Author Topic: How many people here actually believe prayer has an affect on anything?  (Read 35074 times)

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
Re: How many people here actually believe prayer has an affect on anything?
« Reply #250 on: August 25, 2008, 08:12:32 PM »
Again...answer the question goudy...WHY put the ear back on? If the man is going to die...and his spirit to heaven? WHY did Jesus NOT save the people from 10,000 BCE? 05,000 BCE? He came, and did NOTHING for them. NOTHING. And WHY 2009 years ago? WHY pick that arbitrary number? You DO see how NONE of this makes ANY sense...RIGHT? Or are you still making Creflo Dollar RICHER?
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #253 on: August 26, 2008, 01:48:29 AM »
Weak-willed??? Hmmm....That's rich, This coming from someone blubbering and cursing over someone he doens't believe to exist.

As far as regurgitating goes, that honor falls on you, as yet another run-of-the-mill atheist recycles one tired catchphrase after another. You guys need some new material.

With regards to your obsession with pedophile priests, this ain't the first time people of the cloth has abused their authority and hurt others and it won't be the last. God dealt with those in the past who did such; He will do so with those who currently do that.

Of course, once that happens, I'm sure you (and your godless brethren) will revert to the usual hollering, this time about how cruel God is for sending judgment on evil-doers. If not that, you'll find some other way to resemble a three-year-old brat, who just got his favorite cookie taken from him.

And all of these histrionics over someone in whom you DON'T believe. And, you guys think we're nuts!!!!  ::)

The only brat i see  is  you  - sobbing and melting down whenever your precious faith is challenged. All you do is regurgitate the same old crap while clutching your security blanket. I guess you still believe in Santa claus and the Easter bunny as well....and your 405lb bench press ;D

Calm down and catch your breath McWay. I'm just having some fun at your expense. Incidentally, i never said religion should be abolished. It has its uses - keeping sheep like you in line with fear of the unknown.
I can only imagine what would happen if your security blanket was taken away from ya. The mental breakdown would be horrific.  :D

As for as the pedo question goes - you didn't answer the question. I didn't ask you about those scumbags. I asked you why your god chooses to let it happen. Who cares about punishment after the act has been perpetrated. Its too late. Prevention now is always better than punishment later. Incidentally, how do you know that god has dealt with the pedos? Did he tell you that?  ;)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #254 on: August 26, 2008, 01:59:56 AM »
AND WOULD YOU RESPECT YOUR SONS DECISION OR CONTINUE TO FORCEFEED HIM THE SAME BS .

Epic dodging the question...
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: August 26, 2008, 06:15:36 AM »

Of course there is a possibility that gods exist;

:) !

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: August 26, 2008, 06:17:29 AM »
. Most rational atheists would be a 6, just like you would be a 2 (likely).

Thanks for the "(likely)"  ;D

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #257 on: August 26, 2008, 06:34:02 AM »

As to why I talk about religion here and elsewhere on the net; I need some form of entertainment. In real life I never think about god/gods nor talk about such things with my friends (they are rational); admittedly I am more of an antitheist than many of my atheist friends who think theism and religion are silly but don't otherwise bother with it but I think it is harmful. We know the world is not 6,000 years old and yet people insist not only on believing it is, they insist on telling their children it is as well. Religion (especially your sort of fundamentalist religion) clouds the mind, is rigid and is entirely solipsistic in its nature. Anyway...there you go. At the end of the day it simply baffles me how people can believe such utter falsehood such as talking snakes and sinful apples and all the rest of the junk.

It seems like you get irritated and angry when posting about God/religion but I could be inferring that incorrectly from your posts.  It seems like entertainment should be enjoyable but I guess it could also be relief from boredom. 

I realize you think that religions and Christianity are silly, but do you really think that true Christianity is harmful? 

And as we've covered on the religion board, the scriptures do not indicate an age of the earth at all.  Not all Christians embrace the concept of a 6000 year old earth.

Oh, and are you saying that Christianity is solipsistic?  Is solipsistic the word you meant to use?
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: August 26, 2008, 06:38:59 AM »
Hah - Are you insinuating that the most/all  atheists were raised catholic?

No.  But this statement of yours sounds a lot like what I've heard from Catholics I know (although they put it a bit differently ;D).  I assume not that all the Catholic churches teach things like that though.

"The church's viewpoint is - shut the frag up and don't ask questions. Do what we tell you because we know what the imaginary father figure wants us to do  ."
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #259 on: August 26, 2008, 06:47:57 AM »

Since you were so curious stella maybe you'd like to answer my question
Why is it that God allows priests to sodomize young kids in his own house? Surely god should be protecting the young innocent and faithful when they are abused by members of his own clergy?

By [God's] house are you talking about the Catholic church?  I don't really see that as "God's house" and I don't see some priests as God's clergy.

But let me answer the question this way....why does God allow some kids to be molested when he could smash the the sick pedos doing the molesting?  My answer is that I don't know.

I believe we all have free will and often choose to do sinful things.  But I also believe that God can stop things from happening if He chooses to do so.  I think certain times when we suffer we grow in character, learn, etc.  But why does He allow child molestation/abuse or animal cruelty etc?  I just don't know. 
R

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #260 on: August 26, 2008, 07:06:13 AM »
I am proud that I am not the only GETBIG Atheist!

