago.

There are, though, more recent examples, like one of the founders of the Seventh Day Adventist Movement, Ellen White. Born in 1827, she suffered a brain injury aged 9 that totally changed her personality. She also began to have powerful religious visions.

Representatives of the Movement doubt that Ellen White suffered from TLE, saying her injury and visions are inconsistent with the condition, but neurologist Gregory Holmes believes this explains her condition.

Better than sex

The first clinical e
vidence to link the temporal lobes with religious sensations came from monitoring how TLE patients responded to sets of words. In an experiment where people were shown either neutral words (table), erotic words (sex) or religious words (god), the control group was most excited by the sexually loaded words. This was picked up as a sweat response on the skin. People with temporal lobe epilepsy did not share this apparent sense of priorities. For them, religious words generated the greatest reaction. Sexual words were less exciting than neutral ones.

Make believe

If the abnormal brain activity of TLE patients alters their response to religious concepts, could altering brain patterns artificially do the same for people with no such medical condition? This is the question that Michael Persinger set out to explore, using a wired-up helmet designed to concentrate magnetic fields on the temporal lobes of the wearer.

His subjects were not told the precise purpose of the test; just that the experiment looked into relaxation. 80% of participants reported feeling something when the magnetic fields were applied. Persinger calls one of the common sensations a 'sensed presence', as if someone else is in the room with you, when there is none.

Horizon introduced Dr Persinger to one of Britain's most renowned atheists, Prof Richard Dawkins. He agreed to try his techniques on Dawkins to see if he could give him a moment of religious feeling. During a session that lasted 40 minutes, Dawkins found that the magnetic fields around his temporal lobes affected his breathing and his limbs. He did not find god.

Persinger was not disheartened by Dawkins' immunity to the helmet's magnetic powers. He believes that the sensitivity of our temporal lobes to magnetism varies from person to person. People with TLE may be especially sensitive to magnetic fields; Prof Dawkins is well below average, it seems. It's a concept that clerics like Bishop Stephen Sykes give some credence as well: could there be such a thing as a talent for religion?

Brain imaging

Sykes does, though, see a great difference between a 'sensed presence' and a genuine religious experience. Scientists like Andrew Newberg want to see just what does happen during moments of faith. He worked with Buddhist, Michael Baime, to study the brain during meditation. By injecting radioactive tracers into Michael's bloodstream as he reached the height of a meditative trance, Newberg could use a brain scanner to image the brain at a religious climax.

The bloodflow patterns showed that the temporal lobes were certainly involved but also that the brain's parietal lobes appeared almost completely to shut down. The parietal lobes give us our sense of time and place. Without them, we may lose our sense of self. Adherants to many of the world's faiths regard a sense of personal insignificance and oneness with a deity as something to strive for. Newberg's work suggests a neurological basis for what religion tries to generate.

Religious evolution

If brain function offers insight into how we experience religion, does it say anything about why we do? There is evidence that people with religious faith have longer, healthier lives. This hints at a survival benefit for religious people. Could we have evolved religious belief?

Prof Dawkins (who subscribes to evolution to explain human development) thinks there could be an evolutionary advantage, not to believing in god, but to having a brain with the capacity to believe in god. That such faith exists is a by-product of enhanced intelligence. Prof Ramachandran denies that finding out how the brain reacts to religion negates the value of belief. He feels that brain circuitry like that Persinger and Newberg have identified, could amount to an antenna to make us receptive to god. Bishop Sykes meanwhile, thinks religion has nothing to fear from this neuroscience. Science is about seeking to explain the world around us. For him at least, it can co-exist with faith.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2008, 01:11:16 PM »
shut up deadlord nobody wannas read your cut pste crap
all u know about is mma and stalk me
go back sumewhere eklse
w

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2008, 01:12:29 PM »
go back sumewhere eklse

Ha ha ha

Another meltdown from natfag83 after being outed again.
You wouldn't happen to be religious by any chance would ya?
God hates gays ;D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2008, 01:16:24 PM »
go back sumewhere eklse

Why? His post is very interesting...
I hate the State.

arce377

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »
At least MMA is real.
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2008, 01:19:14 PM »
I talk about religion here. ;)
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=405018828&blogID=426805416

I think that pretty much sums up everything. If now deicide could please proof read that, that would be great.