Seems like I share great company.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #261 on: August 26, 2008, 07:16:47 AM »
By [God's] house are you talking about the Catholic church?  I don't really see that as "God's house" and I don't see some priests as God's clergy.

But let me answer the question this way....why does God allow some kids to be molested when he could smash the the sick pedos doing the molesting?  My answer is that I don't know.

I believe we all have free will and often choose to do sinful things.  But I also believe that God can stop things from happening if He chooses to do so.  I think certain times when we suffer we grow in character, learn, etc.  But why does He allow child molestation/abuse or animal cruelty etc?  I just don't know. 

Finally!!!!

someone is straightforward. I don't agree with your views on God Stella but i appreciate your honesty in saying you don't know rather than try to cover it up with some religious psychobabble like Mcway (Mr 405 Bench)does. The first step towards understanding is admitting that we don't have all the answers hence the need to ask questions and explore.

BTW I  wasn't referring to just Christianity. I was referring to all religions (muslims/hindus, etc) when I get on my high horse.  :D

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #262 on: August 26, 2008, 07:18:06 AM »
I am proud that I am not the only GETBIG Atheist!

Seems like I share great company.

Damn straight- the search for knowledge continues......

djohnsen

• Getbig II
« Reply #263 on: August 26, 2008, 07:21:55 AM »
Only a moron prays.

Atheism is the only rational choice.

Only a moron is an atheist.

Thinking that the world and all the systems we depend upon to live
is created by a big bang is not rational, just plain stupid.

Like it or not something is out there.. ;)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #264 on: August 26, 2008, 07:41:54 AM »
It seems like you get irritated and angry when posting about God/religion but I could be inferring that incorrectly from your posts.  It seems like entertainment should be enjoyable but I guess it could also be relief from boredom. 

I realize you think that religions and Christianity are silly, but do you really think that true Christianity is harmful? 

And as we've covered on the religion board, the scriptures do not indicate an age of the earth at all.  Not all Christians embrace the concept of a 6000 year old earth.

Oh, and are you saying that Christianity is solipsistic?  Is solipsistic the word you meant to use?

Yes, absolutely. The entire focus on 'personal salvation' and saving one's 'soul'; it's one of the purest forms of egotism in existence.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #265 on: August 26, 2008, 07:43:57 AM »

Mind you, not all religions are the same; Christianity just takes the cake in terms of stupidity I would have to say.
I hate the State.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #266 on: August 26, 2008, 07:45:25 AM »
Only a moron is an atheist.

Thinking that the world and all the systems we depend upon to live
is created by a big bang is not rational, just plain stupid.

Like it or not something is out there.. ;)
Ha! This statement is as overarching and ignorant as those of whom you criticize. Try again.  ;)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #267 on: August 26, 2008, 07:46:51 AM »
Damn straight- the search for knowledge continues......

Word...
I hate the State.

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #268 on: August 26, 2008, 08:35:02 AM »
Mind you, not all religions are the same; Christianity just takes the cake in terms of stupidity I would have to say.
I disagree.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #269 on: August 26, 2008, 08:36:31 AM »
I disagree.

On what point do you disagree?
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: August 26, 2008, 09:55:27 AM »
Yes, absolutely. The entire focus on 'personal salvation' and saving one's 'soul'; it's one of the purest forms of egotism in existence.

I actually don't believe that Christianity has anything to do with egotism.  As far as I know it's the only belief system that states there are no works we can do to attain or maintain our own salvation. 

In fact, Ephesian 2:8,9 states:  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:  Not of works, lest any man should boast.

OK here is the definition of solipsism:

sol·ip·sism (slp-szm, slp-)
n. Philosophy
1. The theory that the self is the only thing that can be known and verified.
2. The theory or view that the self is the only reality.

Christianity does not embrace that the self is the only thing that is real or can be known.  In fact, Christianity teaches that God is real and can be known personally.
R

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #271 on: August 26, 2008, 09:59:11 AM »
I actually don't believe that Christianity has anything to do with egotism.  As far as I know it's the only belief system that states there are no works we can do to attain or maintain our own salvation. 

In fact, Ephesian 2:8,9 states:  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:  Not of works, lest any man should boast.

OK here is the definition of solipsism:

sol·ip·sism (slp-szm, slp-)
n. Philosophy
1. The theory that the self is the only thing that can be known and verified.
2. The theory or view that the self is the only reality.

Christianity does not embrace that the self is the only thing that is real or can be known.  In fact, Christianity teaches that God is real and can be known personally.

The way Christians act suggests otherwise. The SELFobession with salvation; it's a deal breaker and then the need to go out and 'save' others to confirm one's own delusion and obsession with the self IS solipistic.
I hate the State.

BlueDevil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #272 on: August 26, 2008, 10:00:20 AM »

Proverbs 21:19 (New Living Translation)

It is better to live alone in the desert than with a crabby, complaining wife.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #273 on: August 26, 2008, 10:02:18 AM »
but I think it is harmful.

OK, but do you think true Christianity is harmful?  If so, why?
R

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #274 on: August 26, 2008, 10:02:36 AM »
Proverbs 21:19 (New Living Translation)

It is better to live alone in the desert than with a crabby, complaining wife.

Yes, one does find the occasional pearl of wisdom in the shit stack called the Bible.
I hate the State.